Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bilas post - quote on Sam  (Read 13947 times)

LloydsLegs

• All American
Bilas post - quote on Sam
« on: January 24, 2019, 08:16:54 AM »
From Bilas top 68.  I agree on the fight and the fun.  Quite a statement on Sam.

12. Marquette Golden Eagles

Markus Howard is simply ridiculous. Sam Hauser is a pro and will play in the NBA for a long, long time. Marquette has fiber and fights down to the last minute. There is not a more fun team to watch in all of college hoops than Wojo's Warriors. They will shoot from anywhere and make it, and they don't give up.

Link:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25825177/jay-bilas-ranks-68-top-teams-college-basketball-february-nears

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Bilas post - quote on Sam
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 08:21:03 AM »
From Bilas top 68.  I agree on the fight and the fun.  Quite a statement on Sam.

12. Marquette Golden Eagles

Markus Howard is simply ridiculous. Sam Hauser is a pro and will play in the NBA for a long, long time. Marquette has fiber and fights down to the last minute. There is not a more fun team to watch in all of college hoops than Wojo's Warriors. They will shoot from anywhere and make it, and they don't give up.

Link:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25825177/jay-bilas-ranks-68-top-teams-college-basketball-february-nears

Always liked Bilas as a commentator. Now I like him a bit more....

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 08:38:40 AM »
He did say he thought Gasser would play in the NBA, so I take his analysis with a grain of salt.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 08:45:49 AM »
If he can put together a senior year that eliminates some of his quieter nights, then he's got a real shot. It's easy to focus on all the scoring from Markus, but I've got to think the way Sam is able to stuff the stat sheet on a regular basis stands out to scouts at the next level. Plus, his basketball IQ is as high as any MU product I can remember. Let's hope Bilas is right!

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 08:54:50 AM »
If he can put together a senior year that eliminates some of his quieter nights, then he's got a real shot. It's easy to focus on all the scoring from Markus, but I've got to think the way Sam is able to stuff the stat sheet on a regular basis stands out to scouts at the next level. Plus, his basketball IQ is as high as any MU product I can remember. Let's hope Bilas is right!
His defense on Strus last night was outstanding.  Strus is not Westbrook, but it was a real key to the win.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 08:56:31 AM »
Can't believe I'm typing this, but beyond getting quicker and more decisive, I wonder if he needs to tweak his shot mechanics a bit. I don't know if he truly has NBA range, a lot of his misses from the college arc are short, and I think part of that is due to his release not being as compact and efficient as it could be.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 09:54:58 AM »
The more and more I watch Sam, the more I think he might play at the next level. I thought his ceiling was being a really good college player, but now have second thoughts on that. One thing I am certain of, Sam and Joey will go down as two of my all time favorite MU players.

One a sidebar, watching Joey make a D rebound, bring the ball upcourt and hit Sam with a perfect pass last night was a thing of beauty. He hit Sam in the exact spot to allow Sam to catch and shoot the three pointer. While some of the guys are turnover machines, these two were taught how to play the game the right way. As much as I love athletic players making athletic plays, that play should be used as teaching tool to all players.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 10:27:42 AM »
The more and more I watch Sam, the more I think he might play at the next level. I thought his ceiling was being a really good college player, but now have second thoughts on that. One thing I am certain of, Sam and Joey will go down as two of my all time favorite MU players.

One a sidebar, watching Joey make a D rebound, bring the ball upcourt and hit Sam with a perfect pass last night was a thing of beauty. He hit Sam in the exact spot to allow Sam to catch and shoot the three pointer. While some of the guys are turnover machines, these two were taught how to play the game the right way. As much as I love athletic players making athletic plays, that play should be used as teaching tool to all players.

You're only three away from a bingo!  ;D

I hope people can tell this is a joke and not a criticism, because I absolutely agree with everything Goose said
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 10:34:25 AM »
I've thought (and posted as much) from the Vanderbilt game Sam's freshman year that he would be a multi-year NBA player.  Nothing I have seen has made me think otherwise.  When you're 6'8" and can shoot the rock like he can you're going to get looks from many teams.  And when you're just solid everywhere else like he is it'll only add to that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 10:36:54 AM »

Agree with all of this. Love both of those guys.

That said, Joey's TO% is 4th highest on the team (behind JC, JC and EM) and the worst among our starters.

On the other hand, Sam has the best TO% on the team other than Bailey in his spot minutes.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 10:41:20 AM »
I’m predicting Sam will have a much better NBA career than HE.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 10:45:26 AM »
You're only three away from a bingo!  ;D

I hope people can tell this is a joke and not a criticism, because I absolutely agree with everything Goose said

Badger fan in the seat next to us last night had the audacity to compare Davison favorably to Andrew Rowsey, and called Andrew a "Punk".

Glow correctly pointed out that AR never played dirty and certainly never punched anyone in the nether regions.
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 10:45:39 AM »
I love how one of the announcers last night said sam had a whole array of 'crafty old man moves'.  That was just a perfect description.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 10:47:28 AM »

i'm not sure what it means to "play the game the right way"...especially in today's nba...it's such a different game.  the hausers are really impressive at moving without the ball in their hands, and i think it certainly helped that they came from a HS where the coach's son was a high level PG. 

i'm not sure who sam guards in the nba.  he can obviously shoot and score with his back to the basket.  when i look at a team like the bucks, that puts 4 shooters on the court, he can't offer what a 6'10" dj wilson type does.  he'd play a khris middleton, tony snell, sterling brown type roll...and those are tough comparisons...though not a huge stretch to think he may be smart enough to be ok on defense, a knock down shooter, good rebounder, and he isn't going to make mistakes.   

joey has a higher ceiling imho...his first 5 min. were downright awful last night, and then he recovered.  MU needs him to play full games in the worst way...a team that looked really deep to start the year gave a ton of minutes to five players last night. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 10:51:41 AM »
and speaking of davison...and the hausers.  joey seems to attract punches below the belt on screens...he made the official aware...how is that not looked at/missed?

one more question...unrelated to this thread...when depaul picked up the two technicals last night...markus was on the bench and they subbed him in to shoot the FT's.  that's allowable?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 10:56:45 AM »
avid

This team has done an awesome job of finding ways to win. That said, I am not sure they are good enough to put together a complete, at least not complete games in a row. I am 10000% shocked with the win/loss record and very happy in that regard. I cam into the season not believing they had a 9-10 man rotation and the minutes played has proven that to be true. I am going to enjoy the ride as long as it lasts, but skeptical you can win every game, or most games, when you do not play complete game.

As a guy with low expectations going into the season, I gladly admit I was wrong, based off their record. Hope I am proven wrong that the talent depth is better than I thought. Currently, I am not ready, or close to ready, to admit I was wrong on the talent level.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 10:57:11 AM »
I’m predicting Sam will have a much better NBA career than HE.

Maybe it will be because Sam stayed for four years and perfected his game.

Or because Sam saw he's part of a team, however imperfect, and learned to make his team better.

Right on Brother Chili. I really like this guy -- and his brother! 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »
Maybe it will be because Sam stayed for four years and perfected his game.

Or because Sam saw he's part of a team, however imperfect, and learned to make his team better.

Right on Brother Chili. I really like this guy -- and his brother!

It's because he can shoot the rock.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 11:49:02 AM »
and speaking of davison...and the hausers.  joey seems to attract punches below the belt on screens...he made the official aware...how is that not looked at/missed?

one more question...unrelated to this thread...when depaul picked up the two technicals last night...markus was on the bench and they subbed him in to shoot the FT's.  that's allowable?
I poked around the internet and apparently it is legal to sub someone in to shoot technical FTs.  I thought at the time it would have been a good time for Sam to shoot the FTs to help him get going.  Turned out he got going anyway.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 11:49:43 AM »
To me, Sam appears to be one of those players whose success/failure may depend more on where he is rather that who he is.

If he ends up at some dysfunctional franchise/inept coach, I don't know if his individual skills will be enough for him to get more looks beyond his initial placement.

But if he ends up with Pop or Kerr, etc - teams/coaches who maximize individual skills within a scheme - he could blow up

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 12:12:56 PM »
I've thought (and posted as much) from the Vanderbilt game Sam's freshman year that he would be a multi-year NBA player.  Nothing I have seen has made me think otherwise.  When you're 6'8" and can shoot the rock like he can you're going to get looks from many teams.  And when you're just solid everywhere else like he is it'll only add to that.

He's only a marginally worse shooter than Novak (but Novak is top 5 all-time unguarded), and a couple inches shorter.

Other than that, he's significantly better at everything else.

Not knocking Novak, I loved him! But Sam is a better all-around player and Novak had a 10-year career.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 12:18:56 PM »
Funny, if you were watching a Badger game with me, you would need an entirely different bingo card

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 01:07:16 PM »
I poked around the internet and apparently it is legal to sub someone in to shoot technical FTs.  I thought at the time it would have been a good time for Sam to shoot the FTs to help him get going.  Turned out he got going anyway.

Howard was at the scorer's table to check in. So I *think* he technically checked in after the offensive foul call on DePaul, and was then in the game when the 2nd and 3rd whistles came for the technical.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 01:20:47 PM »
I really like that from Bilas ... but I would, as I've been saying similar for quite some time about both Sam and the Warriors.

Was at the game with a friend and I talked about how tough-minded I think this team is. Winning when you don't have it ... holding off an opponent's rallies and coming right back with your own ... making clutch free throws ... just always finding ways to win.

Really like this team, and not just the Hausers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »

His quieter nights usually coincide with the nights that the 4 guys on the court not named Markus never even see the ball.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback