[Today at 08:35:27 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seton Hell  (Read 12160 times)

tower912

• All American
Seton Hell
« on: March 15, 2019, 11:18:22 PM »
1.   Seton Hall tightened up their defense in the second half.    Attacking and doubling and trapping and closing out taking away the 3 from Sam.   Nice adjustment.  Locking Sam down won them the game.     
2.   There was no way Markus was going to the basket very often after he came back.   SHU knew it and just kept running him off the line.    And they did not give him a call when he did drive.  That wrist injury sure did not help.   Markus wasn't really forcing before he got hurt, but he was certainly tentative after his return.  Even his free throw shooting was off.   
3.  The refs.   I try not to blame them.   Tonight, they were poor enough they became an issue.   Even that tech on Willard was a terrible call.   And their ineptitude contributed to the chaos.    And they still couldn't get the calls right on that.   
5.   Powell had heated up before the chaos.   While being guarded well.   And he was still on the floor after the chaos.    Astounding.   
6.   Sometimes, Joey is such a freshman.   The good and the bad, the brilliant and the dumb.   The best thing is that he will become a sophomore. 
7.  I like that MU matched SHU's intensity and physicality.    But sometimes they have to know when to walk away.    Don't let the temper in the moment get the best of you.   If one team goes nuts and the other one goes icy, I will bet on the icy one every time. 
8.   I thought Heldt should have played the rest of the first half after Morrow and Theo both had two.    He is more than adequate for 2:43 with the other two in foul trouble.    As he showed in the second half.     
9.   Foul trouble and ejections led to some messed up line ups.    Whine about Cain, whine about Chartouny, but with what was available, what were Wojo's options?
10.  Got some good looks as SHU made their runs.    Joey missed two FT's and a 3, Markus missed an open 3, missed offensive rebounds.   
11.   Down the stretch, SHU was the icy aggressive team.   The fracas focused and energized them.    Ergo...
12.   I really hate SHU.  But I had a feeling when Powell was not ejected that this would be the outcome.    Markus hurt.   Two ejections.   Foul trouble.    In the end, too much to overcome.   MU had their chances.    But could not get the big play they needed.    I'm frustrated and pissed, but after the fracas, this was how it was going to end. 

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriors141

• All American
Re: Seton Hell
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 11:20:08 PM »
powell>>>>> howard. ball game

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 11:21:00 PM »
I'm a cardholding "Fire Wojo" Wojo hater, but I don't think you can necessarily blame him for this loss.  Powell went Super Saiyan and the referees dictated the flow for the last 10 minutes - nothing you can do about that.  My only critique is that I wish he would have had the team attack the rim more with all of Seton Hall's lineup at 4 fouls.  However, that's not the strength of the team (which, now that I'm typing it - is at least indirectly Wojo's fault?).  Whatever, we weren't meant to win the BET this year.

MUfanatic45

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 11:22:13 PM »
Sam Hauser is our best player

Markus better realize it next year

He is the least clutch go to player ive ever watched

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:22:23 PM »
Is this how Kentucky felt after Laettner hit that shot?
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 11:22:30 PM »
Howard needs to look to pass A LOT more on his drives. Awful

Sam deserved the ball a lot more

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 11:23:10 PM »
You can debate the refs all day, but again inside 4 mins MU...

Struggled to get stops
Couldn't clear their boards
Lost every 50-50 ball

Unfortunately, this trend is going to lead to a very short NCAA appearance.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 11:23:14 PM »
Would have been nice to have gotten those 3 SH guys fouled out about 3-4 minutes earlier.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 11:23:31 PM »
You guys are hysterical.    And wrong.    But rationality isn't a thing after a game like this.    So, vent away. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 11:23:54 PM »
I don’t think I’ve been more pissed off at a game in my life.

Anybody know of any good boxing gyms on the Northside of Chicago? Need to let out some aggression on the heavy bag.

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 11:24:13 PM »
no blame on wojo from me-he played it fine. how many winning plays did vander blue, djo, etc. make as guards at end of games. howard doesn't make those plays

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 11:24:29 PM »
You guys are hysterical.    And wrong.    But rationality isn't a thing after a game like this.    So, vent away.
Your patronizing is sure gonna help.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 11:24:40 PM »
It was brought up earlier that MU should attack Powell because he had 4 fouls.  No way the officials call the 5th on Powell in the last 5 minutes.  Absolute joke.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 11:24:43 PM »
The dumb here is really stunning

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 11:25:20 PM »
I'm a cardholding "Fire Wojo" Wojo hater, but I don't think you can necessarily blame him for this loss.  Powell went Super Saiyan and the referees dictated the flow for the last 10 minutes - nothing you can do about that.  My only critique is that I wish he would have had the team attack the rim more with all of Seton Hall's lineup at 4 fouls.  However, that's not the strength of the team (which, now that I'm typing it - is at least indirectly Wojo's fault?).  Whatever, we weren't meant to win the BET this year.
Wojo deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for not getting himself ejected

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 11:25:36 PM »
What are they wrong about?

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 11:26:23 PM »
What are they wrong about?

Nothing wrong here.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 11:27:15 PM »
I disliked Seton Hall before this game. Even more so now. The handshake line skirmish sealed it. unnatural carnal knowledge powell.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 11:27:20 PM »
I’m a big Wojo fan, but why didn’t we foul with 38 seconds left? Seton Hall had theee back ups in and Markus was getting to the line at will the last 2 minutes.  Why not continue the free throw shooting contest?

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 11:27:33 PM »
You can debate the refs all day, but again inside 4 mins MU...

Struggled to get stops
Couldn't clear their boards
Lost every 50-50 ball

Unfortunately, this trend is going to lead to a very short NCAA appearance.

Second weekend would be an absolute miracle at this point. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 11:28:34 PM »
Crazy game, crazy statistics, crazy.  Some crazy posters also. 

Markus 1 for 15 from field.  Free Throws 18 for 24.  Has he ever shot worse in his career.  No.  Injury is to non shooting hand, but who knows. 

SH free throws:  26 for 44 59%  Total fouls 30
MU free throws: 29 for 41  70%  Total fouls 27

MU missed 9 free throws down the stretch.  Nine.  Ball game. 

Joe C. was terrible as was Cain.  Cain looks lost, afraid, something, and he should have let that ball go out of bounds, but made a foul. But it is what it is.  Better next year.

Why Wojo didn't call time out at end.  Believe 5.9 seconds, throw it in, .5 seconds.  Set up play at half court.  I don't know, just strange game.  Maybe stay a 5 seed, but probable 6 now. 

Wojo just said it was craziest game ever seen. 

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 11:29:02 PM »
It was brought up earlier that MU should attack Powell because he had 4 fouls.  No way the officials call the 5th on Powell in the last 5 minutes.  Absolute joke.

He actually did commit a foul in there if you remember, it just wasn't called. It was on a Rowsey-style pump 3 and the refs let it go for some reason.

And I'm not saying that I expect that to always be called but it was a foul, and it was a game where there were 50 fouls so I assumed we'd get the call there as it was fairly obvious.

The mixture of blatant missed calls as well as false positives in this game was just perplexing. Truly unusual, as Wojo said.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:31:18 PM by D'Lo Brown »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 11:29:03 PM »
I’m a big Wojo fan, but why didn’t we foul with 38 seconds left? Seton Hall had theee back ups in and Markus was getting to the line at will the last 2 minutes.  Why not continue the free throw shooting contest?

He wanted to defend and get the rebound. In the end what you want is the ball with the chance to win or tie. He got that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 11:30:30 PM »
I get that the refs were awful and the ejections bad luck etc. But my god this game really sucked the life out of me. This season has turned to a complete disaster at the blink of an eye. Its just sad. If they dont win one next week it may be the most disappointing years in a long time. Not blaming wojo. Not saying anything by holy f*ck guys.. this has been deflating. Seton hall can f their cocky asses.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 11:30:47 PM »
1.   Seton Hall tightened up their defense in the second half.    Attacking and doubling and trapping and closing out taking away the 3 from Sam.   Nice adjustment.  Locking Sam down won them the game.     
2.   There was no way Markus was going to the basket very often after he came back.   SHU knew it and just kept running him off the line.    And they did not give him a call when he did drive.  That wrist injury sure did not help.   Markus wasn't really forcing before he got hurt, but he was certainly tentative after his return.  Even his free throw shooting was off.   
3.  The refs.   I try not to blame them.   Tonight, they were poor enough they became an issue.   Even that tech on Willard was a terrible call.   And their ineptitude contributed to the chaos.    And they still couldn't get the calls right on that.   
5.   Powell had heated up before the chaos.   While being guarded well.   And he was still on the floor after the chaos.    Astounding.   
6.   Sometimes, Joey is such a freshman.   The good and the bad, the brilliant and the dumb.   The best thing is that he will become a sophomore. 
7.  I like that MU matched SHU's intensity and physicality.    But sometimes they have to know when to walk away.    Don't let the temper in the moment get the best of you.   If one team goes nuts and the other one goes icy, I will bet on the icy one every time. 
8.   I thought Heldt should have played the rest of the first half after Morrow and Theo both had two.    He is more than adequate for 2:43 with the other two in foul trouble.    As he showed in the second half.     
9.   Foul trouble and ejections led to some messed up line ups.    Whine about Cain, whine about Chartouny, but with what was available, what were Wojo's options?
10.  Got some good looks as SHU made their runs.    Joey missed two FT's and a 3, Markus missed an open 3, missed offensive rebounds.   
11.   Down the stretch, SHU was the icy aggressive team.   The fracas focused and energized them.    Ergo...
12.   I really hate SHU.  But I had a feeling when Powell was not ejected that this would be the outcome.    Markus hurt.   Two ejections.   Foul trouble.    In the end, too much to overcome.   MU had their chances.    But could not get the big play they needed.    I'm frustrated and pissed, but after the fracas, this was how it was going to end. 

Tower, this is spot on except for #7. You suggest MU got drawn into the scrum but I’d say it was the opposite—oddly enough it was Theo who exemplified that (calmly walking away after being pushed, trying to pull Sacad away, basically being a chill mofo). The team handled some real “injustices” like seasoned pros.

feedback