[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cold  (Read 15679 times)

tower912

• All American
Cold
« on: January 26, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »
I remember weekends at MU during 86-87-88 where it never got above zero with windchills under the former scale reaching -40.   I went to the bars anyway.      In 1994, the last time we had several days in a row on this side of the lake where it did not get above zero, I spent two of those days riding an old school tailboard on a fire engine with wet gear returning from fires.     The coldest I have ever been.    Eyelashes freezing shut when I blinked.   

What is the coldest you remember being and what are your plans for this week?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
Re: Cold
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 08:16:42 PM »
Tower

Jan 17, 1982 was the coldest day in MKE history at -26 and windchills somewhere around-60-65. I spent the early evening at MU game, I believe against X, and then the next six hours at Art’s Performing Center. I highly recommend anyone under the age of 55 to do the same this week.
FYI the minus -26 was tied in ‘96 and I had my ass on the couch with my four kids. Now my kids are all grown, if we have a chance to break the record, I will be out on the town.

EDIT— MU played Creighton on 16th and record cold was broken after midnight on the 17th. I experienced most that could be experienced on that historic night.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:27:11 PM by Goose »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 08:48:07 PM »
I'm going to go with February of 1996. I just remember it being brutally cold with the most miserable windchills, tried to go to the mailbox and felt like I was going to freeze in place.

Wasn't as cold where I lived, but it is when the coldest temperature (-55 without the windchill) was recorded in the state of Wisconsin.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:18:58 PM »
Jan 17, 1982 was the coldest day in MKE history at -26 and windchills somewhere around-60-65. I spent the early evening at MU game, I believe against X, and then the next six hours at Art’s Performing Center. I highly recommend anyone under the age of 55 to do the same this week.
FYI the minus -26 was tied in ‘96 and I had my ass on the couch with my four kids. Now my kids are all grown, if we have a chance to break the record, I will be out on the town.

EDIT— MU played Creighton on 16th and record cold was broken after midnight on the 17th. I experienced most that could be experienced on that historic night.

Damn, Goose, I musta been at that game with you. I can't remember that much.

One winter when we lived in the Twin Cities, I think it was a stretch of something like 30 straight days that the temp did not break 0. When the stretch finally ended -- it got all the way up to 20 degrees! -- folks were running around in short sleeves.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 10:30:53 PM »
Wuzz woderin' wy MKE had a record number of births on Octber 17, 1982, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 01:57:54 AM »
Taking the battery out of the old 55' Chevey convertable into Schroeder at night.  The snow sweaked, the clothes crinkled like paper, the Milwaukee Journal would show the sun on the front page when it appeared.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 05:27:45 AM »
Tower

My childhood neighbor got married that night in New Berlin and I went to that rather than the game.  I headed to the Gym after the wedding.  Cold, cold, cold.

BTW the marriage turned out to be as cold as the night and lasted about 3 months.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 07:38:52 AM »
Archie

I was at The Gym pre game. It was big time cold. I ended up waiting a couple of hours for a cab from George Webb’s on Jefferson and Wells at 3am.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 07:54:00 AM »
It's only -44 in I-Falls right now....with fog too.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 09:04:10 AM »
As a Midwestern seasonal ex-pat, I sometimes miss winter in Chicago.

But today, I understand.

We're going to get about the same level of precipitation as Chicago and Milwaukee here on the Treasure Coast.

Our's will be in the form of liquid drops.

Milwaukee's will be in the form of crystals -- lots and lots of them.

Our temperature will be, with the wind chill, 62, tomorrow. MIlwaukee's will be -62 (or thereabouts).

Enough said.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 09:17:05 AM »
Archie

I was at The Gym pre game. It was big time cold. I ended up waiting a couple of hours for a cab from George Webb’s on Jefferson and Wells at 3am.

Goose:

We likely crossed paths at The Gym, although I also split my time with the Lanche.

Just watched the weather channel.  I feel for you folks in the Midwest.  It gets cold here in Virginia, but nothing like what you will see over the next few days.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 09:22:38 AM »
As a Midwestern seasonal ex-pat, I sometimes miss winter in Chicago.

But today, I understand.

We're going to get about the same level of precipitation as Chicago and Milwaukee here on the Treasure Coast.

Our's will be in the form of liquid drops.

Milwaukee's will be in the form of crystals -- lots and lots of them.

Our temperature will be, with the wind chill, 62, tomorrow. MIlwaukee's will be -62 (or thereabouts).

Enough said.

I do not miss the winters, wouldn't care if I never saw another snowflake.

That being said, I often say stuff like this to my wife: "If we had to, or if our son has kids and we want to be closer to them, we could move back to Chicago."

And I do really mean that. But when we were in Chicago and Milwaukee for the last 2 MU games and to visit family/friends, I was cold the whole time. Especially the walk from the parking lot to that Providence game ... my eyelashes practically froze. That was effen cold, and I'm not sure I'd want to deal with that again.

