[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Federal Govt Shutdown Effects  (Read 1360 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Federal Govt Shutdown Effects
« on: January 25, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »
In Houston, like many cities , we had the TSA shutdown one of their screening areas, forcing anyone flying out of IAH terminal B to screen at C and take the underground tram over to B. No big deal. Slower lines

I had a client in London who needed to sign and notarize an affidavit and intl fedex back to me for a filing deadline in Texas. As the US embassy in London wasn't open for such business, he had to grab a same day round trip plane to Frankfurt GDR, as it was only US Embassy avail (Madrid was also closed) to notarize . An odd expensive excursion for such a simple US fed govt service.

THIS IS NOT POLITICAL . Without speaking to the debate/issues on the shutdown, have you had any effects from it along these lines or in other areas?

Curious
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Federal Govt Shutdown Effects
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
Appreciate the effort, Hou, but we know how this will probably end up.

But we can still have hope.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 01:04:30 PM »
Most of our clients are Defense Department, but we do have a contract with TSA to coordinate repair/replacement of their screening equipment.

We're under contract so are not having issues, but the Govvies we work for are home.

As an aside, the government folks were told not to do any work and not contact our folks, but I'm told they are texting our folks several times a day to see how things are going and see if there are any problems they can help with.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 01:06:13 PM »
I'm not paying taxes on anything since there's no government running, so that's cool.

(I'm joking.)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 02:17:22 PM »
I didn't have any issues myself. But I have colleague who were awarded federal grants, and had signed contracts with people who would work on the projects.

The problem, is that the money is not dispersed at the time of funding, but later. So although the grant was awarded (before shutdown) they were not given the funds, as such, the people who were working on the project and all research related to it ground to a halt, and none of them will get back pay.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 02:24:35 PM »
The workers in the US customs in LAX were not in the greatest of moods.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 02:37:57 PM »
Serendipitous timing. Looks like Porky is backing down and the shutdown will end (temporarily anyway). Unfortunately, that means this cat must leave his LGA-enforced nightly residence at Smalls in the Village.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 03:00:44 PM »
Was a little nervous as I flew back and forth this past weeks (went to MKE for the last 2 MU games). I thanked the TSA agents, who seemed in decent spirits considering.

Will be interesting to see what happens next now that Individual-1 has agreed to exactly what had been offered more than a month ago.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 03:03:45 PM »
Was waiting for the right time, but now it's appropriate to say... in before the lock.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 03:11:50 PM »
Not a federal employee, but a government employee nonetheless.     From experience, being a pawn and having your livelihood tossed around by politicians sucks.    Anytime it feels like your employer doesn't value you, views you as a nuisance, and cares nothing about how their decisions affect every facet of your life, it sucks.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 03:24:18 PM »
Not a federal employee, but a government employee nonetheless.     From experience, being a pawn and having your livelihood tossed around by politicians sucks.    Anytime it feels like your employer doesn't value you, views you as a nuisance, and cares nothing about how their decisions affect every facet of your life, it sucks.

Now you know how Ners feels every time he posts here.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 03:38:42 PM »
Interesting why the media never picked up on the grants, contractors, sub-contractors, and the services not considered vital.

BTW, after the money is appropriated for whatever, the contracts can be terminated for convenience.  Suprise, the fine print.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 03:44:48 PM »
Can't wait to re-open then re-lock this thread in 3 weeks.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 04:00:12 PM by mu_hilltopper »