[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Sacar dish to Joey  (Read 3593 times)

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
Sacar dish to Joey
« on: January 12, 2019, 03:29:53 PM »
If that was a drawn up play, it was the best play Wojo has drawn up at MU. If that was Joey acting on instinct, he is a damn smart player for a freshman (that is true regardless). Great job. Good win after SH really picked up their D in the 2d half. 

forgetful

• All American
Re: Sacar dish to Joey
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 03:32:44 PM »
If that was a drawn up play, it was the best play Wojo has drawn up at MU. If that was Joey acting on instinct, he is a damn smart player for a freshman (that is true regardless). Great job. Good win after SH really picked up their D in the 2d half.

My guess is it was instinct. Although it is possible Wojo drew up two plays, one if they came out in zone, and the other man, but my guess is he drew up a play for man only.

That cut is exactly what he was supposed to do. High intelligence play.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 03:35:29 PM »
That was just such a weird call by Willard. I get Marquette was 0 for half from behind the 3 point line, but why put in a defense you didn’t use once throughout the entire game?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 03:36:00 PM »

My guess is they run those types of cuts and it becomes engrained.  Whether it was drawn up or not, it becomes a natural read based on repetition in practice.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 03:36:17 PM »
My guess is it was instinct. Although it is possible Wojo drew up two plays, one if they came out in zone, and the other man, but my guess is he drew up a play for man only.

I don't see how Wojo could have called a play for zone since SHU had not zoned all day.   I think Sacar recognized zone, attacked , and Joey made a great cut.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 03:37:17 PM »
I don't see how Wojo could have called a play for zone since SHU had not zoned all day.   I think Sacar recognized zone, attacked , and Joey made a great cut.

We are in agreement.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 03:38:17 PM »

This.

Willard put a lot of pressure on his guys to make a split-second adjustment mentally/awareness-wise. Seems unwise and a way to set your guys up for failure.

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »
Joey is a very smart player... he makes plays when others struggle... looking forward to a day he gets called on more often.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 03:43:39 PM »
Didn't even notice the zone in real time. Was far too worked up by that point. Regardless, it was a great play and Sacar made a great pass on a great cut bu Joey. Nice to see well run offense without Markus involved.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »
Joey is a very smart player... he makes plays when others struggle... looking forward to a day he gets called on more often.

And he is a great weapon to have against a zone.  Moves well without the ball, can fill and shoot in gaps, has ample length and can finish well.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 03:47:23 PM »
Sacar gets a ton of credit there too. Attacking the paint and finding the cutter. How many times have we seen the entire team just look around for Markus in that situation?
No Finish Line

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 04:20:48 PM »

That was my take. High IQ play by both Sacar and Joey to recognize and react to the new situation.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 04:43:33 PM »

Wojo has gotten so good, he can even see into the future so he can draw up one play for man-to-man and one for zone. ::)

I seriously doubt that play was drawn up - since there was no way to know they would be in zone D.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 04:52:13 PM »
Willard went zone because Wojo was calling a timeout to get a play set up.  Going zone takes that play out of the equation and makes MU adjust in the middle of the game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 05:04:25 PM »
In the post game, Wojo gave the credit to Sacar and Joey for recognizing the cut was open. Based upon his praise and they way he described the play, it was not drawn up.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:09:08 PM by We R Final Four »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »
Wojo has gotten so good, he can even see into the future so he can draw up one play for man-to-man and one for zone. ::)

I seriously doubt that play was drawn up - since there was no way to know they would be in zone D.

I think people are misunderstanding what I was saying.  I was agreeing; it was highly unlikely that he called that play. That was my point.

I conceded there is a slight chance he drew up two plays (unlikely), but it wouldn't be the first time a coach had a contingency in case they came out in a zone. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 05:09:40 PM »
In the post game, Wojo gave the credit to Sacar and Joey for recognizing the cut was open. Based upon his praise and they way he described the play, it was not drawn up.

Intentional or not, I vote for Sacar’s new nickname to be savage.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 05:10:54 PM »

Stoopid Wojo doesn't know how bad Sacar is. If only he had a talk with Sand-Knit, he'd get clued in!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 06:07:28 PM »
Ha—I read that after the post and said what?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 08:04:50 PM »
I think people are misunderstanding what I was saying.  I was agreeing; it was highly unlikely that he called that play. That was my point.

I conceded there is a slight chance he drew up two plays (unlikely), but it wouldn't be the first time a coach had a contingency in case they came out in a zone.

I realized that in your post, Forgetful. Didn't mean it to sound like I was questioning what you said. I was trying to poke fun at a few other posters here who are always critical.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 08:06:35 PM »
Joey Hauser is the real deal. His ball IQ and skills are at a very high level. He is going to be fun to watch going forward.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 08:30:30 PM »
Sacar Animal.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:36:23 PM by BrewCity83 »
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 12:37:17 PM »

Everybody is talking about this play....but equally impressive is when he cut toward the hoop off the Markus inbound for an easy layup. He just has a sense for the right play at the time. Markus channeled his inner Ewa Mataya and put some serious English on the inbounds pass to catch Joey cutting at the perfect time.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 12:56:18 PM »
Everybody is talking about this play....but equally impressive is when he cut toward the hoop off the Markus inbound for an easy layup. He just has a sense for the right play at the time. Markus channeled his inner Ewa Mataya and put some serious English on the inbounds pass to catch Joey cutting at the perfect time.

Pretty sure that was just a drawn up play they run all the time

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 01:02:15 PM »
Pretty sure that was just a drawn up play they run all the time

+ tax

It has multiple read options, this was just one.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback