Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Marquette opens -6 vs. SHU  (Read 18196 times)

BM1090

• All American
Marquette opens -6 vs. SHU
« on: January 11, 2019, 04:13:05 PM »
In line with Kenpom and about what I would have expected. Would have guessed 5.5.

https://www.oddsshark.com/ncaab/seton-hall-marquette-odds-january-12-2019-1053578?utm_source=pickpapa

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Marquette opens -6 vs. SHU
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 04:14:20 PM »
Yup my guess was 5.5 so makes sense
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 04:20:28 PM »
I would think that moves even lower. I love us to cover that spread. Obviously wearing the goggles but I think our home court advantage gives us much more than average and more than Vegas gives us credit for

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 04:25:03 PM »
Personally think we match-up with Seton Hall very well. Only 1 true three point threat. Their bigs are of the slower banger variety which means Joey, Theo, and Ed don't need to spend as much time on the perimeter. We have no one who can stop Powell but I think Anim with lots of help defense can at least keep him from exploding. Think Cale is the xfactor, keep him in check along with Powell and I think this could end up a laugher
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 04:27:47 PM »
Personally think we match-up with Seton Hall very well. Only 1 true three point threat. Their bigs are of the slower banger variety which means Joey, Theo, and Ed don't need to spend as much time on the perimeter. We have no one who can stop Powell but I think Anim with lots of help defense can at least keep him from exploding. Think Cale is the xfactor, keep him in check along with Powell and I think this could end up a laugher

Completely agree. We could lose the game if we're missing shots or if Powell goes nuts. But overall I like the matchup, especially defensively. SJU, CU and Nova are the worst matchups for our defense because they can spread us out and beat us off the dribble. I don't see that being a huge issue against the rest of the conference.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 04:31:06 PM »
Anyone else concerned about a Creighton hangover? Hopefully we come out focused. Home crowd with at least some students back should help, though the crowds have been good over break.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 04:36:01 PM »
Anyone else concerned about a Creighton hangover? Hopefully we come out focused. Home crowd with at least some students back should help, though the crowds have been good over break.

Absolutely. Hoping there aren't shades of Providence 2017.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 05:41:35 PM »
I'm not sure how chuffed up our guys could be about a team dropping over 100 on us, even if we did end up winning.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 05:57:41 PM »
This team is focused! We need Sam and Joey to go off and Markus hit his averages.   But no BEast game will be easy. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:02:14 PM by Daniel »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 06:00:51 PM »
This team is focused! We need Sam and Joey to go off and Markucrap his averages.   But no BEast game will be easy.
Markucrap? LOL. What did that autocorrect from?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 06:03:00 PM »
Markucrap? LOL. What did that autocorrect from?
Omg!  Was Markus hit..... !

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 06:07:44 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 06:15:14 PM »
The only time I ever get worried about a game is when we start hearing how good of a matchup a team is for Marquette.  South Carolina was supposed to be a good matchup for MU in the NCAA Tournament because they couldn't score and there was no way they could hold our potent offense under 70 so we were going to win.  St. John's has only 1 guy over 6'5" and hasn't beaten anybody so we'll just eat them up down low.  Indiana was young and inexperienced and playing their first big game so we were going to come in and be the experienced group that smokes them to welcome them to the big leagues like Iowa did to us Hank's year.

You don't play your opponent you play yourself.  What I like about this team is we don't have 1 Hauser, we have 2.  Players like the Hausers show up every night, even if they're not scoring the ball a ton.  I'm worried less about how we match up with Seton Hall and more about how we play.  If Marquette takes care of the ball and continues to rebound the ball well we'll win.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 06:25:26 PM »
Had to check the schedule twice. The "Next up" on Scoop lists MU @ Seton Hall...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 06:26:03 PM »
If we win all the way through providence at home what can we possibly expect for a ranking?   12?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 06:28:39 PM »
Looking forward to another very entertaining game. Will be a tough test but we should end up on top in the end.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 06:31:17 PM »
If we win all the way through providence at home what can we possibly expect for a ranking?   12?

Well 16 was obviously our highest of the ceiling so no point in worrying about that question.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 06:39:13 PM »
Line moved a touch to -6.5. Depends on which bookmaker you are looking at.
Should be another good crowd at Fiserv Forum. 16K plus.

*I didn't feel the need to start a new topic. Yet, I hope those see it who is going to the game on Marquette game on Saturday. Parking will be tough on Saturday! Wave game at UWM Panther Arena. Also, Volleyball at the Wisconsin Center. Seems like there is a million 12-18  years olds every year, all from the midwest in town for that weekend event.*
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 06:45:01 PM »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:46:00 AM by shoothoops »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 08:08:31 PM »
I'm not sure how chuffed up our guys could be about a team dropping over 100 on us, even if we did end up winning.

Also, let's face it .. Creighton lost that game more than MU won it.   MU won on two miracles, maybe three if you count 53 from Marcus. 

I mean, yay and everything, but MU was preposterously thisclose to having a very quiet flight home, being yelled at for letting an opponent score 85 and shoot 51%. 

Buzz (?) used to say celebrate until midnight, then back to work.  Wojo had plenty of material to slice that down an hour.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 08:14:01 PM »
Also, let's face it .. Creighton lost that game more than MU won it.   MU won on two miracles, maybe three if you count 53 from Marcus. 

I mean, yay and everything, but MU was preposterously thisclose to having a very quiet flight home, being yelled at for letting an opponent score 85 and shoot 51%. 

Buzz (?) used to say celebrate until midnight, then back to work.  Wojo had plenty of material to slice that down an hour.

Made the plays we had to.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 09:13:57 PM »

Honestly, Chartouny missing the first layup was a miracle too. If he makes that attempt, they inbound normally, we foul, and we likely lose at the line or need a 60-footer to tie. Because he missed, it left that 0.8 which made Cashaw think the long pass was a safe option.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 10:04:33 PM »
6 points seems like a lot to me. Seton Hall has been darn tough this season, including a couple of impressive ones on the road.

I'll take a 1-point win or a 31-point win or any win in between.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 10:41:47 PM »
Absolutely. Hoping there aren't shades of Providence 2017.

Ordinarily I'd agree but this team has a different mental make up this season IMO.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 10:17:49 AM »
Markus Made the plays we had to.

Fixed.  Markus single-handedly carried us to victory in that game.  Pure individual talent on display.  He was in the zone, and when's he's in that zone, there have been few other players that can match his efficiency/production.

Still believe the Wisconsin win was our most impressive win of the year, because Markus was really pretty bad in that game, and we found a way to win.  Can't count/rely on 40 points halves like what happened against Buffalo, and 53 point games to win in OT at CU.