[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Know your opponent: Murray State  (Read 10789 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Know your opponent: Murray State
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 10:21:45 PM »
Ja Morant is the leading scorer but looks to only average 5 3 pt attempts per game. That must me he drives to the hoop for the majority of the shots. That also means that Theo John will most likely get in foul trouble. Maybe MU can attempt to play zone and see if they can beat them for the outside.

Good thing we have Morrow, who actually has played better than Theo the last month or more. And in a pinch, our third-string 5 has started dozens of games for us, including an NCAA tourney game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 10:36:22 PM »
This is good stuff, but my only question is on the 2PFG% and facing nothing like John and Morrow. Doesn't Auburn or Alabama have a couple of big, shot blocking type guys?

Not with the kind of block rate Theo has. And as a team, they don't come remotely close to Marquette's defensive efficiency inside the arc.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2019, 10:37:36 PM »
Ja Morant is the leading scorer but looks to only average 5 3 pt attempts per game. That must me he drives to the hoop for the majority of the shots. That also means that Theo John will most likely get in foul trouble. Maybe MU can attempt to play zone and see if they can beat them for the outside.

Haven’t seen him play, but everything I’m reading defines him as playing with utter abandon and athleticism at all times. Averaging 10 assists as well!!  Markus is less frenetic, more surgical.

I agree that this is the type of team that can get our bigs in foul trouble. I would love to see Matt start as the anchor in a zone. Ed then sets the tone inside for a few minutes. The game see-saws through the first 8 minutes, at which point Theo enters to permanently padlock the interior and sends a few souvenirs into the Connecticut twilight. The MU contingent roars to life as Sacar gathers the rock and windmills right in the face of a haplessly gelded Racer pony. A punter in the back of the nearest William Hill yells, “I’ll take it from here.”
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 11:07:35 PM »
Any chance MU can get Ja Morant into foul trouble?  Who will he be defending?

Guessing it will be Sacar. Doubt they want to task him with chasing around Howard all day and risk him getting tired early, nowhere near big enough to guard the Hausers, they would post him up with that turnaround jumper all day.

Everyone is talking about Ja vs. Markus. I get it, dudes that can put up 40 in a hurry. But the Hausers should have a field day against Murray St.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2019, 11:15:08 PM »

I was watching some of them in their tournament and I think he’s shot something like 300 free throws this year, which comes out to about 10 a game. Foul trouble could be an issue. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2019, 11:20:27 PM »
I was watching some of them in their tournament and I think he’s shot something like 300 free throws this year, which comes out to about 10 a game. Foul trouble could be an issue.

Good thing we have Sacar, Bailey, Cain, Sam in a pinch, and Theo, Ed and Matt in the middle.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2019, 11:24:40 PM »
Good thing we have Sacar, Bailey, Cain, Sam in a pinch, and Theo, Ed and Matt in the middle.

Yup. Don’t think it’s a bad matchup for us. Think it will be a tense game but have a good chance to advance at least.

wade_county37

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 12:51:41 AM »
Last time we faced them in the tourney we had BE POY Jae Crowder. This time we have BE POY Markus Howard... let's hope they've recovered from the SHU debacle.

Let's go Marquette!!!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 08:09:34 AM »
Ja is even more of a one man team than Markus.   Over 80 ppg.   Some forwards with size.     

Morant is the first college player to average 20 points and 10 assists in a season, since assists became a stat in 1983-1984.

Scoring machine. Assist machine.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 08:15:28 AM »
If Morant is single handedly destroying our D ala Ponds and Powell, can we actually expect Wojo to double him and force the ball out of his hands?
No Finish Line

nyg

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2019, 08:38:06 AM »
Morant is the first college player to average 20 points and 10 assists in a season, since assists became a stat in 1983-1984.

Scoring machine. Assist machine.

Again, against the likes of UT-Martin, Austin Peay, Jacksonville St., Morehead St., SIU-Edwardsville, etc.  Not even close to BE teams.  Then again, he might dump 40 on MU.......  It will be interesting

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2019, 08:40:04 AM »
If Morant is single handedly destroying our D ala Ponds and Powell, can we actually expect Wojo to double him and force the ball out of his hands?

I would think he has been doubled much of his conference games as they know him best, and based on his very high assist rate it has done very little good.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2019, 08:42:55 AM »
Morant can be neutralized.

In Murray State's 78-72 loss against Alabama (ranked #59 by KenPom), Morant scored 38 points on 16-29 shooting -- but he had 10 turnovers and the rest of the team shot just 13-35.

In the 93-88 loss to #13 Auburn, Morant and company put up 1.21 points per possession   -- but gave up 1.27 points per possession. That includes allowing 67.7% on two-point attempts and 13 threes.

In the 79-66 loss to #54 Belmont, Morant was just 5-19 from the field and nobody else could pick up the slack.

Morant's performance against teams like #309 ranked Southern Missouri state -- 23 points, 8-10 on 2-pointers, 12 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals -- doesn't impress me much. 
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 08:46:10 AM »
I would think he has been doubled much of his conference games as they know him best, and based on his very high assist rate it has done very little good.
I’d take my chances throwing multiple bodies at him and force his teammates to score. I think he’ll kill our m2m and to make it worse he’s likely to get the star treatment and I could see him quickly getting Sacar, Theo etc into foul trouble. I’d also like to see some zone against this team
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 08:48:27 AM »
I’d take my chances throwing multiple bodies at him and force his teammates to score. I think he’ll kill our m2m and to make it worse he’s likely to get the star treatment and I could see him quickly getting Sacar, Theo etc into foul trouble. I’d also like to see some zone against this team

Because MU has played 0 zone this year, so Murray State won't have a scouting report for it. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2019, 08:48:44 AM »

Wojo will make adjustments to the D in the second half. If he is murdering them on layups and the bigs getting in foul trouble dont be surprised to see them switch to 3-2 zone to nutrilize him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2019, 08:55:41 AM »

In Murray State's 78-72 loss against Alabama (ranked #59 by KenPom), Morant scored 38 points on 16-29 shooting -- but he had 10 turnovers and the rest of the team shot just 13-35.

