[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 201493 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2019, 03:59:01 PM »
Of the seven programs in the SEC that did not make the tournament this year, it is likely that five of them will be looking at new coaching hires by the end of this Spring (including LSU).  Of the two that will not be replaced, one recently went to a Final Four (Frank Martin) and the other was hired last year (Tom Crean). 

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2019, 04:09:52 PM »
Mike Anderson out at Arkansas.  5 openings currently in the SEC

Man, the guy made 3 NCAAs and 2 NITs in 8 years.  Fired after making the NIT this year.  Now there’s a program that holds its coach accountable.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2019, 04:17:56 PM »
Of the seven programs in the SEC that did not make the tournament this year, it is likely that five of them will be looking at new coaching hires by the end of this Spring (including LSU).  Of the two that will not be replaced, one recently went to a Final Four (Frank Martin) and the other was hired last year (Tom Crean).

Frank Martin may not be at South Carolina much longer. He's managed a winning conference record only 3 times in 7 seasons -- while making the NCAA tournament just once.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2019, 04:18:12 PM »
Man, the guy made 3 NCAAs and 2 NITs in 8 years.  Fired after making the NIT this year.  Now there’s a program that holds its coach accountable.

I guess
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2019, 04:19:00 PM »

Or maybe there's more to the story? Not saying there is, just that this seems weird.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2019, 04:25:39 PM »
Anderson has been trending downward for a couple of years. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #206 on: March 26, 2019, 04:26:40 PM »

Last three seasons:
26-10 (12-6), second round exit, #35 KenPom, #36 recruiting class
23-12 (10-8), first round exit, #44 KenPom, #38 recruiting class
18-16 (8-10), NIT, #55 KenPom, #135 recruiting class

Do you detect a trend?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #207 on: March 26, 2019, 04:28:10 PM »
Or maybe there's more to the story? Not saying there is, just that this seems weird.

Nothing weird about it...this is EXACTLY what it looks like when an administration has high expectations for their BB program...when those expectations aren't met, the Coach loses his job. MU's administration could learn a lot from this, instead I bet they see this, are scratching their heads going..."what the hell, the guy went to 3 NCAA's, and two NIT's..what more do they want?? That's right in line with our expectations here".
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2019, 04:29:36 PM »
Mike Anderson out at Arkansas.  5 openings currently in the SEC

and 4 Sweet 16 teams. Feast or famine.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2019, 04:32:36 PM »
Nothing weird about it...this is EXACTLY what it looks like when an administration has high expectations for their BB program...when those expectations aren't met, the Coach loses his job. MU's administration could learn a lot from this, instead I bet they see this, are scratching their heads going..."what the hell, the guy went to 3 NCAA's, and two NIT's..what more do they want?? That's right in line with our expectations here".

I bet that’s what they’re thinking exactly.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #210 on: March 26, 2019, 04:33:04 PM »

Will you stop ranting for once and use an ounce of common sense?  Wojo just got his team to a 5-seed.  Anderson has been trending downward for three years as Pakuni pointed out.  Clearly programs that aren't alike at all.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #211 on: March 26, 2019, 04:41:11 PM »
Last three seasons:

Do you detect a trend?
I don't know...how were the last 5-6 games of this past season?  That's what we'd need to know to determine a trend.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #212 on: March 26, 2019, 04:41:43 PM »
Last three seasons:

Do you detect a trend?

Yes, the trend is not very dissimiliar from MU's last 3 seasons, in different order, but not much different. I wish people would stop looking at "trend lines" etc...and just look at REAL results...ignore everything else and look at Wojo's last three years..

19-13 (10-8) first round exit Kenpom #97
21-14 (9-9) NIT Kenpom #53
24-10 (12-6) first round exit #32

Sure, the record has gotten better...no doubt about that so has the Kenpom(why people take that as gospel I have no idea, but whatever)...the NCAA tournament record has NOT.

