[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Interesting Story About The Struggles of UW-Stevens Point  (Read 9454 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Interesting Story About The Struggles of UW-Stevens Point
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2019, 09:48:06 AM »
Freshman year at MU I took an American History class and the professor starts the class by saying "this is college level history, which is different than HS.  In HS, you probably had a history teacher with the first name 'Coach'".  The professor was awesome.  I can't remember his name, but he looked like Johnny Carson and didn't have a left hand.

Karel Bicha

He used to read excerpts from A Prairie Home Companion in his class.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2019, 10:14:17 AM »
All of my HS history teachers were sports coaches... and they were all dumber than a box of rocks.  A couple couldn't even read the text books.  I would expect more from a history major than that...

Hell... after watching a few Time Life videos, I could probably teach a WWII History class better than most history majors, and certainly most phys ed majors.

I believe the answer to the original question is that to teach history in a public HS, you typically need to be a licensed/certified educator in your state, which for most people usually requires a bachelor's and some sort of training program.  I believe most BA-Education programs embed the training requirements into the curricula, so my guess is that you're more likely to see an ed major teaching history than a history major. 

But since they generally set their own standards, you may be more likely to see a history major actually teaching history in a private or charter school.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2019, 10:31:17 AM »
Here is where we disagree - not sure about his book but LeFevre posted some gems. This is pure F#CKING gold:

Pure F#CKING Gold, baby!

More from the genius of Goldman Sachs Elevator ...

#1: If you can only be good at one thing, be good at lying... because if you're good at lying, you're good at everything.

#1: Money can’t buy happiness but it solves 95% of the problems that make you unhappy.

#1: Some chick asked me what I would do with 10 million bucks. I told her I’d wonder where the rest of my money went.

#1: There was a time when we sent the undesirables to islands. Now you have to buy an island just to get away from them.

#1: Whenever someone asks how I’m doing, I usually just lie and say ‘good’, even though I’m doing a lot better than that.

#1: Only Neanderthals resort to violence. I prefer crushing one’s spirit, hope, or ego.

#1: It’s too bad stupidity isn’t painful.

#1: If someone has a tattoo saying, ‘Only God Can Judge Me’, I’m gonna prove them wrong.

#1: Too many people are smart enough to be angry, but not smart enough to be successful.

#1: Tattoos aren’t my thing. That’d be like putting a bumper sticker on a Lamborghini.

#1: I start every cell conversation with ‘my phone’s about to die’ so they don’t waste my time.

#1: I would pay like $500k to watch the Kardashians play scrabble.

#1: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them hairy wet cats?

#1: The lottery is just a way of taxing poor people who don't know math.

#1: If I could choose between world peace and a reasonable fortune, my first Lambo would be orange.

#1: If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullcrap.

#1: When life gives you lemons, order the lobster tail.

#1: Almost time for children to learn a valuable life lesson. Santa loves rich kids more.

#1: [At the gym] What machine should I use to impress the girls?
#2: The ATM.

#1: Listening to Obama talk about the economy is like listening to a chick talk about football.

#1: A guy came up to me at the gym and asked me what event I was training so hard for. Life, mf-er.

#1: YOLO is poor for carpe diem.

#1: Fact. Nearly 50% of all American workers have less than $10k saved for retirement.
#2: Damn. That wouldn't cover a ski weekend.

#1: Getting laid off from Goldman is like being traded by the Yankees. You’ll probably still make millions, but it’s just not the same.

#1: Black Friday is the Special Olympics of capitalism.

#1: Money might not buy happiness, but I'll take my chances!

#1: Handshakes and tie knots. I don't have time for someone who can't master those basic skills.

#1: I never give money to homeless people. I can't reward failure in good conscience.

#1: Groupon... Food stamps for the middle class.

#1: My garbage disposal eats better than 98% of the world.

#1: The fact that most people are too stupid to know how dumb they really are is the fabric holding our society together.

#1: All cats are libertarians. Completely dependent on others but fully convinced of their own independence.

#1: Talent is the only thing that stands between most people and their dreams.

#1: Do what you love’ is great advice for making 30k a year.

#1: It’s ok to be the lion. And it’s ok to be the gazelle. Either way, you just have to be faster than the slowest gazelle.

#1: The most and least successful people all share the same trait: thinking they’re never wrong.

#1: Statistically speaking, you shouldn’t worry about what your first wife’s mother looks like.

#1: If her first phone was an iPhone, she’s too young for you, bro.

#1: Some of the best moments in life are the ones you can’t tell anyone about.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2019, 10:34:26 AM »
Hell... after watching a few Time Life videos, I could probably teach a WWII History class better than most history majors, and certainly most phys ed majors.

