[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: FIVE Big East Schools make the NIT!  (Read 12785 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
FIVE Big East Schools make the NIT!
« on: March 17, 2019, 07:47:34 PM »
Creighton host Loyola
Xavier host Toledo
Butler at Nebraska
Providence host Arkansas
Georgetown host Harvard
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

tower912

• All American
Re: FIVE Big East Schools make the NIT!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 07:49:04 PM »
Ah, DePaul.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 07:49:43 PM »
Creighton host Loyola
Xavier host Toledo
Butler at Nebraska
Providence host Arkansas
Georgetown host Harvard
Beneficial for all these teams to get more games in.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 07:50:09 PM »
Ah, DePaul.

Basement dwellers for 15+ years

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 07:51:04 PM »
Curious .. the NCAA teams bring home a "share" to their conference.

Does the NIT work that way at all?

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 07:51:26 PM »
Ah, DePaul.

Best Depaul team in a long time, and they couldn't score an NIT bid?  That stinks.  I was pulling for them.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 07:52:12 PM »
Best Depaul team in a long time, and they couldn't score an NIT bid?  That stinks.  I was pulling for them.

Same. Was hoping they would get in. Would have been cool for 10/10 BE teams to play in NCAA or NIT.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 07:53:55 PM »
Tells us a lot about the strength of the BE.  This DePaul team was not bad.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 07:54:20 PM »
No. 1 UNC Greensboro
No. 2 NC State
No. 3 Georgetown
No. 4 Davidson
No. 5 Lipscomb
No. 6 Harvard
No. 7 Hofstra
No. 8 Campbell

No. 1 Indiana
No. 2 Clemson
No. 3 Furman
No. 4 Providence
No. 5 Arkansas
No. 6 Wichita State
No. 7 Wright State
No. 8 St. Francis

No. 1 Alabama
No. 2 Texas
No. 3 Xavier
No. 4 Colorado
No. 5 Dayton
No. 6 Toledo
No. 7 South Dakota State
No. 8 Norfolk State

No. 1 TCU
No. 2 Creighton
No. 3 Memphis
No. 4 Nebraska
No. 5 Butler
No. 6 San Diego
No. 7 Loyola-Chicago
No. 8 Sam Houston State

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament/brackets/viewable_nit
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 07:57:41 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 07:57:47 PM »
Curious .. the NCAA teams bring home a "share" to their conference.

Does the NIT work that way at all?
NIT basically covers all the costs and the winner gets a small bump but not much. It is basically a no cost way to continue playing and getting experience in games that mean something.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 08:01:03 PM »
With all due respect, I doubt the Villanova board is touted NIT bids for BE. It is time for MU fans to think bigger picture. Furthermore, I doubt Villanova fans care if MU wins or not. If you want to be in the big leagues, think like a big leaguer.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 08:01:44 PM »
Tells us a lot about the strength of the BE.  This DePaul team was not bad.

Not sure if it’s strength or parity after VU/MU. Which is why us playing essentially two road games in the BET is absolutely huge going forward. I agree that DePaul probably should still be playing.

We will find out how strong the BigEast is by this time next weekend.

Let’s do this!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Eye

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 08:02:11 PM »
If I were the BE office, I'd actually semi-encourage DePaul to take a CBI bid. Would be good marketing thing to say that all 10 BE teams made postseason. And DePaul had an improved enough season that it'd be an OK reward for their seniors and an enough of a benefit for their underclassmen. And normally big-time anti ever even considering the CBI.
GO WARRIORS!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 08:05:19 PM »
As much as this is a down year for the Big East. 9/10 teams playing in the NCAA/NIT is very impressive. I have pride in say that!
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 08:07:24 PM »
If I were the BE office, I'd actually semi-encourage DePaul to take a CBI bid. Would be good marketing thing to say that all 10 BE teams made postseason. And DePaul had an improved enough season that it'd be an OK reward for their seniors and an enough of a benefit for their underclassmen. And normally big-time anti ever even considering the CBI.
Problem is the CBI is a pay to pay tourney. I do think it is a good idea. Play on campus.
-Bill Walton

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 08:08:27 PM »
As much as this is a down year for the Big East. 9/10 teams playing in the NCAA/NIT is very impressive. I have pride in say that!
Yup.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 08:08:56 PM »
With all due respect, I doubt the Villanova board is touted NIT bids for BE. It is time for MU fans to think bigger picture. Furthermore, I doubt Villanova fans care if MU wins or not. If you want to be in the big leagues, think like a big leaguer.

Sweet Sixteen guaranteed. Maybe a run at Minneapolis.

How dat? 8-)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 08:10:38 PM »
Goooo
You are a big leaguer!!!!!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 08:11:44 PM »
Any exposure these kids have to knock out basketball is good. This league is young, good for them and good for the league. Many of these games will be on TV, and teams playing in March in the post season helps their brand and the conference.

90% of the conference made the post season, you can bet that will be part of the sales pitch of the Big East as it should be.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 08:12:05 PM »

No one is touting anything. We’re talking basketball on a basketball forum.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 08:16:07 PM »
Goose, again, I respect you a lot, but...
The entire league sans DePaul is playing in the postseason. That’s relevant for our league.

There’s far more danger in becoming entitled.

The K bloodline wouldn’t be in place here if the right people were not thinking like “big leaguers”.

But I’ll tell you what will witness the bloodline thinning and leaving....entitled fans who don’t get that it’s hard for anyone to win, even the Dukes and Kansases of the world. Our fans sit on their hands sometimes just because the opponent doesn’t have a ranking next to their name. That is idiotic and inexcusable, and I hope you are not one of those who have seen the promised land and feel it is your birthright. There is nothing cooler to me as a 1992 alum than to embrace 1977 and the ridiculous rich history of ‘70s Marquette basketball under Al. We will be back atop the mountain, so enjoy the climb.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 08:18:07 PM »
The entire league sans DePaul is playing in the postseason. That’s relevant for our league.

The K bloodline wouldn’t be in place here if the right people were not thinking like “big leaguers”.

But I’ll tell you what will witness the bloodline thinning and leaving....entitled fans who don’t get that it’s hard for anyone to win, even the Dukes and Kansases of the world. Our fans sit on their hands sometimes just because the opponent doesn’t have a ranking next to their name. That is idiotic and inexcusable, and I hope you are not one of those who have seen the promised land and feel it is your birthright. There is nothing cooler to me as a 1992 alum than to embrace 1977 and the ridiculous rich history of ‘70s Marquette basketball under Al. We will be back atop the mountain, so enjoy the climb.

Nice post!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 08:19:54 PM »

Yup.  Even saw it this year as later in the year the fans weren't as much into it, needed to be pushed and pulled. I've seen it for years at UCLA games even when they've had 3 or 4 future NBA guys on the roster....fans begging to be entertained.  Need to be scrappy and hungry as a fan base.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 08:21:25 PM »
Colt
I am enjoying the ride, but only interested in MU success. Creating a big time program takes a lot of things to happen and it starts at home. I have never seen a top program, collegiate or pro, that were excited about their foes having success. Truthfully, my post was meant as a positive. Time to focus on MU success and not worry if Providence sneaks out win in NIT or hoping DePaul’s feelings are not hurt.

feedback