[Today at 01:39:54 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by onepost
[Today at 12:53:48 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Torn meniscus  (Read 2671 times)

jutaw22mu

• All American
Torn meniscus
« on: February 18, 2019, 07:16:23 PM »
Has anyone here ever torn their meniscus before?  I'm no medical Dr but I am pretty sure that I tore mine from twisting motions in my knee while shoveling my driveway last week when we had that super heavy snow.  I normally like to sit with one leg tucked under me, and when I try to tuck my left leg under me, I feel pain in my knee.  I don't notice any pain while walking, sleeping, or sitting normally.

Has anyone been able to heal from this without surgery?  What was your protocol?  Knee-brace, ice, anti-inflammatory?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Torn meniscus
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 07:35:10 PM »
Has anyone here ever torn their meniscus before?  I'm no medical Dr but I am pretty sure that I tore mine from twisting motions in my knee while shoveling my driveway last week when we had that super heavy snow.  I normally like to sit with one leg tucked under me, and when I try to tuck my left leg under me, I feel pain in my knee.  I don't notice any pain while walking, sleeping, or sitting normally.

Has anyone been able to heal from this without surgery?  What was your protocol?  Knee-brace, ice, anti-inflammatory?

Yes, but it depends where the tear is.  Mine was able to heal and I remember the doc saying it was in the redder zone or red zone, something.  If it was in another part of the meniscus it will not heal.  Hurt like hell just sitting in some situations, like a knife in my knee.  A lot of ice, rest, put your leg up, advil and eventually mine "healed".  If you have a tear that is bad or in an area that can't heal, you might need surgery.  Go see an ortho....been a long time since I had my tear, maybe things have changed.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 07:37:49 PM »
I had the surgery.  Injury the end of September, surgery the end of January.  Shoveling snow 30 hours later.  Back to work 2 weeks later.  No long term repercussions.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:42:45 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 07:38:13 PM »
yes-medial meniscus about 10 years ago

weird because i don't remember an incident.  it would just start aching when i was at rest.  deep pain.  i could use my eliptical without much discomfort.

i tried to avoid surgery, but it was like a toothache that would get kinda bad, settle, then come roaring back. 

had to face the music.  recovery wasn't bad.  was back on my eliptical withing a few days post-op

i don't mean to be a debbie downer, but i know someone who went in for meniscus surgery and came out with ligament surgery.  found it when they went in with the camera
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 07:43:51 PM »
GO GET SEEN

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 07:44:30 PM »

Eight months ago, same with me.  Pain when bending knee on the couch and also sleeping.  No pain walking, yet some when bending down yard work.  Like knife in interior part of knee. Went to Ortho Surgeon.  Did X-ray, no arthritis, said it was probably torn meniscus.  Gave me cortisone shot and said if feel more pain, get MRI and come back.

Cortisone worked great for seven months, pain back. Had MRI last week, confirmed meniscus tear.  Doc said since cortisone worked, let’s do another shot.  If that don’t work (so far so good, pain no more), then he recommends laparoscopic to remove damaged area, month recovery.  If shots continue to work, then he will continue, but not more than three because eventually gotta get it fixed. Great Doc, not one to rush everything to surgery.

So try a cortisone shot and go from there, just go to Ortho not a general doctor. 

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 07:48:24 PM »
I torn mine in 2009 playing soccer. It hurt a decent amount initially but I ended up finishing the game. Seemed fine but sore after the game; I thought I just tweaked my knee. After the 30 minute drive home when I got out of the car it hurt a ton. Woke up the next morning and it was very painful to walk.

Went in for an MRI and it turned out I tore my meniscus. Had arthroscopic surgery and 6 weeks later after physical therapy I was back to playing competitive soccer.

I can't remember exactly but I believe I could've skipped the surgery if I wanted to but it was recommended because of my age at the time (16).

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 07:54:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Does it hurt getting the cortisone injection?  I am a big baby.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 07:59:58 PM »
Ice and take it easy for a couple of weeks. If it still hurts, go see a PT. If they think it’s bad, will refer to a good ortho.. If not, they can treat it without the injection, surgery, etc...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 08:03:29 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

They will numb the area first, and usually there is pain management medication with the shot.  Cortisone injections can't be done repeatedly as it can deteriorate the cartilage, be mindful of that solution longer term.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 08:04:14 PM »
Correct diagnosis is as important as the treatment. Hurt my knee a few weeks ago with lifting and soccer. I'm in Ortho and was convinced it was meniscus or less likely ligament.

Turns out I merely have strained popliteus/politeal tendonitis.

At some point in your treatment, but especially before any surgery, get a 2nd/confirmatory opinion.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 08:04:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

my guess, from doing these things in other places of the body is...you'll be begging for your dentist ;D but in all seriousness, never had one nor given one, but A LOT of the pain comes from injecting the solution(more acidic) into a tight area, probably slightly fluid filled, competing for space. 

wait till the knee hurts so bad, you'll be begging for the needle

whatever you do, do not, i repeat, do not go onto the internet looking for remedies

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 08:24:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

No he used a spray solution which sort of numbed it, then injected. Took 15 seconds total.  The cortisone has abit of lidocaine in it to help numb interior. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 08:58:59 PM »
Ice and take it easy for a couple of weeks. If it still hurts, go see a PT. If they think it’s bad, will refer to a good ortho.. If not, they can treat it without the injection, surgery, etc...

This is the best guidance in the thread. Too many people go straight to surgery which is not always the best solution.