Maybe in 5-6 years after my wife retires, but only if we also can go somewhere warm for a huge chunk of the winter.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 09:23:26 AM »
Archie
I spent my days at The Lanche and evenings at The Gym. No doubt we crossed paths at some point.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »
My routines were similar.  After Sophomore year, I realized I realized I needed to significantly improve my academic performance.  Sunday through Wednesday, I'd religiously go to the library about 5pm, then around 10pm stop at the Lanche on the way home for a few beers and some pool.

Thursday was the same, but the final destination was The Gym since Thursday was pitcher night.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 09:59:32 AM »
I remember weekends at MU during 86-87-88 where it never got above zero with windchills under the former scale reaching -40.   I went to the bars anyway.      In 1994, the last time we had several days in a row on this side of the lake where it did not get above zero, I spent two of those days riding an old school tailboard on a fire engine with wet gear returning from fires.     The coldest I have ever been.    Eyelashes freezing shut when I blinked.   

What is the coldest you remember being and what are your plans for this week?

Three memories come to mind...

First at Marquette, it was -12 with a far lower windchill and classes didn't get cancelled. I was living off campus, and the walk from my car on State Street to Lalu was brutal.

Second, a fire where we were sent in to do mop-up duty in an attic. Only like -5, but the roof had been stripped and when we got up there, someone had shut off the hose so the water froze in the hose in the backyard. We were already wet and had to stand around waiting in this attic with no roof as the wind ripped through us for 20 minutes while another company deployed a second line to us. And honestly, all we were doing was spraying water at the steam that was rising from the water we had already put in the building. That was the longest 20 minutes of my life, waiting for that damn redeployed line.

Third was me avoiding cold. I was on the busiest MED unit in the state and it was -17. No one wanted to go outside, we took 3 calls all day and only 1 after midnight at a rig that averaged 14 and regularly got into the mid-20s. The engine had a fire that night and when they got back, the probationer's helmet had a half-inch layer of ice frozen all around. I was never so glad to be on the MED unit in my life. Today feels like another one of those days.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 11:24:02 AM »
My coldest time was on Mille Lacs. Got down to -32. Four of us got food poisoning that night from a restaurant in town. Awesome.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 01:19:19 PM »
My coldest time was on Mille Lacs. Got down to -32. Four of us got food poisoning that night from a restaurant in town. Awesome.

Brother Chili, you have been out in the cold way, way too long!!!!!!

Try Florida next time!

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 02:22:27 PM »
Taking the battery out of the old 55' Chevey convertable into Schroeder at night.  The snow sweaked, the clothes crinkled like paper, the Milwaukee Journal would show the sun on the front page when it appeared.

That's one long Chevy!

(yes I know it's a 57)

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 11:26:36 AM »
Stuck on a chairlift at Vail in 2014. -2 degrees without factoring in the wind, which whipped like the bone-shaking tempest it was. Just as my chair cusped over the lip of a wide open bowl, where the frozen wind swooshed into the valley, the chair stopped. For 20 minutes.

I never thought it possible to feel colder than the night I spent in a tragically thin tent at Everest Base Camp, but that day at Vail instructed otherwise.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 12:42:38 PM »
That's one long Chevy!

(yes I know it's a 57)

Without rust over the headlamps.  Ahhh, when cars were cars and men were men.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 01:40:21 PM »

One winter when we lived in the Twin Cities, I think it was a stretch of something like 30 straight days that the temp did not break 0. When the stretch finally ended -- it got all the way up to 20 degrees! -- folks were running around in short sleeves.

Sounds like the winter that I moved to MN, IIRC that was early 1988. Luckily I had heated parking and lived across the street from the office (and had a grocery and a liquor store right there) in S. St. Paul.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 02:22:50 PM »
Sounds like the winter that I moved to MN, IIRC that was early 1988. Luckily I had heated parking and lived across the street from the office (and had a grocery and a liquor store right there) in S. St. Paul.

Sounds about right, WJ.

Another "winter" when we lived there, we had 30+ inches of snow on Halloween!

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 09:16:27 AM »
Be careful.  No reason to be outside for very long.  My daughter said the school will send an email out tomorrow at 5:30am if classes are canceled.  About -15 windchill here at the moment, up at MU it is -19.  Tomorrow will be a temperature she has never felt in her life.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 10:28:00 PM »
Closed until Thursday at noon. All the universities in Chicago are closed as well.  It’s the right call.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2019, 08:04:48 AM »
Dumb luck, but I just happened to plan one of my escapes from Wisconsin for this week, down in Az and just realized that there is about a 100 degree difference between here(mid 70’s) and you guys(minus 20’s, not counting the windchill ).

And the earth....has a fever???  😉. 😳. 😁
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback