Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: He gone.  (Read 11319 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: He gone.
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2019, 08:29:47 PM »
Nailed it Billy

Your favorite basketball coach was silent from January to March

Not Billy, and not sure who my favorite basketball coach is. I know the coach of one of the universities I went to was doing quite well January to early March, when you were silent.  So not sure what exactly you mean. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2019, 08:30:46 PM »
I think we should really be on the lookout for a Harry Froling type. It's what this team really needs.

I was thinking we just sign a DJ Newbill type and call it a day.....then tell him he doesn't have a spot.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2019, 08:35:40 PM »
Chico, a Crean supporter can't throw Newbill stones.  You know Crean over signed too.   Damian Saunders ring a bell?   He sure did at Duquesne after Crean cut him loose after oversigning. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 06:25:11 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2019, 10:16:24 AM »
Chico, a Crean supporter can't throw Newbill stones.  You know Crean over signed too.   Damian Saunders ring a bell?   He sure did at Duquesne after Crean cut him loose after oversigning.

Fine by me, Damian Saunders, as well.

If I recall, we offered, he signed, Dominic then decides he is staying so we kept one of our own players as we had no scholarships. There was talk of him also not qualifying, but I don’t know how legit that is.

Newbill was passed over at the 11th hour because Jamil Wilson wanted to transfer to us (after Oregon accused us of tampering by the way) so we told Newbill to hit the road and all the while saying things like the dog ate Newbill’s LOI, and the fax didn’t work, he didn’t get it in on time, etc, etc.

But I have no problem with Saunders example.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »
Newbill ended up with a nice collegiate career.  How many knew he ended up with 2,105 points scored?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dj-newbill-1.html

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2019, 03:45:56 PM »
Newbill ended up with a nice collegiate career.  How many knew he ended up with 2,105 points scored?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dj-newbill-1.html

Does he qualify as Marquette’s leading scorer?

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2019, 01:24:55 AM »
Not scientific or anything, but flipping through current NBA rosters, I only see two players in the entire league listed under six feet tall.  Granted, player heights can be fudged, but the point is that you need to be very, very special to play in the NBA at that size.  Markus doesn't have super quickness or great ballhandling skills, and will he be able to defend bigger guards, let alone get his shot with a 6'6" long-armed NBA guard defending him?

No....he won't. Even Trey Young of the Hawks [if you consider Markus Howard equivalent to him as some might] is being taken to school on the defensive end...But the ballhandling for Young is far better and court vision as well.

I see G-League. Is he even better than Jimmer Freddette? Maybe a Seth Curry type in the NBA after bouncing around a bit.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2019, 01:49:00 AM »
https://www.12news.com/article/news/markus-howard-weighing-nba-options-after-first-round-ncaa-exit/75-b5047aed-34ce-40bf-9ca8-e2c0e4f098b8

Well, he is thinking about it.  Good read also about contract stuff, but not the fact there are not any 5ft 11 point guards, who can't dribble out of double teams, in the NBA. 
HE SHOULD LEAVE....he is not going to get any better if he stays. The only reason he stays is if he thinks he can help MU win a National title.

But in my opinion, he clashes with the Hauser boys...they have to get the ball in the right spots and should not be clogging the post with a guy who has trouble making entry passes to flashing and cutting players.

In the game of college basketball guards thrive. He is a great shot creator and shot taker and maker. But not the type of guy who should be your #1 guy throughout the year. If he is, you are a quick exit.

He is a tandem guy who has to pair with the right guy in the backcourt next to him. THAT WAS GREG ELLIOT until he went down. MU might have won the Big East and still be playing if Greg was healthy and Cain played more with him at times and or alongside him.

Chartouny was useless. Markus is not a 'switchable' like Coach Buzz used to say, but a tweener or hybrid combo guard that MU does not need to be dominating the ball. But hey, it worked for much of the season and they were as low as #7 in the polls.

But he should go. If Greg returns and Koby McEwen can play...they are better suited to go with the Hauser's and Theo. You need a stout and strong PG who can guard the ball and get through traps and dbl teams and press the ball himself and not get manhandled.

You need to bring some physicality and toughness to that position and be able to get in the lane at will and draw and kick to the wings or take it to the rack and finish as well. Also, please get someone who can feed the post and play off it in the half court and make a decent entry pass!   

Put it this way....if Markus Howard was the only guy to leave along with Chartouny and no one else, and if everyone else came back and the in-coming class I do not think MU will be worse, just different. And in a good way...

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2019, 01:51:12 AM »
When do you guys think he would announce? Monday? After the tournament?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2019, 06:41:29 AM »
HE SHOULD LEAVE....he is not going to get any better if he stays. The only reason he stays is if he thinks he can help MU win a National title.

I'm curious why people think he wouldn't get better. Freshman to sophomore year he improved his driving ability & added the floater. Sophomore to junior year he improved his defense & and added the stepback three. Based on past history, there's really no player who would seem more likely to improve than Howard because he has actively improved each year.

Chartouny was useless. Markus is not a 'switchable' like Coach Buzz used to say, but a tweener or hybrid combo guard that MU does not need to be dominating the ball. But hey, it worked for much of the season and they were as low as #7 in the polls.

You are misremembering Buzz's recruiting philosophy. He said he wanted to get a point guard & a big every year, and the rest would be switchables. Junior wasn't recruited to be switchable. Neither were Derrick nor Duane. While here, the 1 & 5 positions weren't meant to be switchables for Buzz.

I agree that a better Markus would make for a better Marquette. Maybe focusing on distribution more. Maybe paired with a second ballhandler to share the load & hopefully lessen the turnovers by giving him a consistent outlet. Maybe playing fewer minutes so he's more rested for high leverage situations. I just don't see any way this team would be better in 2019-20 without Markus than with.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2019, 07:04:37 AM »
I agree MH should stay.  With his late season slide there is no way he gets guaranteed money.
Come back on a team that should be top 15 all year, show that you can preform in big games against NBA level talent and in the tournament.  Then maybe he gets guaranteed money.  If not he's only lost 1 year for a kid who's young anyway.
Break the MU scoring record by a mile, have 0 retired, all honors he'll have for the rest if his life. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2019, 07:39:51 AM »
Does he have until 4/22 to declare and until 5/30 to withdraw assuming he doesn’t hire an agent?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2019, 07:41:37 AM »
Next man up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2019, 07:55:44 AM »
It makes perfect sense for him to go. He is not going to play point next year, which does all the work for scouts to realize he can’t learn the position. There is at least some degree of curiosity now. And he isnt going to get a look as a 5’11” shooting guard who apparently can’t shoot anymore.
How does anybody know he will not play point next year. Do we know how Wojo and/or markus feel about it?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2019, 08:38:44 AM »
Does he have until 4/22 to declare and until 5/30 to withdraw assuming he doesn’t hire an agent?

NBA combine is 5/14-19/19 and is an invite for those who declared

Players have until 6/10/19 to return or declare officially for draft.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2019, 08:49:52 AM »

But in my opinion, he clashes with the Hauser boys...they have to get the ball in the right spots and should not be clogging the post with a guy who has trouble making entry passes to flashing and cutting players.

In the game of college basketball guards thrive. He is a great shot creator and shot taker and maker. But not the type of guy who should be your #1 guy throughout the year. If he is, you are a quick exit.

He is a tandem guy who has to pair with the right guy in the backcourt next to him. THAT WAS GREG ELLIOT until he went down. MU might have won the Big East and still be playing if Greg was healthy and Cain played more with him at times and or alongside him.

But he should go. If Greg returns and Koby McEwen can play...they are better suited to go with the Hauser's and Theo. You need a stout and strong PG who can guard the ball and get through traps and dbl teams and press the ball himself and not get manhandled.

You need to bring some physicality and toughness to that position and be able to get in the lane at will and draw and kick to the wings or take it to the rack and finish as well. Also, please get someone who can feed the post and play off it in the half court and make a decent entry pass!   

Put it this way....if Markus Howard was the only guy to leave along with Chartouny and no one else, and if everyone else came back and the in-coming class I do not think MU will be worse, just different. And in a good way...

Agree  Especially if we would get the 30 shots a game version again next year 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2019, 09:08:51 AM »
Agree  Especially if we would get the 30 shots a game version again next year

I count 5 big if's.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2019, 09:15:41 AM »
I mean, I see how Marquette can get better if Markus leaves no doubt.  But the thing that really concerns me is that very few players on this team can get their own shot.  And while everyone thinks Koby is the answer at point, IMO his history suggests that he is more like a Markus-like combo guard with less ability to shoot. 

I do think that the best case scenario would be for Markus to return, but find a way to get his usage down.  I don't care if he is the "point guard" or not because I'm not really sure that matters.  But the ball has to move better than it did regardless of who brings it up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2019, 09:39:26 AM »
If your opinion is that Markus leaving results in a better result for MU in 19-20 (as opposed to 19-20 with Markus), I can understand your perspective, but I think you're nuts.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2019, 09:42:12 AM »

This is a really, really good post.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2019, 09:46:02 AM »
I mean, I see how Marquette can get better if Markus leaves no doubt.  But the thing that really concerns me is that very few players on this team can get their own shot.  And while everyone thinks Koby is the answer at point, IMO his history suggests that he is more like a Markus-like combo guard with less ability to shoot. 

I do think that the best case scenario would be for Markus to return, but find a way to get his usage down.  I don't care if he is the "point guard" or not because I'm not really sure that matters.  But the ball has to move better than it did regardless of who brings it up.
!+1, the offensive sets need to change. Have sam or Joey set the picks in the pick and roll, have Markus come off s renes, etc. In the current offense, no one else seems capable of getting their own shot off the bounce

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2019, 10:13:48 AM »
!+1, the offensive sets need to change. Have sam or Joey set the picks in the pick and roll, have Markus come off s renes, etc. In the current offense, no one else seems capable of getting their own shot off the bounce

Watch Auburn play, never have a center stuck in the same position all game long, play like the Bucks.  MU centers are totally low post players, never move from there spot except to set screens at the high post and they do not do a great job doing that.  Double Markus and he can rarely make the pass inside, never see them take a 5 foot jumper much less a 3 point shot.  Our centers are not Happ either.  Little offensive moves.  Offense got stale at the end of the year.  Surprised after 6 months of
playing, there were not different sets added to get players in position to score.  Defensely, nothing different.  Same old every game.  Not hard to game plan MU.  No
wonder teams the second time around had MU's number.  If Joey gets stronger, I would play him at center, and change the O at times.  Like to see another forward added to the mix.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2019, 10:32:02 AM »
BC Hoopster
That is exactly what my point of having a system in place. I noted that I do not see a defined system at MU in the Wojo era other than having a chucker. It seems to me that we end up getting recruits we can get, regardless of how they fit into a coaching philosophy. My gut says we are three point shooting team, but after five years we have three guys that can make them.
The system is the coaches philosophy, but there has to be players that fit it. There are times that we three guys on the court that can only make three foot shots. Furthermore, they need to be uncontested three footers. Truthfully, I have nothing against the pieces, they just do not fit together. Counting on Carlino, Rowsey, Howard, Henry or Hausers to be hot is not a system for long term success.
I love Wojo chasing studs, but my backup plan would include system guys, not just guys that will come here.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2019, 10:42:32 AM »
BC Hoopster
That is exactly what my point of having a system in place. I noted that I do not see a defined system at MU in the Wojo era other than having a chucker. It seems to me that we end up getting recruits we can get, regardless of how they fit into a coaching philosophy. My gut says we are three point shooting team, but after five years we have three guys that can make them.
The system is the coaches philosophy, but there has to be players that fit it. There are times that we three guys on the court that can only make three foot shots. Furthermore, they need to be uncontested three footers. Truthfully, I have nothing against the pieces, they just do not fit together. Counting on Carlino, Rowsey, Howard, Henry or Hausers to be hot is not a system for long term success.
I love Wojo chasing studs, but my backup plan would include system guys, not just guys that will come here.

The problem Wojo has is the type of player Wisconsin produces.  There are not enough of them.  Losing Herro and Poole would have made a huge difference to MU
or even Wisconsin.  Your not going to get them all.  Not sure Wojo has made any inroads in other states, sure you can say Michigan, but the kids he got there are second tier.  The Minnesota kids are second tier as well.  Maybe in 2020 things will change if he is around.  Running after kids from Texas was a failure.  I really believe
it is hard to recruit to MU,  next year will see what happens.  Getting Torrence was huge, but 5 miles from Wojos house is Johnson and Sibley.  Add Polk, the 2 from Minny and Wojo has proven he has stepped up.  That would be a Top 5 recruiting class.  For that reason alone, I hope Wojo stays. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2019, 10:44:50 AM »
This is all crap-he May or he may not go, duh

But for someone to say that he is, unless he/she has concrete evidence, it should be followed by imho.

Every time markus looked at the hausers with a crinkly forehead or the hausys appeared frustrated-OH-OH, there’s trouble in the locker room, markus is getting same advice as,Vander and the doogies  are transferring to  Udub blah blah
All this talk and something oughtta stick ey?
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback