[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Congrats to Chicago and Illinois!  (Read 7164 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Congrats to Chicago and Illinois!
« on: February 19, 2019, 06:58:56 AM »
Chicago is most corrupt big city, Illinois third most corrupt state in country, study finds

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-is-most-corrupt-big-city-illinois-third-most-corrupt-state-in-country-study-finds

Chicago may be known as the "Second City," but it remains Number 1 in the ranking of most corrupt big cities in the nation, according to a new report.

The report, titled "Corruption in Chicago and Illinois," released Monday from the University of Illinois at Chicago notes that while there's been a decline in recent years of federal convictions for public corruption, the Windy City still leads other localities.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

tower912

• All American
Re: Congrats to Chicago and Illinois!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 07:16:10 AM »
In before the inevitable lock.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 08:00:42 AM »
We're being Rickrolled this morning, eh?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 08:07:20 AM »
Counterpoint:

Weeks after Chicago claimed the crown for most breweries in the nation, the news gets even better: Illinois is home to some of the cheapest beer prices in the U.S.

https://herald-review.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/land-of-drinkin-illinois-has-nation-s-cheapest-beer-prices/article_15fe384d-3be9-5e56-8ace-fd94d7b2cbdb.html

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 08:37:44 AM »
While I would immediately question the methodology based on the source URL, would anyone honestly be surprised by this?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 09:00:02 AM »
Illinois exodus 313 residents per day, second most in the nation on,y to New York.  Three of the five destination states for Illinoisans are other midwestern states.

Someone better convince these folks with these other platitudes they should be staying.  I’m going to guess pocketbook issues and opportunities, and for some it is climate.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 09:00:07 AM »
I (skimmed) the source article.  I get it .. there are x% of people in the Chicago area that are in governmental positions that do bad things / are corrupt.  That x% is higher than other US cities.

I think Mexico (et al) would read that article and say "Hold my beer" by a factor of a million.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 09:25:50 AM »
The real problem with Chicago is that the weather sucks.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 09:30:00 AM »
If people really want to examine why Illinois is losing population - and most don't, because it wouldn't fit their predetermined narrative - they'd learn that it's way more complicated than the "taxes and corruption" crowd want to believe.

https://www.sj-r.com/news/20180607/illinois-population-is-falling-but-its-not-all-due-to-taxes

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 09:32:45 AM »
If people really want to examine why Illinois is losing population - and most don't, because it wouldn't fit their predetermined narrative - they'd learn that it's way more complicated than the "taxes and corruption" crowd want to believe.

https://www.sj-r.com/news/20180607/illinois-population-is-falling-but-its-not-all-due-to-taxes

Of course, but of the five states losing the most population, all have one thing in common......and it isn’t climate.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 09:47:08 AM »
No one articulated the angst of coming of age in suburban Chicago better than teen movie auteur John Hughes. Hughes celebrated the shallowness of middle-to-upper middle class life in Chicago's suburbs with a particular emphasis on the outcasts, freaks, geeks, and mouth breathing off spring of accountants, sales reps, and tax attorneys.

If Vegas had the Rat Pack Chicago had the Brat Pack; the yawning chasm from hip to nerd was never more apparent.

But I give Hughes great credit: who else could have made Judd Nelson such a painfully self-aware thug or a pasty faced Molly Ringwald into the  object of carnal desire for a generation of pimple-faced teen males?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 09:48:26 AM »

Oh silly, Pakuni. How dare you inject facts and nuance into any discussion. Shame on you!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 09:49:32 AM »
Of course, but of the five states losing the most population, all have one thing in common......and it isn’t climate.

What do New York, Illinois, West Virginia, Louisiana and Hawaii all have in common?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
Oh silly, Pakuni. How dare you inject facts and nuance into any discussion. Shame on you!

Facts....an awful lot of opinions in there....or “spin” is what I am to,d today where facts are used in a limited fashion...I am told

Meanwhile, how is your situation in North Carolina vs Illinois, your former stomping grounds?   ;)

Survey after survey shown that people leaving these states are damn happy they did.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 09:59:41 AM »
What do New York, Illinois, West Virginia, Louisiana and Hawaii all have in common?

