collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: You Buying This NFL Conspiracy Theory?  (Read 5460 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
You Buying This NFL Conspiracy Theory?
« on: January 12, 2019, 05:44:55 PM »
Trevor Lawrence, Clemson's QB, was the highest rated HS recruit EVER by Rivals.  They said the only comparison is Peyton Manning.  He is the first true Freshman since Jameel Holloway in 1985 to start and win the National Championship. He beat an Alabama team by 28 that was thought to be one of the greatest teams in CFB history.

He is not eligible for the NFL draft for two years but if he was eligible this year, he would be the #1 pick.

So NFL scouts are drooling over this 19-year old kid thinking he is the most important pick in decades.

So here is the conspiracy theory.

Teams like Dallas and New England would love this kid, but they are not going to get the #1 pick anytime soon.  So, they speculated that a Jerry Jones would give Vince McMahon $20 to $30 million to offer this kid to play in his rebooted XFL.  Then after two years he is a free agent and Dallas (or New England, or whoever has money), can offer him the richest contract in NFL contract in history.

They also suggested this could be a way around the three year rule and render the draft less important.  Good Freshman and Sophomores leave early to get paid for a year or two in the XFL then jump to the NFL as a free agent.

You buying or selling this tin foil hat theory?

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: You Buying This NFL Conspiracy Theory?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 05:51:00 PM »
Trevor Lawrence, Clemson's QB, was the highest rated HS recruit EVER by Rivals.  They said the only comparison is Peyton Manning.  He is the first true Freshman since Jameel Holloway in 1985 to start and win the National Championship. He beat an Alabama team by 28 that was thought to be one of the greatest teams in CFB history.

He is not eligible for the NFL draft for two years but if he was eligible this year, he would be the #1 pick.

So NFL scouts are drooling over this 19-year old kid thinking he is the most important pick in decades.

So here is the conspiracy theory.

Teams like Dallas and New England would love this kid, but they are not going to get the #1 pick anytime soon.  So, they speculated that a Jerry Jones would give Vince McMahon $20 to $30 million to offer this kid to play in his rebooted XFL.  Then after two years he is a free agent and Dallas (or New England, or whoever has money), can offer him the richest contract in NFL contract in history.

They also suggested this could be a way around the three year rule and render the draft less important.  Good Freshman and Sophomores leave early to get paid for a year or two in the XFL then jump to the NFL as a free agent.

You buying or selling this tin foil hat theory?

It is an interesting idea, but because the XFL is not part of the NFL in any way, doing what you suggested if found out would get PATs or BoYs in next level world of trouble.  So no, I don’t believe it would be a NFL conspiracy or involve any owner.

Now, could Lawrence do it on his own with help from advisors and try to become a free agent as you suggest?  Sure.  Unless XFL has similar rules of eligibility which I am not aware of.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 06:13:23 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »
What I buy is if TL has another fantastic season next year, he just leaves school, trains all year, sign an agent, get endorsements a year early, hedge a possible injury, and one less year of tape for scouts to pick apart.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 06:10:28 PM »
What I buy is if TL has another fantastic season next year, he just leaves school, trains all year, sign an agent, get endorsements a year early, hedge a possible injury, and one less year of tape for scouts to pick apart.

Why not now?  He is already considered a franchise savior after this past season.  Hard to get his stock much higher.

Why not leave now and sue to get into this year's draft?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 06:14:07 PM »
Why not now?  He is already considered a franchise savior after this past season.  Hard to get his stock much higher.

Others have sued and lost, why do you think his lawsuit is going to be successful?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »
Selling.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 07:37:36 PM »
I’m buying that Heise wants his click count up.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 07:15:05 AM »
I’m buying that Heise wants his click count up.

This. Smuggles be Smuggles.

As for a lawsuit ...

The NFL, a private enterprise, has repeatedly won in court the right to determine who is eligible for its draft. Any lawsuit would fail.  It is a collectively bargained issue.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 07:52:51 AM »

Great idea!

Best regards,
Maurice Clarett

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 09:55:06 AM »

Clemson Freshman’s Wait To Get Into NFL Draft May Cost Him Millions
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-09/clemson-freshman-s-nfl-waiting-game-may-cost-him-millions

Oliver Luck: XFL will consider taking players before eligible for the NFL Draft
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/08/oliver-luck-xfl-will-consider-taking-players-before-eligible-for-the-nfl-draft/

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence can’t play in the NFL until at least 2021.

But he’d potentially have an option to become a pro a year earlier if he wanted.

XFL commissioner Oliver Luck has openly suggested the upstart league, which will begin play in 2020, could become a safe haven for players who don’t want to spend three years in college for whatever reason.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 10:11:48 AM »
Great idea!

Best regards,
Maurice Clarett

Maurice, I guess you forgot that you actually won your case and then it was overturned on appeal. (FYI - now Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor overturned the ruling when she was on the appellate court.)

You dropped it because tOSU threw you out of school on some trumped up academic violation charges (no one takes classes at tOSU).  You also did not help your situation by getting arrested for armed robbery.

Lawrence could sue and now not suffer because of it.  Clemson will probably not run him out of school.  And if they did, Oliver Luck has a big checkbook waiting for him.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:13:28 AM by Rick Majerus' Towel »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 10:21:15 AM »
Maurice, I guess you forgot that you actually won your case and then it was overturned on appeal. (FYI - now Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor overturned the ruling when she was on the appellate court.)

You dropped it because tOSU threw you out of school on some trumped up academic violation charges (no one takes classes at tOSU).  You also did not help your situation by getting arrested for armed robbery.

Lawrence could sue and now not suffer because of it.  Clemson will probably not run him out of school.  And if they did, Oliver Luck has a big checkbook waiting for him.

Clarett was arrested for armed robbery months after he'd been drafted, cut and cleared waivers, so it didn't really affect his NFL chances. Being overweight, lazy and not particularly good at football or human interaction did, however.

The XFL would be a terrible decision for Lawrence.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 10:28:21 AM »
Maybe I am missing something, but if this type of workaround was attempted, what would stop the NFL from changing their rules to say that anyone who wants to join an NFL team for the first time has to enter the draft? 
Have some patience, FFS.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 10:34:34 AM »
Maybe I am missing something, but if this type of workaround was attempted, what would stop the NFL from changing their rules to say that anyone who wants to join an NFL team for the first time has to enter the draft?

From the Oliver Luck story above about the XFL:

“Theoretically we could take a player right out of high school. I doubt we’ll do that,” Luck said, noting the difference in physical development between an 18-year-old and the 24-to-25-year-old fringe NFLers they plan to build their base from.

So, yes the NFL can adopt a "one and done" strategy but that costs them a lot of money taking all these young projects onto their payrolls.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »

This.

Do I believe that the Pats and Cowboys would openly break rules to gain an advantage?  Absolutely, two of the most historically dirty teams in the NFL.

Would the NFL simply make a rule like you propose to solve any possible problems. Yes. Would the Kraft and Jones fight the new rule, also an absolute yes.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 10:37:39 AM »

To your highlighted question ... that means no more free agent market.  So you are either drafted or can never play in the NFL, ever?

(For instance, no signing foreign soccer players as kickers or punters without them going through the draft?)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:39:18 AM by Rick Majerus' Towel »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 10:41:08 AM »
To your highlighted question ... that means no more free agent market.  So you are either drafted or can never play in the NFL, ever?

(For instance, no signing European soccer players as kickers or punters without them going through the draft?)

Very easy fix. Must first register (and be eligible) for the draft, or supplemental draft. If undrafted, can sign with any team as a free-agent.

Any European soccer players or Australian rugby players that think they may someday want to play in the NFL can register. If they don't register, tough luck.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 10:44:09 AM »
This.

Do I believe that the Pats and Cowboys would openly break rules to gain an advantage?  Absolutely, two of the most historically dirty teams in the NFL.

Would the NFL simply make a rule like you propose to solve any possible problems. Yes. Would the Kraft and Jones fight the new rule, also an absolute yes.

This circles back to my original question.  If you are Jerry Jones and/or Robert Kraft and you see Trevor Lawrence as the second coming. What do you do to get him?

The answer is he has to become a free agent so he does not get drafted by a Buffalo or Jacksonville.

The XFL is one way to get him to bypass the draft and get him to free agency in two years (when he is 21).

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 10:45:43 AM »

Key difference is that the age limitation to be draft eligible was simply an NFL rule back then.  It has now been included in the collective bargaining agreement with the union.  Lawrence would never win that case unless the courts want to set precedent that all age limitations written into such agreements are now invalid.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
Very easy fix. Must first register (and be eligible) for the draft, or supplemental draft. If undrafted, can sign with any team as a free-agent.

Any European soccer players or Australian rugby players that think they may someday want to play in the NFL can register. If they don't register, tough luck.

The NFL cannot unilaterally make this rule.  It has to be part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

You think the players association is going to want to agree to this form of restricting players into the league?  The answer is they will if the NFL agrees to raise the minimum salary and fatten the pension benefits.  So, does the NFL feel this rule change is so important that they will pay for it?  I'll guess no.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 10:49:11 AM »
This circles back to my original question.  If you are Jerry Jones and/or Robert Kraft and you see Trevor Lawrence as the second coming. What do you do to get him?

The answer is he has to become a free agent so he does not get drafted by a Buffalo or Jacksonville.

The XFL is one way to get him to bypass the draft and get him to free agency in two years (when he is 21).

Why would he become a free agent if he goes to the XFL instead of playing in college?  How does playing for the XFL invalidate the NFL draft rules codified in the collective bargaining agreement with the union?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 10:52:38 AM »
The NFL cannot unilaterally make this rule.  It has to be part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

You think the players association is going to want to agree to this form of restricting players into the league?  The answer is they will if the NFL agrees to raise the minimum salary and fatten the pension benefits.  So, does the NFL feel this rule change is so important that they will pay for it?  I'll guess no.

Draft eligibility is now part of the collective bargaining agreement.  See page 17.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 10:56:52 AM »
Wait, was I just not paying attention to the username, or did heise already change his username since being called out?

Yeah, I’m buying that heise simply needs more attention and wants his clicks, and that is 100% what this thread is for. Heise knows, as we all do, that this will not happen, but he’ll keep asking questions just to say, “See, this is how a thread runs! What a great discussion we have going!”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 10:58:00 AM »

Why would he become a free agent if he goes to the XFL instead of playing in college?  How does playing for the XFL invalidate the NFL draft rules codified in the collective bargaining agreement with the union?

If you are drafted, that team gets your rights for one year.  If you do not sign with them, you are a free agent (most famously employed by Elway, who threatened to play baseball for a year, over the Baltimore Colts, until he was a free agent.  This was resolved by him get traded to Denver.  Eli Manning threatened the same by saying he would sit out if the San Diego Chargers drafted him. It never came to that, but he did threaten it.)

So a team can draft him in two years (when eligible) and if he does not want them, he can wait them out by getting paid in the XFL.  One year later, he is a free agent.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 11:02:44 AM »

Draft eligibility is now part of the collective bargaining agreement.  See page 17.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

Yup.
Looks like Heisy's conspiracy theory is an impossibility because even if Lawrence would go to the XFL or anywhere else, his only entry to the NFL is through the draft.

Article 6, Section 2 (d) of the CBA:
No player shall be eligible to be employed by an NFL Club until he has been eligible for selection in an NFL Draft.

feedback