[Today at 11:08:12 AM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:02:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I know it's a little late in the year for a lineup change  (Read 9367 times)

muguru

• All American
I know it's a little late in the year for a lineup change
« on: February 12, 2019, 11:10:49 PM »
But I wonder if Wojo shouldn't consider starting Ed for Theo? The biggest reason is to "save" some of Theo's fouls(Buzz did that with Davante). But maybe the bigger added benefit is Ed brings more offensively. Things are going great right now so it might not be the best idea to change things, but..i don't think this would impact them negatively and actually would only help them.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: I know it's a little late in the year for a lineup change
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 11:15:34 PM »
But I wonder if Wojo shouldn't consider starting Ed for Theo? The biggest reason is to "save" some of Theo's fouls(Buzz did that with Davante). But maybe the bigger added benefit is Ed brings more offensively. Things are going great right now so it might not be the best idea to change things, but..i don't think this would impact them negatively and actually would only help them.

No way.

Sure sometimes Theo has two fouls before people find their seats. But he sets such a tone defensively it’s huge.

Xavier blacked out the moment Theo was gone.

Today DePaul started hot but couldn’t get the lead because any of their misses were basically on drives into Theos paint
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 11:16:21 PM »
Davante started on the bench because he had a 2 mm vertical and Buzz wanted to win the tip because that insures you cannot lose the number of possessions battle. That's the same reason Theo should start. Ed isn't winning a tip any time soon.

And tip-related, it really annoys me when teams put a guy on "our side" of the tip-off. We lost the Villanova & DePaul tips because they had guys in between Theo and our guys in our defensive half. Not a fan of that. It's BS, and that's a hill I'll die on.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:19:48 PM »
No.

MULaw14

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 11:21:22 PM »
No.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 11:22:48 PM »
No.

Repetition is the key to adult learning.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 11:25:02 PM »
Doesn't matter.

Each young man is doing just fine in his current role.

If Wojo did decide to change it up, that would be just fine, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 12:12:33 AM »
Nope.

However, Wojo has to be better with getting Matt heldt in earlier when he realizes the fouls are racking up. Matt can hold his own for stretches.

Also, I said earlier this season that I see Ed as the most important “role player” going forward if marquette is to win conference and make a run in the dance. I’ve been wrong so far

THANKS SACAR

But I still think theos tendency to grab fouls will become more evident w better competition and Ed becoming a near double double guy we dreamed him to be preseason might be the key late season out of nowhere contribution this squad needs

Cue the miracle multiple baseline 3s from Jamal in massive games crowd as an honorable mention after tonight :)

Forgot to mention, Theo is a bad man

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 12:23:43 AM »
A bigger question in my mind is whether Joey needs a (brief?) reprieve from starting, and, if so, who should replace him—likely Brendan, but could go a few different routes.  He just has seemed out of it and I wonder if that could give him some space and time to straighten things out.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 12:30:56 AM »
I'd be pretty surprised if Wojo changes a lineup that's winning consistently. The only adjustments I'd expect might be a quicker turn to Ed and Matt when Theo gets an early foul, and maybe more minutes for Brendan and Jamal if Joey continues to struggle.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 12:43:56 AM »
A bigger question in my mind is whether Joey needs a (brief?) reprieve from starting, and, if so, who should replace him—likely Brendan, but could go a few different routes.  He just has seemed out of it and I wonder if that could give him some space and time to straighten things out.

I see where you’re coming from but I think this would be a bad idea too.
Joey seems to be pressing and a bit in his own head with this rough little stretch.

There was a postgame a few weeks ago where wojo kind of called him out (after a good performance) and said that he needs to be more aggressive because he can take over games.

I think- although I’m only an amateur psychologist- that he was trying to get Joey to take that next step and become the third main guy w Markus and Sam. I also think wojo probably regrets this now.

Sacar has come on and Joey has looked a bit befuddled since that time. Imo the right play with Joey at that time, and even more so now, is to get back to making him realize that he is a freshman. Get him back to doing the basics- mainly defending well and being strong and helping sam out on the boards. Some have mentioned recently he’s out worst defender- earlier in the year there were several games where he was much better and leading rebounder. Get him back to that and get him in the underdog role of being a freshman and needing to prove himself and maybe he has some Steve Novak 2003 impact type games when it matters most. He’s definitely capable

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 12:46:18 AM »
I love you muguru

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 05:13:54 AM »
No.  Because of Matt Heldt.   Last night, Theo and Ed got in foul trouble.  I was excited see Matt come in.  No worries.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 06:20:23 AM »
According to Pomeroy, MUs 2 foul participation rate is 9.8% versus a national average of 21.4%.  Last year, MU was at 31.7%. It's a big reason why MU is so much better on defense, in that we don't have to play tentative and we have quality depth to sub in.

The rotation is fine.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 06:36:27 AM »
No for either Theo or Joey.  Don't mess with success.  That said, the number of minutes can adjust as necessary.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 06:39:43 AM »
According to Pomeroy, MUs 2 foul participation rate is 9.8% versus a national average of 21.4%.  Last year, MU was at 31.7%. It's a big reason why MU is so much better on defense, in that we don't have to play tentative and we have quality depth to sub in.

The rotation is fine.

;D

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 06:42:56 AM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 07:09:57 AM »
Ed brings more offensively?
I don’t know about that. Both can get the drop down dunk. However, both are a back to the basket post up liability. Ed has a few roll in for him last night, but he can’t shoot outside of 6’.
The only one who wants the ball in either of their hands in the post for some reason is Joe.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 07:22:15 AM »
Ed is a better FT shooter, but Heldt is better than both.      We have a week to split hairs and debate minutiae.    To borrow from Bull Durham.....' Don't (mess) with a streak'
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 07:27:02 AM »
No.

Starting doesn’t matter. We have the bench, adjust as needed.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 08:34:47 AM »
No.

I think Ed is great, and I love the two headed monster that Theo and Ed provide, with an outstanding additional option of Heldt.  (It was so satisfying last night to see our "third stringer" come in and provide impactful defense right out of the gate)  However, Theo is the guy to start the game.   

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 08:48:43 AM »
No.  Because of Matt Heldt.   Last night, Theo and Ed got in foul trouble.  I was excited see Matt come in.  No worries.

Excited is not the emotion that comes to mind when Matt enters. I'm not panic stricken either, I'm OK with it. But I'm not excited.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 09:02:29 AM »

Why not start with Heldt and save them both?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 09:04:33 AM »
Excited is not the emotion that comes to mind when Matt enters. I'm not panic stricken either, I'm OK with it. But I'm not excited.

Matty played very well last night.  He'd start for several of the BEast teams.  The only difference now is that we're a Top 10, not an NIT caliber squad.  Let's appreciate his contribution.  Personally, I really look forward to his thunderous ovation on Senior Day.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 09:06:19 AM »
Why not start with Heldt and save them both?

Because you want to maximize their minutes.  One never knows if Theo can give you 25+.  Only way to find out is to have him out there.  He and Ed come off on an 'as necessary' basis.  And the milkman buys you credible time.