collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Racial tensions and basketball at "my" school  (Read 979 times)

MU82

• All American
Racial tensions and basketball at "my" school
« on: March 06, 2019, 09:46:55 AM »
Interesting developments the last few days at Charlotte's Ardrey Kell HS, where I just finished my second season as assistant girls basketball coach. (I am not otherwise employed by the school.)

The predominantly-white school is in the south (wealthy) part of the city. It is the second-largest HS in the state. Both the girls and boys basketball programs have been very good for a long time.

On Monday, the top player on the boys team (a white kid) published a racist, profanity-filled Snapchat post (including the n-word) directed at opposing players. He was suspended and not allowed to play in Tuesday night's elite 8 game vs West Charlotte, whose student body is predominantly black.

This sums up the entire situation quite well:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/editorials/article227131789.html#storylink=trendingstories

The kid hasn't been named in news stories because he's not an adult and he hasn't been charged with anything. His parents, obviously mortified, apologized profusely. School administrators, the athletic director and the coach have had to play verbal defense.

(BTW, Ardrey Kell lost, as West Charlotte turned a 2-point game into a rout by outscoring AK 21-7 in the fourth quarter.)

The game already had been the backdrop of a race-related situation because the district moved it from West Charlotte to a neutral site. The district said it was because West Charlotte's gym was too small to accommodate the anticipated crowd, but West Charlotte parents, players and others associated with the school said more insidious reasons might have been at play. (Note: I have been in that gym and it is tiny - holds fewer than 500 people. The game was moved across the city -- nowhere near Ardrey Kell -- to another predominantly black HS, so on this issue I side with the district.)

A couple years ago, Ardrey Kell had been the site of an ugly racial incident at a football game, where slurs were screamed at black athletes from the other school.

I have been proud to be associated with the girls basketball program at this school. We have never had any major tensions between players -- racial or otherwise -- the kids and parents are great, our coach and our other assistant are amazing to work with. I have learned so much. I have worn my AK gear with pride; gotta admit I probably won't wear it this week at least.

I can't condemn the whole school, or the basketball program, for the actions of one or a few. But it's certainly not a wonderful time right now.

And when will these kids learn the power of social media? This kid, a junior, has been a D-1 (probably low- or mid-major) prospect. Not only has he likely soured schools that might have been interested in him, but it's hard to imagine his many black teammates at AK welcoming him back with open arms next year.

As an aside (obviously) ... our girls lost our playoff game Saturday in the sweet 16 round. Rough week for AK basketball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Racial tensions and basketball at "my" school
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:14:12 AM »
IBTL.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 01:38:26 PM »
Sayin' "predominantly white" and "wealthy" is offensive. What's your point, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 01:45:22 PM »
Hey, remember how we had a rule that MU82 couldn't create a non-basketball thread?

Yeah, let's go back to that, mkay?