[Today at 02:39:49 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Zog from Margo
[Today at 12:33:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

NM by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 01:04:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gameday  (Read 16066 times)

tower912

• All American
Gameday
« on: February 16, 2019, 11:01:26 AM »
Bilas:  "a student gets $19000, the players get nothing."

After a Kentucky student made a half court shot on gameday.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Gameday
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 11:04:19 AM »
Yeah, true. But I bet a majority of students would trade the 19k to get what the players get for four years.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 11:16:10 AM »

Think he knows the athletes are students too?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 11:21:12 AM »
I think even Marquette said that it costs near $250,000 per athlete to cover tuition, tutors, travel, housing, etc.   can’t remember where I saw that

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 11:24:30 AM »
I think even Marquette said that it costs near $250,000 per athlete to cover tuition, tutors, travel, housing, etc.   can’t remember where I saw that

Easily. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:47:04 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 11:35:34 AM »

4 year free ride for 12 guys. One student gets a 2% chance to make a shot for 19k once. Bilas is right. They get nothin

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »
 ::)

I respect the guy a lot, but this one he takes to an idiotic extreme without any consideration opposing his view
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 11:44:57 AM »

Nothing?  When one of my kids was on athletic scholarship they received much more than nothing.  He doesn't help his cause with poor choice of words.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 12:20:18 PM »
The four year scholarship is a fantastic deal for Matt Heldt and a just ok deal for Markus Howard. 

Fine, pay the players but it better be merit based.  Probably no more than 75 college basketball players deserve additional compensation. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »
Bilas:  "a student gets $19000, the players get nothingfour years of tuition, room board and treatment like royalty."

Fixed for Jay.

I like Jay a lot, but don't think he's right about this.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 01:14:51 PM »
The four year scholarship is a fantastic deal for Matt Heldt and a just ok deal for Markus Howard. 

Fine, pay the players but it better be merit based.  Probably no more than 75 college basketball players deserve additional compensation.

I totally agree with this... but maybe have it as it's own league for the paid players.  And then you could even have each team maybe partnered up with a pro league team.  Then they could probably even drop any school affiliation too.  Just kind of call them D-level pro players.  Oh, and then they could even get a sponsorship and allow them to name the league off that sponsorship.  Bet Gatorade would be up for something like that.

Heck, once we do that we don't even have to have the ncaa oversee it.  The NBA already does this sort of thing, we can let them oversee it.  Nice part about that is you don't have to worry about eligibility issues and whatnot. 

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 01:19:30 PM »
Markus is wayyyyy underpaid in today’s college model. If he led Marquette to the final four, he would be underpaid by a multiplier well over 10x.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »

JB's overarching points are correct imho, and much objectively more nuanced than this - but he doesn't do himself any favors shoehorning it into a student shooting for free tuition.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 01:26:43 PM »

He's a clown to make that statement. An absolute clown.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 01:28:27 PM »

Matt Heldt got $250,000

And I love Matt Heldt.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 01:31:22 PM »
Markus is wayyyyy underpaid in today’s college model. If he led Marquette to the final four, he would be underpaid by a multiplier well over 10x.

Markus is on a national stage with a tryout for scouts each and every day.  Free education, free training, free meals, chance to showcase and have his name out there on a daily basis.  Win win for everyone.  Most cheer and watch for the name on the front, not the name on the back. 

Henry Ellenson was a first round pick....was he underpaid?  Did he make us better in a material way?  I'd argue no, players stood around and watched him be Henry.  As a team, we didn't do anything, no tournament of any kind...yet he was a future pro.  So what should he be paid?

Guys want to get paid...go to the G League, go to Europe.  The earlier this silliness stops with the notion of paying college players, the better.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 01:33:48 PM »
Matt Heldt got $250,000

And I love Matt Heldt.

I'd argue he got a lot more than that. The connections alone he has made the endearment to MU alumni will pay off for him for decades.  Let alone the value of a college degree isn't just the current rate of tuition, it is also on the lifetime earnings it delivers.  Something Jay Bilas 100% of the time refuses to acknowledge.  How many guys get degrees through sports that never would have without sports....and as a result, pave the way for a life of consistent earnings vs a life of struggle if they don't make it athletically?  The examples are endless.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 01:34:47 PM »
Matt Heldt got $250,000

And I love Matt Heldt.

Chris Otule got $375,000

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 01:47:01 PM »
If Markus led Marquette to a national championship....

Markus gets
Free meals, scholarship and travel... alumni backslaps and a lifetime of feel good.

Marquette gets
Huge spike in applications, donations, recruiting, endowment, brand prestige, merchandising revenue, attendance and ratings.

For kids as talented as Markus the current set up is not a great deal for them.....

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 01:54:15 PM »
He's a clown to make that statement. An absolute clown.
Why call him a clown...you've never said anything stupid?  That said, he is trying to stir debate, and I respect anyone who thinks we should do more to support kids and less to support people who try to profit off them while giving the "they have it great" line. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 02:02:29 PM »
If Markus led Marquette to a national championship....

Markus gets
Free meals, scholarship and travel... alumni backslaps and a lifetime of feel good.

Marquette gets
Huge spike in applications, donations, recruiting, endowment, brand prestige, merchandising revenue, attendance and ratings.

For kids as talented as Markus the current set up is not a great deal for them.....

No, he gets a college education valued at $250K in today's money, earning potential over over $2M easily in the event he can never play again because he has a degree. 

As for what Marquette gets....same number of games on TV whether he is here or not, that's contractually built in.  More eyeballs, a few.  Donations and endowment will go up for schools that have one time runs (Loyola of Chicago), but consistent power house athletically do not see that occur, Texas A&M proved the fallacy of the merchandise sales....they sold a grand total of $60K worth of jerseys the year Manziel won the Heisman so let's not get carried away with that continued myth.  By the way, that was $60K for all jerseys..basketball, football, baseball...the amount of jerseys with Manziel's number far smaller than $60K.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/80530/manziel-jerseys-hardly-making-am-rich 

Attendance, MU was going to average strong attendance this year regardless...hard to quantify how many incremental...probably some, but the new arena and built in base was happening no matter what.  When Markus leaves, do you expect attendance to crater?  Our ratings, I haven't checked them in about 5 weeks, will do so next week, but our ratings were no better this year than last year last I checked.

For kids as talented as Markus, if it it wasn't for college basketball he would be in the G League and NO ONE would hear of him, NO ONE would see his highlights on ESPN, etc, etc, but he would get paid. 

It's a win win.  College basketball is here whether the elite players decide to play in it or not. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 02:09:48 PM by Cheeks »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 02:04:47 PM »
No, he gets a college education valued at $250K in today's money, earning potential over over $2M easily in the event he can never play again because he has a degree. 

this is a fun detail

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 02:12:14 PM »
The star players get significantly less from the school than the school gets from them.

The opposite is true for most players.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 02:15:17 PM »
The star players get significantly less from the school than the school gets from them.

Though, the star players don’t have to go to school......

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 02:16:56 PM »

If that's true, why are they going to school? They don't have to.  Reality is, schools help MAKE them stars.  You think anyone would know Markus if he was in the G League right now? Nope.  Win win.   Elite players choose to go to school because it makes them better, gives them exposure, sets them up to be drafted....all BENEFITING the player. And oh by the way, for the ones that give a damn, they also get an education.  Win win.

feedback