Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mark-us down for a conference road win  (Read 7667 times)

tower912

• All American
Mark-us down for a conference road win
« on: January 15, 2019, 09:47:03 PM »
1.  The team played like there was no edmorrow.     Cannot ask for a better effort.   
2.   THIS is why you build depth.  So much balance.   Honestly, possibly my favorite game of the year so far.   
3.   Theo John is a bad man.  He got the Hoya bigs in foul trouble.   Now stop committing cheap fouls.   And make some free throws.    Ners was right.   And so was everyone who predicted foul trouble.   
4.  I am whistling past the graveyard and believing this is just a short term thing for Markus.   If it isn't, then the redshirt has to be lifted off of GE.
5.   Wojo...'next man up.    Fire all of your bullets'     Damn demotivation.      And the whole team knew the whole play book.   
6.  Sam at the point.   Chartouny at the point.   Sacar at the point.    Token pressure, no problem.
7.   Sam stepped up and lead.   In so many ways.   SOTG.
8.   But who didn't step up?   Maybe we can still grumble about Chartouny and Cain?   
9.   There were definitely some combinations on the floor that no one would have predicted a few days ago.
10.  Brendan Bailey.   Welcome.   
11.   Jamal Cain should have played a few more minutes just to get Sam and Joey a couple minutes of rest during the course of the game.    Both were gassed down the stretch.
12.  Defense wins championships.   This MU team plays defense. 
13.   What does it all mean?    MU stepped up and played their ass off tonight without Markus.   Or Morrow.   There is depth and talent.    Character has been revealed.    The outcome is nearly irrelevant in the big picture.     Marquette Warriors took a huge step forward tonight. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
Re: Mark-us down for a conference road win
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 09:47:54 PM »
Huge win! That was a sweet victory.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 09:51:37 PM »
1.  The team played like there was no edmorrow.     Cannot ask for a better effort.

Love it. In the Creighton game, one of the announcers had a very smooth "passes it tomorrow!" that had me chuckling.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 09:52:02 PM »
I love this team. Everyone stepped up. HUGE contributions from Sam, Theo, Sacar, Brendan.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 09:52:37 PM »

connie

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »
Great game.  All around toughness and execution.  Loved Creighton, but agree this may be my fave game of the year.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 09:54:01 PM »
A very solid Team effort .  This should be a big confidence builder for these young kids. Road win against Georgetown is always a good thing and cause for celebration.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:54:10 PM »
He won’t get SOTG, but for the season’s sake and as an enormous confidence booster, hats off to Bailey.

If we get that guy again the rest of the year? Oh boy.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »
BB was unsung hero. He is going to be a player.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 09:55:10 PM »
Character revealed

I thought Brendan's defense was unbelievably huge.

Thought Cain's defense was good as well.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 09:55:52 PM »
I've only watched a few minutes of Georgetown this year, but still shocked they didn't try out a real press at some point. We weren't playing a PG; can't hurt to try it for a few possessions.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 09:57:29 PM »

Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 09:58:18 PM »
I've only watched a few minutes of Georgetown this year, but still shocked they didn't try out a real press at some point. We weren't playing a PG; can't hurt to try it for a few possessions.

Apparently what the real coach chose to do worked just fine.
Have some patience, FFS.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 10:00:39 PM »
So much yogurt in my shorts
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 10:01:33 PM »
Really gritty effort.  Team loses Markus and then Joey proves to be totally ineffective and the guys rally around each other and gut one out.  Could be a real turning point for the year.  Hopefully Markus is back Sunday and everyone can see that we don’t need one guy to score.

Happy to see BB step up and contribute and Theo’s development has been a joy to watch.  Needle pointing way up for this season and program.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:03 PM »
Such a great win. Not looking forward to seeing McClung the next 3.5 years. When the ball not in his hands at the end I felt much better.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:10 PM »
So many good contributions across the board. You can't teach the length and athleticism of BB, he was so good defensively and finally got some shots to fall. If this game helps him build some confidence, look out.

