[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by PointWarrior
[Today at 01:43:07 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Something that really bothers me about this MU team  (Read 8744 times)

muguru

• All American
Something that really bothers me about this MU team
« on: January 12, 2019, 08:34:30 PM »
They gutted it out today, and it was a good win. What a game by Theo! However...a lot of the reason they had to hang on in the end was because....they ALWAYS start slow the first 5-6 minutes of the 2nd half. It is absolutely uncanny how often this happens(always). I just don't get it...but it is irritating to say the least. There have been games this year with a better second half start(like today for example), they could have put their foot on their throats, and finished them within the first 5 minutes. Instead, as always, they let them back in. I'm really trying to figure out why they start so slow in the second halves of games .
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Something that really bothers me about this MU team
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 08:39:18 PM »
They gutted it out today, and it was a good win. What a game by Theo! However...a lot of the reason they had to hang on in the end was because....they ALWAYS start slow the first 5-6 minutes of the 2nd half. It is absolutely uncanny how often this happens(always). I just don't get it...but it is irritating to say the least. There have been games this year with a better second half start(like today for example), they could have put their foot on their throats, and finished them within the first 5 minutes. Instead, as always, they let them back in. I'm really trying to figure out why they start so slow in the second halves of games .

ALWAYS?

Nope
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 08:45:44 PM »
Todays game and the Kansas game are the only games that come to mind. Indiana and St.Johns games were over at half so its pointless bringing those up. Kansas one was an outlier where no one could throw the ball in the ocean and today we scored 2 points at the 15 min mark. Alot has to do with half time adjustments. I don't see this being an issue anymore than any other team. When the offense moves through Howard things like this may happen. Keep in mind the guy who guarded Howard today has locked down Ponds as well so it wasn't just luck that he contained Howard in the second half.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:15:37 PM »
I’m bored and was curious myself so this how MU has done in the first 4 minutes of the second half in each game (minus the UMBC game because it wasn’t on ESPN play by play for some reason).

MU score is on the left. Not bad overall imo.

Beth Cookman: 8-5
Indiana: 5-14
Presbyterian: 5-5
Kansas: 0-6
Louisville: 6-7
Char southern: 12-4
Kstate: 8-7
UTEP: 8-2
UW: 5-8
N dakota: 12-6
Buffalo: 8-9
Southern: 10-4
St. John’s: 8-10
Xavier: 5-2
Creighton: 8-5
Seton Hall: 2-7

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 09:20:04 PM »
I’m bored and was curious myself so this how MU has done in the first 4 minutes of the second half in each game (minus the UMBC game because it wasn’t on ESPN play by play for some reason).

ALWAYS
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 10:22:48 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 10:36:37 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 10:41:23 PM »
We are a high major program and the teams we compete against have good coaches who are experienced in making halftime adjustments. It is part of sports at this level. Thr key is to be able to counter those adjustments during the course of the second half.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 11:21:40 PM »
ALWAYS

Alright...let's however add a little more context to this...you can't just go by what the score was in those 5 minutes...it's how did they play in those 5 minutes...

UW- They committed 5 fouls in the first 5 minutes, shot 2-5 and committed 2 turnovers. Score was 33-32 UW at half...after the first 5 minutes UW had increased their lead to 45-39.

Buffalo- MU led 39-38 at half....Shot 4-9 in the first five minutes....Committed 4 fouls and had 1 TO...by the 15:05 mark, MU trailed 51-49 after leading by 1 at half.

Seton Hall- MU led 40-30 at halftime..MU shot 1-8, Had 1 TO...Their lead was cut in half to 44-39 at the 15 minute mark.

Xavier...MU led 35-26 at Halftime...MU shot 3-7, 3 TO's and 3 fouls Somehow MU actually increased their lead to 42-28. This was a good 5 minutes based on increasing their lead.

Louisville...MU trailed 35-30 at halftime...MU was 4-8 shooting, 2 TO's, 2 fouls...Lead stayed the same for UL 44-39

Kansas St...MU led 44-33 at Halftime....MU committed an ABSURD 7 fouls, 4 TO's..shot 3-5 and increased their lead by 1 to 54-42...Regardless of score, committing 7 fouls and turning it over 4 times in 5 minutes is TERRIBLE by any stretch of the imagination.

Indiana...MU trailed 47-34 at halftime...MU shot 2-5, Committed 3 fouls and turned it over once...instead of cutting into the deficit and perhaps getting back into the game...after the first 5 minutes MU trailed 61-40.

SJU...MU trailed 39-31 at half...MU shot 4-5, Committed 3 fouls and turned it over twice...MU trailed 51-41. Again, instead of cutting into the deficit the actually lost another 2 points to trail by 10.

Kansas...MU led 47-38 at Half....MU shot 0-5, Committed 3 TO's, 3 Fouls...and actually trailed 48-47 after the first five minutes...a chance to step on their throats, and perhaps put them out of their misery..and they play the worst 5 minutes of BB in quite some time.

Creighton...MU trailed 45-39 at half....MU shot 3-5, Committed 1 foul 0 turnovers and trailed 53-49. Pretty much a wash

I just detailed how MU played in the first 5 minutes of the second half of each game against the best teams on their schedule thus far..I'd say they have played 2 OK first 5 minutes of the 2nd half...against Xavier and Creighton, the rest have been poor(at best), and I don't think that can be argued.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 11:24:06 PM by muguru »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 11:54:57 PM »
Yesterdays first 5 of the second half were horrendous n definitely set the tone for the rest if the game.  As has been shown today was more if the exeption.

Where we have been poor is to start games.  Always great to play with the lead and we have been extremely slow starters. Apart from the buy games sans Buffalo, its been bad. We have won predominantly coming from behind tho.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 11:56:42 PM »
What's more important; how you start a half, or how you finish it?  Take a look at the time between the final media timeout, and the final whistle of those 10 games.  Of those 10, 6 had a margin of greater than 10.  These games were essentially over, and we went 3-3 in those 6 with loses to I4, KU, and StJ, and wins over K-State, Buffalo, and X.  The remaining 4, we were either trailing or tied going into the final stretch. 

Down 3 to Louisville with 3:44 to go, outscore them by 3 in regulation to send it to OT, then outscore them by 3 in OT.

Down 1 to UW with 3:42 to go, outscore them by 1 in regulation to send it to OT, then outscore them by 5 in OT.

Down 2 to CU with 3:12 to go, outscore them by 2 in regulation to send it to OT, then outscore them by 2 in OT.

Tied with SH with 3:40 to go, outscore them by 4 in regulation to win.

So of the 10 high quality teams we've played so far, we have 3 loses where the margin didn't matter in the final minutes, 3 wins where the margin didn't matter in the final minutes, and 4 close (1 possession) games where we are 4-0.  I would much rather have clutch play in crunch time, than in the first 4 minutes of a half.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 01:09:16 AM »
What's more important; how you start a half, or how you finish it?  Take a look at the time between the final media timeout, and the final whistle of those 10 games.  Of those 10, 6 had a margin of greater than 10.  These games were essentially over, and we went 3-3 in those 6 with loses to I4, KU, and StJ, and wins over K-State, Buffalo, and X.  The remaining 4, we were either trailing or tied going into the final stretch. 

Down 3 to Louisville with 3:44 to go, outscore them by 3 in regulation to send it to OT, then outscore them by 3 in OT.

Down 1 to UW with 3:42 to go, outscore them by 1 in regulation to send it to OT, then outscore them by 5 in OT.

Down 2 to CU with 3:12 to go, outscore them by 2 in regulation to send it to OT, then outscore them by 2 in OT.

Tied with SH with 3:40 to go, outscore them by 4 in regulation to win.

So of the 10 high quality teams we've played so far, we have 3 loses where the margin didn't matter in the final minutes, 3 wins where the margin didn't matter in the final minutes, and 4 close (1 possession) games where we are 4-0.  I would much rather have clutch play in crunch time, than in the first 4 minutes of a half.

You hit my point perfectly..which is..start the 2nd half better, step on their throats, and their wouldn't be a need for "clutch time". Bottom line is to win..and they have, but man oh man, they sure don't like to make it easy on themselves do they?

They aren't going to be able to depend on making all the big plays down the stretch when they need to all of the time. The law of averages says at some point you aren't going to make those plays so don't put yourself in that position where you have to so often you increase your odds that way.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 01:30:39 AM »
Alright...let's however add a little more context to this...you can't just go by what the score was in those 5 minutes...it's how did they play in those 5 minutes...

UW- They committed 5 fouls in the first 5 minutes, shot 2-5 and committed 2 turnovers. Score was 33-32 UW at half...after the first 5 minutes UW had increased their lead to 45-39.

Buffalo- MU led 39-38 at half....Shot 4-9 in the first five minutes....Committed 4 fouls and had 1 TO...by the 15:05 mark, MU trailed 51-49 after leading by 1 at half.

Seton Hall- MU led 40-30 at halftime..MU shot 1-8, Had 1 TO...Their lead was cut in half to 44-39 at the 15 minute mark.

Xavier...MU led 35-26 at Halftime...MU shot 3-7, 3 TO's and 3 fouls Somehow MU actually increased their lead to 42-28. This was a good 5 minutes based on increasing their lead.

Louisville...MU trailed 35-30 at halftime...MU was 4-8 shooting, 2 TO's, 2 fouls...Lead stayed the same for UL 44-39

Kansas St...MU led 44-33 at Halftime....MU committed an ABSURD 7 fouls, 4 TO's..shot 3-5 and increased their lead by 1 to 54-42...Regardless of score, committing 7 fouls and turning it over 4 times in 5 minutes is TERRIBLE by any stretch of the imagination.

