[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: King Kong is dead  (Read 7420 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: King Kong is dead
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 05:20:30 PM »
I think I can think of one poster who called one other poster a racist recently. I called that person out. I perhaps missed some others but I this isn't something that I have seen people do "freely". I've seen people call individual actions or statements racist.

Calling someone racist is an insult on their behavior, which is a choice and can be changed. Calling someone a racial or ability based epitaph is an insult based on who they are, something which is not a choice and cannot be changed. In my eyes, there is no comparison. Now that doesn't mean people should feel free to label everyone they disagree with a racist, that's not okay either.

I have yet to read or see anyone here acting in a racist manner, but that hasn’t stopped the accusations. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 05:26:59 PM »
Others would disagree with your interpretation of racist behavior.  Hence, the conflict.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 07:17:06 PM »
I have yet to read or see anyone here acting in a racist manner, but that hasn’t stopped the accusations.

Ya know what?  This thread got on this tangent because a member used language that offensive and hurtful to me, and people in my family.  Full stop.   So while YOU (and others refusing to call out Crash/Jon) wanna change the subject and play whatboutism as it relates to others threads.

Say that term Crash used in front of parents who have kids that are autistic or have Down syndrome.  Go ahead.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:20:40 PM by reinko »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 07:23:21 PM »
urban dictionary-'tard-

"Any person who is not developmentally disabled, but rather has what is considered normal cognitive faculties but for whatever reason has opted out of using it."

in other words, has nothing to do with the politically incorrect term except that it is a take off from it.  there are many words that look and or sound like something offensive, but do not refer to the word some are trying to link up to and then whoop up an outrage

maybe he would have been better off being more blunt and just stated those that have less than the cognitive ability of a stink bug err sumpin

...and IBTL ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 07:29:44 PM »
urban dictionary-'tard-

"Any person who is not developmentally disabled, but rather has what is considered normal cognitive faculties but for whatever reason has opted out of using it."

in other words, has nothing to do with the politically incorrect term except that it is a take off from it.  there are many words that look and or sound like something offensive, but do not refer to the word some are trying to link up to and then whoop up an outrage

maybe he would have been better off being more blunt and just stated those that have less than the cognitive ability of a stink bug err sumpin

...and IBTL ;D
So, we are using urban dictionary as the arbiter of offensive terms? Ironic?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2019, 07:33:19 PM »
urban dictionary-'tard-

...and IBTL ;D

Ha ha ha ha, emoji IBTL, ha ha, ha , it’s not what he meant. LOL.  Don’t be such a wuss, “urban dictionary” definition.

Honestly, words are powerful.   I’m not calling Crash a bigot, a racist, or someone who hates people with special needs.  I called him out for using language that is derogatory and offensive TO ME, if you don’t find offensive, that’s fine. 

It’s not that hard to just say, yeah, Crash/Jon, cut that ish out.   But no, his peanut gallery has to try to justify or explain it away. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2019, 08:22:29 PM »
Ha ha ha ha, emoji IBTL, ha ha, ha , it’s not what he meant. LOL.  Don’t be such a wuss, “urban dictionary” definition.

Honestly, words are powerful.   I’m not calling Crash a bigot, a racist, or someone who hates people with special needs.  I called him out for using language that is derogatory and offensive TO ME, if you don’t find offensive, that’s fine. 

It’s not that hard to just say, yeah, Crash/Jon, cut that ish out.   But no, his peanut gallery has to try to justify or explain it away.

I am 100% on your side here, Reinko. If anything, you are being too kind to those who don't deserve it.

However, I think Crash was using it as a short form of Libtard - which apparently some right-wingers consider funny for whatever reason. It is just as offensive as it is still a derivative and people should be called out and put in their place for using it.

I would doubt if there is a single poster who doesn't at least have someone in their family who suffers from some sort of mental illness. Put simply, it is  both inconsiderate and ignorant to throw the word around as Crash did.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2019, 10:59:20 PM »
urban dictionary-'tard-

Wow, talk about blind support.  You chose the 3rd definition on urban dictionary to try to prove he wasn't insulting anybody.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tard

Dude. You're not a bad guy.  I don't think Crash is either, but good friends appreciate friends that call them out on their bad behavior.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2019, 11:42:15 PM »
Wow, talk about blind support.  You chose the 3rd definition on urban dictionary to try to prove he wasn't insulting anybody.

Don't think keefe meant any harm. he just saw that word somewhere and decided to use it without crediting the source. he's done that before.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 01:05:29 AM »
I honestly did not even notice it the first time I read it. I was focusing on the thoughts being sent to Jaime and his family. Truthfully, I do not think Crash had any malice in his thoughts.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 01:22:47 AM »
That passes for clever banter in their circles.

Get rid of the Pearl Harbor reference you bigot.

You are one of those guys who has selective outrage.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 01:28:09 AM »
Read Crash’s post again, and his using of a slur towards people who have special needs.

It has nothing to do with people who have special needs.

My gram is from Scotland. Having lived twice in UK I am close with that side of the family. It is a term used frequently in Scotland and has nothing to do with 'special needs.' 

Expand your world view beyond the American middle west. There is a beautiful world out there that isn't wrapped up in the parochialism of contemporary America.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »
I'll just leave this here:

https://glosbe.com/en/gd/tard

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2019, 11:57:46 AM »
Get rid of the Pearl Harbor reference you bigot.

You are one of those guys who has selective outrage.

You know very well what “I remember Pearl Harbor” means. One more statement by our “leader” to disparage one of our allies - you know, those countries that are on OUR side as opposed to those countriesyhe supports.

Hopefully this won’t get this thread locked as it is merely a reply to your comment.

No idea what your bigot remark means.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2019, 12:00:41 PM »

My gram is from Scotland. Having lived twice in UK I am close with that side of the family. It is a term used frequently in Scotland and has nothing to do with 'special needs.' 

Expand your world view beyond the American middle west. There is a beautiful world out there that isn't wrapped up in the parochialism of contemporary America.
Why can't I get this picture out of my head when thinking of Keefe in Scotland?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRFlNryaWw

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2019, 12:50:11 PM »

Jon isn't wrong. There are words used in the UK or Australia that have significantly different meanings here in the United States, both countries speak English.

Jock
Fanny
Ride
Entree
Cigarette in the US is a different word in the UK which is a pejorative here

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2019, 03:00:33 PM »
Jon isn't wrong. There are words used in the UK or Australia that have significantly different meanings here in the United States, both countries speak English.

Jock
Fanny
Ride
Entree
Cigarette in the US is a different word in the UK which is a pejorative here
I can feel those goalposts shifting.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2019, 05:11:14 PM »
I'll just leave this here:

https://glosbe.com/en/gd/tard

To be fair, Glosbe is located in the Middle West of Scotland, and is sort of  "wrapped up in the parochialism of" that area.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2019, 06:42:23 PM »
Don't think keefe meant any harm. he just saw that word somewhere and decided to use it without crediting the source. he's done that before.

There he is, The Mutant. You're the guy who likes to brag about billing $500 an hour chasing ambulances.

That got me to thinking. You would have to bill more than 2,500 hours to match what I make on just one power plant we are developing in China. And that's just the tech licensing fee. And that's just one plant. Of more than 40.

Keep chasin' them ambulances, Mutant. See you in a couple hundred years you jacka$$!

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2019, 06:45:56 PM »
You know very well what “I remember Pearl Harbor” means. One more statement by our “leader” to disparage one of our allies - you know, those countries that are on OUR side as opposed to those countriesyhe supports.

Hopefully this won’t get this thread locked as it is merely a reply to your comment.

No idea what your bigot remark means.

No, I don't know what you mean by it.

I find it deeply offensive, you bigot. Remove it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2019, 06:53:01 PM »
Crash
That is a lot of zeroes. Love it!!

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2019, 07:00:58 PM »
Crash
That is a lot of zeroes. Love it!!

Hainan, Hunan, Guangdong. 8 plants.

How're those nasty Chinese Uber drivers?

BTW, I reached out to Dave for a beer in Bellevue or Seattle.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2019, 07:04:29 PM »
Made it home, but the Uber driver was the worst. Almost my train for last meeting of trip.
When are you heading over to China?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2019, 07:17:43 PM »

Dude. You're not a bad guy.  I don't think Crash is either, but good friends appreciate friends that call them out on their bad behavior.

why thank for the endorsement rock, but there are many words defined via multiple meanings, some of which could be interpreted as or actually are offensive.  i am certainly not going to choose one of the versions or interpretations that isn't going to support my argument.  even if you look up the full word of the one some are offended by, there are secondary and tertiary meanings.  i sure in the gosh dang heck wouldn't choose the first version cuz we know, and rightly so, holy H-E-double hockey sticks would bust out.   

that being said, i agree with you that "good friends" don't let their friends drive drunk approach, but my whole point was that i realized there were more meanings to the word jon used and he didn't mean to convey the "offensive" one.  i know this because...i consider jon a good friend ;) 

just tryin to level the playin field, that's all
don't...don't don't don't don't

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2019, 07:22:16 PM »

hey keefe: just spoke to your gram. i asked her if you are as big an pretty boy as you appear to be. Her response:: "bigger".