[Today at 08:38:00 AM]

NCAA Ticket Strategy by Bahama
[Today at 08:36:23 AM]

NIL legal update by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 08:19:41 AM]

WKU by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 07:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Marquette opens -6 vs. SHU  (Read 18235 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Marquette opens -6 vs. SHU
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2019, 09:37:26 PM »
33 in Pomeroy. We eeked out a win against 50 Seton Hall at home...with markus having an “off” 26 point game.

Might want to put away the annointong oil.

Anything that helps you sleep at night Ners. You dunked. We played the flute. We are not worthy. What you missed is we don’t have the annointing oil out for Wojo, we have it out for you!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2019, 10:12:58 PM »
Give me your play. Tell me what you would have drawn up to get someone a look better than the one we got. Specifically using some type of screen action because that's the only way they would overplay Markus. Thanks.

Chartouney inbounds.
Joey weak side corner.
Markus weak side wing
Sam at strong side elbow.
Theo low block.
Markus runs from weak side to strong side corner with Theo and Sam settting double screen.
Theo rescreen on Sams man
Sam flares to 3 point line elbow extended.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2019, 10:19:33 PM »
Chartouney inbounds.
Joey weak side corner.
Markus weak side wing
Theo low block.
Markus runs from weak side to strong side corner with Theo and Sam settting double screen.

Put the guy with an astronomically high turnover rate in there to make the pass. Good idea.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2019, 10:24:50 PM »
Put the guy with an astronomically high turnover rate in there to make the pass. Good idea.

Wouldn’t expect a volleyball player to understand how easy that pass is to execute from a stationary position. Chartouney has turnover issues when sped up, and that inbounds pass is simple for a D-1 player.

But feel free to continue to think it was brilliant having Markus inbound the ball. Appreciate the comic relief you provide here.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2019, 10:27:11 PM »
JC has turnover and passing the ball issues whether in motion or stationary.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2019, 10:53:01 PM »
Wouldn’t expect a volleyball player to understand how easy that pass is to execute from a stationary position. Chartouney has turnover issues when sped up, and that inbounds pass is simple for a D-1 player.

But feel free to continue to think it was brilliant having Markus inbound the ball. Appreciate the comic relief you provide here.

Yup. I’ve never touched a basketball. Still trying to figure out what the game really is. Are you supposed to get the ball through that orange ring? Does it count for more if it hits the orange ring first?

I don’t think I can remember any turnovers from Chartouney coming from anything other than a pass. He has to be, by far, the worst passing guard on the team, and maybe the worst passing guard we’ve had at Marquette in a really, really long time.

But yes there is a lot of comedy in threads you post in. I think about 90% of posters here find the comedy comes from you.

But hey, nobody’s dunked on the Nimrods like you! So let’s give the ball to the worst passer on the team and have him make the inbound pass. Genius!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2019, 10:57:07 PM »
Chartouney inbounds.
Joey weak side corner.
Markus weak side wing
Theo low block.

Thanks for answering and actually don't mind this. Joseph would be the only other guy that I'd be ok with inbounding. I still think Markus inbounding was fine.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2019, 02:00:53 AM »
Give me your play. Tell me what you would have drawn up to get someone a look better than the one we got. Specifically using some type of screen action because that's the only way they would overplay Markus. Thanks.

Use the turbo shoes to dunk from half court. I don't get how people think basketball is complicated.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2019, 06:39:07 AM »
Having Markus inbound confused Creighton. Cashaw and Krampelj got mixed up on assignments. At the same time, Joey went to the corner, which drew Ballock into a John screen, drew Krampelj away from the play, and got Alexander looking at Joey, which gave Sam time to drift back to the arc to catch the pass unimpeded.

The play worked because Creighton didn't know who to cover and Joey drew attention going to the corner. That, and Theo John's excellent pick on the decoy run that convinced all the Blue Jays the ball was going to Joey. It was a case of trusting your biggest players to make your biggest plays. That means Markus passing to Sam.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2019, 07:32:40 AM »
Chartouney inbounds.
Joey weak side corner.
Markus weak side wing
Theo low block.

