[Today at 08:40:42 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Nike, Hey?  (Read 4811 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Nike, Hey?
« on: February 20, 2019, 10:06:33 PM »
Figurin' Zion's knot gonna sign a shoo contract wit Knight's brand. Wear has LA Gear and New Balance gone, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
Re: Nike, Hey?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 10:17:02 PM »
So, so, so, so listen up 'cause you can't say nothin'
You'll shut me down with a push of your button?
But you, I'm out and I'm gone
I'll tell you now, I keep it on and on
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:53:20 PM »
Shouldn't have been so quick to take that Nike Duke money, hey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 05:36:38 AM »
So, so, so, so listen up 'cause you can't say nothin'
You'll shut me down with a push of your button?
But you, I'm out and I'm gone
I'll tell you now, I keep it on and on

Interesting theory.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 08:13:19 AM »
Wearing those shoes that Marquette wore in the 90's that kept blowing out in the O'Neil era?  Was it LA Gear or something like that?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 08:18:42 AM »
Wearing those shoes that Marquette wore in the 90's that kept blowing out in the O'Neil era?  Was it LA Gear or something like that?

Mentioned elsewhere, but yes, it was LA Gear.    I think MU was a Pony school for a bit while I was there.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 10:23:37 AM »
Interesting theory.

Not necessarily a theory... but first thing that popped into my head.

Consider:

1) Zion - as amazing as he is - wasn't doing anything extraordinary when his shoe disintegrated.  He's not the first 285 pounder who's ever stopped on a dime laterally.

2) Even if he was, weight shouldn't be a deciding factor.  These shoes aren't being designed by JPL engineers or manufactured to Boeing tolerances.... with so much variation in the construction, they must be designed to withstand at least 2x or 3x the weight of an average player; in other words, if the design spec was 284 lbs, you'd have players busting their shoes every game due to the tolerances alone.

3) That being said: if Nike does have a JPL engineer and a Boeing operator on the construction line, you'd better damn well believe that Zion's shoes were under their supervision.  They say there's no such thing as bad publicity... well, I'm not sure that applies to basketball shoes.  Right or wrong, if Zion ends up being done for the season, every D-I player sporting a pair of Nikes is going to lose a bit of confidence in their equipment.

4) How often does this happen?  Personally, I've seen busted laces, busted seams, detached soles at the toe or heel, popped bladders (remember the "Pumps"), but I've never seen a shoe fail like this.  For this to happen to the biggest player in D-I hoops, in the biggest game of the regular season (and possibly the biggest college game he'll play), with the biggest ticket prices, on a stage including the biggest of wigs like Pres. Obama.... that's too much of a coincidence of epic proportions for anyone to dismiss the possibility of nefarious UNC fans (or LA Gear execs).

Now, I won't go this far, but if Miller and Pitino are involved somehow, this is going to make for a great movie someday.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 10:31:50 AM »
The Lebron is a little different than the Paul George that Zion was wearing. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 11:06:38 AM »
PG sneakers are traaaaassssh.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 12:38:58 PM »
Not necessarily a theory... but first thing that popped into my head.

Consider:

1) Zion - as amazing as he is - wasn't doing anything extraordinary when his shoe disintegrated.  He's not the first 285 pounder who's ever stopped on a dime laterally.

2) Even if he was, weight shouldn't be a deciding factor.  These shoes aren't being designed by JPL engineers or manufactured to Boeing tolerances.... with so much variation in the construction, they must be designed to withstand at least 2x or 3x the weight of an average player; in other words, if the design spec was 284 lbs, you'd have players busting their shoes every game due to the tolerances alone.

3) That being said: if Nike does have a JPL engineer and a Boeing operator on the construction line, you'd better damn well believe that Zion's shoes were under their supervision.  They say there's no such thing as bad publicity... well, I'm not sure that applies to basketball shoes.  Right or wrong, if Zion ends up being done for the season, every D-I player sporting a pair of Nikes is going to lose a bit of confidence in their equipment.

4) How often does this happen?  Personally, I've seen busted laces, busted seams, detached soles at the toe or heel, popped bladders (remember the "Pumps"), but I've never seen a shoe fail like this.  For this to happen to the biggest player in D-I hoops, in the biggest game of the regular season (and possibly the biggest college game he'll play), with the biggest ticket prices, on a stage including the biggest of wigs like Pres. Obama.... that's too much of a coincidence of epic proportions for anyone to dismiss the possibility of nefarious UNC fans (or LA Gear execs).

Now, I won't go this far, but if Miller and Pitino are involved somehow, this is going to make for a great movie someday.

Where was Tim donaghy last night?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 12:43:42 PM »
PG sneakers are traaaaassssh.

Have never worn the 2 or 2.5, but his original ones are the best basketball shoes I've ever worn.  Light, low enough, but also enough support.  Very comfortable.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 01:20:42 PM »
Have never worn the 2 or 2.5, but his original ones are the best basketball shoes I've ever worn.  Light, low enough, but also enough support.  Very comfortable.

Yes, that may be well and true.  But could you dunk in them?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 01:23:32 PM »

Yes, that may be well and true.  But could you dunk in them?

I walked into the gym last night and one of the side hoops was set to 8 feet.  I dunked on that, so to answer your question...heck yeah I can!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 01:42:46 PM »
Figurin' Zion's knot gonna sign a shoo contract wit Knight's brand. Wear has LA Gear and New Balance gone, hey?

Make Sneakers Great Again

And yes, he is going to sign a contract with Zion for a gazillion dollars, or if not last night will allow him to get even more from someone else....either way, last night's scare just mean millions more in his bank account.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 02:05:57 PM »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 05:37:16 PM »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »
Mentioned elsewhere, but yes, it was LA Gear.    I think MU was a Pony school for a bit while I was there.

Dukiet - Pony
KO - Nike then LAGear back to Nike

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 08:39:25 PM »

not to worry-LaVar will fill the vacuum-buy one, get one
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 08:20:51 AM »
Charles Barkley is a national treasure
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »
Charles Barkley is a national treasure

What'd he say about Nike or Zion?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »
What'd he say about Nike or Zion?

He had opinions on a lot of things last night.  They had to stop the show a few times people were laughing so hard, especially the camera guys and behind the scenes folks.  Opinions on Zion, college basketball, Chicago, Jussie, etc.  People were in tears. 

"America, do not commit crimes with checks....get cash man"  OMG, funny.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/zion-williamson-injury-duke-charles-barkley/amp

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1098809760407785472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1098809760407785472&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fcharles-barkley-jokes-jussie-smollett-liam-neeson-065029409.html

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:27:48 AM by Cheeks »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 10:00:33 AM »
Is it true he had worn the same shoes for every game this season?   If so, the blowout makes more sense.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 10:00:35 AM »
A little off topic, but Kevin Harlan was absolutely on fire last night too.  The game was pretty poor in the third quarter but he was keeping it interesting.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/bucks-celtics-kevin-harlan-beer
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 10:06:11 AM »
Inside the NBA is the best sports related show on TV.  Just unfiltered hilarity and insight.  It was amazing then went up another notch when Shaq joined.  He unleashed Barkley even more.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 10:13:30 AM »
A little off topic, but Kevin Harlan was absolutely on fire last night too.  The game was pretty poor in the third quarter but he was keeping it interesting.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/bucks-celtics-kevin-harlan-beer

The funniest part of his call last night was there were about 5-6 straight possessions of quick, early, open 3 point looks for both teams and all 5-6 of them bricked, and the only word either Harlan or Reggie could get in was basically saying "(enter player's name) takes an open 3...No!" and finally after a rebound Reggie just said, "NOOOO!" and started laughing.  That was one awful basketball game until the last 2 minutes or so when both teams hit some big shots.