[Today at 08:49:11 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[Today at 08:46:51 PM]

Oso's NBA profile by MuggsyB
[Today at 08:42:22 PM]

Omax declares by Newsdreams
[Today at 08:22:09 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Marquette opens -6 vs. SHU  (Read 18192 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Marquette opens -6 vs. SHU
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2019, 06:44:53 PM »
What part of Markus being in the play and a distraction do you not understand?  Are you that dense?  Creighton would have overplayed the sh$t out of Markus and he’d have drawn 2 defenders giving Sam a better look than he got. 

Thanks for playing, Beta.

Are you really this dumb?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2019, 06:50:13 PM »
What part of Markus being in the play and a distraction do you not understand?  Are you that dense?  Creighton would have overplayed the sh$t out of Markus and he’d have drawn 2 defenders giving Sam a better look than he got. 

Thanks for playing, Beta.

What part of "we are 100% sure that Wojo's play worked" do you not understand? Are you that dense?

You know what, Ners, as I already have said, I might have tried to draw up something similar to your play. It makes sense to have Markus as a decoy. I won't even go into Wojo perhaps trusting Markus more than JCS to throw that clutch pass; what you suggest certainly is reasonable.

But you are working really, really hard here to show how brilliant you are and how brilliant Wojo isn't -- especially given that Stoopid Wojo's stoopid play worked to absolute perfection. How stoopid!

Of course, you would have run something better than the plays for Bryce Drew and Kris Jenkins if you were the Valpo and Nova coaches in those games, too. For you are Ners, and you once dunked a basketball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »

Oh. He is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2019, 06:51:56 PM »
What part of "we are 100% sure that Wojo's play worked" do you not understand? Are you that dense?

You know what, Ners, as I already have said, I might have tried to draw up something similar to your play. It makes sense to have Markus as a decoy. I won't even go into Wojo perhaps trusting Markus more than JCS to throw that clutch pass; what you suggest certainly is reasonable.

But you are working really, really hard here to show how brilliant you are and how brilliant Wojo isn't -- especially given that Stoopid Wojo's stoopid play worked to absolute perfection. How stoopid!

Of course, you would have run something better than the plays for Bryce Drew and Kris Jenkins if you were the Valpo and Nova coaches in those games, too. For you are Ners, and you once dunked a basketball.

You know what though? There’s zero doubt we get an and one and win that thing in regulation if we had anything near a competent coach on the sideline. The stud himself, Ners, has spoken. It is final, Wojo’s play sucked.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2019, 07:08:51 PM »
Haha! Yes, it takes an alpha male to continue to come back to multiple basketball forums you’ve been banned from multiple times. If it wasn’t so embarrassing that it’s literally sad I’d say it was hilarious.

What’s also hilarious is you claim it gets harder and harder to stay true to my stance on Wojo as the number of people supporting him has dropped to about 3 on this board. So which is it bud? Am I a beta yes man or am I one of 3 Wojo supporters? Have it both ways. I’d expect nothing less.

I lied. This is effing hysterical. Now we’re not just flaunting our athletic accomplishments but we’re flaunting what a manly man we are for always coming back to basketball forums!

yes, it does seem like quite the contradiction. does the floorslapper not know what a yes man is? if youre one of just 3 slurpers left on this board you probably aren’t just some yes man who goes along with what everyone else thinks and hence the reason youve never been banned is youre always on your knees for the majority opinion, hence youre too big of an alpha to have ever been banned.

it appears floorslapper’s incredible accomplishments on the basketball court far exceeded those in the classroom for him. with every post he makes it very clear he is flat out stupid, both about basketball and in general.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2019, 09:24:04 PM »

If you think that point makes me dumb, well, that makes you look even dumber.   

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2019, 10:17:27 PM »
If you think that point makes me dumb, well, that makes you look even dumber.

So anyone who would put Markus as an inbounder in that situation instead of as a decoy is dumb? I can see validity for both strategies.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2019, 11:40:41 PM »
So anyone who would put Markus as an inbounder in that situation instead of as a decoy is dumb? I can see validity for both strategies.

Spoken like a typically stoopid Scooper who didn't once (allegedly) dunk a basketball for Bumblefork H.S.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2019, 08:52:04 AM »
Chartouny with 0 assists and 4 turnovers on Saturday.  That's the guy I want to make a pass with the game on the line.

But I'm a band member so what do I know, hey?

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2019, 09:16:23 AM »

Yes.

And those trying to suggest otherwise should just stop digging themselves a deeper hole of pretzel logic and ignorance.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2019, 09:17:13 AM »
Chartouny with 0 assists and 4 turnovers on Saturday.  That's the guy I want to make a pass with the game on the line.

I'd be fine with Chartouny making the inbounds pass and Howard playing the decoy.

I'd be fine with Howard making the inbounds pass and Chartouny playing the decoy. I'm obviously ecstatic with how this one worked out.

Both decisions have merit. One probably leads to a better pass. The other probably leads to a more open shot.

Trying to use preference for one or the other as proof that a fan or a coach doesn't know basketball is dumb.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2019, 09:17:30 AM »
Yes.

And those trying to suggest otherwise should just stop digging themselves a deeper hole of pretzel logic and ignorance.

So Wojo is dumb.
TAMU

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2019, 09:19:24 AM »
So Wojo is dumb.

It was not an example of great coaching on the fly...

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2019, 09:20:43 AM »
I'd be fine with Chartouny making the inbounds pass and Howard playing the decoy.

I'd be fine with Howard making the inbounds pass and Chartouny playing the decoy. I'm obviously ecstatic with how this one worked out.

Both decisions have merit. One probably leads to a better pass. The other probably leads to a more open shot.

Trying to use preference for one or the other as proof that a fan or a coach doesn't know basketball is dumb.

"Chartouney playing the decoy."

Come on TAMU, you are brighter than that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2019, 09:22:21 AM »
I sincerely love that this thread title is "Marquette opens -6 vs. SHU", yet here we are 4 pages later!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2019, 09:29:13 AM »

You said that anyone who would do that is dumb. Ergo Wojo is dumb. This is why absolutes are dumb.

"Chartouney playing the decoy."

Come on TAMU, you are brighter than that.

?-(

I don't understand. Chartouny is 4th on the team in both 3PM and 3P%, hitting at a 37% clip. If you watch the replay he draws a Creighton defender to the other side of the floor away from Sam. Is that not being a decoy?

One of the biggest plays in Marquette history, Vander's lay in against Davidson had something similar where Jake Thomas (who was a 27% 3P shooter and had made less 3Ps all season than Chartouny has made so far this season) was subbed in for the specific purpose of drawing one of Davidson's defenders out of the lane.
TAMU

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2019, 09:40:00 AM »
You said that anyone who would do that is dumb. Ergo Wojo is dumb. This is why absolutes are dumb.

?-(

I don't understand. Chartouny is 4th on the team in both 3PM and 3P%, hitting at a 37% clip. If you watch the replay he draws a Creighton defender to the other side of the floor away from Sam. Is that not being a decoy?

One of the biggest plays in Marquette history, Vander's lay in against Davidson had something similar where Jake Thomas (who was a 27% 3P shooter and had made less 3Ps all season than Chartouny has made so far this season) was subbed in for the specific purpose of drawing one of Davidson's defenders out of the lane.

Comparing Chartouney as a decoy to Markus as a decoy is insult to Markus.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2019, 10:27:33 AM »
As for being banned from Scoop and Dodds board because I didn't toe the company line, and acquiesce and change my opinions to conform (to being supportive of the coaching decisions of Buzz and Wojo to maximize Derrick Wilson's playing time)?  I'm totally at peace.  Why would I re-evaluate and desire to become a sheep and a "yes man?"  Talk about a sad reality and way to go through life?  Yet, I'm sure it is one you've mastered, no doubt as a beta.
The fact that you think that's why you have been repeatedly banned from Scoop shows you will never, ever, learn a damn thing.  But I guess telling yourself a lie, and hilariously painting yourself as a persecuted "alpha"...I guess it gets you through the day.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2019, 10:32:37 AM »

Or it was an excellent job of preparation.

I mean, even my JV HS team practiced end of game situations.  Down 3, one second left, ball inbounded from offensive baseline, specifically inbounded from that spot.  A pretty basic scenario to practice.   In fact, I'd be very concerned if Wojo has not practiced that scenario all season.

So Wojo calls the play they've practiced for just such a scenario in the 3 second speed huddle.  It's a pretty simple play with only two reads.  First read is Joey in the corner, who is either wide open or covered by the switching big.

The Creighton center switched the screen, so now we move to the second read: a high pass to Sam popping to the left wing.

I assume Markus practiced that play as the inbounder, which is why he inbounded it in the Creighton game.  The other players involved in the play are the screener, which was probably practiced with both Theo and Ed, perhaps even Matt, and a dummy (Joe or Sacar) running fake action.

That's a pretty long explanation for a very simple answer: Wojo called a play they had practiced and the players lined up where they practiced.  Then they executed.

I'm not even saying it was a genius play design.  I don't know what other plays Wojo has in the playbook.  But to assume Wojo was completely winging it "on the fly" is quite a jump to conclusions.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2019, 10:33:35 AM »

Cool band medal, man.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2019, 10:43:34 AM »

As for being banned from Scoop and Dodds board because I didn't toe the company line, and acquiesce and change my opinions to conform (to being supportive of the coaching decisions of Buzz and Wojo to maximize Derrick Wilson's playing time)?  I'm totally at peace.

This is amusing.  Mainly because the only company line we ask to toe is that of Arby's.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2019, 10:45:18 AM »
This is amusing.  Mainly because the only company line we ask to toe is that of Arby's.
Cross that line and the banhammer is merciless.  I know from experience.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »

Come on TAMU....Ners is right.....everyone knows that if Markus would have been used as a decoy all 5 defenders would have covered him leaving Chartouny with an uncontested pass to Sam or Joey for a wide open 3!

Unless of course Joe threw the pass out of bounds.....like he did twice on Saturday...... :(

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2019, 10:54:03 AM »

Did I ever say Chartouny was as good of a decoy as Markus? The only thing that matters is that Joe was good enough of a decoy to make the play work. He drew a Creighton defender away from Sam and Joey so one of them could make the shot.

I can understand why you would switch Joe and Markus. Makes complete sense. It also makes complete sense to have your best passer make the inbounds pass in this situation. There's more than one way to skin a Blue Jay. I don't understand why you feel like there's only one acceptable strategy, especially when the strategy we used worked.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2019, 10:55:03 AM »
Or it was an excellent job of preparation.

I mean, even my JV HS team practiced end of game situations.  Down 3, one second left, ball inbounded from offensive baseline, specifically inbounded from that spot.  A pretty basic scenario to practice.   In fact, I'd be very concerned if Wojo has not practiced that scenario all season.

So Wojo calls the play they've practiced for just such a scenario in the 3 second speed huddle.  It's a pretty simple play with only two reads.  First read is Joey in the corner, who is either wide open or covered by the switching big.

The Creighton center switched the screen, so now we move to the second read: a high pass to Sam popping to the left wing.

I assume Markus practiced that play as the inbounder, which is why he inbounded it in the Creighton game.  The other players involved in the play are the screener, which was probably practiced with both Theo and Ed, perhaps even Matt, and a dummy (Joe or Sacar) running fake action.

That's a pretty long explanation for a very simple answer: Wojo called a play they had practiced and the players lined up where they practiced.  Then they executed.

I'm not even saying it was a genius play design.  I don't know what other plays Wojo has in the playbook.  But to assume Wojo was completely winging it "on the fly" is quite a jump to conclusions.

Totally agree, LH.

My first coaching job was as an assistant at the middle school level. I was stunned that not only did the head coach not want to work on a last-second play if we needed it, but that she thought it would be "a waste of our precious time." We also didn't work on any kind of press break or press. As you might guess, we were not a very well-prepared team.

Once I moved up to become a head coach, I said: "I might not turn out to be very good, but I will have my team prepared for important situations."

We spent 10-15 minutes every practice working on both a press and a press break. I had a fun game in which everybody tried to make a shot from 3/4 court, 1/2 court and about 35 feet -- I wanted to see who could even reach the basket with a prayer. Same thing with long passes -- I wanted to see who I could count on to accurately throw a 50- or 60-foot pass. I set up a full-court last-second play and a half-court last-second play. I taught them how to foul without being called for intentionals. All that kind of stuff. We practiced all end-of-game situations at least once a week.

A few of the things never came into play -- so we were "over-prepared" -- but many did. During my 4 years at the school, we scored 2 buzzer-beaters, one at halftime and one to win a game, and tried another one that resulted in a decent shot that didn't go in. There was luck involved (there always is), but these were not crazy, on-the-fly gut calls; they were practiced. We usually had an answer to a press, to a box-and-1 defense, etc. We never got called for an intentional foul when we had to hack the crap out of opponents to get 'em to the line. Etc.

And I was an inexperienced middle-school coach. I think you are 100% correct that Wojo -- who played 4 years and coached 15 years under one of the greatest coaches ever -- has MANY plays that have been worked on in practice for just about any occasion. I'm guessing that the Creighton play was set up specifically to have Markus inbound the basketball because that's what Wojo was most comfortable with after seeing various scenarios in practice -- where none of us sees what's going on.

The hilarious thing here is that the play worked to perfection and yet it is STILL being criticized by somebody who thinks he knows more about basketball than Wojo, Coach K, John Wooden and Bobby Knight. Combined.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:56:54 AM by MU82 »

feedback