[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: We need to get out and run....  (Read 4858 times)

denverMU

• All American
We need to get out and run....
« on: March 13, 2019, 10:21:16 PM »
The last 4 games we have scored on averaged 10 pts less than our season average, 15 pts less in the Villanova, Creighton, and Seton Hall.  Somehow we have become a walk it up half court offense team.  I hope we get back to pushing it up the court.

Daniel

• All American
Re: We need to get out and run....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 10:23:38 PM »
The last 4 games we have scored on averaged 10 pts less than our season average, 15 pts less in the Villanova, Creighton, and Seton Hall.  Somehow we have become a walk it up half court offense team.  I hope we get back to pushing it up the court.

We will need to dictate the tempo of game. We have not done that for a while.  And we must get inside in the Johnnies and draw fouls. Must.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 10:40:16 PM »
I agree.  Also, STJ just played a full game and should be tired tomorrow.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 10:46:23 PM »
We have 1 guard who plays 40 minutes.....

We aren't scoring less because we aren't running......we have scored less because in the first 3 losses we turned it over a ton and in the last one we couldn't make a shot... .we took 16 more attempts then Georgetown.
We have never been a run and gun team this season.

The first SJ game was 72 possessions and we got blown out.  ....the2nd was 66 and we lost by 1 at the buzzer.

Our lowest possession game in conference was at home vs Nova.... we won. The 2nd slowest was at Providence......blew them out.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 10:46:54 PM »

They won't be tired....we better come to play.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 10:53:43 PM »
We have 1 guard who plays 40 minutes.....

We aren't scoring less because we aren't running......we have scored less because in the first 3 losses we turned it over a ton and in the last one we couldn't make a shot... .we took 16 more attempts then Georgetown.
We have never been a run and gun team this season.

The first SJ game was 72 possessions and we got blown out.  ....the2nd was 66 and we lost by 1 at the buzzer.

Our lowest possession game in conference was at home vs Nova.... we won. The 2nd slowest was at Providence......blew them out.

Dis guy has got it right. Nothing has changed the last four games in terms of pace. First three we kept giving it away and the last one we couldn't hit a shot.

That being said, wouldn't mind making St. John's run. Short bench + back to back games + fast pace = tired Johnnies
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 10:56:45 PM »
We got this.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 08:12:51 AM »
Dis guy has got it right. Nothing has changed the last four games in terms of pace. First three we kept giving it away and the last one we couldn't hit a shot.

That being said, wouldn't mind making St. John's run. Short bench + back to back games + fast pace = tired Johnnies
Disagree.  That's how they want to play.  I don't think they'll be gassed.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 08:16:47 AM »
I have watched MU for 45 years.  They will lose tonight.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 08:23:36 AM »

They pretty much played 6 players last night and a guy who has had to sit multiple games this because of knee tendinitis played 38 minutes. That would wear on anybody. Besides, there are other ways to make teams run, lots of screens on the offensive end, quick passes around the perimeter, token pressure on defense.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 08:26:45 AM »

Please show evidence of you going 31-0 predicting MU games this season. I'll hang up and listen.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 08:34:21 AM »
Please show evidence of you going 31-0 predicting MU games this season. I'll hang up and listen.

How long have you watched MU?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 08:44:19 AM »

Long enough to know that this team is good enough to beat just about anybody if we play well and flawed enough to lose to just about anybody if we don't.

But is it your contention that you automatically are better at predicting the outcome of Marquette games than, say, TAMU and wades because you are old and they aren't?

Look 69er, you made a flat-out prediction: Marquette will lose. Before any of us make a wager based on your prediction, we'd like to see your record as a tout. That's a reasonable request.

What was your prediction of our record going into this season? How about after we lost to Kansas, what was your prediction of our record then? Did you predict us to beat K-State, Buffalo, Wisconsin, Louisville and Nova? Did you predict us to lose at home to Creighton and G-Town?

Predicting us to lose tonight is easy. If we lose, you get to say "I told you so" and be happy in your miserableness. If we win, you can say, "Glad I was wrong ... but I'm still not sure about Wojo." For the grumpier Scoopers, predicting a loss tonight is really a no-lose situation.

So again, what is your record as a predictor?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 08:44:53 AM »

So this gives you ability to see the future?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 08:48:40 AM »
Only about 40 years for me, but I get that feeling as well.  Not as sure about it as you seem to be, however.  I'll be there rooting them on and hoping for the best, though.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »
Let's get out our measuring sticks while we are at it...By the way 40+ years for me, and I predict we start out slow, have a close lead at half time, and blow them out the second half.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 09:02:04 AM »

Not sure we want to run when 1) that isn't the style we have played all year (in fact, I think we throttled back b/c we turned it over frequently when we tried to get out in transition early in the season) and 2) St. John's is more athletic than we are at most spots on the floor. Not saying they are better basketball players, but they are more athletic.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 09:03:29 AM »
Eight straight quarterfinal losses.  Coming in on a four game losing streak.  Having lost both games to SJU this year.  You think they will win tonight?  Well good for you.  I want nothing more then to be wrong.  But they will lose tonight.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 09:04:37 AM »
Besides, there are other ways to make teams run, lots of screens on the offensive end, quick passes around the perimeter, token pressure on defense.

This makes sense. Avoid the turnovers long enough to make them work on D.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 09:04:58 AM »
Not sure we want to run when 1) that isn't the style we have played all year (in fact, I think we throttled back b/c we turned it over frequently when we tried to get out in transition early in the season) and 2) St. John's is more athletic than we are at most spots on the floor. Not saying they are better basketball players, but they are more athletic.

Right  Run with them?   LOL  horrible idea  You have seen how many turns we have had lately?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 09:06:47 AM »
Right  Run with them?   LOL  horrible idea  You have seen how many turns we have had lately?
9 in the last 60 minutes.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 09:08:54 AM »
9 in the last 60 minutes.

Zero since Saturday!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 09:11:20 AM »

Funny thing about basketball. You can run even if you don't have the ball in your hands (thus in little to no danger of causing a turnover). I have found that if an offensive player without the ball runs around screens, runs to get open, runs to clear space, etc their defender will run with them. More running = more more fatigue = sloppy play = defensive fouls = advantage MU given the length of the benches and the extra days off
TAMU

onepost

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 09:11:52 AM »
Eight straight quarterfinal losses.  Coming in on a four game losing streak.  Having lost both games to SJU this year.  You think they will win tonight?  Well good for you.  I want nothing more THAN (since you're on your high horse, I'll get on mine) to be wrong.  But they will lose tonight.

I disagree.  I watched about 7 teams totally run out of gas in the second half yesterday on day 2 of a back-to-back.
St. John's is not a disciplined team in the slightest, and I think they get sloppy and short in the second while we pull away.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 09:15:35 AM »
SJU plays at one of the quickest paces in the nation. Would Wojo be playing into their hands. MU lost the last four games as our eFG% dropped off and we fouled a lot more. Hit over 58% and keep the fouls down.

MU has lost the FTR battle (one of the four factors) the last four games by a wide margin (and it isn’t just because MU was fouling at the end like SH). Something fundamentally has changed on how either MU is playing or the officials have been calling the game. We ain’t receiving at the same rate we are getting.  Very odd.

If Stephens is out there, look out as he was the lead official in 50% of these games. Wojo might catch him this game.

feedback