If only Wojo's play could have produced the result that this one would have, maybe we would have gotten a game-tying shot from Sam and won in OT.

Stoopid Wojo. Can't believe he doesn't have you on speed-dial!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2019, 11:11:48 AM »
Yup. I’ve never touched a basketball. Still trying to figure out what the game really is. Are you supposed to get the ball through that orange ring? Does it count for more if it hits the orange ring first?

I don’t think I can remember any turnovers from Chartouney coming from anything other than a pass. He has to be, by far, the worst passing guard on the team, and maybe the worst passing guard we’ve had at Marquette in a really, really long time.

But yes there is a lot of comedy in threads you post in. I think about 90% of posters here find the comedy comes from you.

But hey, nobody’s dunked on the Nimrods like you! So let’s give the ball to the worst passer on the team and have him make the inbound pass. Genius!

Markus had 9 turnovers against Creighton. The difference between he and Chartouney as it relates to ball security is negligible. The difference betweeen Chartouney and Markus as offensive threats involved in the action of a play?  Well. That’s about as stark of contrast as you can get.

But carry-on with your latest hot take that Markus should have been the inbounder in that situation. That hot take has certainly illustrated the true basketball idiocy of my “favorite” loud mouth resident experts here.

PS:  People in glass homes shouldn’t throw stones Wades. Plenty on this board find you to be the insufferable, obnoxious, and argumentative.

The only difference between you and me?  You were a volleyball player. Won’t find me on a volleyball board popping off like the resident expert because I played it in intramurals.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2019, 11:23:44 AM »
So let me get this straight ...

Ners played high school basketball -- even dunked! -- which makes him more knowledgeable about basketball strategy than any of us non-dunkers possibly could be.

Wojo was a high school basketball star, was national defensive player of the year at Duke, won national championships as top assistant at Duke, and is a 5th-year head coach having success at Marquette. But he absolutely is not more knowledgeable about basketball strategy than Ners.

Got it!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2019, 11:43:12 AM »
Markus took the ball out as he always takes the ball out on the offensive end under the basket and Wojo did not have time to draw up a play.
That being said, I can see the point about having a play call for that situation that has been practiced that involves Chartouny taking the ball out and forcing the defense to account for Markus.

THAT being said, starting a battle over a play that worked because you think you have a better idea is...... so many things.

Any play that involves hitting a 3 with .8 seconds left is basically a hail Mary.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:31:21 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2019, 11:50:20 AM »
So let me get this straight ...

Ners played high school basketball -- even dunked! -- which makes him more knowledgeable about basketball strategy than any of us non-dunkers possibly could be.

Wojo was a high school basketball star, was national defensive player of the year at Duke, won national championships as top assistant at Duke, and is a 5th-year head coach having success at Marquette. But he absolutely is not more knowledgeable about basketball strategy than Ners.

Got it!

Add to that you can’t possibly play both basketball and volleyball. Just ask guys like Luke Fischer and Jamil Wilson. Volleyball players. They don’t have the first clue about basketball.

Ners certainly does provide comedic value here.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2019, 01:14:24 PM »
Markus was never going to be the one to shoot the ball in that situation. Too short and too much attention. So the question is would he be more valuable as the inbounder or the decoy? I think there's validity to both points of view.

Trying to use a successful play that got us into overtime when Wojo had about 1 second to talk it over with his team as proof that Wojo doesn't know what he's doing is silly at best. But that doesn't mean thinking Joe should have inbounded and Markus play the role of decoy is a bad thought.

I think Wojo calling the timeout when others would have let the clock expire, rushing his guys back instead of trying to draw up a more extensive play says a lot more about his coaching ability than choosing to use Markus as an inbounder instead of as a decoy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2019, 01:29:10 PM »
PS:  People in glass homes shouldn’t throw stones Wades. Plenty on this board find you to be the insufferable, obnoxious, and argumentative.

