[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by MU82
[Today at 02:05:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: One(of many) things I love about this team  (Read 2441 times)

muguru

• All American
One(of many) things I love about this team
« on: January 13, 2019, 08:26:03 AM »
Since everything thinks all I do is complain(which is FAR from the truth), I will balance that out with saying one of the things that makes me happiest about this team is they FINALLY seem to have a true home court advantage. Something that was incredibly lacking at the BC. Well done gentleman!
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
Re: One(of many) things I love about this team
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 09:31:50 AM »
guru:

I know you care deeply about the Warriors. And although I don't know you, I have no reason to think you're a bad person.

I do hope you realize that you lose credibility when you mostly show up either to whine about a loss or to point out something negative after a win.

Based on your comment history, you seem to think that those of us who are generally optimistic are blind to the Warriors' flaws. All you have to do is actually read posts from guys like TAMU and mu03 or wades or me or many others 'round these parts, and you'll see that's not true. When we see something "wrong," we bring it up and discuss it.

For example, I STILL don't understand why Derrick got the amount of playing time he did. I thought that the fewer minutes Matt Heldt got, the better sign it was for this year's team. I strongly criticized Wojo for his snide reaction to a good question posed by a student reporter at a press conference. I criticized the practice of sending our center scurrying out near mid-court to defend 6-1 guards. Etc, etc, etc.

Heck, I wondered just a few days ago why Markus was chosen to throw that inbounds pass to Sam ... though when others commented on it, it made Wojo's decision seem perfectly reasonable. (And it's pretty hard to argue with the results, though Ners certainly has tried).

Maybe you don't only complain, so it's unfair of some of us to think that's the case. But when you make 20 posts and all but 1 or 2 are negative -- even when our Warriors are winning -- again, it doesn't help your credibility.

And it's impossible to get past you continuing to believe that because you are personally tortured by every little setback to the team, it somehow means you are a better fan than those who actually, you know, have lives.

None of us likes losing. Some of us realize that to get depressed over something we can't control is not healthy.

Try to actually enjoy this season. It's been pretty damn special so far, with 3 OT wins, one impossible victory, a record-setting star, one of the BEast's best freshmen, a developing defensive force, a ranked team, etc.

These guys represent the university well, they bring it on the court, and they are well-coached. I know nothing I said in that last sentence matters if they don't win, because after all that's the whole idea of sports ... but they DO win!

This team is a lot of fun, even when they're torturing us a little. Enjoy the freakin' journey. Don't be so consumed with what the destination might or might not be.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:35:35 AM »
Very well said, 82.

Also, to say that Marquette never had a home court advantage at the BC is crap.  At one point in the Buzz years, we had the longest home-game winning streak in D1 basketball.
Have some patience, FFS.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 10:02:37 AM »
guru:

I know you care deeply about the Warriors. And although I don't know you, I have no reason to think you're a bad person.

I do hope you realize that you lose credibility when you mostly show up either to whine about a loss or to point out something negative after a win.

Based on your comment history, you seem to think that those of us who are generally optimistic are blind to the Warriors' flaws. All you have to do is actually read posts from guys like TAMU and mu03 or wades or me or many others 'round these parts, and you'll see that's not true. When we see something "wrong," we bring it up and discuss it.

For example, I STILL don't understand why Derrick got the amount of playing time he did. I thought that the fewer minutes Matt Heldt got, the better sign it was for this year's team. I strongly criticized Wojo for his snide reaction to a good question posed by a student reporter at a press conference. I criticized the practice of sending our center scurrying out near mid-court to defend 6-1 guards. Etc, etc, etc.

Heck, I wondered just a few days ago why Markus was chosen to throw that inbounds pass to Sam ... though when others commented on it, it made Wojo's decision seem perfectly reasonable. (And it's pretty hard to argue with the results, though Ners certainly has tried).

Maybe you don't only complain, so it's unfair of some of us to think that's the case. But when you make 20 posts and all but 1 or 2 are negative -- even when our Warriors are winning -- again, it doesn't help your credibility.

And it's impossible to get past you continuing to believe that because you are personally tortured by every little setback to the team, it somehow means you are a better fan than those who actually, you know, have lives.

