[June 08, 2024, 07:42:23 PM]

Incoming freshmen by MuMark
[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo Press Conference  (Read 7667 times)

vogue65

• All American
Re: Wojo Press Conference
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 06:45:26 AM »
Very unfortunate the Seton Hall turn around is so short. 
Dealing with the doubleteam might take a while to correct.
And Freshmen will play like freshmen, there, I said it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 06:48:02 AM »
The one that played against UAB? Or today?  I can think of worse prepared teams in the last 15 years, so maybe your memory is going.  Sometimes people substitute prepared for simply not shooting well, etc.  It always amazes me, too, how people harp on the losses and forget the incredible wins, often times when we are given absolutely no chance based on talent alone....but you know, that's cuz of the players you see.

UAB. 30 turnovers. Nothing to do with " not shooting well". Our efg% that day was outstanding. Two of the best guards in MU history and we couldn't figure out how to get the ball over mid court. Least prepared Marquette team I've ever seen in 53 years. No doubt. And despite your insult, my memory is fine. Evidently better than yours.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2019, 06:55:41 AM »
UAB. 30 turnovers. Nothing to do with " not shooting well". Our efg% that day was outstanding. Two of the best guards in MU history and we couldn't figure out how to get the ball over mid court. Least prepared Marquette team I've ever seen in 53 years. No doubt. And despite your insult, my memory is fine. Evidently better than yours.

We are contemporaries, let's face it, 1966 was a long time ago, memories do fade and become foggy.  Can you really remember what Michigan, Wiscon, Wells and State looked like 50 years ago? 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2019, 07:43:29 AM »
We are contemporaries, let's face it, 1966 was a long time ago, memories do fade and become foggy.  Can you really remember what Michigan, Wiscon, Wells and State looked like 50 years ago?

12th and Wells 1966.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 07:51:25 AM »
12th and Wells 1966.

I'm shocked that's in color.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2019, 08:08:26 AM »
Yesterday's game was awful. But Dean Smith had a rule that really should apply here:

1) Acknowledge -- Acknowledge you made a mistake, or had a very bad game.

2) Apologize -- If you made a mistake, as we did yesterday, apologize for it.

3) Fix it -- Make the adjustments necessary to correct the problem

4) Move On -- Don't dwell on it. What was, was.

Seems like we need to be focusing on 3 and 4 NOW.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 08:19:45 AM »
The in-game coaching still seems somewhat lacking. "Clear your minds about what's happened, we have a 7:32 game" didn't work worth a damn. How about some kind of adjustment, such as having someone who could see over them doing some ball-handling? They can clear their minds, but don't you think they are going to get a big, fat reminder of that kind of defense on Wednesday, and Sunday, and in NY? I think Wojo is a hard worker, and while no answer came to him during the game, here's hoping he and the staff can turn it around in practice.

Didn't work worth a damn? During that timeout we were down 2. We scored immediately out of the timeout on a set play and 90 seconds later we were up 4. I'd say the timeout did work. The issue was then 6 consecutive turnovers and we only had 1 timeout left IIRC.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 10:09:56 AM »

You bet. And I remember every lyric ever written by Bob Dylan, Tom Waits or Lennon/McCartney. It's what I had for breakfast 3 hours ago that has me scratching my head!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 10:24:35 AM »
Didn't work worth a damn? During that timeout we were down 2. We scored immediately out of the timeout on a set play and 90 seconds later we were up 4. I'd say the timeout did work. The issue was then 6 consecutive turnovers and we only had 1 timeout left IIRC.

I can tell you're relatively young, TAMU. You seem to have not yet learned that facts will only get you so far.

I have said that I don't think Wojo had his best game, mostly because if something isn't working (in yesterday's case, the lineup combos) it's worth trying something else. But I think Wojo actually has done a superb job allocating playing time this season, more often than not putting the players (and therefore the team) in positions to succeed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 10:58:29 AM »
So I am going to the be the glass-half-full person and say --

Thanks for all the great Scoop Takes material. I have enjoyed reading it.

https://twitter.com/ScoopTakes
Have some patience, FFS.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 11:11:39 AM »
Wow...people are being way too hard on the media here! Other than the 21 straight points question, those questions were fine! And even that one was clearly asked to fill some kind of game notes section.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 11:17:15 AM »
Had to look it up, but Marquette vs UAB March 13th, 2003....MU had 30 turnovers...30.

I know I watched that game, but think I must have purged it from my memory. Dwyane Wade had 10 turnovers all by himself. Every team has bad games. What sets the great teams apart is what they do after: learn from it, put it behind you and get back to work.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 11:18:08 AM »

My not shooting well was in reference to the Kansas game, in which through the first 7 minutes we were tied (down 1), but shot like 29% or something ridiculous for the game.

And yet we could find a way to get it across the court against Louisville, SEC champ Kentucky, Big East champ Pittsburgh, ACC champ Wake Forest, I guess the coaches decided not to coach that day or forgot how. LOL.  Or maybe, sometimes players lay an egg.  Just maybe.  It was our second loss in 17 games.

Coaches can't do it for kids on the court.  The players have to ultimately execute it.  Coaches put kids into positions, and practice at length scenarios.  Sometimes, 18 to 22 year old kids screw it up.  Hell, NBA pros screw it up sometimes.  Future NBA Hall of Famer Dwyane Wade had 10 turnovers in that game.  Diener had 5. Wade was also 3 of 12.  I would say the worst game of his MU career.  They had played UAB just 10 days earlier and won by double digits. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 11:25:10 AM »
Wow...people are being way too hard on the media here! Other than the 21 straight points question, those questions were fine! And even that one was clearly asked to fill some kind of game notes section.

And that was a student journalist.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 11:28:48 AM »
My take on the presser is that Wojo fulfilled his obligation. The last thing in the world a coach wants to do after a game like that is take questions about what went wrong. But Wojo answered every question, he didn't take out his frustrations on the media, he accepted responsibility for the loss and he gave full credit to his opponent.

What more do you expect? Any words here are far less important than what happens between now and Wednesday. Creighton is a lost opportunity. Move on. Shake it off. Figure out what's not working. Bear down. Seton Hall is now the most important game of the season.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 12:05:32 PM »
Coaches can't do it for kids on the court.  The players have to ultimately execute it.  Coaches put kids into positions, and practice at length scenarios.  Sometimes, 18 to 22 year old kids screw it up.  Hell, NBA pros screw it up sometimes.  Future NBA Hall of Famer Dwyane Wade had 10 turnovers in that game.  Diener had 5. Wade was also 3 of 12.  I would say the worst game of his MU career.  They had played UAB just 10 days earlier and won by double digits.

Agree with all of this, chicos.

Some folks don't want to accept that shyte sometimes happens. Some probably actually believe it was Crean's fault that the greatest player in Marquette history committed 10 TOs that day. If only Crean had played Jamal Cain instead of Dwyane Wade!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2019, 12:18:43 PM »
I remember in 2003 we had a game where we had massive turnovers, laid an egg, it was in March...bad game.  Four games later we beat #1 Kentucky and went to the Final Four. 

No one knows what is going to happen.  Kentucky yesterday looked god awful.  Houston last night on their home court, lost.  Michigan State lost to Indiana.  This is college basketball.  Is Izzo suddenly a bad coach, Sampson, Cal, etc?  Come on.  We played terribly.

20-win Yale lost to 8-win Columbia.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2019, 12:20:23 PM »
Agreed. I don’t get the criticism either
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2019, 12:26:30 PM »
IMO, the most telling comment was the one right before he got up.    'self inflicted wounds'.    He is taking ownership after a loss.   But he is not blind to the fact that there were some weak, passive, dumb decisions and performances with the ball. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2019, 01:45:19 PM »
Worst prepared team I've seen in 53 years of watching Marquette basketball. Much, much worse than the loss to KU in the FF.
I think the players were still down form losing to Nova. Win or lose you need to move onto the next game.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2019, 01:57:22 PM »
Agree with all of this, chicos.

Some folks don't want to accept that shyte sometimes happens. Some probably actually believe it was Crean's fault that the greatest player in Marquette history committed 10 TOs that day. If only Crean had played Jamal Cain instead of Dwyane Wade!

Spoken like a coach!! 

;)
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2019, 09:18:44 PM »
I think the players were still down form losing to Nova. Win or lose you need to move onto the next game.

Marquette didn't play Villanova in 2003.

feedback