collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: DEMOCRATS PICK MILWAUKEE FOR 2020 CONVENTION: AP  (Read 8431 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: DEMOCRATS PICK MILWAUKEE FOR 2020 CONVENTION: AP
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 07:24:46 PM »
Just ask Chicago what happens when they don't.

Imagine a Democratic convention if the late Harold Brier still was police chief!

I worry about outsiders more than the fine people of Wisconsin.  Considering one of my kids will be there and working in the area, I hope everything is peaceful.  If it is like the last few, there will be fencing / walls built and areas for people to do their thing in designated areas.  That seemed to work. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 07:35:18 PM »

Imagine a Democratic convention if the late Harold Brier still was police chief!

Don't worry. I'm confident the Milwaukee PD will behave far better than Chicago's did in '68.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 08:17:56 PM »
  great for the economy of milwaukee and wisconsin, BUT the big concern will be hotel rooms.  isn't this scheduled for july.  i didn't catch the exact date, but summerfest followed by the other ethnic fests will tie up many rooms.  in addition, if the brewers are in town and any other business.  air B & B will be at a premium like uber on a busy friday night-not so cheap. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 08:29:40 PM »
  great for the economy of milwaukee and wisconsin, BUT the big concern will be hotel rooms.  isn't this scheduled for july.  i didn't catch the exact date, but summerfest followed by the other ethnic fests will tie up many rooms.  in addition, if the brewers are in town and any other business.  air B & B will be at a premium like uber on a busy friday night-not so cheap.

Not sure if the 2020 MLB schedule is set but if it isn't I'm confident they'll have the Brewers on a road trip that week. Hotels I'm sure are already blocked for that week for DNC use so I'm sure that will be fine. I'm mostly concerned about infrastructure issues.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 08:41:37 PM »

July 13-16, so Summerfest will be done. I imagine that if the city wants it, MLB will have the Brewers out of town that week.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 08:56:32 PM »
July 13-16, so Summerfest will be done. I imagine that if the city wants it, MLB will have the Brewers out of town that week.

Won't matter. That's the same time period as the MLB All-star game in LA.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 09:16:53 PM »
This is great news. Time to Airbnb the house!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 10:11:57 PM »
This is great news. Time to Airbnb the house!

I’m a little too far away to Airbnb, but I’m already pondering a few ideas on how to make some dough via other legal means. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 10:19:21 PM »
I’m a little too far away to Airbnb, but I’m already pondering a few ideas on how to make some dough via other legal means.

Imma just gonna sell weed.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 10:25:48 PM »

Demand is to(o) high. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 10:27:09 PM »
Cool, where you gonna set up  ;)
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 10:31:52 PM »
Demand is to(o) high.

Time to sell the cart and buy a van, aina?

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 01:14:44 AM »
Marquette should offer up some dorm rooms. Charge a hefty premium and fund some scholarships!

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2019, 03:11:55 AM »

1996 Chicago Democratic convention went well.

How old are you?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:12:03 AM by Rick Majerus' Towel »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 05:16:27 AM »

What a stretch, Breier hasn't been chief in 35 years and has been dead for over 20 so...
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 06:28:43 AM »
Not sure if the 2020 MLB schedule is set but if it isn't I'm confident they'll have the Brewers on a road trip that week. Hotels I'm sure are already blocked for that week for DNC use so I'm sure that will be fine. I'm mostly concerned about infrastructure issues.

re: the brewers-good call

i haven't seen any numbers from DNC yet, but this from the biztimes-

"“Milwaukee needs a 750- to 1,000-room headquarter hotel to attract large conventions,” Hanis said. “The city has good air service and the (room) rates are not oppressive. Milwaukee could be very competitive to go after the group travel market, but you just don’t have the diversity (in downtown hotel size) to bring in a 3,000- to 4,000-person conference.”

milwaukee has aprrox 5000 rooms with approx 66% occupancy rate

https://www.biztimes.com/2016/industries/hospitality-tourism/downtown-market-continues-to-add-hotel-rooms-fueling-oversupply-concerns/
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2019, 07:08:38 AM »
Marquette should offer up some dorm rooms. Charge a hefty premium and fund some scholarships!

Not a dumb idea. They already do this to some extent for conferences, sports camps, etc. Heck, they could even get McCormick out of the mothballs!
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2019, 07:48:05 AM »
Not a dumb idea. They already do this to some extent for conferences, sports camps, etc. Heck, they could even get McCormick out of the mothballs!

I'd stay in Room 915 one more time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2019, 08:39:46 AM »
Carpenter tower912 is a great room.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2019, 09:18:41 AM »

You think today’s political class is staying in a dorm room?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2019, 09:52:56 AM »

Some of them, yes.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2019, 11:11:13 AM »

All the protesters need somewhere to crash.
Have some patience, FFS.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2019, 11:12:39 AM »
All the protesters need somewhere to crash.

That's what public parks are for.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2019, 02:22:12 PM »
Milwaukee will be really entertaining people watching that week.  I know I'm not going but still.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2019, 03:18:10 PM »

Orrrr not...

https://www.facebook.com/MarquetteU/photos/a.485364044830485/2354299447936926/?type=3&theater
Have some patience, FFS.