[Today at 11:43:51 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 11:35:19 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by cheebs09
[Today at 10:52:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Congrats to Chicago and Illinois!  (Read 7215 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Congrats to Chicago and Illinois!
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2019, 03:40:32 PM »
Did you know that most things on the internet are not actually fact, and determining the validity of a topic requires more than just finding an internet site that agrees with you?

I went to the first one that popped up. I agree, I should continue to be skeptical of what journalists write or report...convinced more than ever of late.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2019, 08:02:38 PM »
And the same for Heisy.

Goes to get data from Fox News for the sole reason of starting an argument.

Anyone dumb enough to go there should be prohibited from an adult discussion.

So the UIC professor that wrote the study is a tool of Fox?

Question for Jockey ... How do you know MU is 21 - 4 and ranked 11th in the nation?  Their games are on FOX sports.  So, it must be a lie.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2019, 05:11:45 AM »
So the UIC professor that wrote the study is a tool of Fox?

Question for Jockey ... How do you know MU is 21 - 4 and ranked 11th in the nation?  Their games are on FOX sports.  So, it must be a lie.

There's been quite a few on CBSSN this year and I believe the preseason NIT was ESPN?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2019, 07:08:25 AM »
There's been quite a few on CBSSN this year and I believe the preseason NIT was ESPN?

;D

Piper with the TKO
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2019, 02:57:32 PM »

Those were the real games, the ones played on Fox Sports were the fake games.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2019, 03:22:42 PM »
Those were the real games, the ones played on Fox Sports were the fake games.

wouldn't trust that they happened without verifying via other sources first. It's why I follow the scores on other sites ;)
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2019, 04:31:06 PM »
OK gang, back to the corruption argument.

Saying Chicago and Illinois are corrupt is like saying it has been cold this month. But trying to quantify it and compare it to other political jurisdictions is, at best, a qualitative exercise. There is no reasonable way to audit, validate or otherwise verify the dollar value and total instances of corruption either in Illinois or anywhere else. At best, you can measure prosecutions, which is a lagging index and not necessarily indicative of what is happening now.

The problem in Illinois isn't corruption, per se. It's the tolerance of corruption. Since the state's founding, there has been untold thousands of corruption cases (including but not limited to the financial incentives paid to move the Wisconsin border 50 miles northward when the Illinois Territory was carved from the Northwest Territories). Every time, Illinois residents say, "we have to change," but they keep chugging right on. Peoples Exhibit Number 1 is the Beavers family. The father was elected a south side Chicago alderman, accepted a bribe in a zoning matter and went to prison. More than a decade later, little Beavers was elected from the same ward, accepted a bribe for the same reason and went prison. Like father, like son.

By contrast, in Tennessee, there was a series of high-profile public corruption prosecutions in the 1960s and 1970s related to bid rigging for paving of the state's interstate highway system. The series of investigations went in a different direction in the mid-1970s and culminated in the removal and prosecution of a sitting governor for selling prison pardons and liquor licenses. The governor went to prison, a new governor was elected and took office and the public corruption diminished almost completely.

Tennessee wanted change. Illinois doesn't.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2019, 05:00:36 PM »
OK gang, back to the corruption argument.

Saying Chicago and Illinois are corrupt is like saying it has been cold this month. But trying to quantify it and compare it to other political jurisdictions is, at best, a qualitative exercise. There is no reasonable way to audit, validate or otherwise verify the dollar value and total instances of corruption either in Illinois or anywhere else. At best, you can measure prosecutions, which is a lagging index and not necessarily indicative of what is happening now.

The problem in Illinois isn't corruption, per se. It's the tolerance of corruption. Since the state's founding, there has been untold thousands of corruption cases (including but not limited to the financial incentives paid to move the Wisconsin border 50 miles northward when the Illinois Territory was carved from the Northwest Territories). Every time, Illinois residents say, "we have to change," but they keep chugging right on. Peoples Exhibit Number 1 is the Beavers family. The father was elected a south side Chicago alderman, accepted a bribe in a zoning matter and went to prison. More than a decade later, little Beavers was elected from the same ward, accepted a bribe for the same reason and went prison. Like father, like son.

By contrast, in Tennessee, there was a series of high-profile public corruption prosecutions in the 1960s and 1970s related to bid rigging for paving of the state's interstate highway system. The series of investigations went in a different direction in the mid-1970s and culminated in the removal and prosecution of a sitting governor for selling prison pardons and liquor licenses. The governor went to prison, a new governor was elected and took office and the public corruption diminished almost completely.

Tennessee wanted change. Illinois doesn't.

Nashville's mayor resigned less than a year ago after pleading guilty to felony theft. She spent more than $10K in taxpayer money to take trips with a state cop with whom she was carrying on an extramarital affair. He also pleaded guilty to corruption charges.

And, while it's a bit dated, a Daily Beast study found that Tennessee is the most corrupt state in the nation.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-most-corrupt-states-1

Tennesseans in glass houses ....

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2019, 05:06:43 PM »
Nashville's mayor resigned less than a year ago after pleading guilty to felony theft. She spent more than $10K in taxpayer money to take trips with a state cop with whom she was carrying on an extramarital affair. He also pleaded guilty to corruption charges.

And, while it's a bit dated, a Daily Beast study found that Tennessee is the most corrupt state in the nation.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-most-corrupt-states-1

Tennesseans in glass houses ....

Brother Pakuni, the Mayoral problem in Nashville was the exception rather than the rule. And, it was sad because Megan Berry was a pretty good Mayor who was highly respected in Metro Nashville. It was an incredible lapse of judgment for a woman who had a pretty good future ahead of her.

As to the Daily Beast, someone has been reading way too many Honest Ray Blanton stories. Any survey that ranks Illinois 47th is immediately suspect!

To modify your quote: Tennesseans who live in glass houses ..... usually have shatterproof glass! Or, their windows are Hurricane Rated!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 05:11:37 PM by dgies9156 »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2019, 06:52:31 PM »

I can't compare it to Illinois because I haven't lived there for 8 1/2 years and I don't follow my former state's doings closely. Unlike some, I don't pretend to be an expert on everything. But based on the little bit I've read, it seems the problems are overblown by those with agendas.

I'm still here, wait a sec....

Madigan and Cullerton still running things.  Corruption is good and solid here in the Land of Lincoln. 

Nothing has changed since you were here.  I don't know when you were last here, but nothing has changed.  Well, our last governor isn't in jail.  That's good.  Hasn't happened in a while. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2019, 07:31:19 PM »
Just be sure you log into the correct avatar when you reply this time.

Sorry, is this to me? 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2019, 07:36:46 PM »
Beef n' Cheddars for all of Scoop if we can make it to the end of February without having to lock another thread!

feedback