The only difference between you and me?  You were a volleyball player. Won’t find me on a volleyball board popping off like the resident expert because I played it in intramurals.

There are no stones or glass homes here Ners.  And, thank God for this, there are many more than a single difference between you and I.  The two biggest being I don't find the need to flaunt my athletic "accomplishments" (not that dunking on Watersmeet High School is all that Earth shattering, but 25 years later here you are still talking about it so more power to you bud) and I don't have 5 different usernames on two different sports forums as a result of being banned from them, because if I had to do that I'd have reevaluated what the eff I was doing with my life at that point (or well before that point).

But that's right, it's just that you and only 1 or 2 other posters ever walked onto a basketball court, so you're just misunderstood because you're one of 3 total people to come to Scoop who are competent enough to be posting here.

Almost without fail the people who need to shout on the top of the mountaintop that they are so smart/accomplished are just doing so to cover the insecurity of knowing they're nowhere near as accomplished as they claim.  If you were as much smarter than everyone else on the board as you claim to be you'd be getting paid for your knowledge on the game of basketball rather than being allowed to volunteer your time babysitting a bunch of grade school basketball campers like you so hilariously bragged about doing.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2019, 02:33:52 PM »
There are no stones or glass homes here Ners.  And, thank God for this, there are many more than a single difference between you and I.  The two biggest being I don't find the need to flaunt my athletic "accomplishments" (not that dunking on Watersmeet High School is all that Earth shattering, but 25 years later here you are still talking about it so more power to you bud) and I don't have 5 different usernames on two different sports forums as a result of being banned from them, because if I had to do that I'd have reevaluated what the eff I was doing with my life at that point (or well before that point).

But that's right, it's just that you and only 1 or 2 other posters ever walked onto a basketball court, so you're just misunderstood because you're one of 3 total people to come to Scoop who are competent enough to be posting here.

Almost without fail the people who need to shout on the top of the mountaintop that they are so smart/accomplished are just doing so to cover the insecurity of knowing they're nowhere near as accomplished as they claim.  If you were as much smarter than everyone else on the board as you claim to be you'd be getting paid for your knowledge on the game of basketball rather than being allowed to volunteer your time babysitting a bunch of grade school basketball campers like you so hilariously bragged about doing.

The only person here referencing my athletic accomplishments is you, obsessively.  I brought them up in the first place when people here asked for context.  I just know to stay in my lane and not visit a volleyball board and start posting like the biggest know-it-all because I played the game in P/E and Intramurals, and watch a lot of it on TV.

Carry on with your opinion that you feel it was great coaching to have Markus Howard inbounding the ball, down 3, with 0.8 seconds left in a game he'd already scored 41 points in! 

As for being banned from Scoop and Dodds board because I didn't toe the company line, and acquiesce and change my opinions to conform (to being supportive of the coaching decisions of Buzz and Wojo to maximize Derrick Wilson's playing time)?  I'm totally at peace.  Why would I re-evaluate and desire to become a sheep and a "yes man?"  Talk about a sad reality and way to go through life?  Yet, I'm sure it is one you've mastered, no doubt as a beta. 

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2019, 02:47:17 PM »
Ummmm..... Y’all know he did complete the pass and the shot went in, right?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2019, 02:51:46 PM »
The only person here referencing my athletic accomplishments is you, obsessively.  I brought them up in the first place when people here asked for context.  I just know to stay in my lane and not visit a volleyball board and start posting like the biggest know-it-all because I played the game in P/E and Intramurals, and watch a lot of it on TV.

Carry on with your opinion that you feel it was great coaching to have Markus Howard inbounding the ball, down 3, with 0.8 seconds left in a game he'd already scored 41 points in! 

As for being banned from Scoop and Dodds board because I didn't toe the company line, and acquiesce and change my opinions to conform (to being supportive of the coaching decisions of Buzz and Wojo to maximize Derrick Wilson's playing time)?  I'm totally at peace.  Why would I re-evaluate and desire to become a sheep and a "yes man?"  Talk about a sad reality and way to go through life?  Yet, I'm sure it is one you've mastered, no doubt as a beta.

Haha! Yes, it takes an alpha male to continue to come back to multiple basketball forums you’ve been banned from multiple times. If it wasn’t so embarrassing that it’s literally sad I’d say it was hilarious.

What’s also hilarious is you claim it gets harder and harder to stay true to my stance on Wojo as the number of people supporting him has dropped to about 3 on this board. So which is it bud? Am I a beta yes man or am I one of 3 Wojo supporters? Have it both ways. I’d expect nothing less.

I lied. This is effing hysterical. Now we’re not just flaunting our athletic accomplishments but we’re flaunting what a manly man we are for always coming back to basketball forums!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:54:27 PM by wadesworld »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2019, 03:46:17 PM »

+1

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2019, 03:58:19 PM »

Sadly a very few posters here would rather Wojo be wrong and MU lose and will do anything they can to diminish any success Wojo has. Either our opponent isn’t as good as their ranking, Markus saved Wojo’s ass, or Wojo made a stupid decision that happened to work by pure luck.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2019, 06:20:54 PM »

Yes, TAMU and I tried to emphasize this, too.

What kind of "expert" spends hours wasting his time complaining about a play that worked to get us a huge victory?

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2019, 06:29:06 PM »
Yes, TAMU and I tried to emphasize this, too.

What kind of "expert" spends hours wasting his time complaining about a play that worked to get us a huge victory?

Must take you a lot longer to articulate your thoughts 82. I’ve spent about 30 minutes posting on the topic.

I’m glad we won on the Hail Mary. It doesn’t mean we weren’t poorly coached on that play. I understand that in your world and Wades, Wojo has never made any mistakes in his time as head coach at MU.

I give Wojo credit for calling the timeout at 0.8. I wouldn’t have called it. That decision got us the most unlikely of wins - NOT the play design of Sam’s Hail Mary.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2019, 06:34:58 PM »
Must take you a lot longer to articulate your thoughts 82. I’ve spent about 30 minutes posting on the topic.

I’m glad we won on the Hail Mary. It doesn’t mean we weren’t poorly coached on that play. I understand that in your world and Wades, Wojo has never made any mistakes in his time as head coach at MU.

I give Wojo credit for calling the timeout at 0.8. I wouldn’t have called it. That decision got us the most unlikely of wins - NOT the play design of Sam’s Hail Mary.

Lol. Down 3 inbounding the ball with 0.8 seconds left. That takes a Hail Mary no matter who’s catching the inbound pass Markus, Sam, Joey. Steph Curry, Del Curry, Ray Allen, Kyle Korver, Steve Novak. No matter who it is that’s all you get. Hence why Markus was simply not an option to shoot that ball. He’d have 2 guys on him with at least 6 inches of height on him. The ball never gets within 3 feet of the rim if Markus is the one getting the ball there.

The only exception, of course, being Ners. That’s just a simple warmup shot for Ners.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2019, 06:42:56 PM »
Lol. Down 3 inbounding the ball with 0.8 seconds left. That takes a Hail Mary no matter who’s catching the inbound pass Markus, Sam, Joey. Steph Curry, Del Curry, Ray Allen, Kyle Korver, Steve Novak. No matter who it is that’s all you get. Hence why Markus was simply not an option to shoot that ball. He’d have 2 guys on him with at least 6 inches of height on him. The ball never gets within 3 feet of the rim if Markus is the one getting the ball there.

The only exception, of course, being Ners. That’s just a simple warmup shot for Ners.

What part of Markus being in the play and a distraction do you not understand?  Are you that dense?  Creighton would have overplayed the sh$t out of Markus and he’d have drawn 2 defenders giving Sam a better look than he got. 

Thanks for playing, Beta.