[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cardinal Pell convicted of sexual abuse  (Read 5427 times)

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
Cardinal Pell convicted of sexual abuse
« on: March 13, 2019, 01:26:36 AM »
What is genuinely disturbing is how the Catholic Church has not only known about the abuses but has actively been complicit in covering up the crimes.

Should the Roman Catholic Church survive is the real question.

Disgusting.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Cardinal Pell convicted of sexual abuse
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 02:50:12 AM »
What is genuinely disturbing is how the Catholic Church has not only known about the abuses but has actively been complicit in covering up the crimes.

Disgusting.

A lot of bad stuff, a ton of good as well.  This is part of what you get with a human organization that becomes a landing spot for all kinds.  Church has had a pedophile problem for a long time.....existed in our parish growing up and many kids impacted.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:04:05 AM »

Disgusting.

If it survives, it does so without me.  Corrupt institution to its very core. Been effectively 'gone' for years.

I can envision God saying to St. Peter, 'When so and so passes let me know.  I'll personally handle this one.'

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 08:09:35 AM »
If it survives, it does so without me.  Corrupt institution to its very core. Been effectively 'gone' for years.

I can envision God saying to St. Peter, 'When so and so passes let me know.  I'll personally handle this one.'

Brother Glow, this is what worries me about my faith right now. Many of us who were raised in the faith and continue to be practicing Catholics are to the point where we are asking, "what's next?"

Since I was young, we have had financial scandals, pedophilia and, more recently, sexual scandals involving priests abusing nuns. Admittedly, we're not alone but that does not make it right. My high school has five priests on faculty and three of them, including the principal, had credible evidence of pedophilia. One of those priests just died in the state prison. When a deacon/attorney in the diocese called for an independent investigation of the diocese, he was stripped of his ministry.

What scares me is that the Church's mission is to bring God closer to the masses but, in the process, our church has protected the institution rather than the people it is supposed to serve.

Perhaps the biggest victim of all, next to the abuse victims themselves, is the church these men failed. What keeps me going is the number of rally incredible people I've known over the years who are priests and deacons, including many of the folks I knew at MU.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 08:45:48 AM »
Darn immoral atheists!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 09:13:52 AM »
A lot of bad stuff, a ton of good as well.  This is part of what you get with a human organization that becomes a landing spot for all kinds.  Church has had a pedophile problem for a long time.....existed in our parish growing up and many kids impacted.

While it is a "human organization," it is also an organization that has used concepts like "infallibility" as a hammer to get its way and to conform its membership.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 09:33:17 AM »

Disgusting.

No, they shouldn't survive.

But as we see, the feds (or whoever has jurisdiction in each case) don't seem to have much of an interest in it. Separation of church and state, and all. I guess. They will take down a few higher profile clerics and call that justice.

I think there is plenty of evidence that the government takes a hands-off approach to prosecuting any religious officials - do scientology officials have to pay for their crimes? There are endless examples of religious officials across the spectrum enjoying special status when it comes to the judicial system.

And I hope I'm totally wrong on my assessment... The whole thing reeks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:36:44 AM by D'Lo Brown »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 09:46:21 AM »
I think this happens often because of the statute of limitations that existed when the crime were committed.  These accusations oftentimes are coming to light decades later, and there is little that prosecutors can do.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:59:16 AM »
I think this happens often because of the statute of limitations that existed when the crime were committed.  These accusations oftentimes are coming to light decades later, and there is little that prosecutors can do.

Aiding and abetting clerics which you know are pedophiles, has to be prosecutable. I'm not just talking about the individual rapes and assaults. There are a litany of other crimes still going on to this day.

Further, there are many states without any statute of limitations on child sexual abuse. Many others have an extremely long statute of limitations such as 30 years.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-services/state-civil-statutes-of-limitations-in-child-sexua.aspx

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 10:02:21 AM »
The Catholics aren't alone in this.  Uptick in reporting of abuse in other denominations as well.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 10:04:36 AM »

While it is a "human organization," it is also an organization that has used concepts like "infallibility" as a hammer to get its way and to conform its membership.

In rare occasions, yes.  Not much different than our civic leaders who force conformity with penalties, eh?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 10:06:43 AM »
Further, there are many states without any statute of limitations on child sexual abuse. Many others have an extremely long statute of limitations such as 30 years.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-services/state-civil-statutes-of-limitations-in-child-sexua.aspx

Most of these extensions and eliminations of statutes of limitations in sex abuse cases have occurred only within the last decade and cannot be applied retroactively to offenses that occurred decades ago.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 10:17:06 AM »

It's remarkable how often people in general - and Catholics in particular - misunderstand the concept of papal infallibility.
It does not mean that the pope is never wrong or that whatever he says goes for all walks of life. It does not say the pope can't be mistaken or make errors in matters like discipline or speaking on matters of morality.
Rather, it says the pope gets final say over official church dogma.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 10:22:29 AM »
In rare occasions, yes.  Not much different than our civic leaders who force conformity with penalties, eh?

Not a very good analogy. We the people get to elect the civic leaders who make the laws and decide the penalties. I've never been able to vote for a pope, bishop, monsignor or pastor.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 11:33:03 AM »
Brother Glow, this is what worries me about my faith right now. Many of us who were raised in the faith and continue to be practicing Catholics are to the point where we are asking, "what's next?"

Since I was young, we have had financial scandals, pedophilia and, more recently, sexual scandals involving priests abusing nuns. Admittedly, we're not alone but that does not make it right. My high school has five priests on faculty and three of them, including the principal, had credible evidence of pedophilia. One of those priests just died in the state prison. When a deacon/attorney in the diocese called for an independent investigation of the diocese, he was stripped of his ministry.

What scares me is that the Church's mission is to bring God closer to the masses but, in the process, our church has protected the institution rather than the people it is supposed to serve.

Perhaps the biggest victim of all, next to the abuse victims themselves, is the church these men failed. What keeps me going is the number of rally incredible people I've known over the years who are priests and deacons, including many of the folks I knew at MU.

Your faith is what is important - the institution is not.

I stopped attending church in the 1980s when christian leaders proclaimed that "the queers got what they deserved" about the AIDS crisis. My beliefs and faith didn't change. My trust in the institution did.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 02:07:05 PM »
No, they shouldn't survive.

But as we see, the feds (or whoever has jurisdiction in each case) don't seem to have much of an interest in it. Separation of church and state, and all. I guess. They will take down a few higher profile clerics and call that justice.

I think there is plenty of evidence that the government takes a hands-off approach to prosecuting any religious officials - do scientology officials have to pay for their crimes? There are endless examples of religious officials across the spectrum enjoying special status when it comes to the judicial system.

And I hope I'm totally wrong on my assessment... The whole thing reeks.

You need a little brush up on “separation of church and state”. But otherwise,  everyone of these monsters including those who moved them around and covered things up should be put into a place where real justice will be served.  What’s good for the gooser eyn’a?  (Not you goose😳)

As many here make mention of how they are leaving the church...the church is run by humans.  My church is The Big Guy himself
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 03:00:14 PM »
You need a little brush up on “separation of church and state”. But otherwise,  everyone of these monsters including those who moved them around and covered things up should be put into a place where real justice will be served.  What’s good for the gooser eyn’a?  (Not you goose😳)

As many here make mention of how they are leaving the church...the church is run by humans.  My church is The Big Guy himself

Your church is Shaquille O'Neal? Wow! I'm sure he's honored!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 03:11:01 PM »
Not a very good analogy. We the people get to elect the civic leaders who make the laws and decide the penalties. I've never been able to vote for a pope, bishop, monsignor or pastor.

Not all civic leaders are elected.

Certainly not all bureaucrats that make decisions that force conformity with penalties for noncompliance.

You are 100% correct on papal infallibility which I am glad you pointed out to Fluffy...I attempted the same by saying rarely, but you did a much better job.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 03:52:43 PM »
Not all civic leaders are elected.

Certainly not all bureaucrats that make decisions that force conformity with penalties for noncompliance.

But those bureaucrats - at least in theory, if not always in reality - ultimately answer to an elected official.
I mean, you're correct that not every police officer or code inspector is elected by the people. But that person ultimately works for a mayor or a governor or a county board member, etc. who sets the policy the hired hands enact and enforce.

That's very much unlike the church, in which the policymakers are elected by no one (except the pope, who's elected by a bunch of unelected cardinals).

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 06:32:52 PM »
The Catholic church corrupt? SHOCKER

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 06:42:55 PM »
But those bureaucrats - at least in theory, if not always in reality - ultimately answer to an elected official.
I mean, you're correct that not every police officer or code inspector is elected by the people. But that person ultimately works for a mayor or a governor or a county board member, etc. who sets the policy the hired hands enact and enforce.

That's very much unlike the church, in which the policymakers are elected by no one (except the pope, who's elected by a bunch of unelected cardinals).

There are priests, bishops, even Cardinals that will do their own thing, usually the American version despite papal edicts. This has been the case for decades by some. 

Now, I get where you are going on the elected leader thing, but I believe it is way too simplistic in terms of what actually happens in the real world. Bureaucrats don't get fired, often following their own drumbeat for any number of reasons which I cannot state or the post will be deleted.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 06:44:02 PM »
The Catholic church corrupt? SHOCKER

Fill in 1000's of other entities, same thing.

It's the level of the corruption and the nature of it which is so damning.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 06:47:04 PM »
Your faith is what is important - the institution is not.

I stopped attending church in the 1980s when christian leaders proclaimed that "the queers got what they deserved" about the AIDS crisis. My beliefs and faith didn't change. My trust in the institution did.

Totally agree with first sentence

Not sure which “leaders” proclaimed the above, but whoever they were and if they were considered to be “leaders” then in my mind, they completely ceased to be if that’s what they “proclaimed”.
don't...don't don't don't don't

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 10:55:53 AM »

You do have a vote in the Church.

You may elect to withhold support for the Catholic Church and its activities.

You may elect to leave the church and pursue a faith tradition that is more consistent with your beliefs, values and better serves your need for spiritual support.

You may even elect to pursue political changes within the temporal framework of the country in which we live. For example, the democracy we cherish and the Catholic Church fears can be used to revoke the tax-free status of organized religion's real estate. Or, you can pursue a political response in which collection revenue is taxed as income.

There are all kinds of things you can "vote" on, if you wish.

As a side note, the sad element of all of the scandals in our church has been that the folks who use our Catholic faith tradition as a vehicle to live the teachings of Jesus also have been tarnished by the continuing scandals. The thousands of people at Marquette, for example, who taught us, the pastors and associates who uphold their vows and minister to the communities in which they live, quietly and humbly have got to be absolutely downtrodden by all of this.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 11:36:26 AM »
You do have a vote in the Church.

You may elect to withhold support for the Catholic Church and its activities.

You may elect to leave the church and pursue a faith tradition that is more consistent with your beliefs, values and better serves your need for spiritual support.

By this logic, I have a vote on the Apple board of directors if I chose to by an Android instead.
And a vote on the Facebook board if I delete my profile.
And a vote on multiple automakers' board when I chose another company's vehicle.
None of which is actually true.
Choosing not to belong or donate to the church in no way gives me influence over its hierarchy or leadership structure.