None of us likes losing. Some of us realize that to get depressed over something we can't control is not healthy.

Try to actually enjoy this season. It's been pretty damn special so far, with 3 OT wins, one impossible victory, a record-setting star, one of the BEast's best freshmen, a developing defensive force, a ranked team, etc.

These guys represent the university well, they bring it on the court, and they are well-coached. I know nothing I said in that last sentence matters if they don't win, because after all that's the whole idea of sports ... but they DO win!

This team is a lot of fun, even when they're torturing us a little. Enjoy the freakin' journey. Don't be so consumed with what the destination might or might not be.

This is very well stated...and I agree with you 100%...I absolutely LOVE what this team is doing and what i think they are capable of...I just wish they would/could clean up a few things(like the repeated careless TO's), and those are the things that keep me up at night...because I just feel like if they cleaned up a few rough edges, the potential for this team is as high as it gets.

As far as things in my life go...I live the life that satisfies me...Are there things that are missing?? Of course. But, you know what?? It's quiet, peaceful, unassuming and most of all not an ounce of drama. I have the utmost respect for people that have other things in their lives, and fully understand why those things are important. That being said, I don't have any of those things...some by choice(some not), and pour all my passion into MU hoops(as silly as that sounds), I have the ability to do that(where most don't), and it's what makes me happy(and frustrated) sometimes. So I vent on the board after a loss, and it helps me calm down and see things for what they are. But I love this team, even if it has taken them longer to get to this point then I would have liked to see..I'm fully invested, for better or for worse, win or lose.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 10:06:32 AM »
This is very well stated...and I agree with you 100%...I absolutely LOVE what this team is doing and what i think they are capable of...I just wish they would/could clean up a few things(like the repeated careless TO's), and those are the things that keep me up at night...because I just feel like if they cleaned up a few rough edges, the potential for this team is as high as it gets.

As far as things in my life go...I live the life that satisfies me...Are there things that are missing?? Of course. But, you know what?? It's quiet, peaceful, unassuming and most of all not an ounce of drama. I have the utmost respect for people that have other things in their lives, and fully understand why those things are important. That being said, I don't have any of those things...some by choice(some not), and pour all my passion into MU hoops(as silly as that sounds), I have the ability to do that(where most don't), and it's what makes me happy(and frustrated) sometimes. So I vent on the board after a loss, and it helps me calm down and see things for what they are. But I love this team, even if it has taken them longer to get to this point then I would have liked to see..I'm fully invested, for better or for worse, win or lose.
Your unedited view points are always welcomed ,encouraged and thoroughly enjoyed by this poster. Please continue with your past practices, I think they are of great insight and value.  You are a true blue MU fan.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 10:14:17 AM »
Very well said, 82.

Also, to say that Marquette never had a home court advantage at the BC is crap.  At one point in the Buzz years, we had the longest home-game winning streak in D1 basketball.

You're right, but i was speaking in terms of Wojo's teams, which wasn't clear i know. I wish they would have had the HC advantage there that Buzz's teams did.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 10:33:01 AM »

I appreciate this post, both the content and the tone.

I guess the main difference between us as Marquette fans, guru, is that after the Warriors lose I tend to stay away from Scoop for a little while because I already feel bad and I don't want to feel worse. Plus, I have other things I need to tend to.

But when we win, I feel exhilarated and I want to share that with like-minded fans. After the Creighton game, I literally couldn't pull myself away from Scoop. It was such an impossible victory that all I wanted to do was re-live it over and over again. It gave me great joy to do that. Life can never have too much joy!

My only hope is that these kinds of discussions help you realize that just because we all don't react the same way after a loss, it doesn't somehow mean the "complainers" (for lack of better term) are somehow "better" fans than those of us who are more likely to try to find the silver lining.

I wish you well, guru. Keep enjoying these very entertaining, successful Warriors.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 11:20:02 AM »
I appreciate this post, both the content and the tone.

I guess the main difference between us as Marquette fans, guru, is that after the Warriors lose I tend to stay away from Scoop for a little while because I already feel bad and I don't want to feel worse. Plus, I have other things I need to tend to.

