Lakers Going After Hurley by Hards Alumni
[Today at 05:06:39 PM]

Oso (and Stevie) by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:42:16 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 01:56:13 PM]

2024-25 Roster by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:28:48 PM]

New 2024 Committment According to Ben Steele: Joshua Clark by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 01:11:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus > Zion  (Read 10001 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Markus > Zion
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:06:29 PM »
Markus continues to prove he is worthy of National Player of the Year.

Zion is an impressive physical specimen but he has a huge safety net in that his team is loaded.

Markus needs to step up every game without the same type of supporting cast and yet he delivers big time.

So to my way of thinking Markus > Zion.

Discuss.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:44:18 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

LoudMouth

• All American
Re: Markus > Zion
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 11:09:34 PM »
Joey is a top 20 three point shooter and Sam is close to him. Also some of the best free throw shooters in conference/country. Big men down low that clean up any defensive mistakes. I’d say Markus has a damn good supporting cast

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 02:50:34 AM »
Yeah we need him every game. The goose egg in 3min vs Georgetown really helped us. Not slighting Markus only saying there's a solid cast around him
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 05:24:27 AM »
Yeah we need him every game. The goose egg in 3min vs Georgetown really helped us. Not slighting Markus only saying there's a solid cast around him

We won a putrid slopfest against a very bad team. Dont get me wrong there was a beauty in it.  But unlike last night when Markus went out, Chartouney didnt show up and it was ugly.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 05:41:13 AM »
We won a putrid slopfest against a very bad team. Dont get me wrong there was a beauty in it.  But unlike last night when Markus went out, Chartouney didnt show up and it was ugly.

putrid slopfest or not, a W is a W and Markus wasn't needed for it. The statement wasn't "we need him to win beautifully"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 05:50:50 AM »
My only point is the supporting cast around Markus is solid but not great.  To the OPs point Duke goes into Georgetown without Zion n blows their doors off.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 06:29:43 AM »
My only point is the supporting cast around Markus is solid but not great.  To the OPs point Duke goes into Georgetown without Zion n blows their doors off.

Sam, Joey, and Theo are just “solid” at what they do?

Not sure about that.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 06:42:05 AM »
I am not saying Sam, Joey, and Theo are NBA players.  But every one of them has a good chance of playing in the NBA.  That is a darn good "supporting cast."

I will allow that after the top 4, there is a drop-off compared to Duke (or Kentucky, Kansas, and other blue bloods), but that is to be expected at this point in the program's development.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 06:45:12 AM »
But I do agree Markus is better than Zion.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 06:45:47 AM »
I am not saying Sam, Joey, and Theo are NBA players.  But every one of them has a good chance of playing in the NBA.  That is a darn good "supporting cast."

I will allow that after the top 4, there is a drop-off compared to Duke (or Kentucky, Kansas, and other blue bloods), but that is to be expected at this point in the program's development.

Theo has zero shot of the NBA. He's like 6-9, that'd make him a PF in the NBA and not even a tall one. The days of back to the basket power forwards are long gone with the expectation being that you can stretch the floor. Theo is a good center for college basketball but not an NBA player in this era.
Maigh Eo for Sam

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 06:57:32 AM »
Theo has zero shot of the NBA. He's like 6-9, that'd make him a PF in the NBA and not even a tall one. The days of back to the basket power forwards are long gone with the expectation being that you can stretch the floor. Theo is a good center for college basketball but not an NBA player in this era.
I don’t agree with this.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 06:57:38 AM »
Brother Hermie, let's not get carried away here!

I don't see enough basketball to compare POY candidates. I see enough to know Markus is someone special and the spark plug that fires our team. He arguably is in the same class as Butch Lee, DWade and the Dream in our history. And I'm a Codger Scooper -- I've seen 'em all.

Just don't think he's a POY but I hope I'm wrong.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 07:16:37 AM »
I don’t agree with this.

What aspect? That he can't play center in the nba or that he can't play PF in the NBA or that you need to stretch the floor as a PF in the nba now?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 07:49:24 AM »
A 6-9 guy with 2-foot shooting range? Theo might have had a chance to be an NBA team's 15th man 25 years ago, but not in today's league. I say that not to disparage Theo at all. College ball is filled with fine players who don't quite have the skill package necessary to play in the NBA. Hell, some top-5 draft picks can't make it. Markus might not make it. I am 99.9% sure that Theo won't make it.

As for the subject of this thread, POY is in great part hype-driven. And for all the pub Markus has received for his 53-point game and other big games, Zion is Zion. He had a leg up on POY before Duke Madness in October, and has done nothing but meet expectations for an outstanding team. Don't forget that the vote is taken before the tournament, too, so it's not as if a Kemba-like NCAA run could lift Markus further. Hard to imagine any player whose name begins with anything but Z winning the award.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 07:53:34 AM »
Markus has two things that will keep him from the NPOY.

ESPN and Duke.

Those are impossible things to overcome.  Zion had the hype back in November and Markus has just started getting some pub the last month.  Markus is on FS1 and Duke is on ESPN all the time.

If NCAA BB had an awards show for the NPOY like the Heisman, I think Markus would be invited to the Downtown Athletic Club, but Zion wrapped up the award with his 360 breakaway dunk a couple weeks back.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 07:58:05 AM »

I don't think it was a putrid slopfest at all. We started poorly and Butler is a mediocre (to be kind) team, so it was 9-7 midway through the first half.

We started making shots and taking care of the ball, and the better team eventually turned it into a laugher. I came away impressed with one team, and it wasn't the putrid one.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 08:01:00 AM »
I don't think it was a putrid slopfest at all. We started poorly and Butler is a mediocre (to be kind) team, so it was 9-7 midway through the first half.

We started making shots and taking care of the ball, and the better team eventually turned it into a laugher. I came away impressed with one team, and it wasn't the putrid one.

He referred to gtown game as a putrid slopfest. Not last night.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 08:16:29 AM »
On a side note, all I can really say is...Oh Myron

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/woodenwatch013119/watch-ethan-happ

OK. I can also say Happ is on a torrid scoring pace over the last three games

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 08:18:48 AM »

If he can practice and hit a corner 3 he could play for 10 years.  Not saying that's gonna happen, but its not as crazy as it sounds, really all he would need to get drafted.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »
He referred to gtown game as a putrid slopfest. Not last night.

My bad.

Sand-Knit: My bad.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 08:25:52 AM »
If he can practice and hit a corner 3 he could play for 10 years.  Not saying that's gonna happen, but its not as crazy as it sounds, really all he would need to get drafted.

would need to show the ability to put it on the floor and drive from the wing when that look isn't there, and guard a stretch 4 on the wing as well, I'm not saying it's impossible but I'd be willing to bet a fancy bottle of scotch or beer that it doesn't happen.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 08:30:49 AM »
Zion has the hype machine.  Theo won't play in the league without a jump shot.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 08:35:53 AM »
On a side note, all I can really say is...Oh Myron

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/woodenwatch013119/watch-ethan-happ

The best he can say about Markus is that he’s scored over 23 points in his last four games?  Or maybe he won’t print Markus’s scoring average or FT average because both are higher than his “contenders.”
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »
Myron gonna Myron
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 09:23:39 AM »
I read this article and kept wondering if Benny wrote it pretending to be Myron.

feedback