Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA Tournament Open Thread  (Read 53066 times)

AlienWarrior

• All American
Re: NCAA Tournament Open Thread
« Reply #350 on: March 31, 2019, 06:24:56 PM »
Zion is listed at 6-6. There are lotsa NBA front line players that can match his talent imo. Time will tell

tower912

• All American
« Reply #351 on: March 31, 2019, 06:49:04 PM »
Under 12 timeout in the first half.  I turn to the teenaged Duke fan next to me and tell him that MSU always has a 5 minute stretch where they can't shoot.  Boom, Duke goes on a 12-0 run.  Izzo calls timeout.  I tell the kid that MSU almost always tightens the screws and goes on a run after their bad stretch and an Izzo timeout.  MSU closes the half with a 13-0 run.  The kid and the other Duke fans around me are all looking at me at halftime and asking how I knew.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #352 on: March 31, 2019, 07:23:32 PM »
Under 12 timeout in the first half.  I turn to the teenaged Duke fan next to me and tell him that MSU always has a 5 minute stretch where they can't shoot.  Boom, Duke goes on a 12-0 run.  Izzo calls timeout.  I tell the kid that MSU almost always tightens the screws and goes on a run after their bad stretch and an Izzo timeout.  MSU closes the half with a 13-0 run.  The kid and the other Duke fans around me are all looking at me at halftime and asking how I knew.
Did you give them a post game observation summary with a witty title doh?
No Finish Line

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #353 on: March 31, 2019, 07:28:00 PM »
 @mellentuck
the michigan state locker room is mostly taking turns singing One Shining Moment except nobody seems to know any of the other words except "One Shinging Moment" or "The Ball Is Tipped"
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #354 on: March 31, 2019, 07:32:19 PM »
Nah.  Too noisy.  Didn't want to reveal my secret identity.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:37:48 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #355 on: March 31, 2019, 07:37:24 PM »

Dukes of Hazard no longer Whistlin' Dixie
or
I am Spartan *Kiss*

MU82

• All American
« Reply #356 on: March 31, 2019, 07:45:25 PM »
Herro was 3-11 overall, 1-5 on 3s, and he had one stretch of about 2 minutes in OT during which he missed 2 shots, committed a turnover and got burned twice by Harper. (He was in very good company of UK players getting burned by Harper.)

He is No. 20 in ESPN's most recent mock draft. Though he obviously isn't "ready" for the NBA, most aren't and that's besides the point. "There's a chance (I'll be back)," Herro said. "Definitely a chance. ... I just love Kentucky. I haven't thought of a decision. I haven't looked at anything."

Sounds like he's history.

I have absolutely no idea if the rumors of the Hausers not wanting to play with him are true. If they are, and as much as we could have used a player of Herro's talent, having him for 1 season vs. having Joey for multiple seasons and a happy Sam ... interesting debate. I choose the Hausers. Again, I don't pretend to be an insider, so I'll leave others to discuss the truth of the rumors.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Securitizer

• Walk-On
« Reply #357 on: March 31, 2019, 08:19:59 PM »
Wife is a Spartan so we'll probably try to make the game on Saturday night.  Any suggestions on getting tix, or the Final Four events in general?  I assume we should wait until the last minute for tix.  (Not expecting great seats.)  We would only be able to make Saturday's game, not the final (even if they advance).  Thanks.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #358 on: March 31, 2019, 08:33:34 PM »
Auburn vs. Virginia (-5, -240 ML), 130.5 total
Texas Tech vs. Michigan State (-3, -164 ML), 132 total

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #359 on: April 01, 2019, 10:56:51 AM »
One of the things that I really liked about the tournament this year is that it made a college basketball fan out of my middle daughter.  She's planning to attend Purdue in the fall, and she got engaged in the tournament and followed their run.  I really enjoyed sitting with her and watching their games.  I'm hoping it "sticks" and she'll get as much enjoyment out of college basketball as I have.

I love college sports, and as my kids have gone off to college it's been a lot of fun gaining new schools to follow and root for.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #360 on: April 01, 2019, 02:45:02 PM »
In the elite 8 alone, I saw many plays that resulted in a dunk or block where the dunker/blocker would scream/flex/whatever. Yet, none were called techs.

Theo gets screwed in this regard.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #361 on: April 01, 2019, 02:57:58 PM »
In the elite 8 alone, I saw many plays that resulted in a dunk or block where the dunker/blocker would scream/flex/whatever. Yet, none were called techs.

Theo gets screwed in this regard.
You can't do it in people's faces.  Secondly, I expect they are more lax in the tournament.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #362 on: April 01, 2019, 04:43:25 PM »
Duke fans were screaming all night that the officiating was f-n bs.  I pointed out to those around me that Duke had 9 fouls for the whole game.  With 3 minutes to play, I told them that if MSU had a lead and the ball in the last minute that Duke was screwed by the lack of fouls against them.  Silence for a second.  Then more complaining about the refs.

Even Duke fans, who get every call, complain about refs.   

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #363 on: April 01, 2019, 05:11:11 PM »
Fresh blood in the Final Four. First since 1985. No Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana & Louisville.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #364 on: April 01, 2019, 05:17:04 PM »
Wife is a Spartan so we'll probably try to make the game on Saturday night.  Any suggestions on getting tix, or the Final Four events in general?  I assume we should wait until the last minute for tix.  (Not expecting great seats.)  We would only be able to make Saturday's game, not the final (even if they advance).  Thanks.

If you want the most bang for your buck and aren't interested in seeing game 1, I'd advise waiting until after tip. Prices go down quickly as the first game goes on.....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #365 on: April 01, 2019, 10:32:06 PM »
Duke fans were screaming all night that the officiating was f-n bs.  I pointed out to those around me that Duke had 9 fouls for the whole game.  With 3 minutes to play, I told them that if MSU had a lead and the ball in the last minute that Duke was screwed by the lack of fouls against them.  Silence for a second.  Then more complaining about the refs.

Hilarious. Done in by their own favorable treatment!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #366 on: April 02, 2019, 03:22:15 PM »

You are right about Duke getting every call. Serious question  who gets more ref love, Duke basketball or No Dick football?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #367 on: April 02, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »
You are right about Duke getting every call. Serious question  who gets more ref love, Duke basketball or No Dick football?
I'm guessing it is whichever sports team each individual person hates the most

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #368 on: April 06, 2019, 07:07:28 PM »
Blame Cheeks

Nope, thank God.  They are brutal. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #369 on: April 06, 2019, 07:08:45 PM »
Brutal Breeding call at the end. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #370 on: April 06, 2019, 07:11:26 PM »
THat was a foul.  Why isn't anyone talking about the double dribble that preceded it, though?

The Virginia player was dribbling, he dribbled off his own leg.  He picked it up with two hands and started dribbling again and then was fouled.  That is a double dribble.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #371 on: April 06, 2019, 07:13:10 PM »

That was a foul. Period.  Kudos for having the stones to call it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #372 on: April 06, 2019, 07:13:35 PM »
Great game not a fan of either team . Rooting for MSU in game 2
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #373 on: April 06, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »

It was the right call.

But yeah...breeding is brutal.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:16:15 PM by AirPunch »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #374 on: April 06, 2019, 07:14:57 PM »
Yeah they have to call that. Don’t push into the shooter.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow