[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bobby Knight in declining health.  (Read 5678 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:02:45 PM by muwarrior69 »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Bobby Knight in declining health.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 01:41:00 PM »
A lot of memories with him as a grad student at IU in the mid 1990's.  I saw him on TV in October doing a rally in Indiana, and he had definitely slowed down, but didn't seem too bad.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 02:24:18 PM »
Well, if death is inevitable, he should relax and enjoy it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 03:04:28 PM »

I see what you did there.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 03:32:32 PM »
Could have told you he wasn't well back in 2016.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 03:35:00 PM »

Made me chuckle.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 04:57:01 PM »
Prayers out to Bobby.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 08:27:09 PM »
Aren’t we all in declining health?  Otherwise, wouldn’t we live forever?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 08:52:01 PM »
Aren’t we all in declining health?  Otherwise, wouldn’t we live forever?

No.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 10:03:10 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 10:46:50 PM »
Next day is the most important.

Not guaranteed a next day.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 11:07:15 PM »
Not guaranteed a next day.

Nothing is after three large roast beefs.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 11:14:16 PM »
Nothing is after three large roast beefs.

Sounds like a Crapshoot?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 12:16:33 AM »
Lunch today:

Hit the 2-5 pm menu deals at Arby's

2 jalapeno roast beef sliders
1 small curly fries
1 snack size choc shake

Great meal. (Extra Arby's and Horsey (nh) sauce)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 05:14:02 AM »
Y'all are dey ta dey, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 06:05:37 AM »
Neil Reed's throat was in declining health in 1997. He received death threats for years and died at age 36 of a heart attack.

Bobby Knight's legacy.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 12:16:56 PM »
Neil Reed's throat was in declining health in 1997. He received death threats for years and died at age 36 of a heart attack.

Bobby Knight's legacy.

He had a known heart condition going back to high school.  But don’t let that fact get in the way of throwing in your gratuitous shot at Knight. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2019, 12:26:24 PM »
He had a known heart condition going back to high school.  But don’t let that fact get in the way of throwing in your gratuitous shot at Knight.

I didn't word mine properly. Wasn't accusing Knight of killing the kid ... just throttling him around the throat and then lying about it.

Then, when proof came out that he indeed committed assault and that he had been lying about it, he went after the assistant coach for being a "rat."

Truly a class human being.

Bobby Knight's legacy.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 12:34:55 PM »
I didn't word mine properly. Wasn't accusing Knight of killing the kid ... just throttling him around the throat and then lying about it.

Then, when proof came out that he indeed committed assault and that he had been lying about it, he went after the assistant coach for being a "rat."

Truly a class human being.

Bobby Knight's legacy.

Fair enough.

No question his behavior and methods were often highly questionable and at times shameful. 

A brilliant basketball mind. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 01:07:32 PM »
Fair enough.

No question his behavior and methods were often highly questionable and at times shameful. 

A brilliant basketball mind.

He did have a great basketball mind. Even coaching friends of mine who hate his guts admit that he had more coaching knowledge than maybe anybody ever. Certainly a top-5 guy.

So it's a shame that he felt he had to physically and psychologically abuse young people, and felt he had to intimidate and bully pretty much everybody.

Jay Wright is a great coach. And I'm sure he occasionally gets frustrated and yells at a player or barks at support staff. But he somehow wins without being a bellicose bully 24/7. So do most good coaches. And although one could argue it's partly a generational thing, neither Wooden nor K nor many other great coaches over the years acted the way Knight did. Indeed, Wooden, while respecting Knight's coaching ability, was repulsed by his deeds and words.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 02:52:10 PM »
A season on the brink
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 04:20:58 PM »
Bob Knight was old school. Pure and simple.

Whatever you think of his methods, his personal matters etc., he was a winner. A brilliant basketball mind and the kids who stuck it out with him respected him.

He got into trouble for throwing a chair and starting to choke a kid. Gee, we know a revered basketball coach who decked one of his guards in practice and had a fist-fight with an all-American forward. Same coach went off on the NCAA (with good reason) and ended up with two technicals in a NatChamp game. Not even Knight did that, not matter how bad he thought he was being screwed.

Perhaps the difference between Bob Knight and our revered basketball coach is twofold. First, Knight was harsh and militaristic both in public and private. You got full frontal everytime and every place. Our revered basketball coach was a bit of a free spirit.

Secondly, our revered basketball coach knew the PR aspect of his game. He was in control in public and he rarely, to my knowledge, ever said anything  that could be used to hang him. He knew how to play the image game and he did to the hilt. Knight was an "I am who I am" kinda guy.

My point is that Knight's methods and measures are being judged by today's standards and expectations. I know his comment about women and rape was deplorable -- and I'll betcha he wishes even today he never said it. The times were different and he was different and sometimes he was stupid.

As a side note, I kinda didn't like the guy after a 1973 NCAA game at Nashville where we lost to Indiana. The 1976 Mideast regional final was another moment when I wished I'd never see Bob Knight again. But several years later, in 1982,  I was pulled over by an Indiana State Police officer late at night near Vincennes because I was going 80 in a 50 zone. He remarked that I was a "big one" and asked if I ever played basketball. When I said no, I noted that I "admired and respected Bob Knight" for what he had done with that year's Hoosier team, the guy put away his ticket book and wrote me a warning.

Ever since that day, I kinda thought Bob Knight wasn't so bad after all!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 04:31:21 PM »
I always had mixed emotions about Bobby Knight.    I admired his teams, his motion offense, his man-to-man help principles.   There were moments of true genius.  But I stopped liking him as a person after the chair throw and the Neil Reed incident.   It seemed as he got later in his career, it became more difficult to appreciate the coaching genius because the negatives of his personality became the story. 

Now, it is being reported that that great mind is disappearing.    I find myself contemplating the death thread here.    It is an end that faces us all.    And a question that faces us all.    Will we be remembered for the best of ourselves or the worst of ourselves?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2019, 05:32:10 PM »
Here is a video of  Bobby Knight in November 2018. Seemed pretty vigorous for his age. Although I guess he could have had a decline as is being represented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvnmUZXeIK4
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2019, 07:16:47 PM »
Here is a video of  Bobby Knight in November 2018. Seemed pretty vigorous for his age. Although I guess he could have had a decline as is being represented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvnmUZXeIK4

Think this just proves his psychological decline was well underway

feedback