[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA  (Read 50770 times)

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
Re: UCLA
« Reply #225 on: February 18, 2019, 10:00:08 AM »
This certainly is realistic, SI.

However, none of us can know what Wojo is thinking in these scenarios. There are guys like Wright and Few who ain't going anywhere despite being at schools that could be seen as "lesser" than those in the ACC, BT or B12. Maybe Wojo fancies himself as the next Jay Wright, content to build and maintain a national powerhouse at a great basketball school outside the P5. Or maybe he's looking for the first opportunity to jump to a job like Duke, Maryland, or any of several other "big-time" jobs. Or it could be somewhere between those extremes.

I guess it's "fun" to speculate, though.

That could definitely be true, and I think we'd love for it to be true.  I certainly don't see Wojo jumping for just any Big Ten or ACC opening (Rutgers, Minn, BC, Wake, etc.).  I'm also making a big assumption that Wojo would even want to be near "home" - for some coaches that seems like a big deal, but might actually be a turnoff for others.  But even using your examples of Wright and Few, you wonder if location has something to do with their willingness to stay put, Wright being from Philly and Few from Oregon. 

And Wojo's wife is from Salt Lake City, so maybe he'll throw us a curveball and dump us for BYU...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #226 on: February 18, 2019, 10:02:43 AM »
That could definitely be true, and I think we'd love for it to be true.  I certainly don't see Wojo jumping for just any Big Ten or ACC opening (Rutgers, Minn, BC, Wake, etc.).  I'm also making a big assumption that Wojo would even want to be near "home" - for some coaches that seems like a big deal, but might actually be a turnoff for others.  But even using your examples of Wright and Few, you wonder if location has something to do with their willingness to stay put, Wright being from Philly and Few from Oregon. 

And Wojo's wife is from Salt Lake City, so maybe he'll throw us a curveball and dump us for BYU...

Maybe. Can't get into Wojo's head, so I'm not gonna worry about any of this.

I'm certainly not going to worry about random publications putting Wojo's name on a list every time there's a P5 opening. I look at it as a sign that he's doing great things at Marquette, and I like when great things are being done at my alma mater.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #227 on: February 18, 2019, 10:31:36 AM »
Maybe. Can't get into Wojo's head, so I'm not gonna worry about any of this.

I'm certainly not going to worry about random publications putting Wojo's name on a list every time there's a P5 opening. I look at it as a sign that he's doing great things at Marquette, and I like when great things are being done at my alma mater.

The more success he has at MU the more his name will appear for coaching vacancies. Part of the business. The one job he will likely take if offered is Duke. Other than that, I think he stays at MU unless the current administration changes and he does not like the replacements.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2019, 11:15:12 AM »
The more success he has at MU the more his name will appear for coaching vacancies. Part of the business. The one job he will likely take if offered is Duke. Other than that, I think he stays at MU unless the current administration changes and he does not like the replacements.

Not even sure he would take Duke, at least not right away.

Let some other coach burn off that following-a-legend letdown first, and he can come in and be the "savior" of the program.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2019, 11:26:50 AM »

Let some other coach burn off that following-a-legend letdown first, and he can come in and be the "savior" of the program.

That's the pragmatic thing to say, and I think I'd look at it that way, too.

But most high-level coaches (and athletes and executives and politicians, etc) don't think that way. They have the confidence to think, "I'm great, and I can get it done."

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #230 on: February 18, 2019, 11:35:29 AM »
That's the pragmatic thing to say, and I think I'd look at it that way, too.

But most high-level coaches (and athletes and executives and politicians, etc) don't think that way. They have the confidence to think, "I'm great, and I can get it done."

It's more than that with Wojo. He is a Blue Devil. Almost all of his adult life he has been there. The emotional pull will be very strong. Time will tell but my guess is he takes if offered.

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #231 on: February 18, 2019, 11:42:52 AM »
On wojo...,

From other colleges that have lost emerging coaching stars....

The administration relationship may delay the inevitable...

The players may delay the inevitable...

The way to keep him is to make it a destination job!

A nba arena that is filled with paying seats.

A group of donors combined with Marquette that pay him very well.

A city and community that is attractive to his family.

A chance to be very successful, year end and year out.

IMO he needs to be paid 2x what he’s being paid.

He needs to have a path to greater responsibility if he desires like an AD position and growth in recognition. Sometimes leaders that like the limelight can Take credit where the coach is responsible.

Do all that and the nba could come calling and make an offer he couldn’t refuse.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #232 on: February 18, 2019, 11:49:09 AM »
It's more than that with Wojo. He is a Blue Devil. Almost all of his adult life he has been there. The emotional pull will be very strong. Time will tell but my guess is he takes if offered.

Of course he takes it.  He has spent 60% of his entire life, and 80% of his adult life at Duke.  Bleeds blue.  If you are offered the job u take it immediately, the “savior” job is not only ill conceived it most likely is never needed.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »
Of course he takes it.  He has spent 60% of his entire life, and 80% of his adult life at Duke.  Bleeds blue.  If you are offered the job u take it immediately, the “savior” job is not only ill conceived it most likely is never needed.

Roy Williams.  But you are probably right.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #234 on: February 18, 2019, 12:13:02 PM »

These coaches have big egos and are very competitive.  If there is a once in a lifetime dream job, you take it. These types of jobs don’t come along very often. Is a coach really going to wait around for the top coach they eventually hire to fail?  Heck, we are still comparing Wojo to Al all these years later.

Coach K has five years left. His replacement gets five years to fail. That’s a decade for Wojo to twiddle his thumbs.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 12:15:57 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #235 on: February 18, 2019, 12:15:43 PM »
If offered he takes it.....unless he's got a NC caliper team coming back or something, even than I'd think he's more than likely to take the Duke gig. I'd have to think being the second coming of Al (definitely not in the personality sense) at MU has to be a bigger career legacy than the dude that followed K but what do I know.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #236 on: February 18, 2019, 12:43:47 PM »
If offered he takes it.....unless he's got a NC caliper team coming back or something, even than I'd think he's more than likely to take the Duke gig. I'd have to think being the second coming of Al (definitely not in the personality sense) at MU has to be a bigger career legacy than the dude that followed K but what do I know.

I doubt the team's ability to measure body fat factors into Wojo's decision.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #237 on: February 18, 2019, 12:49:59 PM »

I cannot believe that anyone even questions that he would take the job.  Even if he has an objective understanding of the difficulty of being the successor to a legend, he takes that job without question/hesitation.  And it makes sense for all of the obvious reasons (even knowing all of the difficulties and no matter how well things are going at MU at the time), but also bc the opportunity may never come again-hell, it is unlikely to come again if he actually turned it down.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #238 on: February 18, 2019, 12:50:52 PM »
Take a look at the list of the NCAA's winning-est coaches. Then think about the guy that followed each.

Not an impressive list. Kinda shockingly bad actually.

But agree 100% that it won't factor into any coach's decision to take a job like that if offered.

But it probably should.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #239 on: February 18, 2019, 01:01:00 PM »
I cannot believe that anyone even questions that he would take the job.  Even if he has an objective understanding of the difficulty of being the successor to a legend, he takes that job without question/hesitation.  And it makes sense for all of the obvious reasons (even knowing all of the difficulties and no matter how well things are going at MU at the time), but also bc the opportunity may never come again-hell, it is unlikely to come again if he actually turned it down.

Yup
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #240 on: February 18, 2019, 01:05:31 PM »

Coach K has five years left. His replacement gets five years to fail. That’s a decade for Wojo to twiddle his thumbs.

Here's hoping that "twiddle his thumbs" is a synonym for leading MU to a national championship or two.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #241 on: February 18, 2019, 01:14:11 PM »
Take a look at the list of the NCAA's winning-est coaches. Then think about the guy that followed each.

Not an impressive list. Kinda shockingly bad actually.

But agree 100% that it won't factor into any coach's decision to take a job like that if offered.

But it probably should.

Denny Crum to Rick Pitino.  Looks favorable.
Al McGuire to Hank Raymonds.  2nd highest winning % in history.
Dean Smith to Bill Gutheridge. Two Final Fours, an ACC championship, National Coach of the Year in three years.
Adolph Rupp to Joe B Hall.  Three FF, NC, 75% winning percent.
Roy Williams replaced by Bill Self. Looks solid.
John Wooden replaced by Gary Cunnigham. 50-8 record, Sweet 16 and Elite 8. Highest winnng percent in UCLA history.

