Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo man...  (Read 6930 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Wojo man...
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 10:53:35 PM »
There's no doubt that Wojo has improved since taking the job. If we have year one Wojo coaching this team we would be 1-4 in conference right now.

You didn't say it was a surprise, but I'm not sure why anybody thought this couldn't happen. Some were sure it wouldn't happen.

Just like players, coaches get better.

Wojo has gradually gotten better, and I now think he is a good coach. I know for some who wanted our coach to be ABW, that's a tough pill to swallow.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 10:56:13 PM »
Good job by Wojo great job by the kids.  A game like this is scary tho in the sense that it shows how incredibly thin we are at the point.  Sure hope Markus gets healthy
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 10:58:03 PM »
Good job by Wojo great job by the kids.  A game like this is scary tho in the sense that it shows how incredibly thin we are at the point.  Sure hope Markus gets healthy

This is true. Agree totally.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 11:00:25 PM »
His postgame with Bardo was great. He really loves this team and knows how to get a lot out of them. Next man up and keep chopping.

Thought wojo was gonna have tears down his face at first.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 11:01:17 PM »
I was actually ok with less Cain. It seems like he is great on defense but offensively so uneven. Way too many bad turnovers.

He had a nice pass to Joey in the corner for 3 and I thought he was pretty disruptive on D.

Definitely wanted to see him in the game over Chartouny tonight

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 11:03:39 PM »
Thought wojo was gonna have tears down his face at first.

He seemed emotional for sure. This reminded me of the WV game with JC and Jae out for part. That was the turning point.

Tonight felt like a "go to the next level" night.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 06:37:49 AM »
He seemed emotional for sure. This reminded me of the WV game with JC and Jae out for part. That was the turning point.

I’m pretty sure that Jae was the guy who played 40 mins in that WV game. And doing that cemented his BEPOY over the guy from WV.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 06:40:53 AM »

What DC themed song should Wojo have danced to at mid court?

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 06:46:47 AM »
Was that the game where Jae did a throat slash after hitting a three?

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 08:00:23 AM »
Was that the game where Jae did a throat slash after hitting a three?

Nay. That was home v Lou

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 08:17:38 AM »
Ill take it for sure but hes a miracle and a couple more super unlikely wins away from the wojo has got to gojo discussion.  So glad the coin flipped for the teams sake.
i've argued that in the end we are only capable of really judging wojo by wins/losses and the manner of which he and the players represent MU....that said, in the past, they have struggled with the press, struggled to inbound the ball down the stretch, struggled to get the ball into the post, not utilized sam in low/mid/high post, etc...  they are doing all of this effectively this year.  i turned the Creighton game off, and walked away not really disappointed with the loss...i liked what i saw.  win or lose last night...i liked what i saw.  in years past that wasn't always the case...to start the year this wasn't the case. 

not that watching markus dominate a game isn't fun...but last night's game was as much fun as i've had watching MU play in a long time.  so much fun to see sam step up the way you know he's capable of...but unselfishly defers.  fun to watch joey take on a defensive assignment and hold govan in check.  fun to watch bailey get a couple buckets while playing amazing defense.  fun to watch theo play strong/aggressive and not foul out.  fun to watch mu pick up on match up advantages and take advantage of them within a possession.  fun to watch wojo and staff absolutely nail the rotation/match ups, play calling, and dead ball opportunities.  if this type of play continues, they'll still lose a few games, but they'll end up with an impressive record and ncaa seed that nearly everyone on this board said they would be happy with at the beginning of the year. 

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2019, 08:19:35 AM »
I think that’s Wojo’s best asset as a coach. He has a tremendous feel for his team and who is playing well and who needs a kick in the pants.

I think his timeout huddles are his best attribute
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2019, 08:22:06 AM »
It would be fun to lay this thread next to all of the threads criticizing Wojo after IU and Kansas.     Compare who said what when. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2019, 08:27:57 AM »
So I enjoyed last night a ton, but I am curious with all the comments along the lines of "most fun" or "best" or "most enjoyable" game of the Wojo era. It kind of adds to my perception that some of our fans really hate Markus. I think everyone respects Markus at this point but I get the sense that some of us really don't like watching a team with one dominate scorer.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2019, 08:30:34 AM »
So I enjoyed last night a ton, but I am curious with all the comments along the lines of "most fun" or "best" or "most enjoyable" game of the Wojo era. It kind of adds to my perception that some of our fans really hate Markus. I think everyone respects Markus at this point but I get the sense that some of us really don't like watching a team with one dominate scorer.

For me it was watching the team evolve without its best player. It wasn't as much "fun" as it was "satisfying."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2019, 08:37:50 AM »
I agree with Sultan about 'satisfying' versus 'fun'.     I love Markus.    The team cannot reach its ceiling without him.    I want him to heal quickly.    The beauty of last night's game is that the team picked him up.    That is the next step in development.    It destroys the notion that Markus is a one man team.    It gives everybody else a huge boost of confidence.   And that is a joy to see.     Hurry back, Markus.   But know the team has your back.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 08:38:01 AM »
The biggest change (growth?) in Wojo's coaching last night was his sideline demeanor.  He always seemed calm, always was being supportive (even after some of our mistakes), and there was just always a sense that this game was our's.  I think that is a strong testament to his knowledge and understanding of the kids and the team, and giving them the right push when needed. 

Wojo has made substantial strides as a head coach in five years here.  This year, he is experienced, confident and, most of all, has skilled players (many of whom have experience themselves). 

It took a while from going from Buzz's E8 to where we are today, but these past two wins have really put Wojo, the team and the program back into the national spotlight.  Kudos to him for building this thing his way and earning the success the way it has been.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »
I'm very pleased with the coaching at this point. We saw some of the same bumps and question marks early, but the team has responded really well to those challenges and last night was the pinnacle thus far. A few things that stood out:

• The defense in better has been excellent. Part of that is in comparison to past years, but guys are good at staying in front of their man, much better in pick & roll, and the emergence of rim protectors has made our 2PFG% defense far better (from sub-300 to top-20).
  • Adjustments to how we attacked K-State to take advantage of the loose whistles and their lack of depth.
  • Great out-of-timeout plays. Last night was another great example, when we were tied at 70 with just over a minute to play, Sacar called timeout. I immediately felt confident we were going to get a basket, and Wojo drew up the play that resulted in a midrange jumper for Sam which ultimately proved to give us the lead for good.
  • Lineup balance has been good. Wojo has done a good job of figuring out who to roll with on given nights. Chartouny didn't have it last night so he got a short leash, but when he is making positive contributions, he's out there. Similarly Bailey (last night), Cain (Buffalo), and Morrow (often) are allowed to shine when they have it and restrained when they don't. We wondered how he would juggle a deeper lineup and so far, so good.
People have said it a few times in the past couple days, but this team is feeling pretty special. They have shown a knack for being resilient late and I can't imagine many teams would look forward to playing a close game with us. After having some reservations early, this has been a really exciting and reassuring turnaround, especially knowing that it's pretty much the start of what should be a sustainable two years with this team.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 09:52:27 AM »

He could have tossed some fast food burgers into the crowd to raise a little controversy.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 10:51:33 AM »

I don't think that is the case. I think it is the satisfaction that we could go on the road and still win without our best guy. I think it was most enjoyable or satisfying because there was a component of watching the team grow out of necessity before our eyes. They didn't sulk or roll over--they took "next man up" to heart.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2019, 10:53:38 AM »

Happy Days are Here Again.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2019, 11:15:08 AM »
Someone in another thread said Wojo is involving his assistants more in the timeouts.   Someone who sat behind the bench I believe.   Anyone else have any insights? 

Wojo and staff pulled all the Run got str8ngs last night at the right times.  Great to see. And the team, their drive and spirit, fun to watch,  they are a unit out there. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2019, 11:15:17 AM »
That's me...I said it in another thread...Markus in the first half of the Hall game was great...and if MU can play like that we're golden.  In the second half we saw a different Markus and not as good of a half for MU.  I'm not sure Markus playing hero ball equates to any more wins for MU then playing without Markus...but obviously it doesn't have to be one or the other.  I do believe Markus playing like he did in the first half of the Buffalo game is something he can consistently do each and every night...and if he does MU doesn't necessarily lose on nights when Markus isn't hitting from deep.  I love Wojo referencing the playbook, and getting Sam/Joey in the low/extended post when MU needs a bucket and Markus is struggling. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2019, 11:21:16 AM »
TAMU

It is simple to me, hoping Markus carries the team is not a sustainable model. A win last night showed it can be done without a one man show. I do not think this team can win consistently without Howard, but they did last night. As many know, I am tough grader of players and the program, but they get an A for being a tough group of kids. They have shown they can beat teams in tight games and that has been nice to watch.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 11:22:03 AM »

Lineup balance has been good. Wojo has done a good job of figuring out who to roll with on given nights. Chartouny didn't have it last night so he got a short leash, but when he is making positive contributions, he's out there. Similarly Bailey (last night), Cain (Buffalo), and Morrow (often) are allowed to shine when they have it and restrained when they don't. We wondered how he would juggle a deeper lineup and so far, so good.

Liked your entire post, brewski, but this is especially good, given how much speculation there was all offseason on how Wojo would handle a much deeper roster. You have a couple/few players who are going to get their minutes because they are the best players; after that, you mix and match, going with the guys who are playing the best or paying attention to match-ups. Along the way, you do what you have to do to manage egos -- individual meetings, publicly praising small contributions, etc. Nicely done by Wojo.