Depending on where the meniscus is torn it will heal on its own(parts that get blood will heal, part that doesn't won't)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 02:16:37 AM »
I've had 7 surgeries for meniscus tears and both ACLs reconstructed.  At 50 I still play sports because my knees feel better when I'm active than when I'm not.  Some things I've learned which may or may not help:

DO:  rest / ice and use the anti-inflammatory of your choice for a week or so after the injury
DO:  See a good doctor
DON'T:  rush to surgery because sometimes it does more harm than good (causes further degeneration, future tears, more problems long term like arthritis)
DO:  get your legs strong.  Get in the gym and work on your hamstrings especially and your quads as well, plus on stabilizer muscles.  Do this with a PT if you don't know how.  For several of my surgeries - including ACL reconstructions - a solid month of strengthening in the gym beforehand made the recovery several months faster.  For my last meniscus repair, I was jogging on day 3, playing hoops and squash in 2 weeks.  Sometimes the additional strength increases stability which enables you to go without a repair.  Even now, if I have only 15 minutes for the gym, I do my leg strength/rehab exercises.
DO:  be suspicious of any doctor or PT who recommends immobilization.  It contributes to atrophy of muscles which makes recovery time MUCH longer.
DON'T:  be afraid to see a sports med doctor, even if you're not an athlete.  They see this stuff all the time, where many orthopods are doing bone breaks and car crashes but don't understand joints so well. 
DO:  get it drained if it's really swollen.  Swelling causes the pain, not the meniscus itself usually.  The needle is huge, but it's totally pain free and really makes the pain go away - if the pain is caused by swelling. 
Good luck!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 05:10:14 AM »
I've had two knee surgeries.  The first was over 20 years ago to remove a "loose body" that kept locking my knee up.  I went back to running a few months after it healed. 
I had a second surgery 5 years ago to just clean up the one that was causing discomfort. I was back running 6 weeks later. 
I never had a cortizone shot as they are not recommended for knees.  I get Euphlexya shots as they are meant to cushion the joint and they last 6 months to 2 years.  It's a series of three shots.
Regardless, go see an Orthopedic.  He may request an MRI.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 05:55:08 AM »
As long as we are speaking of tears, what about gluteal muscles-it feels like a deep tear in the left cheek

About a month ago, Slipped on ice, before falling caught myself, but felt a pop followed by a deep very distinct burning pain in my left gluteus maximus.  The initial pain almost made me pass out, then very sore, walking was ok but very calculated.  More difficult to sit for extended periods, could not reach down to put a left sock on.  The only good thing that’s come out of it is I think it’s helped my golf game-seriously-it slowed my swing down
   Anyhow, today I can get a left sock on but still pretty sore.  Sitting bothers somewhat, especially longer flights.  My understanding is there is nothing one can really do except try not to aggravate it again like I did the other day snow blowing the driveway and slipping on the ice.  I can use my elliptical just fine however.

Any other remedies?  How long can this thing linger short of total immobilization? 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 07:23:13 AM »
As long as we are speaking of tears, what about gluteal muscles-it feels like a deep tear in the left cheek

About a month ago, Slipped on ice, before falling caught myself, but felt a pop followed by a deep very distinct burning pain in my left gluteus maximus.  The initial pain almost made me pass out, then very sore, walking was ok but very calculated.  More difficult to sit for extended periods, could not reach down to put a left sock on.  The only good thing that’s come out of it is I think it’s helped my golf game-seriously-it slowed my swing down
   Anyhow, today I can get a left sock on but still pretty sore.  Sitting bothers somewhat, especially longer flights.  My understanding is there is nothing one can really do except try not to aggravate it again like I did the other day snow blowing the driveway and slipping on the ice.  I can use my elliptical just fine however.

Any other remedies?  How long can this thing linger short of total immobilization?

A bruised tailbone is a terribly painful experience.  Have done it twice thanks to slipping on the ice. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 08:11:43 AM »

I'm callin' bullchit on dis, kin. Dat pain in yo ass definitely was caused bye sum posters on Scoop and knot know ice slip, aina?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:16:17 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 08:19:45 AM »
had the surgery when i was 15 or 16. It was great to fix the issue till about 7 years later and it suddenly started hurting again. Knee hasn't been the same since. If I had to do it again I'd do Physical therapy, and all those other treatments before surgery.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 09:22:49 AM »

So, it hurts when you talk?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 09:24:37 AM »
A bruised tailbone is a terribly painful experience.  Have done it twice thanks to slipping on the ice.

not tailbone, i didn't physically fall.  upon slipping, i caught myself by grabbing a hold of wall in front of me. but felt a deep "pop" within the left butt cheek.  feels like a tendon or muscle pull.  yes, tailbone bruises are what they are, but this one is more in the back of thigh, ass muscle making movement down toward left very difficult.  movement down to right is ok

4ever- yes, probably a contributing factor

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »
not tailbone, i didn't physically fall.  upon slipping, i caught myself by grabbing a hold of wall in front of me. but felt a deep "pop" within the left butt cheek.  feels like a tendon or muscle pull.  yes, tailbone bruises are what they are, but this one is more in the back of thigh, ass muscle making movement down toward left very difficult.  movement down to right is ok

4ever- yes, probably a contributing factor

That sounds really painful.  Might have been better off letting yourself be Brad Davison (sp?).

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 11:03:28 AM »
That sounds really painful.  Might have been better off letting yourself be Brad Davison (sp?).

LOL-yup, but the pop came before the fall, so if i wouldn't taken the charge, might have needed stitches for the melon :-[

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 11:34:39 AM »
I suffered a medial meniscus tear about 5 years ago, but wasn't exactly sure how I did it.  Post-injury, in addition to pain the knee would occasionally "lock up", which I was told is common with this sort of injury.  I have no idea how any of you were jogging 3 days after surgery.  I waited a good month before I was running again.  And yes, go see a good doc!

feedback