Are their results bad or are fans’ expectations ridiculous for the assistants that took over immediately? I think the lessons learned is to go big externally away from the legacy like Pitino and Self. Really only Joe B Hall made it from the ranks. Ollie won a NC and couldn’t cheat as well as Calhoun.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #242 on: February 18, 2019, 01:36:11 PM »
On wojo...,

From other colleges that have lost emerging coaching stars....

The administration relationship may delay the inevitable...

The players may delay the inevitable...

The way to keep him is to make it a destination job!

A nba arena that is filled with paying seats.

A group of donors combined with Marquette that pay him very well.

A city and community that is attractive to his family.

A chance to be very successful, year end and year out.

IMO he needs to be paid 2x what he’s being paid.

He needs to have a path to greater responsibility if he desires like an AD position and growth in recognition. Sometimes leaders that like the limelight can Take credit where the coach is responsible.

Do all that and the nba could come calling and make an offer he couldn’t refuse.

WTH is that supposed to mean?
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #243 on: February 18, 2019, 01:36:49 PM »
Denny Crum to Rick Pitino.  Looks favorable.
Al McGuire to Hank Raymonds.  2nd highest winning % in history.
Dean Smith to Bill Gutheridge. Two Final Fours, an ACC championship, National Coach of the Year in three years.
Adolph Rupp to Joe B Hall.  Three FF, NC, 75% winning percent.
Roy Williams replaced by Bill Self. Looks solid.
John Wooden replaced by Gary Cunnigham. 50-8 record, Sweet 16 and Elite 8. Highest winnng percent in UCLA history.

Are their results bad or are fans’ expectations ridiculous for the assistants that took over immediately? I think the lessons learned is to go big externally away from the legacy like Pitino and Self. Really only Joe B Hall made it from the ranks. Ollie won a NC and couldn’t cheat as well as Calhoun.

Hank was a mistake, God rest his soul.
Cunningham didn't follow Wooden.  Gene Bartow did and got to a Final Four but impossible coach to follow.
Tark to Massamino not good
Knight to Davis not good

More importantly, Stew Morrill to Tim Duryea was an epic failure.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #244 on: February 18, 2019, 01:42:48 PM »

Yes, If he does want the Duke job I see it as a K+2.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #245 on: February 18, 2019, 01:53:18 PM »
WTH?
Pretty strong here...

The right support from the Marquette community and well heeled alums to allow the program to pay top dollar....the right perks etc... always within the rules....to make it a destination job and a well paying job.

Wojo is relatively young, experienced, tremendously marketable and does things the right way...
People pay on accomplishment and potential.

There are programs that can afford to pay him top dollar. Marquette needs to be in the ballpark.

At least I don’t have him relying on plotting 10 years out waiting for his dream job to fall apart and he can rescue the team!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #246 on: February 18, 2019, 01:56:31 PM »

May have been a mistake long-term, but it was indeed a solid record and certainly not “shockingly bad”.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #247 on: February 18, 2019, 02:59:36 PM »
Off topic (but perhaps more on topic than most of the thread) Arizona has lost 7 straight. When's the last time that happened to the Wildcats? While a coach's record shouldn't matter when investigating potential misconduct....I think now is a helluva time for Miller to turn in his worst season ever. I'm starting to believe the theory that Miller will be gowne by season's end
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #248 on: February 18, 2019, 03:14:25 PM »
WTH?
Pretty strong here...

The right support from the Marquette community and well heeled alums to allow the program to pay top dollar....the right perks etc... always within the rules....to make it a destination job and a well paying job.

Wojo is relatively young, experienced, tremendously marketable and does things the right way...
People pay on accomplishment and potential.

There are programs that can afford to pay him top dollar. Marquette needs to be in the ballpark.

At least I don’t have him relying on plotting 10 years out waiting for his dream job to fall apart and he can rescue the team!

The way you phrased it certainly made it sound like you were talking about payments going directly from alums to Wojo.  I am not sure why you grouped alumni donations in with Wojo's compensation in your post.

And my guess is that donations are a lot smaller portion of the budget pie than things like TV money.  And it's doubtful that donations are tied to the coaches salary in any way, even indirectly.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2019, 03:17:16 PM »

Not what his Mom said.