Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo’s replacement.  (Read 56917 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Wojo’s replacement.
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2019, 06:09:05 PM »
I kinda like how hurley is on the court.  I think he would be a great option.

Ask Pakuni and Lenny, we can only get assistants so that won’t work.  What assistants do you have on the radar...cannot wait to hear the options.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2019, 06:10:09 PM »
I still have high hopes for next season. If it doesn't pan out (not sure what would be deemed a success), then the coach should go.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2019, 06:10:54 PM »
Yeah, Wojo isn't close to being fired. Have to look at the whole season, not just the end.

That being said, no overlooking the sh*t sandwich that was the last 7 games. Raises some huge red flags. Gotta address them over the offseason. Defense was the bugaboo last season and it got fixed over the summer. Let's see what he fixes this offseason.

The whole season comes down to the NCAA. 0-1. Just like two years ago. The two best years of the Wojo tenure.

But hey, if you think progress is taking the biggest loss as a 5 seed since 1991 then more power to you. 
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2019, 06:11:05 PM »
That is correct, and I encourage that free speech and whatever you wish to do. I didn’t realize the $2M was funded by you, but I do appreciate the investment.  You are not a fake fan, passionate like others.  You are balanced, too, which I like.

I mean it, call and cancel them now.  What better time then the present and set the tone I say.  Let them know how you feel.  Why wait?  Seriously, I don’t understand why anyone would wait...stay true to your convictions.

Never said I donated 2 million.  My point is with the resources that MU provides because of fans/donors, this is unacceptable to me.

I have seats 2 rows above the bottom row in the top section of the fiserv.  My donations are nothing compared to some on here. This isn’t a d*** measuring contest, just simply stating I can’t continue to purchase season tickets with the product that is being put on the floor.

Has nothing to do with how I feel about the players. I love the kids that are representing MU, this is strictly a coaching issue with me

I apologize about swearing at you.

Be good

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2019, 06:12:18 PM »
Never said I donated 2 million.  My point is with the resources that MU provides because of fans/donors, this is unacceptable to me.

I have seats 2 rows above the bottom row in the top section of the fiserv.  My donations are nothing compared to some on here. This isn’t a d*** measuring contest, just simply stating I can’t continue to purchase season tickets with the product that is being put on the floor.

Has nothing to do with how I feel about the players. I love the kids that are representing MU, this is strictly a coaching issue with me

I apologize about swearing at you.

Be good

You too, all good.  People are going to be emotional...I get it.

Peace
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2019, 06:12:55 PM »
I don't see a contract extension for Wojo. He's got next year to do something besides getting blown out in the 1st round.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2019, 06:13:10 PM »
Were 0-2 in the past 5 years. What more do you want?
Also blown the hell out in both those games. Just outclassed in all aspects

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2019, 06:13:38 PM »
The whole season comes down to the NCAA. 0-1. Just like two years ago. The two best years of the Wojo tenure.

But hey, if you think progress is taking the biggest loss as a 5 seed since 1991 then more power to you.

I think progress is being a 5 seed after being in the NIT the season before. Especially when you are set to retain most of your roster and add players like McEwen and Elliott in the offseason.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2019, 06:14:51 PM »
We aren't going to fire him but my confidence is gone.

This season was nice but not that great. Unranked finish, 2nd place in an average conference, and the end of the year we were just playing ugly. Turnovers, lots of fast breaks against us, poor rebounding, and just didnt seem to have a good gameplan. Getting killed in the tournament is not fun.

Next year we will be better but so will everyone else.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2019, 06:14:58 PM »
Can't wait to hear what wojo says after this fiasco

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2019, 06:16:05 PM »
Why waste another year?  Year 5 is over, and there is no meaningful success.  Pull the plug.   Get a new coach, sans PowerPoint.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2019, 06:17:38 PM »

No, actually the whole season doesn’t come down to it.  If so, why do you bother watching any regular season games? Why do we play in a conference and compete for conference titles?  No, in fact the WHOLE season doesn’t come down to it at all.

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2019, 06:17:47 PM »
He get's 1 more year, if he can't win with Howard and Hauser as seniors he will never win.

One more year, some old BS! One more year will not change a thing. Wojo now has a new label, “one and done”.
“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2019, 06:18:17 PM »
Brain wardle put up more of a fight against #2 Michigan st then wojo did with murray state. The 5 years has been judged and hes received a unnatural carnal knowledgeing f

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2019, 06:19:46 PM »
Why waste another year?  Year 5 is over, and there is no meaningful success.  Pull the plug.   Get a new coach, sans PowerPoint.

Candidates please...who?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2019, 06:20:26 PM »
No, actually the whole season doesn’t come down to it.  If so, why do you bother watching any regular season games? Why do we play in a conference and compete for conference titles?  No, in fact the WHOLE season doesn’t come down to it at all.

I agree with you. The NCAA is not the only judge. But what did we accomplish? An unranked finish? 2nd place in the worst big east since mu has joined? A first round exit in the ncaa?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2019, 06:20:49 PM »
I think progress is being a 5 seed after being in the NIT the season before. Especially when you are set to retain most of your roster and add players like McEwen and Elliott in the offseason.

I'd rather lose by 20 as a 12 seed than as a 5. Being a 5 actually made this worse.

And FFS, can we PLEASE leave off with the "help is coming next year"? I've been hearing that refrain for four years. This year's team had a BE POY and 1st team AA, a 2 team BE selection, a multi-week BE FOW, a 21 year old 4-star "freshman" and a 4-star transfer PF. Not to mention a bunch of three-star depth.

Any decent varsity HS coach could have led this team to a 20 pt first round loss.

That second half was the worst coached half of college basketball I have ever season. I don't know if Wojo was just blinded by the lights or gave up or what. But it was completely uninspired.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2019, 06:21:20 PM »
If promoting Stan meant keeping all our players and recruits I wouldnt cry over that
No Finish Line

nyg

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2019, 06:21:55 PM »
Truth is often times in the middle.

If Howard stays Marquette can be as good or better next year. They would take a big step back without. No word yet on that.

Wojo after 5 years:

2 NCAA appearances, 0 NCAA wins, 2 top 5 regular season league finishes, 0 conference tourney finals. He’s keeping his job but people aren’t thrilled.

Team needs better ball handling, better passing, more lateral quickness at both ends.

Better ball handling, yes with McEwen and Elliott.
Better passing, see above.
Quickness, not with Joey and Sam.

Team needs a guy built like Morrow, who can fight for rebounds and not get fouls every game. Can actually face the basket and take a shot. An enforcer forward because offensive rebounding blows.  MU lost out on that Hassan French kid who went to St. Louis, so someone like him.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2019, 06:22:11 PM »
One more year, some old BS! One more year will not change a thing. Wojo now has a new label, “one and done”.

Bingo.  Next year is a waste.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2019, 06:25:45 PM »

I watch those games because they affect our making and seeding in the NCAA tournament, the latter which *should* affect our likelihood of NCAA success.

A conference title in a nice little milestone along the way, but if we want conference titles let's pack our bags and move to the Horizon league. We play in the big team because we want the big time success. Which is NCAA success.

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2019, 06:26:09 PM »

Is it still progressing is you are blown out of the gym by a 12 seed? Looks more like a seeding issue to me.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2019, 06:26:44 PM »
Stop with the five year nonsense.  We rebuilt the first few years.  Buzzard left a poor team behind.  If you cannot see improvement from last year to this year, then you are blind.

What do I want? A stable program without internet fans wanting a guy fired every 3 years and then wondering why we have no stability.  That’s what I want.

Fun season, major improvement and on to next season with a better roster.  I’ll keep supporting the name in the front of the jersey...thanks

Marquette fans havent gone full “fire the coach” in 20 years. Stop this straw man. This isn’t the reason we don’t have stability.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2019, 06:26:49 PM »
I watch those games because they affect our making and seeding in the NCAA tournament, the latter which *should* affect our likelihood of NCAA success.

A conference title in a nice little milestone along the way, but if we want conference titles let's pack our bags and move to the Horizon league. We play in the big team because we want the big time success. Which is NCAA success.

Great response.  The regular season matters only as to how it impacts the NCAA Tournament.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2019, 06:27:56 PM »

That was coach K’s nickname, too.  Having not won a single NCAA game his first 9 years of coaching, including first four at Duke.  In year five as a 3 seed he finally got one and went 1-1.

Now, before someone says I am comparing...I am not...my point is there are many coaches through history that people wanted to bury that did just fine, and others that started out a house on fire and regressed.

He will be the coach next year unless he leaves on his own, which of course we love pushing coaches to leave so that would ‘t be surprising either. 

feedback