I believe the answer to the original question is that to teach history in a public HS, you typically need to be a licensed/certified educator in your state, which for most people usually requires a bachelor's and some sort of training program.  I believe most BA-Education programs embed the training requirements into the curricula, so my guess is that you're more likely to see an ed major teaching history than a history major. 

But since they generally set their own standards, you may be more likely to see a history major actually teaching history in a private or charter school.

While there are exceptions, in Wisconsin you either have to be licensed in Elementary Education to teach K-5, or for grades 6-12, need to receive licesensing in a specific subject (in this case social studies) along with receiving teacher training.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2019, 11:00:10 AM »

Not sure how it is in other states, but a certain percentage of staff at charter schools here in North Cackalacky don't have to have certificates or any other education credentials. I think it's 20% or so.

In other words, if I impressed a charter school principal/board enough, I could show up today and get a full-time job teaching 7th-grade math. I actually taught a middle-school journalism course one year at the school where I coached ... it was more difficult than I expected!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2019, 01:18:02 PM »
Not sure how it is in other states, but a certain percentage of staff at charter schools here in North Cackalacky don't have to have certificates or any other education credentials. I think it's 20% or so.

In other words, if I impressed a charter school principal/board enough, I could show up today and get a full-time job teaching 7th-grade math. I actually taught a middle-school journalism course one year at the school where I coached ... it was more difficult than I expected!

So what you're saying is that you're more qualified as a math teacher than a journalism teacher?

In addition, I believe it's Indiana who also waives the standard licensing requirement in under-served areas provided that the person at least has a bachelor's degree, passes a background check, and diligently pursues the necessary credentials for licensing within a certain period of time.  I think they call it a provisional or temporary license or something.  So - if you passed the background check - you could be teaching at French Lick L. Bird HS this time next week!
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2019, 08:07:25 PM »
Freshman year at MU I took an American History class and the professor starts the class by saying "this is college level history, which is different than HS.  In HS, you probably had a history teacher with the first name 'Coach'".  The professor was awesome.  I can't remember his name, but he looked like Johnny Carson and didn't have a left hand.

"That was some wild and wacky history."

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2019, 09:59:51 PM »

So for 48 hours I was trying to figure out what you meant by this.  And it finally hit me this morning.  He's probably the last good chancellor they had.

I was skeptical when he was first elected governor but he was actually very effective as WI’s chief executive. Good consensus builder who worked both sides of the aisle. A non-career politician who served the people and not himself.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2019, 03:15:37 PM »
If memory serves, none other than one Richard Raymond Majerus was a history major at MU.

I have to believe that his mastery of linens and their absorbent properties was honed while sitting in the Varsity Theatre for Fr Donnelly's Western Civ survey course.

I graduated from MU in 2008 and had Fr. Donnelly's history classes. He was admittedly old as Moses, but was he really teaching when Majerus was a student?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2019, 03:28:22 PM »
I was initially very much against the changes UWSP is making. After more thought, I think it is an unfortunate consequence of finite resources, lack of demand, and demographics, and I understand the action. I still think it is sad and those shrugging it off as no big deal are mistaken. UWSP will certainly be the lesser for this. But I also recognize that resources are finite and hard decisions need to be made. Just some general observations:

1) Having a few survey courses available in history is NOT offering the same quality of courses (and professors) as it would if it sponsored a major. These will be very basic Western civ courses probably taught by adjuncts. Part of the magic of a university is discovering a topic you are interested in, and doing a deep dive, if not as a part of your major, then as an elective. The options for students will be much more limited.

2) The liberal arts are crucial to a well-informed populace and a functioning society. Will UWSP graduates no longer be able to contribute to this society because their school dropped a history major? Of course not. But it is a loss. Students in other majors will lose opportunities to learn more in a cross-discplinary nature. Maybe an English major wanted to learn more about Tudor England when Shakespeare wrote...well that class will probably no longer be available. Maybe a music major wanted to study Baroque Europe. Maybe a philsophy major wanted to learn more about Ancient Greece and Rome. You get the idea.

3) Undergraduate education is not a vocational school. There should be a wide range of learning opportunities available to help form a fully educated human. Finding employment after is one of several, but not the only, outcome of undergraduate studies.

Again, all things considered, I understand the action. But we also shouldn't act like it is of no consequence.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2019, 03:59:42 PM »
I was initially very much against the changes UWSP is making. After more thought, I think it is an unfortunate consequence of finite resources, lack of demand, and demographics, and I understand the action. I still think it is sad and those shrugging it off as no big deal are mistaken. UWSP will certainly be the lesser for this. But I also recognize that resources are finite and hard decisions need to be made. Just some general observations:

1) Having a few survey courses available in history is NOT offering the same quality of courses (and professors) as it would if it sponsored a major. These will be very basic Western civ courses probably taught by adjuncts. Part of the magic of a university is discovering a topic you are interested in, and doing a deep dive, if not as a part of your major, then as an elective. The options for students will be much more limited.

2) The liberal arts are crucial to a well-informed populace and a functioning society. Will UWSP graduates no longer be able to contribute to this society because their school dropped a history major? Of course not. But it is a loss. Students in other majors will lose opportunities to learn more in a cross-discplinary nature. Maybe an English major wanted to learn more about Tudor England when Shakespeare wrote...well that class will probably no longer be available. Maybe a music major wanted to study Baroque Europe. Maybe a philsophy major wanted to learn more about Ancient Greece and Rome. You get the idea.

3) Undergraduate education is not a vocational school. There should be a wide range of learning opportunities available to help form a fully educated human. Finding employment after is one of several, but not the only, outcome of undergraduate studies.

Again, all things considered, I understand the action. But we also shouldn't act like it is of no consequence.

What are the other outcomes then?  Students that truly thirst for history and would use it as a major to go onto graduate study will find universities where the major is offered.  The issue is there are far too many unemployable liberal arts grads from "lesser" institutions.  Even if a student is fortunate enough to attend university debt free, they graduate with their history or similar liberal arts degree and find themselves unemployable cause they are competing with students who are better prepared for jobs in the business or non-profit world based on their respective undergraduate curriculum.

When less then half the population went to college, then yes the romantic notion of attending a university to broaden your mind, get a well rounded diverse education, and learn to "think" was far more valid.  But now its become almost a pre-req and students need to separate themselves.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2019, 04:21:29 PM »
I graduated from MU in 2008 and had Fr. Donnelly's history classes. He was admittedly old as Moses, but was he really teaching when Majerus was a student?

I think the Towel Stainer was before Fr Donnelly's time.

I actually took J. Michael Phayer for the Western Civ survey course so I missed the fun and games of History at the Varsity. Phayer was a great guy.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2019, 08:20:13 PM »

Wags,

Your point is 100% correct: getting a position in I Banking is all about the interview. You have to nail it regardless of pedigree. The key is to be able to get the interview.

The absolute easiest path for getting into I Banking is to be a THG from MIT, Princeton, Harvard, Chicago, Michigan, or Cal. Every firm and fund in the world will beg you to join, despite your mouth breathing tendencies and dreadful sartorial sense. The problem for them, however, is that you are almost certainly not motivated by money but by the sheer joy of research and you will opt for a career inside the ivory tower investigating the nuances of Shroedinger's take on quantum mechanics. While this will inevitably limit your access to incredibly high quality p#ssy you likely won't ever notice because hyper equations are more pleasurable than a sloppy blow job any day of the week.   

The second easiest path to I Banking is to be in the upper 10% of your first-year Top 10 MBA class. Being in this crew guarantees an interview and, unless during said interview one pulls a Majerus on a partner's desk, you'll get an offer for a summer internship. Then you work like a dog all summer because this is the real interview; the reward is you head back to Wharton for your second year with not only an offer and all two-year expenses paid but every hot babe at Villanova, LaSalle, and St Joe's will drop her thong for you in a heartbeat before you finally settle down with Ainsley from Bryn Mawr.     

The third easiest path is to be a prepster legacy. The fact that you followed Dads, Uncle Atherton, and most of the partners by prepping at Phillips Exeter, Horace Mann, or Trinity then matriculating from Amherst, Williams, or Bowdoin with a degree in The Classics essentially ensures you will get the nod (starting, of course, after spending the summer on The Cape.) This model is more tailored for the smaller boutique firms which is the proper place for a man of breeding, in any event.

I know this is supposed to be satirical and Porky chuckled a little bit while reading but the unfortunate truth is this culture of Northeastern elitism which the baby speaks of  is not only alive, but thriving!   

Porky very recently had to attend a Yale squash banquet for a family obligation on the spouses side and the prep school references and jokes turned porky’s skin into rinds with the first 5 minutes.   Porky has rarely felt as uncomfotable.  Sad but true!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2019, 09:47:26 PM »
So what you're saying is that you're more qualified as a math teacher than a journalism teacher?

Hail no ... I went into journalism because they told me I wouldn't have to do math!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2019, 12:41:44 AM »
Hail no ... I went into journalism because they told me I wouldn't have to do math!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_FwkHaTWEn0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_FwkHaTWEn0</a>

feedback