[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Synergy: Two areas to watch vs Murray  (Read 1323 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[Paint Touches] Synergy: Two areas to watch vs Murray
« on: March 20, 2019, 02:55:03 PM »
As good as you think Murray State's transition game is, they're probably better than that.

As lucky as you think Murray State's 3pt defense is, they're probably luckier.

I dove into Synergy to find out how the transition and spot up shooting matchups might look.

https://painttouches.com/2019/03/20/synergy-two-areas-to-watch-between-murray-state-and-marquette/

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: [Paint Touches] Synergy: Two areas to watch vs Murray
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 03:29:14 PM »
Great stuff, Andrei.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 04:12:15 PM »
After getting put in the bracket with Murray State I went and watched the Murray State - Auburn game that was played right before Christmas.  A couple observations (albeit just a one game sample):

As good in transition as they are, they don't necessarily push the ball up court on offense. They were pretty deliberate and walked the ball up the court more often than not. Morant has a great first step and uses his quickness to try and drive. If he doesn't get the basket he usually picks up the foul. Morant is really good and will most likely get Theo and Ed into foul trouble. Might need to play Heldt a little bit to relieve them and put up another big body in the lane.

They do leave the 3 point shooter open like your article suggested. Lots of wide open 3's for Auburn, and even on some of the contested ones they were late getting out to the shooter. Auburn was 11-25 from the 3 and made Murray State pay.

Cowart does remind me a little bit of Devante Gardner, but he does not have quite his touch around the net, and he definitely gets winded pretty quick. Maybe he is in better shape now in March.

Murray State did not press at all and rarely trapped the ball handler. Their intensity on defense paled in comparison to what MU has seen against the likes of Nova, Seton Hall, Creighton and St. John's games to end the season. If they play D against us like they did against Auburn I like our chances.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 04:21:05 PM »
Elite 3P shooting, elite 3P defense, elite writing. This is exactly the content I crave

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 05:33:27 PM »
After getting put in the bracket with Murray State I went and watched the Murray State - Auburn game that was played right before Christmas.  A couple observations (albeit just a one game sample):

As good in transition as they are, they don't necessarily push the ball up court on offense. They were pretty deliberate and walked the ball up the court more often than not. Morant has a great first step and uses his quickness to try and drive. If he doesn't get the basket he usually picks up the foul. Morant is really good and will most likely get Theo and Ed into foul trouble. Might need to play Heldt a little bit to relieve them and put up another big body in the lane.

They do leave the 3 point shooter open like your article suggested. Lots of wide open 3's for Auburn, and even on some of the contested ones they were late getting out to the shooter. Auburn was 11-25 from the 3 and made Murray State pay.

Cowart does remind me a little bit of Devante Gardner, but he does not have quite his touch around the net, and he definitely gets winded pretty quick. Maybe he is in better shape now in March.

Murray State did not press at all and rarely trapped the ball handler. Their intensity on defense paled in comparison to what MU has seen against the likes of Nova, Seton Hall, Creighton and St. John's games to end the season. If they play D against us like they did against Auburn I like our chances.

I am sure the refs have watched game tapes as well. Ed and Theo will have 6 fouls by the 10 minute mark and Murray State will be in the double bonus with Markus , Sam and Joey each having two and Sacar will be gone with two technicals for clapping.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 06:21:36 PM »
This is the content I crave. Robo bilas approves of this type of analysis.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.