[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Travel help sought  (Read 16431 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Travel help sought
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
Is it that your friend can't fly or can't travel. If its the former check out Am Track to Oregon.

It's "Amtrak" and you'll get there just in time to go back, if you are lucky. The closest Amtrak serves to Bend is Portland and that's a 2.8 hour drive away. Trust me, I know. I've done it. Through I will admit, parts of the ride through the mountains are nice.

As a former Amtrak professional, the railroad is horrible and cares little about its "guests." If you want a real rail experience, go to Canada. Amtrak is what happens when you let the government invade the private sector.

Still think Fall Creek Falls in Tennessee is your answer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2019, 10:41:54 AM »
It's "Amtrak" and you'll get there just in time to go back, if you are lucky. The closest Amtrak serves to Bend is Portland and that's a 2.8 hour drive away. Trust me, I know. I've done it. Through I will admit, parts of the ride through the mountains are nice.

As a former Amtrak professional, the railroad is horrible and cares little about its "guests." If you want a real rail experience, go to Canada. Amtrak is what happens when you let the government invade the private sector.

Still think Fall Creek Falls in Tennessee is your answer.

I'm quite positive Amtrak will not be the mode of choice.

I will look into Fall Creek Falls if we decide to not do Bend. Thanks for the suggestion.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

reinko

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2019, 11:57:44 AM »
I'm quite positive Amtrak will not be the mode of choice.

I will look into Fall Creek Falls if we decide to not do Bend. Thanks for the suggestion.

What an $800, 48 hour one-way train trip not your cup of tea?

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2019, 07:35:24 PM »
What an $800, 48 hour one-way train trip not your cup of tea?

$800?!?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2019, 08:32:05 PM »
$800?!?

If you want a sleeping berth, yeah.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2019, 10:26:00 PM »
How would I have any clue if 82 would accept it, or not? 

I’m hoping he does accept my offer.

Oh, you’ll live to regret those words.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2019, 10:29:22 PM »
Oh, you’ll live to regret those words.

You know better than most, Benny.

You offered me an extra ticket to our NCAA tourney game a couple years back and have lived to regret it every day since, right?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2019, 11:00:20 PM »
If you want a sleeping berth, yeah.

That's probably a single with a bunk bed. Communal bathroom and medioocre food. Make sure you bring your own wine. Amtrak selection is poor.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2019, 11:20:30 AM »
That's probably a single with a bunk bed. Communal bathroom and medioocre food. Make sure you bring your own wine. Amtrak selection is poor.

Yep. Called a roomette.  Amtrak isn't for transportation. It's to see the scenery go by. I've heard good things about Canadian rail.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2019, 11:39:18 AM »

You offered me an extra ticket to our NCAA tourney game a couple years back and have lived to regret it every day since, right?

Well... not every day.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2019, 01:44:32 PM »
Well... not every day.

I forgot that one day in May 2018 that you slept through. Sorry. Won't happen again.

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2019, 04:05:08 PM »

You should accept the free flight offer. How many chances are you going to get to be flown in a private plane; unless you’re a multi-millionaire?  Go for it 82!!!

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2019, 08:15:05 PM »
You should accept the free flight offer. How many chances are you going to get to be flown in a private plane; unless you’re a multi-millionaire?  Go for it 82!!!

I am guessing the offer is all 172 and zero G V.

I have to believe there is nothing more agonizing than clawing through the air at 120 knots below Angels 8 decimal zero in all that dog sh1t weather. No thank you.

I'd rather cram into a Silver Dog with the hoi polloi than subject myself to a mind numbing ride in a one lung fly swatter.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2019, 11:34:18 PM »

The company I worked for in the "aughts" had a private jet and I got to fly in it twice from Peoria to Borrego Springs, Calif. I have to say it was a wonderful experience compared to commercial travel.

Again, one member of our traveling party might not be able to fly in July. That's the reason I started this thread, because the trip we're planning to Bend, Ore., might not be able to happen. So it makes little sense to take pilot up on his very generous offer this time. In the future, it sounds like a winning idea!

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2019, 09:11:37 PM »

I have to believe there is nothing more agonizing than clawing through the air at 120 knots below Angels 8 decimal zero in all that dog sh1t weather. No thank you.

I'd rather cram into a Silver Dog with the hoi polloi than subject myself to a mind numbing ride in a one lung fly swatter.

What???

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2019, 09:14:15 PM »
The company I worked for in the "aughts" had a private jet and I got to fly in it twice from Peoria to Borrego Springs, Calif. I have to say it was a wonderful experience compared to commercial travel.

Again, one member of our traveling party might not be able to fly in July. That's the reason I started this thread, because the trip we're planning to Bend, Ore., might not be able to happen. So it makes little sense to take pilot up on his very generous offer this time. In the future, it sounds like a winning idea!

Do you and mupilot know each other irl?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2019, 10:01:54 PM »
Do you and mupilot know each other irl?

We do not ... except to have an occasional exchange on Scoop.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2019, 10:50:18 PM »

It would be in a G5 cirrus SR22 Turbo.  I fly to traverse city quite often in the summer, and from Milwaukee it takes 30 minutes to get there.

Even if it was in a 172, that’s still much faster then driving 6 hours around the lake.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2019, 02:19:57 AM »
It would be in a G5 cirrus SR22 Turbo.  I fly to traverse city quite often in the summer, and from Milwaukee it takes 30 minutes to get there.

Even if it was in a 172, that’s still much faster then driving 6 hours around the lake.

I really don't fly anything that light.  I also don't like to fly dirty. The issue for me with the Cirrus is that it's porpoise aerodynamics and fixed gear limit velocity to under 180 kts and range to less than two hours at max cruise.

I read they beefed up the spar to increase payload so it might now be able to reach three hours flight time with the added reserves. Getting the Turbo, btw, is definitely the right call.

If I am flying GA then my go to is the Eclipse 550. It cruises at 400 kts at Angels 43 so if I file airways I am safely above all the comm air traffic. The Eclipse also has a glass cockpit and features an all weather HUD which is particularly nice at night. Because it can get so high it sips fuel on max conserve at altitude which makes Seattle to Denver doable on one tank in under 3 hours. 

If I have to fly piston then it's the King Air. Some designs are classic and the King Air is one of those. The King Air belongs up there with the Spitfire, F 4 Phantom, Constellation, and the Mustang as among the finest designs ever. 

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2019, 09:16:04 AM »
I really don't fly anything that light.  I also don't like to fly dirty. The issue for me with the Cirrus is that it's porpoise aerodynamics and fixed gear limit velocity to under 180 kts and range to less than two hours at max cruise.

I read they beefed up the spar to increase payload so it might now be able to reach three hours flight time with the added reserves. Getting the Turbo, btw, is definitely the right call.

If I am flying GA then my go to is the Eclipse 550. It cruises at 400 kts at Angels 43 so if I file airways I am safely above all the comm air traffic. The Eclipse also has a glass cockpit and features an all weather HUD which is particularly nice at night. Because it can get so high it sips fuel on max conserve at altitude which makes Seattle to Denver doable on one tank in under 3 hours. 

If I have to fly piston then it's the King Air. Some designs are classic and the King Air is one of those. The King Air belongs up there with the Spitfire, F 4 Phantom, Constellation, and the Mustang as among the finest designs ever.

Are you an airline pilot?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2019, 10:27:55 AM »

Nah... just a Scooper who's decided on a new screenname.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2019, 10:55:19 AM »

An old air force jock doc.

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2019, 11:25:24 AM »
Nah... just a Scooper who's decided on a new screenname.

Stunt pilot?

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2019, 12:31:05 PM »
An old air force jock doc.

State of mind, Glow

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2019, 03:18:12 PM »

A friend of mine has a place on a lake in Burlington Vermont, and I can make it there one way from Milwaukee.  (Granted it’s brutal sitting in the plane for about 4 hours) but I’ve done it numerous times.  Flying back to the east the plane can’t quite make it.  I stop in Lansing, get some juice and keep chugging along.

The newer G5 models have a 200lb MTOW limit which is super helpful. 3600lbs instead of 3400 makes all the difference   

I agree, the cirrus has a lot of limitations.  But for what I use it for, it’s a great plane.  Easy to see how it’s dubbed the “dr killer”.