[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo’s replacement.  (Read 58794 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Wojo’s replacement.
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2019, 06:29:24 PM »
Also blown the hell out in both those games. Just outclassed in all aspects

South Carolina went to Final Four and it was a two possession game with under 10 to play.  Let’s see how far Murray State goes.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2019, 06:29:47 PM »
Marquette fans havent gone full “fire the coach” in 20 years. Stop this straw man. This isn’t the reason we don’t have stability.

When you consider the money Wojo is being paid, I expect better, much better!
“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2019, 06:30:17 PM »
I'd rather lose by 20 as a 12 seed than as a 5. Being a 5 actually made this worse.

And FFS, can we PLEASE leave off with the "help is coming next year"? I've been hearing that refrain for four years. This year's team had a BE POY and 1st team AA, a 2 team BE selection, a multi-week BE FOW, a 21 year old 4-star "freshman" and a 4-star transfer PF. Not to mention a bunch of three-star depth.

Any decent varsity HS coach could have led this team to a 20 pt first round loss.

That second half was the worst coached half of college basketball I have ever season. I don't know if Wojo was just blinded by the lights or gave up or what. But it was completely uninspired.
. And each year we have gotten better, so the help did come and did make us better.  Yes?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2019, 06:30:59 PM »
When you consider the money Wojo is being paid, I expect better, much better!

How much is he being paid...i’m Guessing 99.99% here have no idea but just make that statement.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2019, 06:31:44 PM »
If promoting Stan meant keeping all our players and recruits I wouldnt cry over that

So Stan isn’t part of game planning? Isn’t part of the in game coaching you hate? Interesting

1SE

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2019, 06:33:03 PM »
. And each year we have gotten better, so the help did come and did make us better.  Yes?

Well presumably going from NCAA in year 3 to NIT in year 4 was a step backwards.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2019, 06:33:15 PM »
Simple.  We are back in the tournament, will be again next year.  I expect to be better next year. 

Final straw is when we don’t go to the NCAAs multiple years or NCAA violations.  Until then, looking forward to next year since no one has any real alternatives and just wants to pout today.

If you're already looking forward to next year on the first day of the tournament, well, I think that says enough about Wojo and the program he's built. This is the time of year when the good teams shine. This is what the whole season builds to. To brush off this embarrassing of a loss and just point to next year... I really hope that's not what MU basketball is becoming.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2019, 06:33:44 PM »
Unleash, both Cain and Heldt were DNPs (or did they get in at the end, I stopped paying attention). What a great way to sent off your tear-inducing senior. WTF.

That 2nd half was the worst coached POS I've ever seen.

Don't believe Cain played at all, but Cam did.  ESPN boxscore confirmed Cain a DNP. 

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2019, 06:34:28 PM »
Where did I say prime time?

Go take a bath in your slop of mediocrity. It seems to offend you when others don’t share your brand of apathy.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2019, 06:35:04 PM »
Marquette fans havent gone full “fire the coach” in 20 years. Stop this straw man. This isn’t the reason we don’t have stability.

Oh yes we have.  Point stands, our coaches leave on average at the 5 year mark the last 35 years....either fired or they leave on their own. Not good for stability, but I’m sure a stellar assistant waits in the wings.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2019, 06:35:18 PM »
Don't believe Cain played at all, but Cam did.  ESPN boxscore confirmed Cain a DNP.

Good thing we never tried to press, wouldn't want to tire out the legs of that short bench...

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2019, 06:35:29 PM »
Better ball handling, yes with McEwen and Elliott.
Better passing, see above.
Quickness, not with Joey and Sam.

Team needs a guy built like Morrow, who can fight for rebounds and not get fouls every game. Can actually face the basket and take a shot. An enforcer forward because offensive rebounding blows.  MU lost out on that Hassan French kid who went to St. Louis, so someone like him.

You are assuming Howard stays?  I will agree re: McEwen and Elliott.  But would need Howard as well to improve. 

French is good, much better offensive skill set than Theo, more athletic. Also a bad free throw shooter similar to Theo. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2019, 06:35:34 PM »

Cain was in.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2019, 06:35:48 PM »
When will Wojo replace Coach K? That is when he will leave. MU, like the commercial, loves just OK.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2019, 06:36:14 PM »
Well presumably going from NCAA in year 3 to NIT in year 4 was a step backwards.

