[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fouling up 3 - thank you Wojo  (Read 5343 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Fouling up 3 - thank you Wojo
« on: January 12, 2019, 03:14:25 PM »
Smart man.  Go to my grave on this.  Yes, UCLA beat Oregon the other day, but miracles have to happen.

Way to go MU and Wojo!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:23:26 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Fouling up 3 - thank you Wojo
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 03:22:10 PM »
Yep, that was smart.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 03:22:45 PM »
Happened in a high school game I watched earlier this year as well. A kid drained about a 30 footer when time expired. Had a pretty decent look at the basket though.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 03:23:15 PM »
Cooley didn't twice.  Burned him twice.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PistolBrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 03:46:16 PM »
It wasn’t just fouling up 3.  It was waiting until the ball came inside the line to foul and ensure they would not get three shots.  I’m not sure if Wojo called that or if Markus just did it.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 03:48:16 PM »
It kinda felt like markus took it in his own hands but im a huge proponent of fouling up 3.   Glad it worked

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 03:56:42 PM »
Hear Majerus give his two cents on the matter once...said it's the only way you lose the game (make first ft and tip out rebound for a 3)...so he did not have his teams do so.  Obviously a problem if you foul while shooting...

I liked it tonight...need to have smart and well coached players. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 04:02:13 PM »
Played perfectly

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 04:06:22 PM »
It wasn’t just fouling up 3.  It was waiting until the ball came inside the line to foul and ensure they would not get three shots.  I’m not sure if Wojo called that or if Markus just did it.

Wojo called it from the bench
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 04:06:28 PM »
It kinda felt like markus took it in his own hands but im a huge proponent of fouling up 3.   Glad it worked

Theo was a beast on the boards, but I was thinking I’d rather have Joey in inside rebounding position with Sam at the end. Fortunately the reb came to Sam and he made the FTs. I’d feel pretty confident with Joey in there in terms of getting a board, and obviously would prefer to see him go to the line despite his late miss.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 04:10:59 PM »

No.  You think that this is something that Markus just did on his own, with no direction or input from the coach?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 04:20:08 PM »
Big fan of the foul in that situation.

I certainly see where Majerus is coming from, but how many times do we have to see guys hit huge 3s in a season to think that letting a clutch player take a potential tying 3 is the right thing?

Foul, foul, foul.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 04:23:48 PM »
Smart man.  Go to my grave on this.  Yes, UCLA beat Oregon the other day, but miracles have to happen.

Way to go MU and Wojo!

UCLA a different team with Alford gone.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 04:29:58 PM »
It depends.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »
It depends.
I actually agree with this.    Are you facing a poor 3 pt shooting team?    Are you a good rebounding team?   Can you foul a poor free throw shooter?    How much time?    1-1 or two shots?       If Georgetown doesn't make two prayers, Cooley is smart.    They made them.    If SHU gets that rebound and throws up a prayer (when have we seen that) and maybe even gets fouled, Wojo is an idiot. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 04:34:12 PM »
Time is really the only factor I think is relevant.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 04:35:12 PM »
I actually agree with this.    Are you facing a poor 3 pt shooting team?    Are you a good rebounding team?   Can you foul a poor free throw shooter?    How much time?    1-1 or two shots?       If Georgetown doesn't make two prayers, Cooley is smart.    They made them.    If SHU gets that rebound and throws up a prayer (when have we seen that) and maybe even gets fouled, Wojo is an idiot.

Every team has a few three point shooters.  If time is less than 5 seconds and they are in the 1-and-1 like we were.... no brainer.  Foul.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 04:42:40 PM »
Every team has a few three point shooters.  If time is less than 5 seconds and they are in the 1-and-1 like we were.... no brainer.  Foul.

What if you’ve got a bunch of numbskulls you don’t trust to not foul on a shot? What if the refs are jags who might call a shooting foul? What if your best rebounders have fouled out and the other team is craft at FTM ORs?

All depends
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 04:45:41 PM »
What if you’ve got a bunch of numbskulls you don’t trust to not foul on a shot? What if the refs are jags who might call a shooting foul? What if your best rebounders have fouled out and the other team is craft at FTM ORs?

All depends

Fair enough.  If your best rebounders are out of game I don't foul.  Or,  along those lines,  if my entire team sucks at defensive rebounding.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »
Wojo called it from the bench

+1

Looked like Wojo called Sam and Markus over during the FTs to lay out the plan.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 05:41:24 PM »
UCLA a different team with Alford gone.

Yes, though they are in conference play now and the PAC 12 is so bad it might be worse than their non conference games.  🤪
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 05:44:35 PM »

But in all those situations PraYERS have to happen.  Not a “normal” 3.  I take my chances with prayers every time.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 06:16:59 PM »

Nope

“I didn't want Powell to tie the game,'' Wojciechowski said of the decision to foul. ''I think you have to go by feel on that. I don't think there should be necessarily a hard and fast rule. But when Myles Powell's on the other team, let's try to rely on our free-throw block outs. And, we did and Sam came up with a huge rebound.''

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 07:10:22 PM »
So, Wojo agrees that it depends.  And lays out reasons.   Smart guy.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 07:23:40 PM »
I thought he mentioned at one time he won't commit to one way since other teams would know it then and expect the foul (and be ready to shoot as its happening).