Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: St. John's Game  (Read 17760 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: St. John's Game
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 03:21:36 PM »

Nah, they're gonna look past Duke to their big game.

Like I was saying....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 03:24:10 PM »
Hopefully SJU is still shellshocked from Zion dunking all over them
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2019, 08:43:45 AM »
I dont even care what he says if he could just shut the F up for a few seconds to let the pounding in my ears and brain subside.  Is this SOB gonna have to die before espn stops having him destroy bball games?  His sctick was old in 1983. And has just gotten worse.

And now we have imitators all over the place jumping out of their jocks.  That and the endless trite "big fella" comments.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 08:57:28 AM »
I dont even care what he says if he could just shut the F up for a few seconds to let the pounding in my ears and brain subside.  Is this SOB gonna have to die before espn stops having him destroy bball games?  His sctick was old in 1983. And has just gotten worse.
Totally disagree. While Vitale may lack the analytical take we all crave now, that guy played a major role in the surge in popularity of college b-ball. I LOVED listening to him growing up. His energy was infectious and he kept me super engaged as I’m sure he did with several other young viewers. I know he hasn’t really evolved with the game, but let’s not disparage him like this (a) because of his importance to the game up until this point and (b) he’s a human being. I’ll enjoy him until his last game knowing I can pull a thousand articles up after and before the game that delve into the weeds.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:00:32 AM by Windyplayer »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 09:03:31 AM »
I'm sorry but I'm not going to pretend to enjoy Vitale just because of what he did in the past. In the past he was also quite with it as an analyst with good points of view mixed in with the energy.  Now he just praises his friends, makes canned points and shouts unnecessarily.  I'm sure ESPN is keeping him on because he does draw some viewers and doesn't want the backlash of letting him go and that's fine, but he is so far from what he was that it just distracts from the game.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »
I'm sorry but I'm not going to pretend to enjoy Vitale just because of what he did in the past. In the past he was also quite with it as an analyst with good points of view mixed in with the energy.  Now he just praises his friends, makes canned points and shouts unnecessarily.  I'm sure ESPN is keeping him on because he does draw some viewers and doesn't want the backlash of letting him go and that's fine, but he is so far from what he was that it just distracts from the game.
Fair enough. You shouldn’t pretend.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2019, 10:11:11 AM »
Well ive been listening to Vitale since 1982? When he started at ESPN i was younger and thought his schtick was also good for the game and i had no real issues with him while many of my friends hated him as he talked over the game.  He became very famous and had all his catch phrases which is all fine and well.  The problem with him is he began to belive that any phrase he said once or twice a game and became well known was then all that much better if he said it 30 times a game. Or over n over n over again.  Additionally instead of preparing for games he just showed up and blurted catchnphrases over n over again. 
Good for him and good for his family that he has been so financially successful.  A true american success story there is no doubting that.
My personal opinion is he is insufferable and greatly distracts from the game.  First vitale game that i have watched in a very long time and he was even more horrible than i remembered. Ruined the game for me, i was looking for a duke or sju tuned in broadcast to sync
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2019, 10:36:20 AM »
Well ive been listening to Vitale since 1982? When he started at ESPN i was younger and thought his schtick was also good for the game and i had no real issues with him while many of my friends hated him as he talked over the game.  He became very famous and had all his catch phrases which is all fine and well.  The problem with him is he began to belive that any phrase he said once or twice a game and became well known was then all that much better if he said it 30 times a game. Or over n over n over again.  Additionally instead of preparing for games he just showed up and blurted catchnphrases over n over again. 
Good for him and good for his family that he has been so financially successful.  A true american success story there is no doubting that.
My personal opinion is he is insufferable and greatly distracts from the game.  First vitale game that i have watched in a very long time and he was even more horrible than i remembered. Ruined the game for me, i was looking for a duke or sju tuned in broadcast to sync
Points well taken. And to be honest, I haven't sat through a Vitale broadcast for quite some time due largely to not having time or no interest in the teams. Perhaps, it has become insufferable. Allow me to rephrase - I will make it a point to watch his last telecast because of what he's done for the game and for nostalgia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2019, 11:34:19 AM »
In the past he was also quite with it as an analyst with good points of view mixed in with the energy.

He came across this way, but it wasn't true. I remember talking to someone who worked behind the scenes for ESPN. One day Vitale comes into the studio and says "hey, tell me about ________!"

It was some mid-major school. So the guy does some quick research and gets the name of their star player and a couple stats. Vitale goes on camera and dives into his schtick. "Oh baby, watch out for _________! I love these guys, they space you out and shoot the lights out. As a team they hit XX from three and can make life tough for any of the big boys. And don't forget *Star Player Name*, he's a diaper dandy as good as anyone in the country. They could be taking someone to upset city, baby!"

Don't get me wrong, he made the sport accessible and exciting to the casual fan, but he didn't possess nearly the breadth of knowledge he espoused. That he didn't end up actually calling games for those teams in the tourney kept him from getting exposed on the fly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2019, 01:43:05 PM »
He came across this way, but it wasn't true. I remember talking to someone who worked behind the scenes for ESPN. One day Vitale comes into the studio and says "hey, tell me about ________!"

It was some mid-major school. So the guy does some quick research and gets the name of their star player and a couple stats. Vitale goes on camera and dives into his schtick. "Oh baby, watch out for _________! I love these guys, they space you out and shoot the lights out. As a team they hit XX from three and can make life tough for any of the big boys. And don't forget *Star Player Name*, he's a diaper dandy as good as anyone in the country. They could be taking someone to upset city, baby!"

Don't get me wrong, he made the sport accessible and exciting to the casual fan, but he didn't possess nearly the breadth of knowledge he espoused. That he didn't end up actually calling games for those teams in the tourney kept him from getting exposed on the fly.

Given the number of teams he covers, there is no way he could be up to date on as many schools as he sees.

That's why God invented producers and researchers, which means there are some jobs for wannabe sportscasters and writers. Which means there is a reason for Journalism schools.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »
a friend and I had a conversation with Dickie at his breakfast place on Siesta Key, mentioned we were MU alums and he had to remind us that he (Detroit) beat us at the Arena in '77.  I then told him I was at the game, watched him dance at middle court after the win and that it was probably the biggest win of his college coaching career.
He became an imitator of Al, using funny expressions for players, etc, but not nearly as clever.  I never could tolerate his screaming to be noticed and have looked forward to games without him.

romey

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2019, 02:28:47 PM »
a friend and I had a conversation with Dickie at his breakfast place on Siesta Key, mentioned we were MU alums and he had to remind us that he (Detroit) beat us at the Arena in '77.  I then told him I was at the game, watched him dance at middle court after the win and that it was probably the biggest win of his college coaching career.
He became an imitator of Al, using funny expressions for players, etc, but not nearly as clever.  I never could tolerate his screaming to be noticed and have looked forward to games without him.
You beat me to it.  He took advantage of the door Al opened as an announcer.  Al was quirky, clever and genuine.  Dickie V just became irritating because it seemed fake/staged.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2019, 03:27:03 PM »
Dickie V = unwatchable. I actually mute the TV if I'm watching an ESPN game he's broadcasting.

The justification that there are too many teams for him to learn about ... Jay Bilas does it, and so do other good analysts. It's their effen job.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2019, 03:53:59 PM »

I agree Augie, I always thought he tried to imitate Al and did a poor job of it.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2019, 04:13:02 PM »
Totally disagree. While Vitale may lack the analytical take we all crave now, that guy played a major role in the surge in popularity of college b-ball. I LOVED listening to him growing up. His energy was infectious and he kept me super engaged as I’m sure he did with several other young viewers. I know he hasn’t really evolved with the game, but let’s not disparage him like this (a) because of his importance to the game up until this point and (b) he’s a human being. I’ll enjoy him until his last game knowing I can pull a thousand articles up after and before the game that delve into the weeds.

Well said. I used to think he was a phony....until I met him at the Broken Egg down in the Sarasota FL area. He is truly passionate and full of life, and a decent human being. Make no mistake, he knows he is a stage act. His bosses want him yapping at full speed about only the blue bloods (he told me as much) but he loves Marquette.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2019, 04:20:47 PM »
Well said. I used to think he was a phony....until I met him at the Broken Egg down in the Sarasota FL area. He is truly passionate and full of life, and a decent human being. Make no mistake, he knows he is a stage act. His bosses want him yapping at full speed about only the blue bloods (he told me as much) but he loves Marquette.

I have met him and talked with him, and to the best of my knowledge he is a nice guy. I have heard other stories similar to yours -- that he is good to the "regular folks."

But I still can't stand listening to him as an analyst.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2019, 04:23:22 PM »
Love how Vitale always..always..gushes all over K, like a golden shower!
Love how he said Zion will be a good 3 point shooter because he wants to be one

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2019, 05:11:41 PM »
I was the Eagle for the 2006 CBE game against Duke. Vitale was calling the game and they wanted me in the background for one of the shots. Vitale was just a normal guy speaking in a normal voice during the breaks until those lights went on and he turned it up to 100. If he just was his normal self I think he wouldn’t be bad. But I guess that’s not what ESPN pays him for.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2019, 06:54:21 PM »
I was the Eagle for the 2006 CBE game against Duke. Vitale was calling the game and they wanted me in the background for one of the shots. Vitale was just a normal guy speaking in a normal voice during the breaks until those lights went on and he turned it up to 100. If he just was his normal self I think he wouldn’t be bad. But I guess that’s not what ESPN pays him for.

If you go way back in his early ESPN days, he didn’t project his voice and energy. He did games straight up. Been a long time.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2019, 07:57:30 PM »

AND YOU WERE THE BEST EAGLE EVER!

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2019, 09:02:57 PM »
That's why there is a volume button on the TV- to turn OFF the volume when VITALE does a game-any game

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2019, 09:38:58 PM »
I agree Augie, I always thought he tried to imitate Al and did a poor job of it.

Yep, poor man's Al, Al wannabe. Al never talked about being pals with Ray Meyer, Dean Smith, etc., etc., but the love and respect his coaching contemporaries had for him was clear. Dickie V, on the other hand, was a name dropper extraordinaire. Seemed a bit insecure (as a lot of the loudest ones are), almost felt sorry for him.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2019, 08:16:37 AM »
And at any MU game he does, he mentions the fact that Detroit, which he coached, beat Al and MU. Repeatedly.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2019, 02:42:28 PM »
MU opens  minus 7.5

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2019, 03:01:12 PM »
Dickie V = unwatchable. I actually mute the TV if I'm watching an ESPN game he's broadcasting.

Totally agree. I'd forgotten how tired I'd gotten of his act since I so seldom watch ESPN games anymore. I hit mute after about five minutes of the Duke/St. John's game on Saturday.