[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Man do I love the Hausers  (Read 72647 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Man do I love the Hausers
« Reply #350 on: April 22, 2019, 10:46:53 PM »
Scholarships are 1 year agreements. Wojo never had the Hausers agreements for 2019-20 so he never lost them for 2019-20. Can't lose what you never had. Right, Mike?

As you know, Lenny, I have said many times that Wojo totally screwed the pooch here. Ego-management is one of a coach's main jobs, and he failed here. I have put the lion's share of the blame for this fiasco on Wojo, and I am concerned that the program will not recover -- at least not with him as coach. Which would trigger yet another rebuild. Ugh.

So yes, Wojo lost the Hausers. And you knew I believed that because you read Scoop and I have said so numerous times. But I know you're just having fun, and that's cool.

All of the above doesn't mean the Hausers didn't quit. That was 100% their choice. It also doesn't mean I have to keep rooting for guys who quit on my alma mater and now will be playing for our archrivals. Not quite sure why any Marquette fan would root for rival players, but some apparently love the Hausers more than the Warriors. I'm not including you in that, Lenny, because I don't know where you stand.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #351 on: April 22, 2019, 11:58:02 PM »
Not quite sure why any Marquette fan would root for rival players, but some apparently love the Hausers more than the Warriors. I'm not including you in that, Lenny, because I don't know where you stand.

Mike,

"Some apparently love the Hausers more than the Warriors"? Really? I've read most of the crap (even the Sand Knit stuff) written on this subject and not only is it not "apparent" to me that anyone on Scoop on any side of this issue loves the Hausers more than they do Marquette basketball, I think it's ludicrous to even suggest it as a possibility.

Where do I stand? I've watched Sam Hauser play at MU for 3 years. His effort, IMO, has been exemplary, battling back from surgery, always giving 100% despite usually playing against physically stronger players. He is, again IMO, smart and unselfish, a great example of a team player. And he's pretty good - according to our stats guru, John Pudner, the 28th best player in the country last year. For all of this (and more) he has earned a reservoir of good will from this Marquette fan. And if he was disappointed watching our team and season collapse while a supposedly injured player dominated the ball (playing "hero ball" and playing it poorly) I don't blame him - I was too. To you, he's Brad Davison. To me, he's earned better than that. I could never root for UW, I hope they go 0-30 and we beat them by 20+. But I won't be rooting against Sam. I think he deserves better. I think he's earned better. He's not a traitor, he's not a quitter. He has one year of college basketball left and decided it would be more fun to play for a team/coach who believes in sharing the ball than watching the Markus Show with Wojo for another year. I'm disappointed with Sam's decision. I'm more disappointed that Wojo lack of leadership allowed things to come to this.

Joey (IMO) is following his brother. I think he will turn out to be an outstanding college basketball player and we'll come to regret his loss. But I don't really have much of a connection with him - one year isn't enough to forge one.

Bottom line, I think this fiasco falls on Wojo. I don't think he should be fired but I think he should be on notice. This year, on the court and on the recruiting trail, is his last chance for me. Hope he hits it out of the park but I think it's unlikely.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #352 on: April 23, 2019, 03:57:20 AM »
Lenny Man with the voice of reason, as always, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #353 on: April 23, 2019, 05:42:37 AM »
Mike,

"Some apparently love the Hausers more than the Warriors"? Really? I've read most of the crap (even the Sand Knit stuff) written on this subject and not only is it not "apparent" to me that anyone on Scoop on any side of this issue loves the Hausers more than they do Marquette basketball, I think it's ludicrous to even suggest it as a possibility.

Where do I stand? I've watched Sam Hauser play at MU for 3 years. His effort, IMO, has been exemplary, battling back from surgery, always giving 100% despite usually playing against physically stronger players. He is, again IMO, smart and unselfish, a great example of a team player. And he's pretty good - according to our stats guru, John Pudner, the 28th best player in the country last year. For all of this (and more) he has earned a reservoir of good will from this Marquette fan. And if he was disappointed watching our team and season collapse while a supposedly injured player dominated the ball (playing "hero ball" and playing it poorly) I don't blame him - I was too. To you, he's Brad Davison. To me, he's earned better than that. I could never root for UW, I hope they go 0-30 and we beat them by 20+. But I won't be rooting against Sam. I think he deserves better. I think he's earned better. He's not a traitor, he's not a quitter. He has one year of college basketball left and decided it would be more fun to play for a team/coach who believes in sharing the ball than watching the Markus Show with Wojo for another year. I'm disappointed with Sam's decision. I'm more disappointed that Wojo lack of leadership allowed things to come to this.

Joey (IMO) is following his brother. I think he will turn out to be an outstanding college basketball player and we'll come to regret his loss. But I don't really have much of a connection with him - one year isn't enough to forge one.

Bottom line, I think this fiasco falls on Wojo. I don't think he should be fired but I think he should be on notice. This year, on the court and on the recruiting trail, is his last chance for me. Hope he hits it out of the park but I think it's unlikely.
Amen. Preach.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #354 on: April 23, 2019, 06:07:36 AM »
Mike,

The bolded part is problematic. Sam was not some innocent victim of Markus and Wojo during the skid, he was a big part of the reason why we lost many of those games. He missed a lot of shots and played poorly at times as well.  1-7 with three points against Creighton, 5 TOs at Seton Hall (where he led the team in FG attempts by the way), 2-11 against Georgetown.  He played well in some of them too, notably the BET game against Seton Hall (where he had as many FG attempts as Markus BTW).

You are just giving him a pass because you like him, but he sucked down the stretch too, yet somehow Markus gets all the blame from you. Sam was at least tied for the lead in FG attempts in a third of the losses to end the season, yet he’s a blameless victim of Wojo’s ineptitude. I think he needs to look in the mirror if he’s looking for someone to blame for poor end to season.

Also, has Markus not “always given 100% despite usually playing against physically stronger players“? 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #355 on: April 23, 2019, 06:24:02 AM »
Mike,

Home run,  Lenny
No Finish Line

Goose

• All American
« Reply #356 on: April 23, 2019, 06:32:51 AM »
Lenny

You knocked out of the park. You summed up how I believe most MU fans feels about Sam and the situation. Great post!!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #357 on: April 23, 2019, 08:04:06 AM »
The bolded part is problematic. Sam was not some innocent victim of Markus and Wojo during the skid, he was a big part of the reason why we lost many of those games. He missed a lot of shots and played poorly at times as well.  1-7 with three points against Creighton, 5 TOs at Seton Hall (where he led the team in FG attempts by the way), 2-11 against Georgetown.  He played well in some of them too, notably the BET game against Seton Hall (where he had as many FG attempts as Markus BTW).

You are just giving him a pass because you like him, but he sucked down the stretch too, yet somehow Markus gets all the blame from you. Sam was at least tied for the lead in FG attempts in a third of the losses to end the season, yet he’s a blameless victim of Wojo’s ineptitude. I think he needs to look in the mirror if he’s looking for someone to blame for poor end to season.

Also, has Markus not “always given 100% despite usually playing against physically stronger players“?

Yeah this is where I'm at

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #358 on: April 23, 2019, 08:06:42 AM »
Mike,

Perfect!

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #359 on: April 23, 2019, 08:30:34 AM »
I mostly agree with Lenny unless they go to UW. Then how could you possibly support seeing Sam in red trying to beat Marquette? No, i'm sorry, no.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #360 on: April 23, 2019, 08:35:37 AM »
Let them go who cares. They don't play a lick of freaking defense and are as slow as white guys can get. Give me Cain over Joey Hauser any day of the week. Yes we lose scoring but maybe the replacements step up on D. This is a top 25 team book it. Let the quitters walk.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #361 on: April 23, 2019, 08:36:03 AM »

I'm not "giving Sam a pass because I like him". He had a couple of bad games during our swoon just as Markus had a couple of good ones during that period. But someone has already posted the numbers for that stretch and they suggest that Sam was overall "good" (112 ORtg) and Markus was overall "bad" (either a 94 or a 97 ORtg, don't recall which). In addition, Markus's usage was a staggering 41%. As his play deteriorated, Wojo allowed or encouraged his ball dominance to increase.That's what I saw and the numbers back it up.

Regarding Markus, I have never questioned his effort or courage. I think both are outstanding. I only question his judgement and reluctance at times to share the ball. But if the coach doesn't make that a priority I can't really blame Markus for that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #362 on: April 23, 2019, 09:12:09 AM »
Mike,

Superb comment, Lenny. You and I agree almost completely.

I have said repeatedly that "this fiasco falls on Wojo." I also agree that he shouldn't be fired (though I wouldn't cry if he were) and that, as I've said numerous times, "Wojo is on the clock." I also am disappointed in Wojo's lack of leadership. I also have expressed almost the exact same hope as you did in your last sentence: I want him to succeed, but this fiasco might have damaged the Marquette basketball brand enough to make it unlikely.

I agree totally about Joey.

And I agree with most of what you said about Sam, one of my favorite Marquette players of recent years. I know the term "quitter" has extremely negative connotations, but I have used it in the most literal sense:

QUIT: "Leave a place, usually permanently." By that and pretty much any definition one can find in any dictionary, he and Joey did quit Marquette. Therefore, they are quitters by the most basic definition: "One who quits."

However, I wouldn't apply one of the common extremely negative definitions to Sam: "A person who quits or gives up easily, especially in the face of some difficulty, danger, etc." Even if I don't agree with all of the methods he supposedly used (which have been discussed on Scoop), I don't think he gave up easily. And I can see why you and others who think of that definition would not appreciate it being used about Sam and his brother.

It looks like Sam to F%ckyLand is a done deal, but if he somehow ends up elsewhere, I will not root against him unless our alma mater plays against him. If he ends up with our archrivals, however, I will never root for him or his brother or his team. Of course I will not root for any of them to suffer some kind of physical catastrophe, but I will be hoping the whole lot of them fail spectacularly at basketball. They are F%ckies and we are Warriors; I want them to lose and us to win. I can't say it any more simply than that, and it seems you agree.

Your outstanding comment has influenced me, Lenny. Because of the connotation of "quitters," I will stop using that term about the Hausers. I might still say they quit Marquette, because they assuredly did, but I will stop using the word "quitters" because it upsets Scoopers I respect and also because, in its most negative form, it doesn't describe Sam accurately.

Otherwise, I am glad that you and I agree so completely on 99% of this, and that so many of our fellow Scoopers -- judging by their reaction to your post -- agree with both of us.

Thanks for the conversation.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #363 on: April 23, 2019, 09:20:29 AM »
Scholarships are 1 year agreements. Wojo never had the Hausers agreements for 2019-20 so he never lost them for 2019-20. Can't lose what you never had. Right, Mike?

In the Big East and other P6 conferences they no longer are since 2014....commitments for 4 years I believe.  Billy can keep me honest since he does this for a living and can correct me.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #364 on: April 23, 2019, 09:29:24 AM »
In the Big East and other P6 conferences they no longer are since 2014....commitments for 4 years I believe.  Billy can keep me honest since he does this for a living and can correct me.
Missed you during the past week.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #365 on: April 23, 2019, 09:32:20 AM »
Superb comment, Lenny. You and I agree almost completely.

I have said repeatedly that "this fiasco falls on Wojo." I also agree that he shouldn't be fired (though I wouldn't cry if he were) and that, as I've said numerous times, "Wojo is on the clock." I also am disappointed in Wojo's lack of leadership. I also have expressed almost the exact same hope as you did in your last sentence: I want him to succeed, but this fiasco might have damaged the Marquette basketball brand enough to make it unlikely.

I agree totally about Joey.

And I agree with most of what you said about Sam, one of my favorite Marquette players of recent years. I know the term "quitter" has extremely negative connotations, but I have used it in the most literal sense:

QUIT: "Leave a place, usually permanently." By that and pretty much any definition one can find in any dictionary, he and Joey did quit Marquette. Therefore, they are quitters by the most basic definition: "One who quits."

However, I wouldn't apply one of the common extremely negative definitions to Sam: "A person who quits or gives up easily, especially in the face of some difficulty, danger, etc." Even if I don't agree with all of the methods he supposedly used (which have been discussed on Scoop), I don't think he gave up easily. And I can see why you and others who think of that definition would not appreciate it being used about Sam and his brother.

It looks like Sam to F%ckyLand is a done deal, but if he somehow ends up elsewhere, I will not root against him unless our alma mater plays against him. If he ends up with our archrivals, however, I will never root for him or his brother or his team. Of course I will not root for any of them to suffer some kind of physical catastrophe, but I will be hoping the whole lot of them fail spectacularly at basketball. They are F%ckies and we are Warriors; I want them to lose and us to win. I can't say it any more simply than that, and it seems you agree.

Your outstanding comment has influenced me, Lenny. Because of the connotation of "quitters," I will stop using that term about the Hausers. I might still say they quit Marquette, because they assuredly did, but I will stop using the word "quitters" because it upsets Scoopers I respect and also because, in its most negative form, it doesn't describe Sam accurately.

Otherwise, I am glad that you and I agree so completely on 99% of this, and that so many of our fellow Scoopers -- judging by their reaction to your post -- agree with both of us.

Thanks for the conversation.

Mike,

Thanks for your generous remarks. This will be an interesting if controversial off season but come November we'll all want seashells and balloons for our Warriors!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #366 on: April 23, 2019, 11:02:53 AM »
So that's settled, then? The sheer amount of words expended in debating the meaning and relevance of a single word has been breathtaking.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #367 on: April 23, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »
So that's settled, then? The sheer amount of words expended in debating the meaning and relevance of a single word has been breathtaking.

Honored to have taken your breath away.

Hopefully, you had a few breaths to spare.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #368 on: April 23, 2019, 11:17:18 AM »
Missed you during the past week.

As stated, last week I had a lot going on.

My daughter’s 3rd surgery in two months

NFL negotiations still ongoing and very public

Traveled to Colorado for my mom to see her for her 75th birthday and to watch Marquette play in the NCVF volleyball national championships on Thursday thru Saturday.

Way more important stuff than to watch the hysteria here.  Way more important.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback