[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mcclung = Travis Diener  (Read 6500 times)

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
Mcclung = Travis Diener
« on: January 15, 2019, 10:57:47 PM »
I like his game, very similar to Travis.  Great toughness, even as a frosh.  He will be a handful for 4 years.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Mcclung = Travis Diener
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:59:42 PM »
My dislike of Mac McClung = My dislike of JP Marcura

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 11:00:21 PM »
McClung has a LONG way to go to be Travis Diener. McClung is a chucker who was hot tonight. Promising offensive player. I don’t think he’ll ever be CLOSE to Diener. Diener is one of the most underrated Warriors of my lifetime.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:01:45 PM »
I like his game, very similar to Travis.  Great toughness, even as a frosh.  He will be a handful for 4 years.

Ban dis guy

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 11:03:52 PM »
McClung has a LONG way to go to be Travis Diener. McClung is a chucker who was hot tonight. Promising offensive player. I don’t think he’ll ever be CLOSE to Diener. Diener is one of the most underrated Warriors of my lifetime.

Agreed. So far, I don't see much similarity to their games. Travis was an in-control guy who organized the offense and knocked down big 3s. McClung is a shoot-first, very athletic guard.

McClung is fun to watch, though, and I think he will be a consistent impact player when he slows down just a little bit.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 11:04:56 PM »
I actually don’t mind the kid and he doesn’t seem like that much of a hotdog. Especially considering he’s kind of a freak and was an Instagram sensation with his dunking ability.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 11:05:21 PM »
Agreed. So far, I don't see much similarity to their games. Travis was an in-control guy who organized the offense and knocked down big 3s. McClung is a shoot-first, very athletic guard.

McClung is fun to watch, though, and I think he will be a consistent impact player when he slows down just a little bit.

Diener is also not a guy with "a very punchable face" per my wife's assessment of McClung.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 11:05:55 PM »
I actually don’t mind the kid and he doesn’t seem like that much of a hotdog. Especially considering he’s kind of a freak and was an Instagram sensation with his dunking ability.

That haircut, though.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 11:12:15 PM »
Mac McClung's like-ability falls somewhere between Brad 'nutpuncher' Davison and Travis 'baby-faced assassin' Diener.  But, then again, almost every human on the planet falls into that category.

So far, I don't have a strong desire to punch him in the face, but he's just a frosh.  There's still time.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:15:04 PM by 94Warrior »

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 11:14:15 PM »
Eh,seems like a neat kid to me, I like him well enough.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 11:19:58 PM »
Mac Maclung was better when he hung out with Pippen and Sam and Frodo.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 11:20:48 PM »

Akinjo's shot wasn't very good tonite, but they will be a nice backcourt for the next few years.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 11:22:20 PM »

Agreed
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 11:25:25 PM »
He’s way more similar to Dominic James. Look at some videos of his dunks, don’t think Travis could do any of that. McClung like Dominic James is a decent but not great shooter who could jump out of the gym and Diener was a way better shooter than either. I actually like McClung and knew who he was before he got to GTown, he had a ton of hype coming out of high school and his dunks are insane
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:28:06 PM by Otule's Glass Eye »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 11:26:00 PM »
Not familiar with McClung except for the shot he hit vs Providence and his nice game against us. I don't watch a ton of Gtown hoops and I don't know his backstory. Does he have a history of dirty play? Is he a smack-talker (like Theo)? Why is he "unlikable," except for being on a conference rival who will go against us for a few years?

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 11:31:32 PM »
McClung reminds me a lot of myself when I was that age. Only difference is I was better looking and more athletic😝😝😝

I think he will be a fun player for GU, but let’s see how he does when MU drops a Kobe McKewen/Dexter/Samir bomb on him over the next few years.

Nice win tonight!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 11:55:52 PM »
Mac Maclung was better when he hung out with Pippen and Sam and Frodo.

I had the exact same thought!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 11:56:59 PM »
McClung had a nice game tonight, better than any I had seen him play the few other times I watched Georgetown. Honestly, I don't see many similarities between him and Diener other than the obvious one.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 12:15:42 AM »
McClung had a nice game tonight, better than any I had seen him play the few other times I watched Georgetown. Honestly, I don't see many similarities between him and Diener other than the obvious one.

Yep, both are short.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 04:56:04 AM »
He’s way more similar to Dominic James. Look at some videos of his dunks, don’t think Travis could do any of that. McClung like Dominic James is a decent but not great shooter who could jump out of the gym and Diener was a way better shooter than either. I actually like McClung and knew who he was before he got to GTown, he had a ton of hype coming out of high school and his dunks are insane

Yup.

It’s just a lazy comparison by the OP.

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 06:54:06 AM »
Why?  Mcclung played scrappy, tough, dangerous from 3, not afraid to get in the lane, seemed to be playing w a chip.  Much like Travis Diener.   Obviously he has along way to go and I’ve only seen GT a couple time this year, but I see a similar type player.   He’s not Marcura who was a good player but a cont, and he’s nowhere near Davison who is not a good player but still a cont.  And I’m not sure why Dom James is a more apt comparison, Dom was athletic but not great from 3. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 06:59:07 AM »
That haircut, though.

Well, to be fair, Travis had that haircut, too - in 2003 .
Have some patience, FFS.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 07:00:04 AM »
Why?  Mcclung played scrappy, tough, dangerous from 3, not afraid to get in the lane, seemed to be playing w a chip.  Much like Travis Diener.   Obviously he has along way to go and I’ve only seen GT a couple time this year, but I see a similar type player.   He’s not Marcura who was a good player but a cont, and he’s nowhere near Davison who is not a good player but still a cont.  And I’m not sure why Dom James is a more apt comparison, Dom was athletic but not great from 3.

McClung came in shooting 25% from 3...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 07:07:46 AM »
The biggest problem with McClung is that every time he does something that doesn't suck, Murf is on the Dodds board saying I told you so.  He is a huge fan. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.