[Today at 01:55:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by brewcity77
[Today at 01:49:42 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette-Villanova tie breaker  (Read 3160 times)

NHMUFAN

• Walk-On
Marquette-Villanova tie breaker
« on: February 22, 2019, 12:14:01 AM »
Assuming Nova beats Marquette and they both finish with 3 league losers(or 4 or whatever), does anyone know the tie breaker ?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Marquette-Villanova tie breaker
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 12:33:03 AM »
Assuming Nova beats Marquette and they both finish with 3 league losers(or 4 or whatever), does anyone know the tie breaker ?

Win against highest rated conference team. So if Nova wins out and we win every game but Nova, the one seed would be determined by who finishes higher,  St John's (nova) or Georgetown (mu).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 05:55:48 AM »
But we would still be co-champions.
The tie breaker would be implemented for the sake of the BEast tournament.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 06:08:07 AM »
Win against highest rated conference team. So if Nova wins out and we win every game but Nova, the one seed would be determined by who finishes higher,  St John's (nova) or Georgetown (mu).

Seton Hall could also have a say. They lost at both Marquette & Villanova, but finish the season by hosting both teams.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 06:42:53 AM »
No tiebreaker necessary if MU continues to go 1-0 in their last 5 games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 08:07:31 AM »

Interestingly, they could also go 2-0 in the next two games and then 3-0 in the next three and still avoid the tiebreaker. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 08:20:39 AM »
Interestingly, they could also go 2-0 in the next two games and then 3-0 in the next three and still avoid the tiebreaker.

And in order to do that they'd need to go 1-0 each game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 08:31:33 AM »

Math checks out.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 08:32:06 AM »

Let's not assume that because there's no way MU loses at Nova!

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 11:17:52 AM »

Can we get a little break from this? This adds no value to a very relevant thread. In fact, it adds no value in any thread for fans. Unless you're Wojo incognito, there's no need to trumpet this schtick every other post. Thank you in advance.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 11:19:52 AM »
Can we get a little break from this? This adds no value to a very relevant thread. In fact, it adds no value in any thread for fans. Unless you're Wojo incognito, there's no need to trumpet this schtick every other post. Thank you in advance.

If Marquette wins or loses the conference by a game or more then this entire thread has no value or relevance.

Cross bridges when you come to them, not when you imagine them.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 11:21:45 AM »

Would going 1-0 against PC and 4-0 over the remainder perhaps be more value-add?  Or at least a reasonable compromise?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 11:26:34 AM »
If Marquette wins or loses the conference by a game or more then this entire thread has no value or relevance.

Cross bridges when you come to them, not when you imagine them.

Look, that may be how you prefer to view the season. And since that's the case, just ignore these threads. That way, those of us that are excited about a possible conference championship can enjoy the ride, and you can continue to do your thing where you act like the schedule isn't published in advance.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 11:43:58 AM »
Look, that may be how you prefer to view the season. And since that's the case, just ignore these threads. That way, those of us that are excited about a possible conference championship can enjoy the ride, and you can continue to do your thing where you act like the schedule isn't published in advance.

The ignore function is your friend. I've had it on wades since he began this shtick last year. Very confident that I'm not missing out on any additional insight from him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 12:13:24 PM »
The ignore function is your friend. I've had it on wades since he began this shtick last year. Very confident that I'm not missing out on any additional insight from him.

Oh no!

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 12:22:39 PM »

I thought it was funny and added value to the thread,  Thanks Wades

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 12:46:11 PM »
Silly question I think (although it’s been said that there are no stupid questions), but does finishing with the same record equal a split of the conference title no matter what?

Meaning, if MU wins at Nova and they still finish with same conference record having swept them in the head to head does nova still split the reg season conf title or is MU BE Champ via head-to-head sweep?

I do realize this would take winning the next game wades, and then the one after that at Villanova and then losing 2 of the last three while Nova doesn’t lose again, or a mixture of the like with a win at nova. Hope this doesn’t make your mind go haywire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 01:12:11 PM »

Get this guy some Arby's, stat.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 01:15:43 PM »
Silly question I think (although it’s been said that there are no stupid questions), but does finishing with the same record equal a split of the conference title no matter what?

Meaning, if MU wins at Nova and they still finish with same conference record having swept them in the head to head does nova still split the reg season conf title or is MU BE Champ via head-to-head sweep?

I do realize this would take winning the next game wades, and then the one after that at Villanova and then losing 2 of the last three while Nova doesn’t lose again, or a mixture of the like with a win at nova. Hope this doesn’t make your mind go haywire

Split BE title.  MU the 1 seed in the BET.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 03:17:43 PM »

If this happened (Nova wins all, we only lose at Nova) but StJ & GT we’re tied in the standings, MU would be #1 seed by virtue of a better conference road record.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »
If this happened (Nova wins all, we only lose at Nova) but StJ & GT we’re tied in the standings, MU would be #1 seed by virtue of a better conference road record.

Huh, my mistake. I did not realize conference road record was one of the tie breakers.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 10:35:27 PM »
Get this guy some Arby's, stat.

IV, Dr. Topper?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 10:50:46 PM »

I think it's a great schtick. And you know who else does? Shaka, aka The Greatest Coach Ever!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback