Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hell of a regular season  (Read 20282 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Hell of a regular season
« on: March 09, 2019, 04:30:12 PM »
Great season all around.

All-american candidate, BEast POY candidate and NPOY candidate. Multiple BEast all-conference candidates. BEast freshman of the year candidate. BEast and national COY candidate.

Best finish in conference in YEARS. Best record in years.

#10 ranking during the season

Big-time up trend to our program. Love the coach and players. Recruiting looks top notch. Bringing back nearly every significant player plus redshirts.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Hell of a regular season
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 04:31:44 PM »
Great season all around.

All-american candidate, BEast POY candidate and NPOY candidate. Multiple BEast all-conference candidates. BEast freshman of the year candidate. BEast and national COY candidate.

Big-time up trend to our program. Love the coach and players. Recruiting looks top notch. Bringing back nearly every significant player plus redshirts.

Amen. Finally some proper context.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 04:35:07 PM »
Great season all around.

This post is 2 weeks too late. There is not a single player on this team that’s going to win an award after this collapse.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 04:37:21 PM »
Great job finishing #2 in the conference this year though. 

There maybe zero teams ranked in the top 25 this year from the big east.

Maybe we can hang up a #10 ranking like VCU does?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 04:38:31 PM »
Great season all around.

100% agree. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 04:40:28 PM »
Didn't end up the way we wanted, but the overall trend is still moving in an upward direction.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 04:44:11 PM »

100% agree.
In a normal year finishing second in the Big East is a great accomplishment.  But when you considered this was a down year in the Big East and only SJU and us are in peak mode and all the other squads are in the building phase, not so great.  And while McEwen will hopefully be the ball handler we are missing, the league will be a lot better next year. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 04:46:19 PM »
In a normal year finishing second in the Big East is a great accomplishment.  But when you considered this was a down year in the Big East and only SJU and us are in peak mode and all the other squads are in the building phase, not so great.  And while McEwen will hopefully be the ball handler we are missing, the league will be a lot better next year.

Dont understand this context. Sure it wasnt a "normal" year but why does that only excuse everyone else's performance and diminish ours

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 04:53:51 PM »
Dont understand this context. Sure it wasnt a "normal" year but why does that only excuse everyone else's performance and diminish ours

Because WE’RE the team with upperclassman. WE’VE been in rebuilding mode the last 4 years. WE  No longer get to use excuses. Everyone other team, sans STJ, does.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 04:54:57 PM »
Great season all around.

Hey, someone tell this guy.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 04:56:36 PM »
Because WE’RE the team with upperclassman. WE’VE been in rebuilding mode the last 4 years. WE  No longer get to use excuses. Everyone other team, sans STJ, does.
Yup, that's pretty much what I meant.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 04:57:07 PM »
Everyone has different definition of great season. I am happy to say that mine is vastly different than jesmu.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »
Backing our way into the NCAA is better than making a late surge for an NIT birth. It was a good (not great) season, but I’m pretty pissed at how the regular season ended. I was starting to drink a lot of the kool-aid. Oh well. Still in the tournament and will have a good chance to win the first game.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 04:59:31 PM »

We start 0 seniors.

IMo, this was a good season. Not great. Years like this should be our average season now that Wojo has all his guys.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 05:01:14 PM by MUeagle1090 »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 05:00:49 PM »
We start 0 seniors.

Let’s not start this narrative.  We have plenty of experience. 

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 05:00:56 PM »
Taking 2nd in the Big East is nothing to brag about this year, if we're being honest.  Especially when, IMO, we probably have the best roster in the league from a collective talent/experience standpoint.  Not too mention the fact that all we needed to do was win 1 out of the last 4 to get a share of the conference title.

Not sure what being ranked in the top 10 at one point in the middle of the season has to do with anything?  Who gives a crap.  It wouldn't matter even if they got to number 1 if you're not going to hang any banners or win any hardware.

The fact that they're playing their worst at the end of the season is a huge concern.  However, let's see how the postseason plays out.  They would not be the first team in college basketball history to go on a run in the tourney after limping to the finish in the regular season.  If they fail to right the ship and don't win at all in the postseason, it will be a disappointing year in my eyes.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 05:01:53 PM »
No, not "hell of a regular season" but "regular season of hell"
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 05:02:21 PM »
Great season all around.

Don't forget the best Marquette team (by a lot) to close out the regular season with 4 consecutive losses. Of course there aren't many who have accomplished that, but still...were #1 among them! Hooray!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 05:02:26 PM »
Let’s not start this narrative.  We have plenty of experience.

Sure. That's true. So is what I said. None of our best 7 players are seniors. Is that true for other teams in the league?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 05:04:58 PM »
Seasons are defined by NCAA success. You come in as a 2 and lose to a 15 and you’re season looks like a failure. The narrative is yet to be told.
Worst part of the loses is that a lower seed is going to make winning tougher in the games that people will remember most.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 05:05:01 PM »
Sure. That's true. So is what I said. None of our best 7 players are seniors. Is that true for other teams in the league?

None of our players have grey hair either. It’s about as relevant.  Btw 2 of our best seven have player college b-ball as long as a ‘senior’. Plus joe c plays.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 05:06:00 PM »
Just realised I was right on my prediction in my signature I've had for months now. That sucks to be right about
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 05:07:18 PM »
I tend to think the younger you are, the more you are likely to improve.  I've got nothing to back that up but intuition, but that's what I think.  We should be better next year if everyone comes back.  But I think more than a few of the other teams will improve more than we will, that's all.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 05:14:39 PM »
Coaches picked MU second in the pre-season, so the team meet expectations in that sense. But, let's not kid ourselves, this isnt a program swimming in conference titles. To piss one away is very disappointing.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 05:14:50 PM »
Everyone has different definition of great season. I am happy to say that mine is vastly different than jesmu.

Write on. If ya strive for nothin', yur gonna get it every tyme, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"