[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NBA Submits Proposal to Lower Draft Age from 19 to 18  (Read 6566 times)

ZMovieman

• Walk-On
NBA Submits Proposal to Lower Draft Age from 19 to 18
« on: February 21, 2019, 04:22:46 PM »
What we all knew was inevitable seems to be ramping back up to reality again.

It marks the first legal step the league has taken to lower the draft age, even though there had been talks of doing so for some time. The goal is to have the new rule in effect by the 2022 draft.

The three-year buffer before the rule would go into place, if passed, is to prepare NBA teams for the change in terms of draft picks, rosters and any other ripple effects lowering the draft age will cause.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-submits-proposal-to-lower-draft-age-from-19-to-18-report-says/a3ga5s5yqw101pwyc8s8z66jp

fjm

• All American
Re: NBA Submits Proposal to Lower Draft Age from 19 to 18
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 04:26:52 PM »
Thank the LORD. It’ll end 31.74% of all arguments on scoop.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 05:04:35 PM »
Thank the LORD. It’ll end 31.74% of all arguments on scoop.

No it won't!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 05:07:22 PM »
I would love to know if this was in the works for an announcement months later or today....low and behold I have a pre-scheduled call with NBA in 90 minutes and you can bet I'm asking the question. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 05:14:07 PM »
That first draft will be insane.  Essentially double the lottery talent.  Don't trade your 1st rounders for cap space just yet.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 05:19:14 PM »
That first draft will be insane.  Essentially double the lottery talent.  Don't trade your 1st rounders for cap space just yet.

And a bunch of busts will be drafted, too....going to be epic. 

Another win for Condoleeza Rice's commission that was crapped on.  This is exactly what should be done, let the college kids play college...let those that think they are being exploited, go get your money and watch the NBA pull all their hair out in trying to figure out who is good and who is worth that draft pick.  Going to be great, get out the popcorn.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 06:23:34 PM »

Another win for Condoleeza Rice's commission that was crapped on.  This is exactly what should be done, let the college kids play college...let those that think they are being exploited, go get your money and watch the NBA pull all their hair out in trying to figure out who is good and who is worth that draft pick.  Going to be great, get out the popcorn.

Bingo.

Let the talented players play at the highest level.

Let the role players and late bloomers figure their game out and get rid of the bad arguments.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 06:59:46 PM »
What are the short-term impacts on the college game if this is implemented? Besides Coach Cal having to learn how to coach.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 01:30:29 PM »

Busts are drafted from every level...HS, One and Done, 2 years, 4 years and 5 year players.  But every draft provides 4-5 All Stars and this 2022 draft has the ability to provide 8-10 All Stars.  That's where the value will come in.  Imagine having a draft of

Ayton
Luka
Trae Young
Bagley
Wendall
Knox

PLUS

Zion
Cam
Ja
RJ
etc.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 01:39:57 PM »

This is such patronizing nonsense.
These are 18-year-old (i.e. adult) men making their own decisions about the futures they wish to pursue. They should be allowed to do so and live with the consequences, good or bad, that come with it
Somehow, some of you believe 18 year olds are mature enough to enter the military where they might, you know, get sent off to war to kill people or be killed, but they can't handle a decision (and accept the risk) of when the enter the NBA draft.

Second, what evidence do you have that a kid drafted at 18 is more likely to be a bust than he would after a year of college? Because skimming through the past decade of drafts, there are a whole lot of one- (and even two-) and dones who were terrible NBA players.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 01:47:19 PM »
I wonder how many 5 star guys will just declare based on hype? I think at most there would be 3-5 guys each year who are nba ready right out of high school. Lol imagine quinerly declaring and getting drafted because of a high school mixtape. Guy isn't even ready for big minutes on a struggling nova

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 01:56:36 PM »
FWIW, I also don't think we should be allowing 18 year olds to enlist. I'm not even sure I think 18 year olds should be allowed to vote. I think 18 was an arbitrary number that was picked a long time ago and is probably due for an update to match our current society.

That being said, I'm against the one and done rule. I also think that everyone would benefit if they moved towards a model similar to college hockey.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 02:02:01 PM »
I'd be fine reducing the age - let kids make their choice and live with it.

But just like the NBA essentially locks kids into their teams for 3 years, I would like to see kids who choose college to commit to a full four years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 02:04:44 PM »
I'd be fine reducing the age - let kids make their choice and live with it.

But just like the NBA essentially locks kids into their teams for 3 years, I would like to see kids who choose college to commit to a full four years.

When you chose college, did you commit for 4 years?

If an employer offered you, say, $200K to join their company after your sophomore year, given that you could have always finished your schooling later over time, you would have turned it down?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 02:08:53 PM »
When you chose college, did you commit for 4 years?

If an employer offered you, say, $200K to join their company after your sophomore year, given that you could have always finished your schooling later over time, you would have turned it down?

If I had agreed beforehand to stay, yes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 02:12:26 PM »
If I had agreed beforehand to stay, yes.

Not me! I'd tear up that "contract" in a second, just like every coach who goes from one school to another does.

Nebraska coach Tim Miller just caught a heap of heat for saying this when asked on a podcast about possibly being fired:

"If they fire me, they're still going to pay me. I'm still a millionaire."

It's all about the Benjamins, baby!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 02:17:16 PM »
Not me! I'd tear up that "contract" in a second, just like every coach who goes from one school to another does.

Nebraska coach Tim Miller just caught a heap of heat for saying this when asked on a podcast about possibly being fired:

"If they fire me, they're still going to pay me. I'm still a millionaire."

It's all about the Benjamins, baby!

So if a kid chooses to go to the NBA, you're OK with the league prohibiting him from moving around for 3 years.

If a kid chooses to enlist in the Army, you're OK with the Army holding him to his full 4-year tour of duty.

But if a kid chooses a 4-year free ride to college, he should just be able to tear up his agreement and jump ship whenever he wants?

lol

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »
That being said, I'm against the one and done rule. I also think that everyone would benefit if they moved towards a model similar to college hockey.

Yes! Been saying that for years. It would benefit all three interests (i.e. the league, the players and colleges).

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 02:21:05 PM »
How many MU players returned to get their degee?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »
So if a kid chooses to go to the NBA, you're OK with the league prohibiting him from moving around for 3 years.

If a kid chooses to enlist in the Army, you're OK with the Army holding him to his full 4-year tour of duty.

But if a kid chooses a 4-year free ride to college, he should just be able to tear up his agreement and jump ship whenever he wants?

lol

It’s not a 4-year free ride

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 02:22:28 PM »
How many MU players returned to get their degee?

I know Doc did.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 02:23:09 PM »
It’s not a 4-year free ride

What college expenses do they pay for?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 02:23:52 PM »

In the first case, "the league" isn't preventing him from doing anything.  The collective bargaining agreement between the league and the player's association is.  It's something both parties agreed to.

In the second case, the military is just different and will always be that way.

In the final case, this is likely not enforceable.  I don't believe you can actually prevent people from getting a job.  The only way it would work is if it is part of the collective bargaining agreement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 02:25:02 PM »

In the first case, "the league" isn't preventing him from doing anything.  The collective bargaining agreement between the league and the player's association is.  It's something both parties agreed to.

In the second case, the military is just different and will always be that way.

In the final case, this is likely not enforceable.  I don't believe you can actually prevent people from getting a job.  The only way it would work is if it is part of the collective bargaining agreement.

Then make it part of the collective bargaining agreement.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 02:27:27 PM »
What college expenses do they pay for?

Most athletic scholarships are not four-year full rides. And those that are allow outs for both sides (i.e. the Big 10 four-year scholie allows a student to leave for any "bona fide" reason, while it allows the school to terminate for a host of reasons).