Wrong list...states that lost the most people

New York
Illinois
California
Connecticut
New Jersey

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 10:07:42 AM »
Facts....an awful lot of opinions in there....or “spin” is what I am to,d today where facts are used in a limited fashion...I am told

Meanwhile, how is your situation in North Carolina vs Illinois, your former stomping grounds?   ;)

Survey after survey shown that people leaving these states are damn happy they did.

I believe NC is one of the fastest-growing states. I know Charlotte is one of the fastest-growing cities in the country, gaining something like 60 new residents a day.

Folks arrive for the relatively lower cost of living, the weather, the younger vibe, etc. They don't seem to mind the often overt racism, a problem that is growing, and the segregated schools (maybe some even choose this area because of it). And they don't seem to know (and almost surely don't care) that we are the only district in the country that still hasn't certified a U.S. House district race from the midterms because the winner hired an operative who committed fraud; only the latest example of the rampant corruption here.

I can't compare it to Illinois because I haven't lived there for 8 1/2 years and I don't follow my former state's doings closely. Unlike some, I don't pretend to be an expert on everything. But based on the little bit I've read, it seems the problems are overblown by those with agendas.

Thanks for asking, chicos. Have a nice day.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 10:09:55 AM »
Wrong list...states that lost the most people

New York
Illinois
California
Connecticut
New Jersey
Not sure where you're getting your data, but this is the latest from the Census Bureau. Seems like the data doesn't want to fit your effort to spin things politically.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 10:33:36 AM »
Where are volumes of peeps leaving, where are volumes of peeps moving to?

Interesting stuff....my wife and I have been looking at it all last three years with plenty of help.  We will be joining the mass exodus from Calif and going to one of the top 5 net gainers.....and the number one reason is pretty damn simple, same reason many are using.  Quality of life / cost.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:51:35 AM by Cheeks »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 10:34:38 AM »
Not sure where you're getting your data, but this is the latest from the Census Bureau. Seems like the data doesn't want to fit your effort to spin things politically.

Thanks again for providing actual facts, Pakuni.

West Virginia leads in percentage leaving -- a percentage higher than NY and Ill combined -- and 3 of the top 6 on the list for total departures are Southern states. Extremely interesting, and I admit a little surprising if for no other reason than cost-of-living.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »
Young people and opportunities for some of the the southern states.   Where is the economic opportunity in WV?   In Wyoming?   In Alaska?      As far as leaving Illinois and New York, I wonder how many of those leaving are retirees who have had enough winters.    I always laughed at 'snowbirds'.   Until the polar vortex of 2014.     I retire in 4 years, my wife in 13.    But for the first time, we discuss whether we would rather spend a summer being way too hot in exchange for not having to shovel.    The virtue of having a single wide near the gulf coast for 3 months out of the year.    And all because her circulation is getting worse and the cold affects her more than it used to.    Aging.       
   So, extrapolating, how many of those leaving Illinois and New York are just tired of being cold and are choosing not shoveling?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 10:48:03 AM »
NM
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 10:50:42 AM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 11:02:28 AM »
Journalists....they’re so good with data

I'm not sure what your point here is. I'm not going to sign up for a website to read the full article you linked, but its headline seems to agree with the Census Bureau.
Sorry, you had bad data and can't spin this the way you want.
The real data just validates what I said earlier, there are numerous and complicated factors that go into population growth and decline. But as the data shows, we have blue states and red states. Warm climates and cold. East Coast and Midwest and Deep South and even off continent.
Surely frustating to those who wish to simplify something complex to make a political point.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 11:06:52 AM »
Journalists....they’re so good with data

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwidxbayoMjgAhVSFzQIHR_1Aa4QzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bizjournals.com%2Fnewyork%2Fnews%2F2018%2F05%2F25%2Fnew-york-ranks-no-1-in-losing-residents-to-other.html&psig=AOvVaw0emecT6har3K0tLHulptT7&ust=1550681368767153

And what should be said about people who don't take the time to see if their source is more or less current than what they're refuting?  The first two lines of your article:

In 2015, New York had a population of 19.5 million. By only 2016 (the latest year available), it shrank to about 19.3 million, resulting in a net drop of 186,000 people.

It's like you're deliberately not trying anymore.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 11:11:40 AM »
Young people and opportunities for some of the the southern states.   Where is the economic opportunity in WV?   In Wyoming?   In Alaska?      As far as leaving Illinois and New York, I wonder how many of those leaving are retirees who have had enough winters.    I always laughed at 'snowbirds'.   Until the polar vortex of 2014.     I retire in 4 years, my wife in 13.    But for the first time, we discuss whether we would rather spend a summer being way too hot in exchange for not having to shovel.    The virtue of having a single wide near the gulf coast for 3 months out of the year.    And all because her circulation is getting worse and the cold affects her more than it used to.    Aging.       
   So, extrapolating, how many of those leaving Illinois and New York are just tired of being cold and are choosing not shoveling?

I'm 72 and live in New Jersey. I happen to like winter and for the most part our weather is pretty moderate. Sandy was one of the worst hurricanes to hit the state which happens every 50 years or so. Our worst blizzard was back in '96. Tornados are rare, no forrest fires , mud slides, sink holes or earthquakes of any real consequence. For the most part New Jersey is not a bad place to live as we are within a few hours driving distance to DC or Boston and just a train ride to Philly or NYC, not to mention the Jersey Shore.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 11:26:52 AM »
I'm not sure what your point here is. I'm not going to sign up for a website to read the full article you linked, but its headline seems to agree with the Census Bureau.
Sorry, you had bad data and can't spin this the way you want.
The real data just validates what I said earlier, there are numerous and complicated factors that go into population growth and decline. But as the data shows, we have blue states and red states. Warm climates and cold. East Coast and Midwest and Deep South and even off continent.
Surely frustating to those who wish to simplify something complex to make a political point.

If we stopped replying to him, he'd eventually go away. Banning isn't a workable solution for him as he has multiple accounts going and knows about VPNs.

I've heard that one should resolve to stop feeding trolls... I know it is framed as an intelligent-sounding argument backed by logic and numbers, but it just boils down to trolling... Plain and simple.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 12:04:06 PM »
Well... Illinois does have the cheapest beer in the Country! So maybe folks will start moving back.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/02/19/illinois-cheapest-beer-alaska-most-expensive/

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 12:28:44 PM »
Chicago. Home of "The Big One"

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/e/9Tw4iensEpE?s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/e/9Tw4iensEpE?s</a>
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:37:35 PM by Jon »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2019, 12:54:08 PM »
Illinois likely will lose two seats in the House after the 2020 census because the country is growing and the state is shrinking. Illinois' seats will either end up in Florida or Texas, or maybe Brother MU's North Carolina.

The cost of living and especially the cost of government is a key factor in Illinois' population decline. Nobody in their right mind says, "I'm moving to Florida because of the corruption." It's because the cost of living in Illinois, because of government, is reaching the stratosphere. Folks see the spending plan of the current governor and legislature atop the pension problem and say, "oh my Lord!"

Many people who leave Illinois undoubtedly look at it and its $155 billion state public pension shortfall and ask, "how am I going to be asked to fix that?" This is occurring even through your own retirement is totally self-funded and your salary and benefits likely do not match that of government workers in Illinois.

One can live in Nashville, for example, and be a little warmer in the summer and winter (and have much nicer springs) and pay a fraction of the property tax one would pay in Illinois. And pay no income tax. And be in a dynamic, growing market. Ditto for Charlotte and Brother MU's hometown.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. If you watch what's growing in Illinois, it's commerce where the plug can be pulled on a dime. Technology, for example, doesn't manufacture in Illinois. Caterpillar and Boeing moved their headquarters to Deerfield and Chicago, respectively, but did not bring a single capital-intensive employee to the area.

Depending on what happens in the legislature, these jobs and opportunities can go "poof" as fast they materialized.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2019, 01:15:33 PM »
And what should be said about people who don't take the time to see if their source is more or less current than what they're refuting?  The first two lines of your article:

I went further down the story to this paragraph

“According to recent data, New York state tops the charts in terms of outmigration from the state, and is followed by Illinois, California, New Jersey and Connecticut. All five of these states have negative net migration rates.”

Article was written in 2018, I assume the journalist was citing “recent data” as the journalist said they were.  The journalist specifically said 2015 and 2016 in the beginning, but then said recent data.  Poorly written?  Or was it, in fact, recent data presumably from 2018 when the article was written?

I’m trying just fine, I went to the first source I found and that’s what the journalist provided.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2019, 01:32:24 PM »

Pakuni was posting a chart on population declines.  Chicos is talking about outmigration.  Similar metrics, but different; for example, the latter ignores births and deaths, the former does not.

It may be apples to apples, but it's red delicious to honeycrisp.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2019, 01:42:01 PM »
Pakuni was posting a chart on population declines.  Chicos is talking about outmigration.  Similar metrics, but different; for example, the latter ignores births and deaths, the former does not.

Excellent point.

Can’t wait for the reversal comments from a few....nevermind, won’t be happening.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »
Excellent point.

Can’t wait for the reversal comments from a few....nevermind, won’t be happening.

You are still wrong though. Metrics on people moving do not list those states as the top 5.

Looking at outmigration and in-migration, one thing does stand out. The states with higher in-migration are popular retiree destinations. Indicating much of the movement is based on recent retirees.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2019, 02:01:13 PM »
You are still wrong though. Metrics on people moving do not list those states as the top 5.

Looking at outmigration and in-migration, one thing does stand out. The states with higher in-migration are popular retiree destinations. Indicating much of the movement is based on recent retirees.

Illinois should slap a pension tax on all Government retirees that live outside of Illinois (which is about 40%).

This is why Florida's finances are so much better than Illinois.  Illinois mails it money to Florida.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »
Machado saw this thread.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2019, 02:22:47 PM »

D'oh!

From Census data, 2018 top five domestic migration losers by total are New York, California, Illinois, New Jersey, And Louisiana.  Per capita, it's Alaska, New York, Illinois, Hawaii, and Wyoming.

This is why I generally stick to lurking.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 02:30:29 PM by mikekinsellaMVP »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2019, 02:30:08 PM »
D'oh!

From Census data, 2018 top five domestic migration losers by total are New York, Illinois, California, Louisiana, and Kansas.  Per capita, it's Alaska, New York, Illinois, Hawaii, and Wyoming.

This is why I generally stick to lurking.

Fair point, but the general point is valid. You have states with varying locations, climates and politics at the top of the list, so Cheeks' efforts to say "Ha, it's cause of the libs" remains invalid.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2019, 02:30:59 PM »

According to that article I posted they do....out migration states.  The question remains how recent the data is, but when a 2018 article is written in a few days before June and the journalist says recent data...well I assume it is recent data.

And the same article says gainers are Florida, Texas, Arizona, North Carolina and Georgia.  They also have a few things in common.

It’s ok to just say what they are.  Lower taxes, lower cost of living, better weather. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2019, 02:31:21 PM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 02:33:43 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2019, 02:33:17 PM »
Fair point, but the general point is valid. You have states with varying locations, climates and politics at the top of the list, so Cheeks' efforts to say "Ha, it's cause of the libs" remains invalid.

I'm sorry, please show me where I said this? I didn't.  This just in, there are some states that are blue and don't have oppressive taxes, terrible pensions, etc.  The ones where people are bailing, do.  Just as there are some red states that have high taxes and poor policy choices.  I didn't say anything broad based as your QUOTES imply.  I specifically isolated THOSE STATES ONLY!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2019, 02:38:14 PM »

People move around for all sorts of reasons.   But most people stay exactly where they were born, and moving is trending down.

Most "movers" are in their 20s, and in their 60s, and they have a variety of reasons, jobs, weather, and family are top 3.  And Arby's density.  Top 4.

Agreed, and family is definitely a high reason. That is one reason we are bailing before our kids start having kids, so we don't get sucked into that emotional decision.  In our journey the last few years that was a common theme of people that had regrets of wishing they had moved, but didn't and now feel trapped to some extent. They are very happy that their kids and grand kids are there, but their own lives put on hold again just when they had a chance to do something while they still are healthy and able.  As I told my wife, you can always fly to see the kids, or have them come to us.  You want to spend 2 months there, have at it.  We will see them plenty, but I don't want to get locked into this state until I drop dead because of that decision.  If anything, it will encourage the kids to know this country has a lot to offer outside of their little bubble.  Glad one of them left and is already seeing that.  Will see what the youngest decides.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 02:40:48 PM »
I'm sorry, please show me where I said this? I didn't.

We've seen this movie before, Cheeks

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2019, 02:43:14 PM »
We've seen this movie before, Cheeks

Yup, you make something up, no backup and then when called out on it, you have no defensible response.  Agreed, we have seen this before.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 02:49:11 PM »
Uh oh.... here comes the whole imply vs. infer contest.

IIRC, imply leads the overall series against infer 489 to 473.  So infer has got to be due.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2019, 02:52:12 PM »
If we stopped replying to him, he'd eventually go away. Banning isn't a workable solution for him as he has multiple accounts going and knows about VPNs.

I've heard that one should resolve to stop feeding trolls... I know it is framed as an intelligent-sounding argument backed by logic and numbers, but it just boils down to trolling... Plain and simple.

+100,000,000,000!

Let's all try it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2019, 02:53:55 PM »
According to that article I posted they do....out migration states.  The question remains how recent the data is, but when a 2018 article is written in a few days before June and the journalist says recent data...well I assume it is recent data.

And the same article says gainers are Florida, Texas, Arizona, North Carolina and Georgia.  They also have a few things in common.

It’s ok to just say what they are.  Lower taxes, lower cost of living, better weather.

Did you know that most things on the internet are not actually fact, and determining the validity of a topic requires more than just finding an internet site that agrees with you?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2019, 02:55:53 PM »
+100,000,000,000!

Let's all try it.

And the same for Heisy.

Goes to get data from Fox News for the sole reason of starting an argument.

Anyone dumb enough to go there should be prohibited from an adult discussion.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2019, 03:38:20 PM »
And the same for Heisy.

LOL.  Yes, because the other networks are always right....how's their stories on Empire actor of late when they were all in not alledging, but convicting.  Yup, very sound response Brandx, it's always the other side that has the problem.  Very sound.  LOL 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2019, 03:40:32 PM »
Did you know that most things on the internet are not actually fact, and determining the validity of a topic requires more than just finding an internet site that agrees with you?

I went to the first one that popped up. I agree, I should continue to be skeptical of what journalists write or report...convinced more than ever of late.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2019, 08:02:38 PM »
And the same for Heisy.

So the UIC professor that wrote the study is a tool of Fox?

Question for Jockey ... How do you know MU is 21 - 4 and ranked 11th in the nation?  Their games are on FOX sports.  So, it must be a lie.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2019, 05:11:45 AM »
So the UIC professor that wrote the study is a tool of Fox?

Question for Jockey ... How do you know MU is 21 - 4 and ranked 11th in the nation?  Their games are on FOX sports.  So, it must be a lie.

There's been quite a few on CBSSN this year and I believe the preseason NIT was ESPN?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2019, 07:08:25 AM »
There's been quite a few on CBSSN this year and I believe the preseason NIT was ESPN?

;D

Piper with the TKO

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2019, 02:57:32 PM »

Those were the real games, the ones played on Fox Sports were the fake games.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2019, 03:22:42 PM »
Those were the real games, the ones played on Fox Sports were the fake games.

wouldn't trust that they happened without verifying via other sources first. It's why I follow the scores on other sites ;)
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2019, 04:31:06 PM »
OK gang, back to the corruption argument.

Saying Chicago and Illinois are corrupt is like saying it has been cold this month. But trying to quantify it and compare it to other political jurisdictions is, at best, a qualitative exercise. There is no reasonable way to audit, validate or otherwise verify the dollar value and total instances of corruption either in Illinois or anywhere else. At best, you can measure prosecutions, which is a lagging index and not necessarily indicative of what is happening now.

The problem in Illinois isn't corruption, per se. It's the tolerance of corruption. Since the state's founding, there has been untold thousands of corruption cases (including but not limited to the financial incentives paid to move the Wisconsin border 50 miles northward when the Illinois Territory was carved from the Northwest Territories). Every time, Illinois residents say, "we have to change," but they keep chugging right on. Peoples Exhibit Number 1 is the Beavers family. The father was elected a south side Chicago alderman, accepted a bribe in a zoning matter and went to prison. More than a decade later, little Beavers was elected from the same ward, accepted a bribe for the same reason and went prison. Like father, like son.

By contrast, in Tennessee, there was a series of high-profile public corruption prosecutions in the 1960s and 1970s related to bid rigging for paving of the state's interstate highway system. The series of investigations went in a different direction in the mid-1970s and culminated in the removal and prosecution of a sitting governor for selling prison pardons and liquor licenses. The governor went to prison, a new governor was elected and took office and the public corruption diminished almost completely.

Tennessee wanted change. Illinois doesn't.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2019, 05:00:36 PM »
OK gang, back to the corruption argument.

Saying Chicago and Illinois are corrupt is like saying it has been cold this month. But trying to quantify it and compare it to other political jurisdictions is, at best, a qualitative exercise. There is no reasonable way to audit, validate or otherwise verify the dollar value and total instances of corruption either in Illinois or anywhere else. At best, you can measure prosecutions, which is a lagging index and not necessarily indicative of what is happening now.

The problem in Illinois isn't corruption, per se. It's the tolerance of corruption. Since the state's founding, there has been untold thousands of corruption cases (including but not limited to the financial incentives paid to move the Wisconsin border 50 miles northward when the Illinois Territory was carved from the Northwest Territories). Every time, Illinois residents say, "we have to change," but they keep chugging right on. Peoples Exhibit Number 1 is the Beavers family. The father was elected a south side Chicago alderman, accepted a bribe in a zoning matter and went to prison. More than a decade later, little Beavers was elected from the same ward, accepted a bribe for the same reason and went prison. Like father, like son.

By contrast, in Tennessee, there was a series of high-profile public corruption prosecutions in the 1960s and 1970s related to bid rigging for paving of the state's interstate highway system. The series of investigations went in a different direction in the mid-1970s and culminated in the removal and prosecution of a sitting governor for selling prison pardons and liquor licenses. The governor went to prison, a new governor was elected and took office and the public corruption diminished almost completely.

Tennessee wanted change. Illinois doesn't.

Nashville's mayor resigned less than a year ago after pleading guilty to felony theft. She spent more than $10K in taxpayer money to take trips with a state cop with whom she was carrying on an extramarital affair. He also pleaded guilty to corruption charges.

And, while it's a bit dated, a Daily Beast study found that Tennessee is the most corrupt state in the nation.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-most-corrupt-states-1

Tennesseans in glass houses ....

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2019, 05:06:43 PM »
Nashville's mayor resigned less than a year ago after pleading guilty to felony theft. She spent more than $10K in taxpayer money to take trips with a state cop with whom she was carrying on an extramarital affair. He also pleaded guilty to corruption charges.

And, while it's a bit dated, a Daily Beast study found that Tennessee is the most corrupt state in the nation.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-most-corrupt-states-1

Tennesseans in glass houses ....

Brother Pakuni, the Mayoral problem in Nashville was the exception rather than the rule. And, it was sad because Megan Berry was a pretty good Mayor who was highly respected in Metro Nashville. It was an incredible lapse of judgment for a woman who had a pretty good future ahead of her.

As to the Daily Beast, someone has been reading way too many Honest Ray Blanton stories. Any survey that ranks Illinois 47th is immediately suspect!

To modify your quote: Tennesseans who live in glass houses ..... usually have shatterproof glass! Or, their windows are Hurricane Rated!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 05:11:37 PM by dgies9156 »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2019, 06:52:31 PM »

I can't compare it to Illinois because I haven't lived there for 8 1/2 years and I don't follow my former state's doings closely. Unlike some, I don't pretend to be an expert on everything. But based on the little bit I've read, it seems the problems are overblown by those with agendas.

I'm still here, wait a sec....

Madigan and Cullerton still running things.  Corruption is good and solid here in the Land of Lincoln. 

Nothing has changed since you were here.  I don't know when you were last here, but nothing has changed.  Well, our last governor isn't in jail.  That's good.  Hasn't happened in a while. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2019, 07:31:19 PM »
Just be sure you log into the correct avatar when you reply this time.

Sorry, is this to me? 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2019, 07:36:46 PM »
Beef n' Cheddars for all of Scoop if we can make it to the end of February without having to lock another thread!