Indiana...MU trailed 47-34 at halftime...MU shot 2-5, Committed 3 fouls and turned it over once...instead of cutting into the deficit and perhaps getting back into the game...after the first 5 minutes MU trailed 61-40.

SJU...MU trailed 39-31 at half...MU shot 4-5, Committed 3 fouls and turned it over twice...MU trailed 51-41. Again, instead of cutting into the deficit the actually lost another 2 points to trail by 10.

Kansas...MU led 47-38 at Half....MU shot 0-5, Committed 3 TO's, 3 Fouls...and actually trailed 48-47 after the first five minutes...a chance to step on their throats, and perhaps put them out of their misery..and they play the worst 5 minutes of BB in quite some time.

Creighton...MU trailed 45-39 at half....MU shot 3-5, Committed 1 foul 0 turnovers and trailed 53-49. Pretty much a wash

I just detailed how MU played in the first 5 minutes of the second half of each game against the best teams on their schedule thus far..I'd say they have played 2 OK first 5 minutes of the 2nd half...against Xavier and Creighton, the rest have been poor(at best), and I don't think that can be argued.

This is all subjective at best

We cut Creighton lead by 2 but that’s “pretty much a wash”

SJU extends their lead by 2. And it’s proof we didn’t do our jobs and came out flat.

Lol
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 06:11:20 AM »
This is all subjective at best

We cut Creighton lead by 2 but that’s “pretty much a wash”

SJU extends their lead by 2. And it’s proof we didn’t do our jobs and came out flat.

Lol

If MU isn't soundly winning every four minute stretch, guru will complain. We could win six in March by single digits and he'd be here complaining about flat play on Scoop while the rest of us were dancing from Wisconsin Avenue to Bradford Beach.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 06:20:21 AM »
We would also need a benchmark for comparison...

I have not been thrilled with the way they come out of halftime, but I have often felt like i could see what Wojo was trying to do and the players failed to execute.  Ultimately on him...but...

My eye tells me Wojo and staff have gotten us many points on sets and inbounds in conference play this year...not sure if data would say the same....but I like what I see.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 06:33:03 AM »
turn-overs!!!  especially the stupid, unforced ones.  trying to jam a pass into someone where you can hear the sucking noise of air leaving the vicinity,  in other words, there was no way the ball even fit into that space of bodies
don't...don't don't don't don't

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 06:56:19 AM »
turn-overs!!! especially the stupid, unforced ones.  trying to jam a pass into someone where you can hear the sucking noise of air leaving the vicinity,  in other words, there was no way the ball even fit into that space of bodies

Stop! You're making me hungry. I wonder if the staff serves them at practice or while the guys are watching video for the next game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 07:02:12 AM »
My eye tells me Wojo and staff have gotten us many points on sets and inbounds in conference play this year...not sure if data would say the same....but I like what I see.

Your eye is right. Paint Touches tweeted that Marquette's after timeout ppp is 1.039, in the 96th percentile. The team and staff have done a great job with those plays.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 07:14:04 AM »

He meant they ALWAYS start slow except for most of the times you posted. Obviously.
No Finish Line

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 07:20:19 AM »
Being 14-3 overall and 3-1 in conference has made being grumpy about MU really difficult I guess
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 07:25:18 AM »
Something that really bothers me about this MU team is that they have done too well, so I haven't been able to rip on 'em as much as I got used to doing the last few years.

I hate the idea of going onto Scoop and actually acting like I enjoy a victory or enjoy watching this team. Yuck. Who would want to do that?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 08:05:12 AM »
Being 14-3 overall and 3-1 in conference has made being grumpy about MU really difficult I guess
Well, if you couch fans were more passionate and didn’t accept mediocrity we’d probably be undefeated sooo...stop being so content!
No Finish Line

muguru

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 08:12:16 AM »
Something that really bothers me about this MU team is that they have done too well, so I haven't been able to rip on 'em as much as I got used to doing the last few years.

I hate the idea of going onto Scoop and actually acting like I enjoy a victory or enjoy watching this team. Yuck. Who would want to do that?

I'm pretty sure you are the type that even when they lose you are satisfied...I mean you always talk about how good your life is etc etc etc yadda yadda yadda.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 08:15:45 AM »
Well, if you couch fans were more passionate and didn’t accept mediocrity we’d probably be undefeated sooo...stop being so content!

Cripes...I cannot post a thing about this team(unless it's all rosey even during losses) without getting ripped to shreds. I am happy with where they are right now, just wish they could clean up some things...but I know, losses are okay and good too, right?? I will try to be in a great mood after they lose now like most of you are, and see what it's like to live in that world...after all, some of you claim not taking it so seriously is the key to life, right??

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 08:16:22 AM »
The defense isn't good enough.  No shutouts yet.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback