[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Most likely upsets to happen in first round  (Read 5323 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Most likely upsets to happen in first round
« on: March 18, 2019, 08:31:32 AM »

By Neil Greenberg (The Washington Post)

No. 5 Marquette vs. No. 12 Murray State

Chance at upset: 37 percent, DAViD score: 130

Murray State generated 2.1 possessions per game via offensive rebound and turnover differentials, whereas Marquette ceded 2.1 possessions per game to its opponents, a clear indication that Marquette could be in over its head in the first round.

The Racers are also efficient shooters (55 percent effective field goal rate, 22nd best) who convert an above-average rate of shots near the basket (1.2 points per possession, 59 percent field goal rate) and down low in the post (1.1 points per possessions, 87th percentile).

HowardsWorld

• All American
Re: Most likely upsets to happen in first round
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 08:36:37 AM »
By Neil Greenberg (The Washington Post)

No. 5 Marquette vs. No. 12 Murray State

Chance at upset: 37 percent, DAViD score: 130

Murray State generated 2.1 possessions per game via offensive rebound and turnover differentials, whereas Marquette ceded 2.1 possessions per game to its opponents, a clear indication that Marquette could be in over its head in the first round.

The Racers are also efficient shooters (55 percent effective field goal rate, 22nd best) who convert an above-average rate of shots near the basket (1.2 points per possession, 59 percent field goal rate) and down low in the post (1.1 points per possessions, 87th percentile).

I just don't see this happening. I know everyone likes to pick the 12 vs 5 upset but I don't see it. We have far more weapons they then do. Yes they have a top 5 pick in the NBA draft but unless he is hitting from deep its going to be hard to match what MU is doing. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:39:13 AM »
Much like most of our season this will likely come down to whether we beat ourselves or not. 5 of the last 6 (with some help from the refs) has shown we’re not above beating ourselves. Play our game and we’ll handle biz
No Finish Line

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 09:47:25 AM »
IMO, everyone tries to pick that one upset special and MS seems to be the flavor of the day. I would be extremely disappointed if MU did not have a somewhat convincing W on Thursday. That said, I have only seen highlights of MS and read the reviews. Teams are seeded for a reason and MU should win this game.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 10:38:06 AM »
IMO, everyone tries to pick that one upset special and MS seems to be the flavor of the day. I would be extremely disappointed if MU did not have a somewhat convincing W on Thursday. That said, I have only seen highlights of MS and read the reviews. Teams are seeded for a reason and MU should win this game.

Since we are the highest seeded 5 is Murray State the lowest seeded 12?

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 10:46:57 AM »
Since we are the highest seeded 5 is Murray State the lowest seeded 12?

The tournament does not seed on a true S curve anymore so no. The weakest 12 is Oregon.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 10:50:28 AM »
One of the "typical" 12 over 5 upsets is a sliding/middling major power conf team against a stronger mid major... that being said, I think if healthy, MU will be fine (MU has weaknesses, exposed, however I think they are tougher to exploit when he's at full strength... his health is the big question for me going forward).  I think MU can stop Ja, but he's a special talent realty-made for "One Shining Moment" highlights.  I'm confident, but not cocky.

The rest of the country mostly just sees 5 of 6 and Ja Morant.  Before the bracket was announced, I think MU was going to be a popular first round loss, and MSU a first round win.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 11:15:10 AM »
KenPom supports this.  We are the least favored 5 in his probabilities.  Also in his S curve we are the last 60%+ probability team for a win with everyone below us either pick-em or not favored.

Interestingly VU sits right above us in his S-Curve and is basically a pick-em for their game.  I thought they would be more favored but in his analysis they got the highest 11 seed in the tourney (by far).

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 11:33:55 AM »
37 percent? That's not far off from the actual 5/12 percentage.

And spring should be here around March 21st.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 11:36:46 AM »

I don’t care about how or what margin, only that we win.

We barely beat Utah State when they were an 11 seed, we barely beat Davidson when they were an 14.  I’m just fine barely beating MSU as long as it means a win.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 12:04:43 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 11:37:49 AM »
37 percent? That's not far off from the actual 5/12 percentage.

And spring should be here around March 21st.
Same with ESPN's prediction.  We are the most likely team to be upset, but they only give Murray State a 34% chance.  So they think we win this game 2 out of 3.  If we play our B game or better, we should take care of business.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 11:39:17 AM »

We barely beat Utah State when they were an 11 seed, we barely beat Davidson when they were an 11.  I’m just fine barely beating MSU as long as it means a win.
I agree, but I'm getting older and my heart prefers it when we are up 10 or more late in the game and we cruise to the finish line.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 11:50:04 AM »

We barely beat Utah State when they were an 11 seed, we barely beat Davidson when they were an 11.  I’m just fine barely beating MSU as long as it means a win.

Barely beat Holy Cross when they were a 14 seed. Lost to Tulsa when they were a 12 and Washington when they were an 11.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »

Just for clarification sake ... Davidson was a 14 and we were a 3 that year (2013).

Whenever I am feeling a little down about MU (or life), I'll watch the video of those last 75 seconds. Heck, I feel great today and I just watched it now before hitting the Post button on this!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 11:56:15 AM »
Much like most of our season this will likely come down to whether we beat ourselves or not. 5 of the last 6 (with some help from the refs) has shown we’re not above beating ourselves. Play our game and we’ll handle biz

For sure. If this was January/early Feb I say we beat them easy. Not feeling the same way right now. I think many people will pick MS. We had a horrible close to the season. I will not be surprised if we lose this game. The team is just not in synch.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 02:58:27 PM by 79Warrior »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 11:58:24 AM »
For sure. I this was January/early Feb I say we beat them easy. Not feeling the same way right now. I think many people will pick MS. We had a horrible close to the season. I will not be surprised if we lose this game. The team is just not in synch.

Well, there are no real surprises. MS has to be at least as good as half the BEast teams, and we could lose to or beat any of them on any night. Of course, we also could beat F%cky, K-State, Buffalo, 'Ville, Nova, hang with full-strength Kansas, etc.

We are the better team and I have the same "we're gonna play great" feeling I did before the most recent StJ game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 12:03:43 PM »
Barely beat Holy Cross when they were a 14 seed. Lost to Tulsa when they were a 12 and Washington when they were an 11.

Exactly.  Just win, all these games are going to be tough. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 12:04:13 PM »
Just for clarification sake ... Davidson was a 14 and we were a 3 that year (2013).

Whenever I am feeling a little down about MU (or life), I'll watch the video of those last 75 seconds. Heck, I feel great today and I just watched it now before hitting the Post button on this!!!

You are correct, I will edit.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »
I agree, but I'm getting older and my heart prefers it when we are up 10 or more late in the game and we cruise to the finish line.

Nothing on the internet surrounding the tournament has made more sense than this.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 12:51:23 PM »

Wasn't there something with that DU seed though and a play-in team that year?  That Davidson was higher and had to be moved back due to a conflict?  I seem to remember something goofy.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 12:53:18 PM »
Wasn't there something with that DU seed though and a play-in team that year?  That Davidson was higher and had to be moved back due to a conflict?  I seem to remember something goofy.

I thought it was 2012 when BYU was bumped down a line to accommodate a Th/Sat schedule.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 01:01:15 PM »

I think that was just Buzz lying to the media during his aw-shucks post-game routine.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 03:48:09 PM »
I thought it was 2012 when BYU was bumped down a line to accommodate a Th/Sat schedule.

That is correct - it was BYU in 2012.  BYU had a monster comeback against Iona from 25 down to win by 6. 

Anyone remember MU's next opponent after BYU?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 03:57:35 PM »

Anyone remember MU's next opponent after BYU?

Murray State.  MU won. 
Ludum habemus.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 04:01:04 PM »
Murray State.  MU won.

In Kentucky no less. So much for that protected seed...