[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Heavyweight rumble  (Read 12315 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Heavyweight rumble
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2019, 08:48:04 PM »
That's reasonable, Mr. brand.

I'm liking our chances to go far more and more.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2019, 08:51:29 PM »
I never said Markus shouldn’t be the one taking the shot but dribbling the ball for 30 seconds then creating a shot isn’t offense and we’re much better than having to resort to that

This. Set a pick, create a mismatch for Markus. If they double him, I'll still take a wide open 3 by Sam or a slash to the basket by Sacar in that situation.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2019, 09:54:13 PM »
He definitely needs to rethink end of game. Markus is a great offensive player, but the last two games should clearly show what to do. The opponent knows it will be the Markus show, so it must be given the last shot to Sam. Markus will be double or triple teamed so give it up to Sam. He is the only other guy that can make that clutch shot, or get fouled and make the FTs.
You don't know basketball, last game the play was not for Markus but it ended up being for him because of his fumble. Today it was either Sacar or him no other offensive threats. Would you have Sacar handling the ball and getting foul? Nope!
Goal is National Championship

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2019, 07:13:49 AM »
I just was able to watch the game.  I don't think Joey has sit some sort of wall.  He scored 21 at Xavier, which was two weeks ago, and has played three games since then.  That's not all that demanding.

What I see defenses doing is rushing him.  Running him off the three point line and making him put the ball on the floor.  He hasn't developed that part of his game enough yet.  Sam has similar problems.

And I don't think Jay Wright is mocking Sacar at all.  I think he was annoyed at his defense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2019, 07:22:17 AM »
12.  Big East officials suck.  Nova walks on every possession.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2019, 07:23:42 AM »
Lazer

No struggle at all. Great win and they beat program that I hope is the standard they are chasing. I cannot thing of a negative with the win, the game or the season. Not sure how my previous post indicated any negativity or struggle on my part.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2019, 07:33:08 AM »
I just was able to watch the game.  I don't think Joey has sit some sort of wall.  He scored 21 at Xavier, which was two weeks ago, and has played three games since then.  That's not all that demanding.

What I see defenses doing is rushing him.  Running him off the three point line and making him put the ball on the floor.  He hasn't developed that part of his game enough yet.  Sam has similar problems.

And I don't think Jay Wright is mocking Sacar at all.  I think he was annoyed at his defense.

There's ample film on Joey now and he's part of the defensive gameplan.  He needs to continue to work hard and develop.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:48:39 AM by jsglow »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2019, 07:38:01 AM »
Another reason I don't think it's a wall is because his defense is still very good. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2019, 07:51:11 AM »
You don't know basketball, last game the play was not for Markus but it ended up being for him because of his fumble. Today it was either Sacar or him no other offensive threats. Would you have Sacar handling the ball and getting foul? Nope!
Thank you for your critique Mr. Know Basketball. BTW. Dont ask me a question and then answer it.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2019, 08:28:00 AM »
12.  Big East officials suck.  Nova walks on every possession.

The two whistles that bugged me were the calls on Brendan. One was a strip and the other straight up a phantom call.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2019, 08:50:48 AM »
I re-watched the game.

First half positives:

Markus Howard Scoring
General team defense
Limited mistakes

First half things to work on:
Joey Hauser struggled a lot in all phases all half, including the first 4 minutes.
Sam Hauser couldn’t guard Paschall. Many ppl can’t.

2nd half positives:
First 5 minutes, Sam and Sacar making plays on offense getting in the lane. Had Markus’ 3 gone in up 15 with building shaking (in and out) would have been 12 minute time out and trouble for VU. Instead Nova started getting scoring from ppl other than Paschall and Booth. 3 different players scored and their confidence skyrocketed rest of game.
Defensive rebounding limiting 2nd chances.

2nd half things to work on.....more mistakes with turnovers in a variety of ways. Markus can have his at times because of his elite scoring. Other guys can’t have that.  Sam still couldn’t guard Paschall. Would have liked to have seen more Bailey. Bailey misses his jumper and free throws long frequently, needs to get under the ball a little more for front rim.  Both Sam and Joey’s misses were very short, .....legs.

When Sam scored finally in 2nd half, Sacar went out of his way to encourage Sam’s confidence. Big 2nd half from Sacar.

Great win.  If Theo can pick and choose a little more when fouling to stay in game.....such a difference maker for lane drivers. Fouling both on a 30 foot 3 not ideal. 

Needed screen last offensive play with more space provided for Markus for more options.

Marquette doesn’t really have a wing defensive stopper. Limiting that as a team with team defense is important. 

It really helps Sam and Joey to get an earlier bucket to get going.

Respectfully disagree that defense wins championships. Balance will always win championships. And, balance can be achieved in a wide variety of ways.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2019, 08:53:10 AM »
I don't think Joey has sit some sort of wall.

While I think Joey may be hitting a bit of a wall (It has to be emotionally and physically draining at this point of the season). I think this is right on.  He is not getting as many open looks from deep and when he puts it on the floor he presses.  He is going to be amazing when he figures out how to slow down and not rush it as he moves into the paint. He already has the ability to get his own shot he just pushes a bit too hard. 

I am not sure about Sam having similar problems. Sam does this well. Once in a while he forces a bad one that he should kick back out but for the most part I think he has always been a patient player when run off the arc. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2019, 09:00:00 AM »

2nd half positives:
First 5 minutes, Sam and Sacar making plays on offense getting in the lane. Had Markus’ 3 gone in up 15 with building shaking (in and out) would have been 12 minute time out and trouble for VU. Instead Nova started getting scoring from ppl other than Paschall and Booth. 3 different players scored and their confidence skyrocketed rest of game.

IMHO, that missed 3 was the difference between a comfortable win and a nail-biter. Not that Nova would have given up - they still would have made a run or two - but the miss and Nova's quick 3s swung the momentum in a heartbeat. Eighteen points and momentum is awfully tough to overcome, even for a team like Nova.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2019, 09:11:42 AM »

IMHO, that missed 3 was the difference between a comfortable win and a nail-biter. Not that Nova would have given up - they still would have made a run or two - but the miss and Nova's quick 3s swung the momentum in a heartbeat. Eighteen points and momentum is awfully tough to overcome, even for a team like Nova.
Markus and Sam each had a clean look from 3 on the two possessions prior to the Markus iso TO.  At least one of those typically goes in, which also would have changed the game and probably forced Nova to start fouling MU.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2019, 09:59:48 AM »
`Nova is a great team and program but the best team won today period. Our bench stepped up, Marcus was Marcus and Sacar was the difference. I am not concerned about the Hausers. They will be there.

It blows my mind that, to this day, you call him MarCus.

Danny Noonan

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2019, 10:16:59 AM »

Yes, that would have been the nail in the coffin if Markus would have made that three.

I also thought that Theo's reaction after blocking Paschall's shot, (standing almost over / looking down on him on the floor), may have actually fired Nova up during their second half run. I love this enthusiasm and his role as a rim protector, but he needs to be careful in crucial situations as these days, it does not seem to take a whole lot to be assessed a technical foul.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2019, 10:24:54 AM »
Yes, that would have been the nail in the coffin if Markus would have made that three.

I also thought that Theo's reaction after blocking Paschall's shot, (standing almost over / looking down on him on the floor), may have actually fired Nova up during their second half run. I love this enthusiasm and his role as a rim protector, but he needs to be careful in crucial situations as these days, it does not seem to take a whole lot to be assessed a technical foul.

I couldn’t believe he wasn’t T’d up for his fifth there.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2019, 10:26:28 AM »
Paschal is a man’s basketball player....I was impressed seeing him in person
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »
I never said Markus shouldn’t be the one taking the shot but dribbling the ball for 30 seconds then creating a shot isn’t offense and we’re much better than having to resort to that
Ok, fair enough. I agree on this. Markus needs to stop cross dribble right in front of the defender.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2019, 10:48:59 AM »
Thank you for your critique Mr. Know Basketball. BTW. Dont ask me a question and then answer it.
Just trying to be helpful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »
Paschal is a man’s basketball player....I was impressed seeing him in person

I thought for the most part, Sam defended him really well. I remember at least three off balance shots where all I could think was "damn that was a tough shot."
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »

I totally agree that play fired Nova up and they fed off that spark
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2019, 11:45:34 AM »
Another reason I don't think it's a wall is because his defense is still very good.

Ilove Joey,  but he's the worst defensive starter by a lot.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2019, 04:27:30 PM »

Agree - plenty of guys get T'd up for less. Either way, the others here are right that that play seemed to fire up Nova....

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2019, 04:36:03 PM »

A lot of times, refs know they made a bad call, and will give the player a ton of rope in those situations.

feedback