[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mark-us down for a conference road win  (Read 7860 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Mark-us down for a conference road win
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2019, 10:58:30 PM »
This is your best title to date tower.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2019, 11:01:30 PM »
If Markus is going to miss some time, now is the time. Providence and DePaul coming to Milwaukee, MU doesn’t get on a plane again for 10 more days. Even then it’s Xavier and Butler.

MU’s first two games in February against the Johnnie’s & Nova (both in Milwaukee) will go a long way to determining the conference.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2019, 11:01:55 PM »
What happened to GURU? The little whiner was posting like a madman when he thought we were going to lose.

He is not master of his domain. Seinfeld reference.

Seriously, a post like that allows him to claim being "right" regardless of the result.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2019, 11:03:45 PM »
Shout out to Matt heldt. He always seems to have these games where he’s just clutch.  I love Matt and what he means to this team

Yep. Got to meet his dad one time. Told him I loved watching him play.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2019, 11:05:45 PM »
What happened to GURU? The little whiner was posting like a madman when he thought we were going to lose.

The game thread ...  you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

The same can be said for every one of them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2019, 11:31:59 PM »
I really like assertive Sam. Felt like he was a little too deferential before. Feel like having a "team" game will help a lot in the long run to make sure the ball doesn't stick in hands too much and that our offense doesnt resort a ton to "hope MH gets open."
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2019, 11:34:40 PM »
I really like assertive Sam. Felt like he was a little too deferential before. Feel like having a "team" game will help a lot in the long run to make sure the ball doesn't stick in hands too much and that our offense doesnt resort a ton to "hope MH gets open."

Yep - this game does a ton for the confidence of our guys and Markus' confidence in them.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2019, 12:02:58 AM »
Sacar reminds me of Lockett, the steady eddie for Buzz's E8 team, but IMHO Sacar is more athletic and more talented all-around. And his stats are better, too.

Even on a night when he didn't shoot well, he came up huge over and over again, and he even did a more than passable job at the point. He was a major reason we scored a big road win without the BEast MVP.

Which, in Sand-Knit's eyes, makes Sacar "not very good at all" and the "worst 2 in BE by far."

Sacar is crucial to this team's continued success.  He does so much that never appears on a stat sheet, and I agree he appeared to be at least capable a s a back up point.  His biggest weakness is his outside shot, but hopefully Coach Nelson will work with him on that during the off season like he did with JJJ a couple of years ago.    Nelson helped improve JJJ's outside shot considerably from his Jr year to Sr. Year so if he can do the same with Sacar he'll be even more dangerous.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2019, 12:14:52 AM »
Sacar is crucial to this team's continued success.  He does so much that never appears on a stat sheet, and I agree he appeared to be at least capable a s a back up point.  His biggest weakness is his outside shot, but hopefully Coach Nelson will work with him on that during the off season like he did with JJJ a couple of years ago.    Nelson helped improve JJJ's outside shot considerably from his Jr year to Sr. Year so if he can do the same with Sacar he'll be even more dangerous.

Sacar's 3 pctg has improved some, from .235 last season to .290 so far this season. He has gone 4-12 (.333) so far in the BEast season. Not exactly Steph Curry, but gradual improvement. Hoping for more, of course!

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2019, 12:27:18 AM »
Couple things today man. I'm ecstatic about that win.

That was the most impressive win of the season. Talk about grinding it out.

Sam - Career high 31 AND PLAYING POINT GUARD.

Theo - game winning block and best defender in the big east. Try to score on him. You can't.

Joey - close to a triple double. Doing it all. Bringing the ball up, playing D on Govan. Best passer on the team. I want 4 years.

Sacar - designed play to go to him or Sam at the end of the game there, great drive just didn't fall. Had some big points down the stretch, played great defense. Glue.

Brendan - what can you say. Hasn't played well all season on offense and when we needed him most he stepped up, on BOTH ends of the floor. Thought his D was phenomenal today. He's a long defender who will terrorize big east guards until he's 24 (hopefully). I think he was shaking off the rust this season up until now, being off 2 years and such. If he can contribute down the stretch here.... We add a whole new dimension. Mark my words - on this team, he has the highest NBA ceiling.

Heldt - nothing negative. A few positives. Nice to know he's available off the bench and can still hoop.

Guys - something special about this team.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2019, 01:03:45 AM »
I've only watched a few minutes of Georgetown this year, but still shocked they didn't try out a real press at some point. We weren't playing a PG; can't hurt to try it for a few possessions.

Apparently what the real coach chose to do worked just fine.

Wait, you think Georgetown wanted to lose????
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2019, 01:04:42 AM »
Man what a game.  Fun to watch.  I hate to say it but I'd like to see 1-2 more games without Markus because I think it was great for the team.  Almost everyone stepped up.  I'm not criticizing Markus - I'm on record about him being a "once in a lifetime" type of player - but I also think he's so good he has an effect on his teammates confidence.  Sam was always confident.. when he gets the touches he gets the points, but the change in confidence could be seen in Sacar, Bailey, and Theo.

JC^2 only problem is confidence.  Both of them.  Hope they can find it... one more game without Markus and they might. 

The defense... wow.  Theo is a stud and Bailey adds a whole new dimension that I can't recall ever seeing in a Marquette uniform.  Sacar is so under-rated as a defender.  Takes the other team's best or most active player every game and still scores. 

The lineup with Sacar, Point Sam, Joey, Brendan and Theo is VERY interesting.  I'd like to see more of it. 

Markus - rest up, heal fully, we're going to need you down the stretch, but for the next two games, let's let the other guys step up. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2019, 08:17:33 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401083257

Chartouny only credited with one turnover.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2019, 08:19:49 AM »
Which, in Sand-Knit's eyes, makes Sacar "not very good at all" and the "worst 2 in BE by far."

Sacar is reason #1 why you can't categorize players in the traditional 1-5 roles.  Yeah he officially is a "guard," but his offensive game is much more like an undersized slasher, but he can guard the opposition's top perimeter player.  Calling Sacar a "2" doesn't reflect the role he plays on the team. 

JC^2 only problem is confidence.  Both of them.  Hope they can find it... one more game without Markus and they might. 

Well I would like to think so, but the games are moving too fast for both of them.  Chartouny is just a back up PG who can play defense, and Jamal looks like he is thinking too much out there.  I wouldn't expect big minutes out of either one of them if Howard is out awhile.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2019, 08:43:35 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401083257

Chartouny only credited with one turnover.

People asking why Georgetown didn't press...they did briefly. They went to the press and Wojo responded by bringing in Chartouny. He didn't play particularly well, and was definitely hesistant, but just showing that willingness to throw him in there seemed to get GT out of the press until the final minute or so.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2019, 08:49:30 AM »
This.  Hopefully, Sam builds on this assertiveness and does that when Markus is on the floor.  This season so far, other teams have had to game plan for Markus, knowing that everything ran through him.  That's not to say they didn't factor in Sammy or Joey, but before last night, everything ran through Markus.  To have an assertive Sam every game would open up a lot of looks for everyone. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »
Sacar is reason #1 why you can't categorize players in the traditional 1-5 roles.  Yeah he officially is a "guard," but his offensive game is much more like an undersized slasher, but he can guard the opposition's top perimeter player.  Calling Sacar a "2" doesn't reflect the role he plays on the team. 

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Sand-Knit is the one who called him that. You are of course right.

On defense, Sacar's role is fairly similar to what Lockett's was in 2012-13 -- defend the opponents' best perimeter player, grab some boards, do the dirty work. On offense, his game is like a poor man's JJJ -- slash to the hoop, hit the occasional jumper. He's better than Lockett was, not as talented offensively as JJJ was.

He's just a basketball player, far more valuable to this team than his numbers. Glad we have him for this season and next. With McEwen coming in, Elliott coming back, Bailey developing, etc, his minutes could go down some next season, but that would be OK. Nobody should be playing 39 minutes if they don't absolutely have to.

Sacar and Theo are vital cogs to what this machine is about. I love 'em!

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2019, 09:28:59 AM »
Great win last night.  It was so good to see everybody step up and show what they can do when the offense isn't Markus-centric. Having watched UW/Maryland the night before, I saw a similar phenomena - Happ went to the bench with four fouls at 10 minutes left in the 2nd half, and suddenly the team started playing basketball instead of "get the ball to Happ."  They cut through a 15+ pt deficit to gain a 1 pt lead with a couple minutes left.  Of course, it probably helped that Bruno Fernando was also on the bench with four fouls, but they honestly looked like a different team - passing the ball, spreading the scoring around, scoring in lots of different ways.  Our guys did the same last night.  Now Wojo needs to figure out how to integrate that with Markus in the game.  It's going to be a good season.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2019, 09:31:45 AM »
People asking why Georgetown didn't press...they did briefly. They went to the press and Wojo responded by bringing in Chartouny. He didn't play particularly well, and was definitely hesistant, but just showing that willingness to throw him in there seemed to get GT out of the press until the final minute or so.

I really don't think GTOWN stopped the press because Chart was put in.  Sam and Joey got the ball over the half line much of the time.  I don't see Chart as a press break talent. 

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2019, 09:32:30 AM »
"The team played like there was no edmorrow" is my favorite recap  point in the history of scoop.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2019, 09:32:47 AM »
This.  Hopefully, Sam builds on this assertiveness and does that when Markus is on the floor.  This season so far, other teams have had to game plan for Markus, knowing that everything ran through him.  That's not to say they didn't factor in Sammy or Joey, but before last night, everything ran through Markus.  To have an assertive Sam every game would open up a lot of looks for everyone. 

I agree that this game was a great step forward for this team. I think Sam has the toughest job on this team in that his role changes the most from night to night. Because he can do it all, he's often asked to, and he's the glue guy leader and everyone knows it.  MH is Banks and Sam is Charlie Conway.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2019, 10:01:12 AM »

I'm afraid the JCS experiment has failed, tonight was perhaps his last opportunity.  Too bad, I was very optimistic when we signed him, but it just isn't working out.  Without a backup point, Markus is even more vital to this team that he already was.  He needs to be healthy and will be playing 36 mins/game.

I'm not giving up on Joe C.  The way I see it is he's overthinking  this "Pass first mentality" which tends to destroying  his  natural offensive shooting options.  Once he has an big offensive game from the Get- Go he will have more confidence in settling back to who we thought he is.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2019, 01:09:35 PM »

I really don't think GTOWN stopped the press because Chart was put in.  Sam and Joey got the ball over the half line much of the time.  I don't see Chart as a press break talent.

I'm not sure why they did, but I recall they stopped pressing almost immediately after JC came in. Not sure if it's coincidence or Ewing just felt they weren't getting anywhere with it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »
"The team played like there was no edmorrow" is my favorite recap  point in the history of scoop.
;D
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2019, 03:18:58 PM »
I agree that this game was a great step forward for this team. I think Sam has the toughest job on this team in that his role changes the most from night to night. Because he can do it all, he's often asked to, and he's the glue guy leader and everyone knows it.  MH is Banks and Sam is Charlie Conway.

Please, give a little credit to Sam, he’s way more talented than Conway was.

feedback