Good defensive effort across the board though, solid help, good pick and roll defense and solid minutes off the bench from BB, Matt, etc.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:21 PM »
Said at halftime Sam had to shoot to win.  He did.

Believe Joe C. will be sitting, something wrong with the guy, like he's scared. Bring in Bailey (9 points, 4 blocks, no turnovers) and Sacar can bring up ball help.  He did very good tonight with ball handling, even though bad shooting night.

Joey had a quite 10 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists.  Some say ineffective?

Sacar was on McClung, but Bailey was on Akinjo.  Akinjo shot 1 for 10 from field. 

I don't think Cain played one minute in second half.  Joe C. played maybe five.

Ewing was pissed at his team because he probably wanted them to go to Govan.  But the freshman Akinjo at 6ft went straight at the basket being covered by 6ft 9 Bailey and Theo waiting.  Dumb. 

I know Wojo beat #1 Nova, but this win is pretty cool for him.  No Morrow, no Markus and basically first guard off bench in Joe C.   3 out of your first 8 in rotation.  Fun to watch and team was pumped at end.   

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:51 PM »
I’ll be Debbie Downer for a split second. Chartouny was brutal tonight. I don’t know what that was, but luckily Woj and staff recognized it.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 10:04:56 PM »
Joey had 5 TO’s and I wish they would have him give it up when he brings the ball up.  He might be able to do that in 12 months or so, but not now.  Too loose with the handle at this point.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 10:05:46 PM »
JC failed big time with his biggest opportunity this season. That was epically bad. He had no clue what to do with the ball in his hands and was poor on d. So bad
No Finish Line

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 10:08:36 PM »
I’ll be Debbie Downer for a split second. Chartouny was brutal tonight. I don’t know what that was, but luckily Woj and staff recognized it.

He's been bad all season. Hesitate to shoot, loose with the ball and way, way too many unforced turnovers. Wojo finally had it tonight.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:11:40 PM by RJax55 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 10:10:17 PM »
After Wojo's big speech in the huddle in the first half about next man up and fire all your bullets, he and Cain were the two guys who were tentative.    Their minutes reflected that.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 10:11:36 PM »
2.   THIS is why you build depth.  So much balance.   Honestly, possibly my favorite game of the year so far.   
3.   Theo John is a bad man.  He got the Hoya bigs in foul trouble.   Now stop committing cheap fouls.   And make some free throws.    Ners was right.   And so was everyone who predicted foul trouble.   
4.  I am whistling past the graveyard and believing this is just a short term thing for Markus.   If it isn't, then the redshirt has to be lifted off of GE.
5.   Wojo...'next man up.    Fire all of your bullets'     Damn demotivation.      And the whole team knew the whole play book.   
6.  Sam at the point.   Chartouny at the point.   Sacar at the point.    Token pressure, no problem.
8.   But who didn't step up?   Maybe we can still grumble about Chartouny and Cain?   
9.   There were definitely some combinations on the floor that no one would have predicted a few days ago.
11.   Jamal Cain should have played a few more minutes just to get Sam and Joey a couple minutes of rest during the course of the game.    Both were gassed down the stretch.
13.   What does it all mean?    MU stepped up and played their ass off tonight without Markus.   Or Morrow.   There is depth and talent.    Character has been revealed.    The outcome is nearly irrelevant in the big picture.     Marquette Warriors took a huge step forward tonight.

Sam is officially back to being a stud. As I said in another post earlier today, he looked more athletic and less labored the last couple/few games. Tonight clinched it. We need him!!!!

Well, I can't speak for others. All I said about Theo was that I hope he doesn't get into foul trouble, and I was worried about not having Ed if he did. I don't think that's some kind of out-of-left-field concern. What I actually said was that Theo has been so much better this season about avoiding the kinds of fouls that killed him last year. What a BEast beast!

Agree about Elliott. tower. Said the same to my wife. Hope it doesn't come down to that, obviously. Long-term, we need Markus. (I know ... call me Capt. Obvious.)

Joey wasn't as big a scorer as I thought he'd have to be when it became obvious that Markus was done for the night, but man does he do a ton of little things. (And lots of big things.)

Bailey's defense was huge in this game. Huge.

I must have said at least a dozen times, "Man, I'm surprised Georgetown doesn't press us, at least a little. I sure am glad, though."

I love this team. Loved watching Markus "coaching." Loved the contributions we got from everybody who played (except JCS, who is struggling). And I agree tower that this in particular was an easy game to love.

Great job by Wojo, who is becoming a heck of a coach. In the last 11 days, he designed the PERFECT inbound play to help steal us our first road win, pushed all the right buttons to get this Markus-less team to get our second road win, got a couple of home victories, and landed a 4-star recruit. Bueno!

Oh, and that's 4 straight BEast wins for the coach who can't win 3.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:13:17 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 10:13:15 PM »
Joey had 5 TO’s and I wish they would have him give it up when he brings the ball up.  He might be able to do that in 12 months or so, but not now.  Too loose with the handle at this point.
I don’t recall Joeys turnovers being caused while he was bringing the ball up the court.
Maybe they were but I thought there was a few strips in the lane and out on the arc,

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 10:13:32 PM »
BB was unsung hero. He is going to be a player.

I have been wholly unimpressed by him all season, but man, he really showed what he was made of tonight.  When it mattered the most.  He could be a huge asset if he plays with that kind of confidence.
Farva:"Give me six Schlitzes."
O'Hagan: "Take it easy, Rod."
Farva: "Open bar, dude!"

whitykj

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 10:17:56 PM »
I have to say it but I was really impressed with how Georgetown played.  I can see them making a run and making the tournament. 

I am also beyond impressed of the character of these guys.  It isn't easy knowing you wont have your best player for the game, and being able to win on the road against a dangerous team.  Everyone stepped up and even though Sam had a huge night this truly feels like a team win.  Both teams played well enough to win, the difference it seems was the youth of Georgetown.  Now that these guys have the confidence that they can score without relying on Markus, It's just going to open up so much more so hopefully this team can reach its full potential.  Everything is falling into place nicely. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:29:57 PM by whitykj »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 10:18:00 PM »
Win as a team, lose as a team.

Ed out, Markus goes down, JC struggling -- everybody else stepped up. Great road win in the conference. Amazing performance by Sam. Brendan shows his potential. Point guard by committee. Tough defense. Big rebounds. This team has guts and heart.

Another really nice write-up, Tower. It's the first thing I look for on Scoop postgame.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 10:19:10 PM »
From an in-game coaching perspective, that's not a game for Patrick Ewing to add to his coaching reel.

Almost zero backcourt pressure
In the halfcourt, didnt extend his defense
Failed to get Govan a shot on the final possession

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 10:19:39 PM »
I have to say it but I was really impressed with how Georgetown played.  I can see them making a run and making the tournament. 

I am also beyond impressed to the character of these guys.  It isn't easy knowing you wont have your best player for the game, and being able to win on the road against a dangerous team.  Everyone stepped up and even though Sam had a huge night this truly feels like a team win.  Both teams played well enough to win, the difference it seemed like was the youth of Georgetown.  Now that these guys have the confidence that they can score without relying on Markus, It's just going to open up so much more so hopefully this team can reach its full potential.  Everything is falling into place nicely.

Agree about Georgetown. They're too young, especially in the backcourt, to be a factor this season, but I like the talent of a lot of their players.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 10:22:42 PM »
From an in-game coaching perspective, that's not a game for Patrick Ewing to add to his coaching reel.

Agreed, I thought Woj destroyed Ewing tonight. Pat seems in over his head with in game decisions.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2019, 10:24:04 PM »
There were 3 straight possessions near the end that would be kindly called chaotic.
D won this one.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2019, 10:25:48 PM »
Shout out to Matt heldt. He always seems to have these games where he’s just clutch.  I love Matt and what he means to this team

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 10:28:36 PM »

Agreed, I thought Patrick did a really poor job tonight. Couldn’t believe he didn’t pressure Marquette more, especially in the second half.
The guys handling the ball did very well today but I think we would have seen a lot more turnovers with pressure

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2019, 10:28:42 PM »

I think that last possession his freshman PG might have gone rogue

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2019, 10:33:24 PM »

Yes, Georgetown went on runs each time he came in.  Much was caused by him.  I think his PT will continue to go down.
Solid thread title.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:36:00 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 10:35:30 PM »
I think that last possession his freshman PG might have gone rogue

Likely. But with freshman guards, he should have in-bounded the ball directly to Govan.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 10:37:15 PM »

Well done, Tower - all the salient points touched on.

Definitely my favorite game of the season - super performance from our road warriors! Now let's get healthy.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2019, 10:37:23 PM »
Ewing is fun on the sideline - he tells his players what the fans are thinking.  I don’t know that he’ll be a great coach, but I’m rooting for him
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2019, 10:41:54 PM »
Agree. Bailey grew up tonight. He has a long way to go but he can play defense and he has a sweet stroke. When he gets going in a year or so he could be good. Sam...stud. I don’t care what anyone says Sacar is vital to this team and watching him live he is a force throughout the game. Don’t understand the criticism of Joey. Yes he made some freshman moves but overall a solid game. So glad to see the team do want it did on the road.  Folks were saying this would be close or a loss with Marcus and Ed. Given how big GU is winning without our star AND Ed on the road seems just huge to me. Go MU!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2019, 10:43:33 PM »
Agree. Bailey grew up tonight. He has a long way to go but he can play defense and he has a sweet stroke. When he gets going in a year or so he could be good. Sam...stud. I don’t care what anyone says Sacar is vital to this team and watching him live he is a force throughout the game. Don’t understand the criticism of Joey. Yes he made some freshman moves but overall a solid game. So glad to see the team do want it did on the road.  Folks were saying this would be close or a loss with Marcus and Ed. Given how big GU is winning without our star AND Ed on the road seems just huge to me. Go MU!

Sacar is the ultimate role player. Will step up when needed or play his role.

Wish that lay up fell at the end there

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2019, 10:47:27 PM »
Sacar is the ultimate role player. Will step up when needed or play his role.

Sacar reminds me of Lockett, the steady eddie for Buzz's E8 team, but IMHO Sacar is more athletic and more talented all-around. And his stats are better, too.

Even on a night when he didn't shoot well, he came up huge over and over again, and he even did a more than passable job at the point. He was a major reason we scored a big road win without the BEast MVP.

Which, in Sand-Knit's eyes, makes Sacar "not very good at all" and the "worst 2 in BE by far."

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 10:50:52 PM »
Ewing is fun on the sideline - he tells his players what the fans are thinking.  I don’t know that he’ll be a great coach, but I’m rooting for him

Totally agree. This conference is cool

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 10:52:37 PM »
That game did not have the look or feel of a win.  Incredible effort tonight by Sam and his surrounding cast.  I expect Brendan to be part of the rotation going forward. 

Theo was a beast, again!

I'm afraid the JCS experiment has failed, tonight was perhaps his last opportunity.  Too bad, I was very optimistic when we signed him, but it just isn't working out.  Without a backup point, Markus is even more vital to this team that he already was.  He needs to be healthy and will be playing 36 mins/game.

Cain is a very good defender, but his playing time won't increase until he can take care of the ball.  I see very little physical development from year one to year two with him.  He needs to tighten his handle and gain 25 lbs in the off season.

Wojo was great.

Gritty win!  Keeps us in the hunt for a BE title!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 10:54:25 PM »
Sacar reminds me of Lockett, the steady eddie for Buzz's E8 team, but IMHO Sacar is more athletic and more talented all-around. And his stats are better, too.

Even on a night when he didn't shoot well, he came up huge over and over again, and he even did a more than passable job at the point. He was a major reason we scored a big road win without the BEast MVP.

Which, in Sand-Knit's eyes, makes Sacar "not very good at all" and the "worst 2 in BE by far."

This was my favorite game of his career. Major versatility, and he was great attacking from the point. It almost seems like a natural position for him

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2019, 10:55:27 PM »
How about that reverse layup by sacar in the 2nd half??? crazy

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2019, 10:56:08 PM »
What happened to GURU? The little whiner was posting like a madman when he thought we were going to lose.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2019, 10:56:16 PM »
One other point, in the 10 minutes he played,  Matt made some key contributions. Great to have him when we need him.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2019, 10:57:10 PM »

It was the #10 play on SportsCenter. Shoulda been higher!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2019, 10:58:05 PM »

Great hang time, great extension to finish

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2019, 10:58:30 PM »
This is your best title to date tower.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2019, 11:01:30 PM »
If Markus is going to miss some time, now is the time. Providence and DePaul coming to Milwaukee, MU doesn’t get on a plane again for 10 more days. Even then it’s Xavier and Butler.

MU’s first two games in February against the Johnnie’s & Nova (both in Milwaukee) will go a long way to determining the conference.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2019, 11:01:55 PM »
What happened to GURU? The little whiner was posting like a madman when he thought we were going to lose.

He is not master of his domain. Seinfeld reference.

Seriously, a post like that allows him to claim being "right" regardless of the result.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2019, 11:03:45 PM »
Shout out to Matt heldt. He always seems to have these games where he’s just clutch.  I love Matt and what he means to this team

Yep. Got to meet his dad one time. Told him I loved watching him play.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2019, 11:05:45 PM »

The game thread ...  you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

The same can be said for every one of them.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2019, 11:31:59 PM »
I really like assertive Sam. Felt like he was a little too deferential before. Feel like having a "team" game will help a lot in the long run to make sure the ball doesn't stick in hands too much and that our offense doesnt resort a ton to "hope MH gets open."
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2019, 11:34:40 PM »
I really like assertive Sam. Felt like he was a little too deferential before. Feel like having a "team" game will help a lot in the long run to make sure the ball doesn't stick in hands too much and that our offense doesnt resort a ton to "hope MH gets open."

Yep - this game does a ton for the confidence of our guys and Markus' confidence in them.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2019, 12:02:58 AM »

Sacar is crucial to this team's continued success.  He does so much that never appears on a stat sheet, and I agree he appeared to be at least capable a s a back up point.  His biggest weakness is his outside shot, but hopefully Coach Nelson will work with him on that during the off season like he did with JJJ a couple of years ago.    Nelson helped improve JJJ's outside shot considerably from his Jr year to Sr. Year so if he can do the same with Sacar he'll be even more dangerous.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2019, 12:14:52 AM »
Sacar is crucial to this team's continued success.  He does so much that never appears on a stat sheet, and I agree he appeared to be at least capable a s a back up point.  His biggest weakness is his outside shot, but hopefully Coach Nelson will work with him on that during the off season like he did with JJJ a couple of years ago.    Nelson helped improve JJJ's outside shot considerably from his Jr year to Sr. Year so if he can do the same with Sacar he'll be even more dangerous.

Sacar's 3 pctg has improved some, from .235 last season to .290 so far this season. He has gone 4-12 (.333) so far in the BEast season. Not exactly Steph Curry, but gradual improvement. Hoping for more, of course!

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2019, 12:27:18 AM »
Couple things today man. I'm ecstatic about that win.

That was the most impressive win of the season. Talk about grinding it out.

Sam - Career high 31 AND PLAYING POINT GUARD.

Theo - game winning block and best defender in the big east. Try to score on him. You can't.

Joey - close to a triple double. Doing it all. Bringing the ball up, playing D on Govan. Best passer on the team. I want 4 years.

Sacar - designed play to go to him or Sam at the end of the game there, great drive just didn't fall. Had some big points down the stretch, played great defense. Glue.

Brendan - what can you say. Hasn't played well all season on offense and when we needed him most he stepped up, on BOTH ends of the floor. Thought his D was phenomenal today. He's a long defender who will terrorize big east guards until he's 24 (hopefully). I think he was shaking off the rust this season up until now, being off 2 years and such. If he can contribute down the stretch here.... We add a whole new dimension. Mark my words - on this team, he has the highest NBA ceiling.

Heldt - nothing negative. A few positives. Nice to know he's available off the bench and can still hoop.

Guys - something special about this team.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2019, 01:03:45 AM »

Apparently what the real coach chose to do worked just fine.

Wait, you think Georgetown wanted to lose????
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2019, 01:04:42 AM »
Man what a game.  Fun to watch.  I hate to say it but I'd like to see 1-2 more games without Markus because I think it was great for the team.  Almost everyone stepped up.  I'm not criticizing Markus - I'm on record about him being a "once in a lifetime" type of player - but I also think he's so good he has an effect on his teammates confidence.  Sam was always confident.. when he gets the touches he gets the points, but the change in confidence could be seen in Sacar, Bailey, and Theo.

JC^2 only problem is confidence.  Both of them.  Hope they can find it... one more game without Markus and they might. 

The defense... wow.  Theo is a stud and Bailey adds a whole new dimension that I can't recall ever seeing in a Marquette uniform.  Sacar is so under-rated as a defender.  Takes the other team's best or most active player every game and still scores. 

The lineup with Sacar, Point Sam, Joey, Brendan and Theo is VERY interesting.  I'd like to see more of it. 

Markus - rest up, heal fully, we're going to need you down the stretch, but for the next two games, let's let the other guys step up. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2019, 08:17:33 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401083257

Chartouny only credited with one turnover.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2019, 08:19:49 AM »

Sacar is reason #1 why you can't categorize players in the traditional 1-5 roles.  Yeah he officially is a "guard," but his offensive game is much more like an undersized slasher, but he can guard the opposition's top perimeter player.  Calling Sacar a "2" doesn't reflect the role he plays on the team. 

JC^2 only problem is confidence.  Both of them.  Hope they can find it... one more game without Markus and they might. 

Well I would like to think so, but the games are moving too fast for both of them.  Chartouny is just a back up PG who can play defense, and Jamal looks like he is thinking too much out there.  I wouldn't expect big minutes out of either one of them if Howard is out awhile.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2019, 08:43:35 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401083257

Chartouny only credited with one turnover.

People asking why Georgetown didn't press...they did briefly. They went to the press and Wojo responded by bringing in Chartouny. He didn't play particularly well, and was definitely hesistant, but just showing that willingness to throw him in there seemed to get GT out of the press until the final minute or so.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2019, 08:49:30 AM »
This.  Hopefully, Sam builds on this assertiveness and does that when Markus is on the floor.  This season so far, other teams have had to game plan for Markus, knowing that everything ran through him.  That's not to say they didn't factor in Sammy or Joey, but before last night, everything ran through Markus.  To have an assertive Sam every game would open up a lot of looks for everyone. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »
Sacar is reason #1 why you can't categorize players in the traditional 1-5 roles.  Yeah he officially is a "guard," but his offensive game is much more like an undersized slasher, but he can guard the opposition's top perimeter player.  Calling Sacar a "2" doesn't reflect the role he plays on the team. 

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Sand-Knit is the one who called him that. You are of course right.

On defense, Sacar's role is fairly similar to what Lockett's was in 2012-13 -- defend the opponents' best perimeter player, grab some boards, do the dirty work. On offense, his game is like a poor man's JJJ -- slash to the hoop, hit the occasional jumper. He's better than Lockett was, not as talented offensively as JJJ was.

He's just a basketball player, far more valuable to this team than his numbers. Glad we have him for this season and next. With McEwen coming in, Elliott coming back, Bailey developing, etc, his minutes could go down some next season, but that would be OK. Nobody should be playing 39 minutes if they don't absolutely have to.

Sacar and Theo are vital cogs to what this machine is about. I love 'em!

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2019, 09:28:59 AM »
Great win last night.  It was so good to see everybody step up and show what they can do when the offense isn't Markus-centric. Having watched UW/Maryland the night before, I saw a similar phenomena - Happ went to the bench with four fouls at 10 minutes left in the 2nd half, and suddenly the team started playing basketball instead of "get the ball to Happ."  They cut through a 15+ pt deficit to gain a 1 pt lead with a couple minutes left.  Of course, it probably helped that Bruno Fernando was also on the bench with four fouls, but they honestly looked like a different team - passing the ball, spreading the scoring around, scoring in lots of different ways.  Our guys did the same last night.  Now Wojo needs to figure out how to integrate that with Markus in the game.  It's going to be a good season.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2019, 09:31:45 AM »
People asking why Georgetown didn't press...they did briefly. They went to the press and Wojo responded by bringing in Chartouny. He didn't play particularly well, and was definitely hesistant, but just showing that willingness to throw him in there seemed to get GT out of the press until the final minute or so.

I really don't think GTOWN stopped the press because Chart was put in.  Sam and Joey got the ball over the half line much of the time.  I don't see Chart as a press break talent. 

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2019, 09:32:30 AM »
"The team played like there was no edmorrow" is my favorite recap  point in the history of scoop.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2019, 09:32:47 AM »
This.  Hopefully, Sam builds on this assertiveness and does that when Markus is on the floor.  This season so far, other teams have had to game plan for Markus, knowing that everything ran through him.  That's not to say they didn't factor in Sammy or Joey, but before last night, everything ran through Markus.  To have an assertive Sam every game would open up a lot of looks for everyone. 

I agree that this game was a great step forward for this team. I think Sam has the toughest job on this team in that his role changes the most from night to night. Because he can do it all, he's often asked to, and he's the glue guy leader and everyone knows it.  MH is Banks and Sam is Charlie Conway.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2019, 10:01:12 AM »

I'm afraid the JCS experiment has failed, tonight was perhaps his last opportunity.  Too bad, I was very optimistic when we signed him, but it just isn't working out.  Without a backup point, Markus is even more vital to this team that he already was.  He needs to be healthy and will be playing 36 mins/game.

I'm not giving up on Joe C.  The way I see it is he's overthinking  this "Pass first mentality" which tends to destroying  his  natural offensive shooting options.  Once he has an big offensive game from the Get- Go he will have more confidence in settling back to who we thought he is.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2019, 01:09:35 PM »

I really don't think GTOWN stopped the press because Chart was put in.  Sam and Joey got the ball over the half line much of the time.  I don't see Chart as a press break talent.

I'm not sure why they did, but I recall they stopped pressing almost immediately after JC came in. Not sure if it's coincidence or Ewing just felt they weren't getting anywhere with it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »
"The team played like there was no edmorrow" is my favorite recap  point in the history of scoop.
;D

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2019, 03:18:58 PM »
I agree that this game was a great step forward for this team. I think Sam has the toughest job on this team in that his role changes the most from night to night. Because he can do it all, he's often asked to, and he's the glue guy leader and everyone knows it.  MH is Banks and Sam is Charlie Conway.

Please, give a little credit to Sam, he’s way more talented than Conway was.