[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: TV Advice  (Read 2957 times)

MUMountin

• All American
TV Advice
« on: February 25, 2019, 04:52:15 PM »
My family is looking to buy a new TV, and I figured there would be some here with much better knowledge than I about what I should be looking at.

Some background info:

We primarily stream (sports, Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc.) via an AppleTV along with a very basic cable package with HD coverage.  Sports, movies, and a lot of kids shows (2 and 4). 

Our couch currently sits about 13 feet from the TV, but I'll sometimes be on the floor closer playing with the kids while watching.

So, a few questions:

1. What size do people recommend for that size space?  55'?  65'?

2. What brands to focus on?  Are there considerable differences?

3. OLED sounds like the top option--is it necessary/worth the price?  Is there a big drop-off to other types?

4. How much should I plan on spending? 

5. Where should I buy from?

Any advice would be great!  I'm hoping to have it in place before the Big East tournament.

jesmu84

• All American
Re: TV Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 05:54:05 PM »
I have 2 Samsungs and love them (45 and 65)

But this will likely be my next tv: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018-r617

Unless you're a serious cineophile or super critical of video display, for the price, that one can't be beat.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 06:59:15 PM »
Does 4K HDR matter to you Mountain?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 07:21:18 PM »
You should buy a used plasma. 

But I have been looking at the OLEDs out there. Sony and LG.  Anyone have any experience and feel that they are worth the $$$.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 08:05:41 PM »
Get a TCL Roku TV.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 08:34:29 PM »
Go to a store (shocking, I know), stare at the wall of TVs all playing the same thing.  Decide which picture looks best for your price point.

But agree, if you're going to stream, a Roku TV offers a lot.  Though if you already a a streaming box you like, then "smart" is not a requirement.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 08:38:33 PM »

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 08:41:26 PM »
Does 4K HDR matter to you Mountain?

To be honest, I don’t really know, ha.  I’m currently on a garage sale flat screen that is probably about 10 years old, so clearly anything new will be a major upgrade. 

I’m usually of the mind when I spend significant money on something to pay for good value and am ok paying out more if it is worth it.  What I don’t really know is what that translates to in a TV.  I don’t have a great frame of reference for the difference between 4K and 1080 in terms of the actual picture to know if it is worth it, and so would love anyone’s honest opinion about whether to shell out for that or not.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 08:45:50 PM »
Go to a store (shocking, I know), stare at the wall of TVs all playing the same thing.  Decide which picture looks best for your price point.

But agree, if you're going to stream, a Roku TV offers a lot.  Though if you already a a streaming box you like, then "smart" is not a requirement.

Yeah, probably just need to do this.  Is Best Buy still the best option for that, or are you just as well at a Target or something similar?

And, since we have the AppleTV, is a smart TV just extra $$$ that we don’t really need?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 08:57:06 PM »
I bought a TCL Roku TV for my in-laws.  While it has worked out, I'm concerned that in X years, Roku won't support it and the updates will stop.    My in-laws are elderly and tech averse, so I knew buying a separate Roku was asking for trouble.

So .. I think I'd buy a non-Roku TV and then add an external Roku if desired.  They are cheap and replaceable, and every 1-2 years, they come out with new models.

On the topic of 1080p/4k .. I bought a 43" 4k TV this past summer.  I think I've watched 4k video three times.    It's not like you're going to watch MU games in 4k. 

Extra note .. I bought an Amazon Fire TV Cube.  It's the best streaming device I have .. what I like is the ability to say "Alexa, turn on Fox Sports 1" and that happens.  I don't need to find my remotes and fiddle around.  It certainly makes some TV actions way quicker .. for $80 it's a good deal.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 09:27:05 PM »
I bought a TCL Roku TV for my in-laws.  While it has worked out, I'm concerned that in X years, Roku won't support it and the updates will stop.    My in-laws are elderly and tech averse, so I knew buying a separate Roku was asking for trouble.

So .. I think I'd buy a non-Roku TV and then add an external Roku if desired.  They are cheap and replaceable, and every 1-2 years, they come out with new models.

On the topic of 1080p/4k .. I bought a 43" 4k TV this past summer.  I think I've watched 4k video three times.    It's not like you're going to watch MU games in 4k. 

Extra note .. I bought an Amazon Fire TV Cube.  It's the best streaming device I have .. what I like is the ability to say "Alexa, turn on Fox Sports 1" and that happens.  I don't need to find my remotes and fiddle around.  It certainly makes some TV actions way quicker .. for $80 it's a good deal.

Well, this reveals my ignorance in this area, because I didn’t realize that the content in 4K is limited.  What sorts of things are offered in 4K/how do you access it?  My AppleTV is 2 years old—would that be able to stream 4K?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 12:05:28 AM »
To be honest, I don’t really know, ha.  I’m currently on a garage sale flat screen that is probably about 10 years old, so clearly anything new will be a major upgrade. 

I’m usually of the mind when I spend significant money on something to pay for good value and am ok paying out more if it is worth it.  What I don’t really know is what that translates to in a TV.  I don’t have a great frame of reference for the difference between 4K and 1080 in terms of the actual picture to know if it is worth it, and so would love anyone’s honest opinion about whether to shell out for that or not.

Depends who your provider is.  We broadcast a decent amount in 4K HDR and adding more.  Most OTT providers don’t, or they provide 4K resolution but that doesn’t mean you are receiving the throughput in 4K based on your internet speed, etc. 

It’s not necessary, but not irrelevant either if in the future you want that capability.  I watched most of the World Cup matches in 4K HDR, it was great.  Olympics as well.  Occasionally we will rent a movie in 4K.  Source matters.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 05:46:12 AM »
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 07:34:25 AM »
Well, this reveals my ignorance in this area, because I didn’t realize that the content in 4K is limited.  What sorts of things are offered in 4K/how do you access it?  My AppleTV is 2 years old—would that be able to stream 4K?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/where-and-how-to-watch-4k-uhd-content/

This article is a good place to review your 4k options.   The most mainstream options for watching 4k is Netflix, Youtube and Amazon Prime Video.  There are others mentioned in that article.

As I said before .. I have Amazon and Youtube (of course) .. and I've almost never watched anything in 4k.

It's also important to know about your internet connection, which likely can handle it, but it's important to know if you have a data cap which would likely make you think twice about streaming everything in 4k.

At the moment, there are no signals over-the-air (OTA) in 4k except in a few test areas, so picking that up via an antenna is years away.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 08:02:23 AM »
Thanks all.  Based on everyone’s recommendations and my own research, it seems like it is tough to beat the TCL Rolu TV several have mentioned for the value, so I’m starting to lean that direction.

But, while I have you here...what about sound bars?   :)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 08:12:02 AM »
Thanks all.  Based on everyone’s recommendations and my own research, it seems like it is tough to beat the TCL Rolu TV several have mentioned for the value, so I’m starting to lean that direction.

But, while I have you here...what about sound bars?   :)

Generally, sound bars aren't your highest quality option when it comes to external sound (ie, not using your TV's internal speaker). Best with a high quality receiver and speaker combination.

Having said that, I wasn't ready to drop the necessary money to have that kind of a set-up. And if you don't need surround sound, a sound bar is a solid option.

After a lot of research, I ended up here:

Yamaha YAS-207BL Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer Bluetooth & DTS Virtual Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J7PTFB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kIuDCbZPJ3H5K

Very happy with my purchase. I've got it setup to play from the TV, my phone's Bluetooth and my Google home.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 08:31:31 AM »
Yeah, probably just need to do this.  Is Best Buy still the best option for that, or are you just as well at a Target or something similar?

And, since we have the AppleTV, is a smart TV just extra $$$ that we don’t really need?

Best Buy, Target, WalMart, Costco, Sam’s.... take 60-90 minutes and try them all (since they’re usually pretty close to one another).

No need for Smart TV.  It’s a complete waste with Gen 4 ATV. 

If you have Prime, many current model TV’s are same or next day delivery (depending on location) with free returns.  Extremely convenient alternative to strapping a new TV to the roof of a Prius or Gremlin.

FYI - Best Buy and Target will price match Amazon and other major online electronics retailers.  Don’t be afraid to ask if you find what you like in-store. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 08:32:55 AM »

Nah man, Costco, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 08:48:01 AM »
Last year I was able to pick up this 55" LG OLED for $1300 on an unadvertised sale at Frye's that some guys on SlickDeals found.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED55E7P-oled-4k-tv

At the time it was retailing for $2400. I got the TV for our basement family room which is the main sports watching TV. It's nice as it has a built in Atmos Soundbar so I didn't have buy another Sonos one like I have our upstairs TV. I wasn't necessarily looking for a TV with one built in, but it's what was on sale.

It's by far the best TV I have watched anything on. I have a HD Antenna & FireTV 2 as my main sources. I stream DirecTV Now plus your standard services (Netflix, Prime, HBO). The OTA HD signals are top notch on it. Sound is really nice for a built in system. Now it's not as good as my old Definitive Technology Surround system I had before getting married but my wife hates surround sound so it is what it is.

My philosophy when buying TV's has always been to buy around the Super Bowl just after CES. Essentially you can get the current model which is about to become the old model at a really great price. Also, I buy better TV's as I would rather make the purchase once every decade than upgrading every 4 years.

I would keep your eyes peeled on SlickDeals & their forums. You can even sign up for an email that will update you daily.

Good luck.
But I like to throw handfuls...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 11:50:46 AM »
I’m usually of the mind when I spend significant money on something to pay for good value and am ok paying out more if it is worth it.  What I don’t really know is what that translates to in a TV.

I'm not sure it does.  You'll can get better picture quality by spending more, but I don't think that translates to longevity.

But, the technology is fairly solid now, not like you'll get exploding capacitors like my first expensive LED TV!  (Or at least, it'll be a one-off situation, not a widespread manufacturing problem).