[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cold  (Read 15720 times)

LON

• All American
Re: Cold
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 08:28:47 AM »
Dumb luck, but I just happened to plan one of my escapes from Wisconsin for this week, down in Az and just realized that there is about a 100 degree difference between here(mid 70’s) and you guys(minus 20’s, not counting the windchill ).

And the earth....has a fever???  😉. 😳. 😁

Climate and weather are not the same thing.  Be smarter.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 08:46:16 AM »
Dumb luck, but I just happened to plan one of my escapes from Wisconsin for this week, down in Az and just realized that there is about a 100 degree difference between here(mid 70’s) and you guys(minus 20’s, not counting the windchill ).

And the earth....has a fever???  😉. 😳. 😁

So you, too, are going on record and saying global warming is fake news?  And a cold couple days is your proof?

If we get a couple days in a row of 110 in Wisconsin in August will you then give in and say global warming is a thing?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 08:51:37 AM »
So you, too, are going on record and saying global warming is fake news?  And a cold couple days is your proof?

If we get a couple days in a row of 110 in Wisconsin in August will you then give in and say global warming is a thing?

Yup

Nope

don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »
On this side of the lake, it is only -5, but we have received nearly 2 feet of snow since Monday, the last foot of it being pure Michigan lake effect.      Do you prefer the insane, once in a lifetime cold with less snow, or would you prefer mere bone chilling cold with a whole bunch of snow?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 09:00:36 AM »
On this side of the lake, it is only -5, but we have received nearly 2 feet of snow since Monday, the last foot of it being pure Michigan lake effect.      Do you prefer the insane, once in a lifetime cold with less snow, or would you prefer mere bone chilling cold with a whole bunch of snow?

I'd take the snow any day of the week. Plenty of fun to have with a few feet of snow and 30 degrees. You lose both of your feet with no snow and -20 degrees.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2019, 09:01:44 AM »
Closed until Thursday at noon. All the universities in Chicago are closed as well.  It’s the right call.

Doesn't stop me from going to the Nova/DePaul game tonight...at least they offered free indoor parking  ;D

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 09:23:28 AM »

I deal with every other week when I drive from our Chicago to offices to our cider farm in Fennville. Whenever it's crazy cold in Chicago we all know it's lake effect time in Michigan - which sucks. Especially since the state has something against using salt on the interstate - specifically 196 becomes crazy.
But I like to throw handfuls...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2019, 09:28:09 AM »
Made it's way to us here in Cleveland overnight.  It's currently -2 /-32.  Brrrrrrr

Just hoping to avoid any problems with the pipes.  We've got every faucet in the house drip, drip, dripping.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2019, 10:08:14 AM »
Talked to someone in St. Louis this morning who was complaining about -21 wind chill.

We are making ice!

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 10:40:24 AM »

Rocket serves as consistent proof that we're observing the last days of Rome.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2019, 10:51:08 AM »
I deal with every other week when I drive from our Chicago to offices to our cider farm in Fennville. Whenever it's crazy cold in Chicago we all know it's lake effect time in Michigan - which sucks. Especially since the state has something against using salt on the interstate - specifically 196 becomes crazy.
Love that ride.  I've done that lake effect nightmare too many times.  FYI, salt doesn't work below about 10f.
My brother worked at that cider farm a couple of years ago, I think.  Virtue Cider?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:37:55 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »
Chilly here in NC today, too.

Why it might get all the way down to 40!

Thank goodness global warming isn't real, or it would be 140 here.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
Rocket serves as consistent proof that we're observing the last days of Rome.

Many other things that could be a sign of the last days of Rome buddy, da climate ain’t in the top 10 but go ahead and suck yer drinks thru a paper straw outta a paper mache cup riding yer car powered by solar panels and see ya at the finish line 👍

But, baby it’s cold outside!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2019, 01:20:49 PM »
I left the kitchen faucet dripping last night to prevent freeze, which worked with the -20 degree temps.