In the 93-88 loss to #13 Auburn, Morant and company put up 1.21 points per possession   -- but gave up 1.27 points per possession. That includes allowing 67.7% on two-point attempts and 13 threes.

In the 79-66 loss to #54 Belmont, Morant was just 5-19 from the field and nobody else could pick up the slack.

Morant's performance against teams like #309 ranked Southern Missouri state -- 23 points, 8-10 on 2-pointers, 12 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals -- doesn't impress me much.

Yeah, on the one hand I don't want to disrespect him. NBA scouts see him as a future star, and they don't say that about guys who can't play. (Even if it turns out they can't play, as does happen sometimes with high draft picks.)

On the other hand, let's see how he and his teammates do against a good all-around team with a good defense, a rim protector, and several offensive weapons.

This is the kind of matchup that the NCAA tourney should be about. I'm excited about it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2019, 08:55:58 AM »
A lot of talk about trying a zone, and I just don't see it.  We've faced a lot of talented guards this season (Langford, Massinburg, Ponds, Powell, Booth) and haven't zoned any of them. I realize that Ja is in another category, but I don't think we can get a zone ready in three days.  Everybody may know the basics, but you get better by actually using it in the season, which we haven't.  Anything other than 40 minutes of mtm would be a major surprise IMO.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2019, 09:00:11 AM »
Morant turns the ball over at a higher rate than Markus and is by and large a one man wrecking crew, but he also has to guard someone. Logic says he has to guard Markus but then Markus can run him all over the court. If he guards Sacar, look for Sacar to drive and dish a lot to either get Morant in foul trouble and/or tired.

I have no idea why we are so obsessed with zone around here. Unless we get in very serious foul trouble there is no way we are going zone. Our M2M will be fine against Murray State, Morant will get his but as long as we play disciplined we can limit everyone else and going zone would negate our rebounding advantage on the defensive end. Biggest weakness we have in M2M is PnR and Murray State just isn't good at that, which means Morant is creating at the top for the most part and Murray State won't be pulling Theo/Ed out of the lane, should allow our shot blockers to feast. We should not adjust to Murray State unless they prove they can repeatedly beat our M2M....make them adjust to us.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2019, 09:04:14 AM »
A lot of talk about trying a zone, and I just don't see it.  We've faced a lot of talented guards this season (Langford, Massinburg, Ponds, Powell, Booth) and haven't zoned any of them. I realize that Ja is in another category, but I don't think we can get a zone ready in three days.  Everybody may know the basics, but you get better by actually using it in the season, which we haven't.  Anything other than 40 minutes of mtm would be a major surprise IMO.

And the other problem is that the Racers are a pretty good offensive rebounding team.  We play zone and we could give up a lot of offensive rebounds.  Maybe Wojo plays it as a surprise for a play or two but I don't expect to see zone a lot.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2019, 09:04:38 AM »
Morant turns the ball over at a higher rate than Markus and is by and large a one man wrecking crew, but he also has to guard someone. Logic says he has to guard Markus but then Markus can run him all over the court. If he guards Sacar, look for Sacar to drive and dish a lot to either get Morant in foul trouble and/or tired.

I have no idea why we are so obsessed with zone around here. Unless we get in very serious foul trouble there is no way we are going zone. Our M2M will be fine against Murray State, Morant will get his but as long as we play disciplined we can limit everyone else and going zone would negate our rebounding advantage on the defensive end. Biggest weakness we have in M2M is PnR and Murray State just isn't good at that, which means Morant is creating at the top for the most part and Murray State won't be pulling Theo/Ed out of the lane, should allow our shot blockers to feast. We should not adjust to Murray State unless they prove they can repeatedly beat our M2M....make them adjust to us.

I for one said zone because if Ja Morant does get into the lane and beat someone there will be another line of defense there to cover up quicker than. We all know how Theo plays defense and if he is not set and goes straight up he is going to be called for a foul every single time.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2019, 09:10:20 AM »
And the other problem is that the Racers are a pretty good offensive rebounding team.  We play zone and we could give up a lot of offensive rebounds.  Maybe Wojo plays it as a surprise for a play or two but I don't expect to see zone a lot.

I know VERY little about MS. But from what I’m reading, if I’m Wojo, (which I’m not thankfully cause MU would be 1-30).
Every 10-15 possessions I throw out zone and full court pressure.

Keep MS thinking and a bit off balance.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2019, 09:11:38 AM »
I for one said zone because if Ja Morant does get into the lane and beat someone there will be another line of defense there to cover up quicker than. We all know how Theo plays defense and if he is not set and goes straight up he is going to be called for a foul every single time.

A) playing man or zone that's going to be true so no difference
2) playing zone, especially when we aren't use to it, leaves seams that Morant can exploit with pull ups before he gets to the second line so it actually plays into his advantage
III) These aren't going to be Big East officials, we're going to be fine.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2019, 09:23:58 AM »
A) playing man or zone that's going to be true so no difference
2) playing zone, especially when we aren't use to it, leaves seams that Morant can exploit with pull ups before he gets to the second line so it actually plays into his advantage
III) These aren't going to be Big East officials, we're going to be fine.

Are you sure about that?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »

Morant rolled his ankle in the opening minutes of the Belmont game. On the floor in pain, he sat a little while but played visibly injured the rest of the game.