Presumably going from NIT to NCAA is an improvement, but you said it wasn’t.  You seem to be fighting your own logic on that one.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2019, 06:36:35 PM »
Truth is often times in the middle.

If Howard stays Marquette can be as good or better next year. They would take a big step back without. No word yet on that.

Wojo after 5 years:

2 NCAA appearances, 0 NCAA wins, 2 top 5 regular season league finishes, 0 conference tourney finals. He’s keeping his job but people aren’t thrilled.

Team needs better ball handling, better passing, more lateral quickness at both ends.

Is a top 5 league finish really something worth noting? Top 2 or 3, maybe. But top 5? Not exactly a high bar.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2019, 06:36:54 PM »

No, that's not how it works. By that logic all coaches would get to a point where they only way they avoid a "step backwards". You have to work within the realities of a roster. Year 4 was a rebuilding year, always was going to be a rebuilding year. We lost three starters to graduation, most programs that do that don't have as good of a season the following year. Despite it being a rebuilding year, we were in the bubble conversation all season. Wojo's first year was a rebuilding year too, they had a losing record. That's progress.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2019, 06:37:15 PM »
If you're already looking forward to next year on the first day of the tournament, well, I think that says enough about Wojo and the program he's built. This is the time of year when the good teams shine. This is what the whole season builds to. To brush off this embarrassing of a loss and just point to next year... I really hope that's not what MU basketball is becoming.

It’s actually the time of year where some good teams shine, some lose, etc, some escape, others do not.  Madness.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2019, 06:39:34 PM »
Go take a bath in your slop of mediocrity. It seems to offend you when others don’t share your brand of apathy.

I don’t call going to the NCAA tournament mediocrity, meanwhile I have simply asked those that want to fire him...who is the replacement. 

Candidates please?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2019, 06:39:48 PM »
Presumably going from NIT to NCAA is an improvement, but you said it wasn’t.  You seem to be fighting your own logic on that one.

I didn't say we aren't better this year than last. But quoting you

each year we have gotten better

How is going from the NCAA to year three to the NIT in year four "getting better"?

Wojo's tenure hasn't been a linear progression, and after 5 years this is what he has:

114–82 (.582) Overeall   52–56 (.481) BE   0-2 NCAA 2-1 NIT.

Is that what was on the powerpoint?

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2019, 06:40:48 PM »
I think progress is being a 5 seed after being in the NIT the season before. Especially when you are set to retain most of your roster and add players like McEwen and Elliott in the offseason.

Adding elliot is a far cry from making a tourney run.  Hes no better than a sacar or bailey.  We need another true nba level player again.  Juco transfer or not.  We put a lot of players in the league during the buzz era and quite a few more that had their shots and didnt pan out

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2019, 06:41:33 PM »

ESPN is wrong.  He played.  2 minutes official box score

1SE

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2019, 06:42:04 PM »
It’s actually the time of year where some good teams shine, some lose, etc, some escape, others do not.  Madness.

Had we lost on some circus 3 at the buzzer fine. That's the madness. Hell, had we even shown some semblance of a pulse in the 2nd half maybe it would be ok. But we were dead from the moment they made that first basket in the second half. Absolutely embarrassing.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2019, 06:42:09 PM »
I don’t call going to the NCAA tournament mediocrity, meanwhile I have simply asked those that want to fire him...who is the replacement. 

Candidates please?

what coach wouldn't be lining up to take a job where the previous coach won 84 games in the previous 4 years, went to 2 NCAA tournaments, had his team ranked in the top 10 late in the season and was fired?  It's the kind of situation every coach dreams of being in.

Let's bring in Jon Harris to work with our bigs. Shake up the assistant ranks.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:43:55 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2019, 06:42:21 PM »
That’s the great thing about America Jamie, I can choose how, when, and where I want to spend my money.  I became a season ticket holder in Wojos 2nd year.  I’ve donated, went to every game I could (even the crummy non conference ones) gave my tickets away for free to multiple people in this forum.

If you want to call me a fake fan, or emotional, how about this, f**k you.

I choose not to support 2 million a year for this bs.

Jams

The Pilot is right. In America we vote with our wallet.

A couple weeks ago, I spent well north of a G to see MU lose to Georgetown. I won't do that again (But I will go back for MS III)