This morning, I had some Arby's and figured -12 was toasty and stopped the dripping.  2 hours later, frozen pipe.  25 minutes of swearing and heat later, I got it unfrozen.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2019, 01:32:10 PM »
'82, I also remember those days in Minnesota.  We plugged in our cars at night and school NEVER closed, even in blizzards.  Of course, we all went to neighborhood schools then and didn't have to rely on diesel busses getting started and picking us up on a corner at the right time.  I can remember a week in 1985 when we went shopping and left our car running while we were in the stores.  We just don't see cold like that anymore.

Oh, and rocket?  My car that is charged by solar panels worked great today!  I turned it on and preheated it to 68 degrees, then got in and drove in comfort from my insulated garage at home to my heated garage at work.  Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 01:56:40 PM »
I was telling my son about buckle/zip rubber boots that you would put on over your shoes, sometimes using breadbags to help get your feet in.    He looked at me like I was not speaking English (as 12 year olds are wont to to)      Did anybody else use boots like this growing up?    From an insulation standpoint, you may as well have been barefoot.   

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 02:47:20 PM »
I left the kitchen faucet dripping last night to prevent freeze, which worked with the -20 degree temps.

This morning, I had some Arby's and figured -12 was toasty and stopped the dripping.  2 hours later, frozen pipe.  25 minutes of swearing and heat later, I got it unfrozen.

You can never stop dripping those old pipes brother.  Otherwise ya gotta heat 'em for hours to get any reaction.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 02:49:36 PM »
I was telling my son about buckle/zip rubber boots that you would put on over your shoes, sometimes using breadbags to help get your feet in.    He looked at me like I was not speaking English (as 12 year olds are wont to to)      Did anybody else use boots like this growing up?    From an insulation standpoint, you may as well have been barefoot.

Absolutely.  My parents always made me get the zipper ones because the buckles broke off too easily.  But the buckles were cooler.  Damn.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2019, 03:09:50 PM »
Absolutely.  My parents always made me get the zipper ones because the buckles broke off too easily.  But the buckles were cooler.  Damn.
I used to hate those things.  A pain in the neck to put on and take off.  I'll bet kindergarten teachers hated them more than anyone. 

It gets cold here, but a below zero temp is rare.  We are looking at some single digits with negative wind chill tomorrow, but nothing like you in the Midwest face.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2019, 03:15:45 PM »

I always loved when we went through another loaf and got a fresh bag. By that time one had a couple holes and was all wrinkly.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2019, 03:18:51 PM »

Yup.
I'll never forget the time in kindergarten that I left them in the garage overnight, but didn't tell my mom because I thought she'd be mad, and walked to school with blocks of ice in the bottom.
My mom got a call from the teacher that night.

Today that call would probably come from DCFS.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2019, 03:21:31 PM »
Yup

Nope

Not fake news, but then again climate is always changing.  Ice ages, mini ice ages, heat periods, etc.

What bothers me is that we’re going to throw trillions at it, won’t do a damn thing at all ( or so little as to make no impact) and what could that money be used for instead?  But it isn’t fake news, it is always changing and always will. 

The great news for some people is it can be blamed for all outcomes which convenient and nice.

Good day boo boo....off to Atlanta

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2019, 03:23:05 PM »
Fun video of some of the Schroeder kids out at 3:50am Monday morning playing in the snow.  When they got the classes canceled word the dorm largely went into Fort Nite / play in snow mode until sunrise.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2019, 03:27:10 PM »
Not fake news, but then again climate is always changing.  Ice ages, mini ice ages, heat periods, etc.

What bothers me is that we’re going to throw trillions at it, won’t do a damn thing at all ( or so little as to make no impact) and what could that money be used for instead?  But it isn’t fake news, it is always changing and always will. 

The great news for some people is it can be blamed for all outcomes which convenient and nice.

Good day boo boo....off to Atlanta

You're very lucky this is a politics-free zone, or I'd be opening up a can of scientific facts on you.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2019, 03:29:13 PM »
You're very lucky this is a politics-free zone, or I'd be opening up a can of scientific facts on you.

Was just thinking the same thing, but decided that it wasn't worth it.