Now...my challenge to everyone here, is LOOK at these three years based solely on the record etc. IGNORE the fact what he started with etc etc(that argument is tired and lame)...Just REALLY look at the raw #'s...and ask yourself...is this/should it be good enough at a place like Marquette?? Or is this Mediocrity at it's finest(all things considered)??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #213 on: March 26, 2019, 04:46:49 PM »
Yes, the trend is not very dissimiliar from MU's last 3 seasons, in different order, but not much different. I wish people would stop looking at "trend lines" etc...and just look at REAL results...ignore everything else and look at Wojo's last three years..

Sure, the record has gotten better...no doubt about that so has the Kenpom(why people take that as gospel I have no idea, but whatever)...the NCAA tournament record has NOT.

Now...my challenge to everyone here, is LOOK at these three years based solely on the record etc. IGNORE the fact what he started with etc etc(that argument is tired and lame)...Just REALLY look at the raw #'s...and ask yourself...is this/should it be good enough at a place like Marquette?? Or is this Mediocrity at it's finest(all things considered)??
Some one on this site defined Mediocrity as Waukesha. Waukesha it is.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #214 on: March 26, 2019, 04:51:41 PM »

$130M in annual athletic revenues

A slight difference between MU and UA in terms of operating budget, size, ability to pay buy outs, etc
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #215 on: March 26, 2019, 04:56:04 PM »

When is Marquette joining the SEC and getting that football money that gives them flexibility to do these things. Since you are going to compare us to their administration, compare the tools with which they have to operate, as well. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #216 on: March 26, 2019, 04:57:23 PM »

OMG

Trend is similar, even though the exact opposite.  Where did you go to school?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #217 on: March 26, 2019, 04:58:23 PM »
When is Marquette joining the SEC and getting that football money that gives them flexibility to do these things. Since you are going to compare us to their administration, compare the tools with which they have to operate, as well.

MU's athletic program has plenty of $$ to do these things, and you know that. They will pay top dollar for a Coach etc. They have plenty of wealthy enough donors to do what needs to be done.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #218 on: March 26, 2019, 05:01:08 PM »
OMG

Trend is similar, even though the exact opposite.  Where did you go to school?

I knew you wouldn't be able to do it Chicos...your elevator doesn't go to the top floor...I asked a simple question...just look at the last three years...forget about anything else...just the last three years...would that/should that be good enough for the BB program at Marquette?? It's a simple yes or no answer...not some diatribe about Buzz etc. Answer the question...should that performance/record be good enoug hat a place like Marquette??

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #219 on: March 26, 2019, 05:04:14 PM »
MU's athletic program has plenty of $$ to do these things, and you know that. They will pay top dollar for a Coach etc. They have plenty of wealthy enough donors to do what needs to be done.

Well, we don’t pay top dollar now and haven’t.  We have been up there, but not TOP DOLLAR.

You do realize that these schools have many more alums, of the well heeled and garden variety type...more options to cultivate donors.  They also have football money to fall back on.  SEC network distribution is massive.  Apples and oranges.

We pay well, but we also don’t have the luxury of missing like these other schools which is also why we are going to be a lot more conservative making changes than the schools you keep bringing up.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2019, 05:11:39 PM »
Yes, good. Let's be like Arkansas. Very cool.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #221 on: March 26, 2019, 05:12:59 PM »
The folks who have and continue to want Wojo gone remind me of fanbases at mid-low level SEC football programs.

bump

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #222 on: March 26, 2019, 05:24:52 PM »
Yes, the trend is not very dissimiliar from MU's last 3 seasons, in different order, but not much different.

So the exact opposite is "not much different"? I get it, you're unhappy with March results, but this is a stretch, even for you.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2019, 05:30:08 PM »
So the exact opposite is "not much different"? I get it, you're unhappy with March results, but this is a stretch, even for you.

I should have said the results are similar..because that's what i look at, that's the bottom line to me.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2019, 05:36:07 PM »
Guru-

Give it up.  You will persuade absolutely no one to change their mind.  Just like no one will change yours.

feedback