But when we win, I feel exhilarated and I want to share that with like-minded fans. After the Creighton game, I literally couldn't pull myself away from Scoop. It was such an impossible victory that all I wanted to do was re-live it over and over again. It gave me great joy to do that. Life can never have too much joy!

My only hope is that these kinds of discussions help you realize that just because we all don't react the same way after a loss, it doesn't somehow mean the "complainers" (for lack of better term) are somehow "better" fans than those of us who are more likely to try to find the silver lining.

I wish you well, guru. Keep enjoying these very entertaining, successful Warriors.

Thank You...the bolded part is what i want to comment on...that is your way of dealing with losses, and celebrating wins..as others have their ways of doing so. I have my ways of doing so...when they win, I normally just choose to "bask in the glory" by myself and suck it all in, when they lose...I need an "outlet". What bothers me, is people like VanderBlueman group are quick to blast me when I show up after losses, but not wins...that's just how I am, just as you(and others) have their ways of doing things...What's wrong with any of those ways??

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 12:06:55 PM »
Thank You...the bolded part is what i want to comment on...that is your way of dealing with losses, and celebrating wins..as others have their ways of doing so. I have my ways of doing so...when they win, I normally just choose to "bask in the glory" by myself and suck it all in, when they lose...I need an "outlet". What bothers me, is people like VanderBlueman group are quick to blast me when I show up after losses, but not wins...that's just how I am, just as you(and others) have their ways of doing things...What's wrong with any of those ways??

If typing out your negative thoughts helps you, that's great.  But have you ever considered deleting any of them before you hit "post"?

Does your "way of doing things" including having to share every derogatory thought you have about your favorite team? I have my share of criticisms about plays, players, etc., but I don't feel the need to publicly post every single one.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 12:15:33 PM »
I am coaching my 35th team.  Kids.  So my default is to be objective and try to learn something, win or lose.  Somebody loses every single game of basketball.  And so few go undefeated.  Other than the season ending loss, every game is just a step, a data point to me.  Losses hurt and wins are fun, but both are just steps in the journey.   No mid season conference loss (unless a star is injured) is life and death.   Because I know life and death too.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 12:30:58 PM »
Guru u need to be more like mu82, u will be better then, just ask him.

What a pompous douche
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 12:50:19 PM »
Since everything thinks all I do is complain(which is FAR from the truth), I will balance that out with saying one of the things that makes me happiest about this team is they FINALLY seem to have a true home court advantage. Something that was incredibly lacking at the BC. Well done gentleman!

So far, yes.  There were years we had a great home court at the BC, too.  I think under TC and BW we had some very special years at the BC where we rarely lost, place was packed to the gills and jumping. 

We have a bit of a perfect storm going with a good team and brand new building.  Add in a bit of a national phenom with Howard, and people are coming out. The shine will come off the building in a few years, and we will have to keep winning to have people excited.  Markus departure alone is going to mean some of the casual fans may not come, but if we continue to perform, hustle and play to Milwaukee’s sensibilities then we should be ok.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 12:56:09 PM »
So far, yes.  There were years we had a great home court at the BC, too.  I think under TC and BW we had some very special years at the BC where we rarely lost, place was packed to the gills and jumping. 

We have a bit of a perfect storm going with a good team and brand new building.  Add in a bit of a national phenom with Howard, and people are coming out. The shine will come off the building in a few years, and we will have to keep winning to have people excited.  Markus departure alone is going to mean some of the casual fans may not come, but if we continue to perform, hustle and play to Milwaukee’s sensibilities then we should be ok.

Bradley center was great when full or near full, like a funeral home with 13-15k
Fiserv much better home crowd atmosphere with 14-15k in it.  Its that simple
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 06:16:56 PM »
Guru u need to be more like mu82, u will be better then, just ask him.

What a pompous douche

guru and I were having a mature conversation, something you know nothing about. Kinda like basketball. And spelling.

But you do know how to say intelligent things like "douche" and "blow me."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 06:18:36 PM »
guru and I were having a mature conversation, something you know nothing about. Kinda like basketball. And spelling.

But you do know how to say intelligent things like "douche" and "blow me."
He is on hiatus.  Save your ammo.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 06:26:43 PM »
He is on hiatus.  Save your ammo.

I agree with this analysis.